New managers first line ups since 1973

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
We all are wondering what team Wilder will pick for tomorrow's match I am taking a look back at our past managers' line ups for their first matches. I am not going to include managers that were appointed during the close season (Porterfield, Spackman, Bruce, Heath, Wilson, Weir, Adkins, Wilder and Jokanovic) or caretaker managers for short spells.

1970s

The line up for John Harris last match in the 3-1 defeat at Coventry was

1. Connaughton
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Flynn
5. Colquhoun
6. Speight
7. Woodward
8. Salmons
9. Dearden
10. Currie
11. Bone

At the time Furphy took over we were sat in 14th position of the table. Only one change was made for Furphy's first match at QPR two weeks later, Dave Staniforth coming in for Jim Bone although in the previous Saturday John Harris named Staniforth to play in the postponed home game against Ipswich.

From what I remember the football under Furphy seemed to be less carefree than it was under Harris.

Badger, Hemsley, Colquhoun, Woody, Salmons and Currie (until his cartilage op in April) were the regular starters for the rest of the season. Eddy came back to the starting line up in Furphy's first match (v Southampton) after recovering from a broken collarbone and played in every game for the rest of the season. Connaughton was dropped from the team in January and Hope was brought back as our first choice keeper until we signed Brown from Chesterfield. Dearden played in only 3 more games after the QPR match as he had injury problems. Speight was banned for a few games in March after being sent off against Stoke and almost left the club on deadline day. Flynn had a spell in the reserves in March and April. Furphy also signed Garbett and Field who I didnt rate. Staniforth fell out of favour in the New Year and was transferred to Bristol Rovers. Cammack played in a few games as did Nicholl.

October 1975. Line up for Furphy's last match in 2-0 defeat at Birmingham

1. Brown
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Calvert
5. Colquhoun (Franks)
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Speight
9. Cammack
10. Currie
11. Field

Cec Coldwell was the caretaker manager in the League Cup defeat at Hull and the 5-1 defeat at Wolves. It was announced before our home game against Stoke that Jimmy Sirrel was to be our new manager but weirdly Sirrel insisted on serving a 4 week notice at Notts County so Cec had to take charge for the Stoke game. In the next few days the Notts County board told Sirrel that it would be better if he starts his new job immediately.

Sirrel's line up in the 1-0 defeat at QPR was

1. McAlister
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Eddy
5. Colquhoun
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Calvert
9. Guthrie
10. Currie
11. Dearden

McAlister returned to the 1st team after a 2 year absence as Brown suffered a shoulder injury against Stoke. Guthrie returned to the team against Hull after injury. Not sure if Dearden played up front with Guthrie or returned to his old position on the left wing?

Badger, Hemsley, Eddy, Field and Cammack didnt play many more games towards the end of 1975 as Sirrel preferred Franks at right back and brought in Garner from Huddersfield to play at left back. Hemsley stayed at the club until 1977 but Badger, Eddy, Field and Cammack left in the New Year and Dearden left during the close season. Sirrel signed ex Celtic superstar Johnstone but he was well past his prime. Sirrel was keen on giving youth players a chance instead of some of the experienced players. We remained bottom of the division between September and May.

September 1977. Line up Sirrel's last game in the 2-1 defeat at Brighton was.

1. Brown
2. Cutbush
3. Kenworthy
4. Speight
5. Colquhoun
6. Flynn
7. Franks
8. Campbell
9. Edwards
10. Salmons
11. Hamson

Think Woody was ruled out of the game due to an injury but he was back in the side in Coldwell's first match in his 4 month caretaker spell replacing Kenworthy. We beat Southampton 3-2

1. Brown
2. Cutbush
3. Franks
4. Speight
5. Colquhoun
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Campbell
9. Edwards
10. Hamson
11. Salmons

I was very disappointed that we didnt keep Salmons although being at school prevented me from seeing him play in the loan spell. My dad was disappointed too. We couldnt match what Leicester had offered for him. Coldwell's caretaker spell started well as we rose from 2nd from bottom to 7th place on New Years Eve. I kept telling my dad that we should make Coldwell our permanent manager but he disagreed every time saying that he is "limited". He didnt really rate him as a player too! In the next game Calvert was our regular left back and remained there for the rest of the season also Brown, Cutbush, Colquhoun, Flynn, Campbell, Edwards and Hamilton were regulars during Coldwell's spell.

