Billy’s Sharpener - Sheffield Pale Ale

Discussion in 'General Blades Chat' started by Linz, May 17, 2019.

to hide all adverts

1. Linz

Linz Administrator
    Staff Member

Livers all recovered?

Marvellous.

The Crosspool Ale Makers Society have brewed a beer to raise money for the LJS Foundation.

Details below...

Advertisement:

to hide all adverts.
  2. Tom Bott

Tom Bott Active Member

3. Ranmoorblade

Ranmoorblade Active Member

YouFUMS, Grappler and JohnDenver like this.
  4. Tom Bott

Tom Bott Active Member

Though that's the BS ale not the SB ale. :rolleyes:

Hodgesleftpeg likes this.
  5. killyblade

killyblade New Member

As per post #3, Billy's Sharpener was on in the Railway on Stoke beamback day, and was extremely palatable :p

SherburnBlade likes this.
  6. Hillsboro Blade

Basham’s bowel buster. Cranie’s cranium crusher. Didsy’s doddering draught. Enda’s ‘edache. Sharp’s not much shandy bass. Marvin’s migraines mild. Flecks frothy flagon. Dandelion and Baldock. Dick Stearman’s dastardly delight.

7. Hillsboro Blade

Wilder Turkey Neat, BushKnills.

8. Hillsboro Blade

9. Kozzy_is_my_Dad

Kozzy_is_my_Dad I have a huge member.

They should have released the Steve Bruce beer as a 'Pales into insignificance Ale'.

10. TomJonesBlade

TomJonesBlade 'What's the biggest room in your house?...'

#stevebrucehappynicetime...?

:D

Kozzy_is_my_Dad likes this.
  11. Guesty

Guesty Well-Known Member

For any tee-totallers among us. Love it!

12. benn5712

benn5712 Usually wrong,reyt enough.

Abbeydale Brewery .
    Capture.PNG
    Rename as Delusion for the "other lot".

Halve the ABV, double the price.

No offence to Abbeydale's very enjoyable beers.

13. Cerberus Blade

Cerberus Blade Well-Known Member

I like the name for the Blades themed beer, "Billy" and "Sharpener" have an obvious link. But couldn't they have come up with something better for the Owls themed beer? " Bruce's HappyNiceTime"? eh? There's no obvious link there in the name and I don't think that sums up their season, or even the part season under Bruce. "Bruce's Revival" would have been far more appropriate because that's effectively what happened. He gave them the kiss of life didn't he? There is also a historical link there between "Bruce" and "revival", as in "Robert the Bruce".

Oh well... too late now! They should have asked me sooner.

Hope it tastes good?

14. Fulwood Blade

Fulwood Blade Well-Known Member

Don't get too big headed - but that's brilliant :)

UTB

Kozzy_is_my_Dad likes this.
  15. Cerberus Blade

Cerberus Blade Well-Known Member

If you ever want to see a massive range of beers, most of which collide around the same percentage strength, and are much of a muchness, then Abbeydale Brewery is the one to look out for. I think the majority of their beers are disappointing tbh - and very much alike. On occasions when I've been in the Rising Sun I've scanned the whole length of the bar and almost everything is around 4% and very similar. The exceptions are "Absolution" which is over 5% and "Voyager" which is over 6%. (Of these two, Absolution has a more palatable sweeter taste - it is very similar to Kelham Island's "Pale Rider", which was THE beer to be had in Sheffield when the real ale scene first got under way. Voyager is quite a bitter, metallic aftertaste to it). Beers like "Deception" and "Moonshine" are just awful, bland beers. Occasionally the Rising Sun will get a flavoursome guest, like the ones from Revolution brewery, but they've got a bit of a love in with Acorn brewery of Barnsley - and their beer is even worse!

There are some very good, inventive, beers out there nowadays - I'm afraid Abbeydale isn't at the leading edge anymore - if indeed it ever was.

Linz likes this.
  16. super_pig

super_pig Well-Known Member

fascinating.. umm .. am i the only one who doesn’t have a clue what you’re all talking about? :D

Flawed likes this.
  17. Kozzy_is_my_Dad

Kozzy_is_my_Dad I have a huge member.

Why, thank you!

18. Linz

Linz Administrator
    Staff Member

One thing local breweries have failed to do is produce an outstanding stout or bitter. You can have your pick of 4% IPAs, fruity over-hopped things or now even sours (because you can add any old chemical flavour to make something apparently drinkable) but there’s nothing really for those of us who prefer something a bit darker.

Think Titanic Plum Porter, Bristol Milk Stout, Saltaire’s Triple Chocoholic or Sam Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout. Mmmmmm....

19. LoughboroBlade

LoughboroBlade Well-Known Member

The fact we had Chris Porter with is for 3 and a bit seasons and not one local brewery saw an opportunity here remains a real missed opportunity.

Not sure if it’s limited edition but I saw a month or two ago that Northern Monk do a Henderson’s Relish Bloody Mary Porter. Haven’t tried it, but was intrigued.

Linz and Grappler like this.
  20. Deaneandagana

Deaneandagana Member

A trifle harsh I feel, cast your mind back to the dark days of the 70’s & 80’s the choice in Sheffield was limited to 5/6 volume brewed beers & a raft of tasteless homogeneous lagers.

The demise of the multi national brewing conglomerates has been to the advantage of smaller independent regional brewers of which there are a dozen or so in Sheffield.

With this comes a plethora of options & choice for the consumer, Abbeydale, Kelham Island, Exit 33 to name just a few brew a multitude of different & in many cases seasonal brews.

The Sheffield beer drinking scene is a much more varied & inviting proposition than ever before with a variety of interesting & appealing venues in which to enjoy the product - I would suggest if you search you will be pleasantly surprised what’s on offer.

UTB