Incoming? Jason McCarthy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not surprising at all.

He's done well against us, and is the typical sort we'll be looking at. He looked good going forward at right wing back despite being more of a centre back, so straightaway you can see why we'd want him - CB, RCB, RB, RWB.

The correct phrase is "Blade Runner" not "Blades Runner".. sloppy journalism... again

Going to Barnsley for around £200k. Shame, wouldn't have minded us signing him.

Going to Barnsley for around £200k. Shame, wouldn't have minded us signing him.

That looks like an absolute steal. Maybe guaranteed first team football has persuaded him to sign for them. No doubt he'll be the next Mawson/Roberts/McDonald. They always pick up and develop good young players.

Would've liked him here, he seems perfect for what we need and when we were linked I was hopeful we'd follow up any interest. Versatile, athletic, young, player of the season twice in a row and at only 200k very low risk.

That looks like an absolute steal. Maybe guaranteed first team football has persuaded him to sign for them. No doubt he'll be the next Mawson/Roberts/McDonald. They always pick up and develop good young players.

Would've liked him here, he seems perfect for what we need and when we were linked I was hopeful we'd follow up any interest. Versatile, athletic, young, player of the season twice in a row and at only 200k very low risk.

My guess is that Wilder went for Baldock over McCarthy. I know McCarthy is historically a centre half but he's played all season and had his best form playing for Walsall as a right back. Just a thought.

My guess is that Wilder went for Baldock over McCarthy. I know McCarthy is historically a centre half but he's played all season and had his best form playing for Walsall as a right back. Just a thought.
He signed for Barnsley yesterday!

Apparently he spoke to us but decided to go to dingleville

Attachments

• IMG_3313.PNG
    IMG_3313.PNG
    167.1 KB · Views: 91
Apparently he spoke to us but decided to go to dingleville

Shit! As I said, it'll be the guarantee of first team football. Fair play to him, I think it's a move that will work out very well for both him and the club.

It's annoying though because I think he would've become a regular for us (RB, RCB or CB) and a big asset.

Players and agents speak to managers all the time and we'll never know how far up the pecking order he was on Wilders list. McCarthy has chosen, when asked, to make it sound like he preferred a move to Barnsley over us and personally I find that hard to believe that many pros would do that, so my guess is that Barnsley wanted him more. Seems a good signing though but so was Baldock too.

Players and agents speak to managers all the time and we'll never know how far up the pecking order he was on Wilders list. McCarthy has chosen, when asked, to make it sound like he preferred a move to Barnsley over us and personally I find that hard to believe that many pros would do that, so my guess is that Barnsley wanted him more. Seems a good signing though but so was Baldock too.

Missed out again.

Seriously, though:
All other things being equal no player in their right mind would sign for Barnsley rather than us. There is a lot of detail that we don't know. Maybe his wage demands were daft; maybe he wanted a longer contract; maybe he was not going to be a guaranteed starter. Perhaps Tufty didn't like the look or sound of him and he didn't have the choice at all?

Sure he spoke to us and was one of two, right backs we were assessing, however we chose the other one.

Missed out again.

Seriously, though:
All other things being equal no player in their right mind would sign for Barnsley rather than us. There is a lot of detail that we don't know. Maybe his wage demands were daft; maybe he wanted a longer contract; maybe he was not going to be a guaranteed starter. Perhaps Tufty didn't like the look or sound of him and he didn't have the choice at all?

I can only guess that he's made the most of his interview and wanted to immediately appeal to Dingle fans! In reality, we know from Baldocks interview that we've been chasing him since the end of the season so my guess is he was the first choice, unless Wilder wanted McCarthy as a centre back.

When interviewed:

"There was a few interested clubs," McCarthy told BBC Radio Sheffield on Wednesday evening, "but, you know, I'm very happy with this one. I wouldn't have picked anyone else."

And when asked if one of them was Sheffield United, he replied: "Yeah... 1-0 Barnsley."

Let's hope CW sorts him and the dingles out on the pitch where it matters and we'll see if he's still a smug fker then

When interviewed:

"There was a few interested clubs," McCarthy told BBC Radio Sheffield on Wednesday evening, "but, you know, I'm very happy with this one. I wouldn't have picked anyone else."

And when asked if one of them was Sheffield United, he replied: "Yeah... 1-0 Barnsley."

Let's hope CW sorts him and the dingles out on the pitch where it matters and we'll see if he's still a smug fker then
Being interested is the initial step and is a long way from putting pen to paper. I am sure we have shown interest in a lot of players. Just typical BS comments players seem to make to endear the fans of their new club to them.

Last edited:
When interviewed:

Nothing there to suggest we offered him anything at all. If he thinks Sheffield United give a fuck about a nonentity signing for Barnsley his brain power must be as low as his ambition. Silly man.

id assume as utd already have Freeman Baldock Stevens lafferty Brayford in FB positions it was mutual decision to pull out. but as someone said above he got to give a good 1st impression i remember leroy lita do it when he signed for dark side & they loved it

No pressure playing in front of 10,000 is there? Would have only been a fill in here anyway.

Back
Top Bottom