After an exciting 2-2 draw against Spurs we then conceded 5 goals in the next three matches.

The line up in the 5-1 defeat at Sunderland was

1. Brown
2. Keeley
3. Calvert
4. Speight
5. Franks
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Campbell
9. Stainrod
10. Hamson
11. Longhorn

February 1978. Stoke at home was supposed to be Haslam's first match but it was postponed due to the pitch being waterlogged. He kept Coldwell in the backroom staff.

His first line up in the 1-0 defeat at Palace.

1. Brown
2. Keeley
3. Calvert
4. Speight
5. Franks
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Campbell
9. Stainrod
10. Hamson
11. Edwards (Cutbush)

There werent much chopping and changing for the rest of the season.

Next - the 1980s

1980s
January 1981

Haslam's line up in his last game v Gillingham (h). Lost 1-0

1. Conroy
2. Ryan
3. Garner
4. Houston
5. MacPhail
6. Trusson
7. Neville
8. Tibbott
9. Butlin (Brazil)
10. Hatton
11. Peters

It was Peters' last match for us. I didnt watch many games that season but I remember thinking in some games, Peters' experience as a player might have helped us. Dropping himself from the team and not playing again was a bad mistake.

His first competitive game as the manager was in the 2-0 defeat at Oxford

1. Conroy
2. Cutbush
3. Garner
4. Kenworthy
5. Houston
6. Trusson
7. Flood (Wiggan)
8. Neville
9. Ryan
10. Hatton
11. Jones

Only 2 changes from Haslam's last match. The rest of the season had a lot of poor results probably due to poor management. I have just realised Ryan played in the Walsall match. If Matthews refused to take the vital penalty, then why didnt Ryan take it too? He had a good shot in him!

March 1986. Porterfield's last match was in the 2-5 home defeat against Norwich

1. Burridge
2. P. Smith
3. Bolton
4. Lewington
5. Stancliffe
6. McNaught
7. Morris
8. Edwards
9. Withe (Arnott)
10. Eves
11. Foley

McEwan's line up in the 1-0 defeat at Carlisle

1. Burridge
2. P. Smith
3. Bolton
4. Lewington
5. Stancliffe
6. Eckhardt
7. Morris
8. Edwards
9. Eves (McGeeney)
10. Arnott
11. Foley

Only 2 changes, not sure if it was due to injuries.

January 1988

McEwan's final line up in the 0-5 home defeat to Oldham

1. Leaning
2. Todd
3. Pike
4. Kuhl (Wilder)
5. Stancliffe
6. B. Smith
7. Morris
8. Philliskirk (Beagrie)
9. Mendonca
10. Dempsey
11. Frain

We won both games under Bergara's spell as caretaker manager.

Bassett's first match was 30 days after the Oldham defeat. We lost 2-1 at Portsmouth in the FA Cup

1. Leaning
2. Barnsley (C. Downes)
3. Pike
4. Todd
5. Stancliffe
6. Smith
7. Duffield (Morris)
8. Philliskirk
9. Cadette
10. Dempsey
11. Beagrie

Only one change from Bergara's second match, Leaning replaced Segers so I assume Forest didnt want Segers to be cup tied as he was on loan from them. Segers was brought back in next match and played in two more games before returning to Forest. Bassett made many changes for the rest of the season with new signings coming in replacing players who were regulars under McEwan and it was too late for him to save the season.

Next - The 1990s

We all are wondering what team Wilder will pick for tomorrow's match I am taking a look back at our past managers' line ups for their first matches. I am not going to include managers that were appointed during the close season (Porterfield, Spackman, Bruce, Heath, Wilson, Weir, Adkins, Wilder and Jokanovic) or caretaker managers for short spells.

