Adkins' high point

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

giphy.gif

Three acceptable home performances last season: Bradford, Walsall and Oldham.

The rest of the time I left feeling completely underwhelmed, even after a win.

We were so crushingly inadequate that there were times I didn't even bother to stand up if we scored. We had nothing to play for and the players inspired no enthusiasm whatsoever. I think the Bradford game was the only time I felt they really deserved our support.

PS - Coutts had a blinder. :)

We were so crushingly inadequate that there were times I didn't even bother to stand up if we scored. We had nothing to play for and the players inspired no enthusiasm whatsoever. I think the Bradford game was the only time I felt they really deserved our support.

It's incredible how things can change in the space of a few months. We were devoid of any identity last season. Going to every game just felt like going through the motions. I thought it would be like that for a long, long time.

Thank fuck for Wilder and Knill.

Then after that we played Peterborough at home and it was back to square one and another team that glided past our 'midfield ' and defence.

A win was never followed up with a run.

As others have said it was horrible turning up at the Lane.

God only knows where we'd be now had he remained and I dread to think what our personnel would be!!!!

He was without doubt the worse manager in our history given the resources he had.

Last season had all the traits of a relegation season.

It's incredible how things can change in the space of a few months. We were devoid of any identity last season. Going to every game just felt like going through the motions. I thought it would be like that for a long, long time.
It actually carried on into this season as well for me TD.
As you say, quite a remarkable turn around in such a short time.

I cant comment on bradford home game because the stupid fixture computer conspired against me every year that i have to work on the festive fixtures. But for me old trafford it was the only time i saw some fight from the team & only time they were defensively solid which is a confusing in itself that we couldve conceded 6/7 v Shrewsbury but then deserved to keep a clean sheet v £260m man utd team as Mceveley & Collins were different players (anyone could think the real calamity ones were tied up on the coach) as they were calm, composed, headed every ball clear. Tackles were well timed. Everything they weren't rest of the year

I can't recall what game it was but there was one game towards the end of the season where we scored and I just sat in my seat and clapped. I immediately thought "what the fuck am I doing here when I'm not even excited when we score any more" and was genuinely a bit down about it.

Fast forward to Sharps first goal against Oldham where I whipped off my mates hat and kissed his bald head.

Different times

I cant comment on bradford home game because the stupid fixture computer conspired against me every year that i have to work on the festive fixtures. But for me old trafford it was the only time i saw some fight from the team & only time they were defensively solid which is a confusing in itself that we couldve conceded 6/7 v Shrewsbury but then deserved to keep a clean sheet v £260m man utd team as Mceveley & Collins were different players (anyone could think the real calamity ones were tied up on the coach) as they were calm, composed, headed every ball clear. Tackles were well timed. Everything they weren't rest of the year

That was a good performance but also the most negative I have ever seen a United team set up in my years of watching them.

Probably similar to that of this gentleman.

giphy.gif

Adkins high point by far was at the end of August 2015. Having been thumped at Gillingham, we went on our only real mini run of the season and won the next four, including tricky away trips to Peterborough and Swindon. That Swindon victory moved us up to 2nd, with two winnable home games against Bury and Colchester to come I really thought we could finally go on a charge.

Unfortunately we all know how that turned out, went behind in both and once we went behind last season, we never came back to win. Truly shocking season from the wisdom of geese point onwards.

On her birthday (I know, I know), I took Lady HB to watch Blades beat Fleetwood last season. The two (and more recently three) of us have watched some bobbins in our time following the Blades, but that's the only time after a match that she questioned why she should bother to pay to watch... and that was after a win.

It was a shock then, and a truth in hindsight.

'Tackles were well timed'. Except one.

He was without doubt the worse manager in our history given the resources he had.

Not even close. I'd take 10 seasons of Adkins over 1 with Robson. The team Robson had should have walked the Championship! I'd have honestly rather have picked a random fan in the stadium to take charge of a game over Robson!

Runner up goes to Adrian Heath.

p.s. I'm not so much defending Adkins, more pointing out we've appointed some absolute garbage as managers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not even close. I'd take 10 seasons of Adkins over 1 with Robson. The team Robson had should have walked the Championship! I'd have honestly rather have picked a random fan in the stadium to take charge of a game over Robson!

Runner up goes to Adrian Heath.

p.s. I'm not so much defending Adkins, more pointing out we've appointed some absolute garbage as managers!

I would say that David Weir was undoubtedly the worst manager in our history -complete lack of tactical nous and character . Robson was a close second !

I would say that David Weir was undoubtedly the worst manager in our history -complete lack of tactical nous and character . Robson was a close second !

Thing is, although I see where you're coming from, I reckon if you gave Weir Robsons team he'd probably fluke more points than Robson managed to get.

Back
Top Bottom