1970s

The line up for John Harris last match in the 3-1 defeat at Coventry was

1. Connaughton
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Flynn
5. Colquhoun
6. Speight
7. Woodward
8. Salmons
9. Dearden
10. Currie
11. Bone

At the time Furphy took over we were sat in 14th position of the table. Only one change was made for Furphy's first match at QPR two weeks later, Dave Staniforth coming in for Jim Bone although in the previous Saturday John Harris named Staniforth to play in the postponed home game against Ipswich.

From what I remember the football under Furphy seemed to be less carefree than it was under Harris.

Badger, Hemsley, Colquhoun, Woody, Salmons and Currie (until his cartilage op in April) were the regular starters for the rest of the season. Eddy came back to the starting line up in Furphy's first match (v Southampton) after recovering from a broken collarbone and played in every game for the rest of the season. Connaughton was dropped from the team in January and Hope was brought back as our first choice keeper until we signed Brown from Chesterfield. Dearden played in only 3 more games after the QPR match as he had injury problems. Speight was banned for a few games in March after being sent off against Stoke and almost left the club on deadline day. Flynn had a spell in the reserves in March and April. Furphy also signed Garbett and Field who I didnt rate. Staniforth fell out of favour in the New Year and was transferred to Bristol Rovers. Cammack played in a few games as did Nicholl.

October 1975. Line up for Furphy's last match in 2-0 defeat at Birmingham

1. Brown
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Calvert
5. Colquhoun (Franks)
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Speight
9. Cammack
10. Currie
11. Field

Cec Coldwell was the caretaker manager in the League Cup defeat at Hull and the 5-1 defeat at Wolves. It was announced before our home game against Stoke that Jimmy Sirrel was to be our new manager but weirdly Sirrel insisted on serving a 4 week notice at Notts County so Cec had to take charge for the Stoke game. In the next few days the Notts County board told Sirrel that it would be better if he starts his new job immediately.

Sirrel's line up in the 1-0 defeat at QPR was

1. McAlister
2. Badger
3. Hemsley
4. Eddy
5. Colquhoun
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Calvert
9. Guthrie
10. Currie
11. Dearden

McAlister returned to the 1st team after a 2 year absence as Brown suffered a shoulder injury against Stoke. Guthrie returned to the team against Hull after injury. Not sure if Dearden played up front with Guthrie or returned to his old position on the left wing?

Badger, Hemsley, Eddy, Field and Cammack didnt play many more games towards the end of 1975 as Sirrel preferred Franks at right back and brought in Garner from Huddersfield to play at left back. Hemsley stayed at the club until 1977 but Badger, Eddy, Field and Cammack left in the New Year and Dearden left during the close season. Sirrel signed ex Celtic superstar Johnstone but he was well past his prime. Sirrel was keen on giving youth players a chance instead of some of the experienced players. We remained bottom of the division between September and May.

September 1977. Line up Sirrel's last game in the 2-1 defeat at Brighton was.

1. Brown
2. Cutbush
3. Kenworthy
4. Speight
5. Colquhoun
6. Flynn
7. Franks
8. Campbell
9. Edwards
10. Salmons
11. Hamson

Think Woody was ruled out of the game due to an injury but he was back in the side in Coldwell's first match in his 4 month caretaker spell replacing Kenworthy. We beat Southampton 3-2

1. Brown
2. Cutbush
3. Franks
4. Speight
5. Colquhoun
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Campbell
9. Edwards
10. Hamson
11. Salmons

I was very disappointed that we didnt keep Salmons although being at school prevented me from seeing him play in the loan spell. My dad was disappointed too. We couldnt match what Leicester had offered for him. Coldwell's caretaker spell started well as we rose from 2nd from bottom to 7th place on New Years Eve. I kept telling my dad that we should make Coldwell our permanent manager but he disagreed every time saying that he is "limited". He didnt really rate him as a player too! In the next game Calvert was our regular left back and remained there for the rest of the season also Brown, Cutbush, Colquhoun, Flynn, Campbell, Edwards and Hamilton were regulars during Coldwell's spell.

After an exciting 2-2 draw against Spurs we then conceded 5 goals in the next three matches.

The line up in the 5-1 defeat at Sunderland was

1. Brown
2. Keeley
3. Calvert
4. Speight
5. Franks
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Campbell
9. Stainrod
10. Hamson
11. Longhorn

February 1978. Stoke at home was supposed to be Haslam's first match but it was postponed due to the pitch being waterlogged. He kept Coldwell in the backroom staff.

His first line up in the 1-0 defeat at Palace.

1. Brown
2. Keeley
3. Calvert
4. Speight
5. Franks
6. Flynn
7. Woodward
8. Campbell
9. Stainrod
10. Hamson
11. Edwards (Cutbush)

There werent much chopping and changing for the rest of the season.

Next - the 1980s
Be interesting to see CWs first one and Hecky x2 and slav though.

Superb

Now see if you can predict the future as well as you can revisit the past .

Have a punt at Wilders second coming opening team …..

For me

Wes

Baldock Anel trusty robinson

Bogle Norwood Hamer Ossie

Mcatee

Osula

Silent's threads are like this sites version of BBC4 programming. They take a bit more effort to consume but even if you weren't that interested from the title, they retain your interest and you stay reading until the end anyway.

1990s part1

December 1995

Bassett's last line up in the 2-0 home defeat against Huddersfield

1. Tracey
2. Beard
3. Nilsen
4. Gannon
5. Foran
6. Fitzgerald
7. White (Holland)
8. Veart
9. Blake
10. Hodges (Flo)
11. Whitehouse (Battersby)

I knew that both Bassett's and Kendall's style of play would be like chalk and cheese. There were surprises in Kendall's line up in the 1-1 draw at Ipswich.

1. Kelly
2. Rogers
3. Nilsen
4. Gannon
5. Fitzgerald
6. Tuttle
7. White
8. Veart (Starbuck)
9. Blake (Hodges)
10. Holland
11. Ward

I wasnt really expecting Rogers, Gannon and Holland to go straight into Kendall's first starting line up. My dad came to my house to listen to the radio commentary for me as he always does (can be at his house too) when we are not going to an away match. We were trying to work out the positions the players were playing in. Rogers at right back ?! Why Holland instead of Hodges who I thought would be Kenall's type of player? We were surprised to learn that Blake got subbed at half time because at the time he was the player opponents fear and we thought he would be in Kendall's plans for the rest of the season. He quickly sold him to Bolton after the match!

It didnt take long for Kendall to ditch the likes of Gage, Gannon, Rogers, Flo and many others as he brought in a lot of new signings. Was surprised that he didnt keep Hodges after January. He didnt keep Tuttle for long too. The only players from Bassett's years that Kendall liked were Kelly, Tracey, Ward, Whitehouse and surprisingly Hodgson.

1990s part 2 next

1990s part 2

February 1998

Spackman's last line up in the 2-1 win against Bradford

1. Kelly
2. Short
3. Quinn
4. Borbokis (O'Connor)
5. Derry
6. Holdsworth
7. Saunders (Taylor)
8. Marker
9. Rush
10. Ford
11. Stuart

Not sure who took charge in the 1-0 home defeat against Ipswich but there was only one change to the starting line up against Bradford. Taylor came in for Saunders who probably was injured.

Steve Thompson's line up in the FA Cup draw at Coventry.

1. Kelly
2. Short (Beard)
3. Quinn
4. Borbokis
5. Sandford
6. Holdsworth
7. Ford
8. Marker
9. Taylor
10. Marcelo (Katchouro)
11. Stuart

Rush didnt continue his loan spell with us, so Marcelo came in. Not sure if Thompson dropped Derry or Derry was injured/suspended

In April, Thompson preferred a flat back 4 rather than sticking to Spackman's 3-5-2. This didnt seem to suit Borbokis and Quinn. He signed Devlin, Hamilton and Wilder. We lost to a Shearer goal in the FA Cup semi and failed to win the play offs.

Heath's line up in that 3-1 home defeat to Port Vale

1. Tracey
2. Kozluk
3. Quinn
4. Gysbrechts (Ribeiro)
5. Murphy
6. Sandford
7. Derry
8. Ford
9. Bent
10. Katchouro (Smith)
11. Hunt (Devlin)

Slade was caretaker manager in the next 2 games, didnt change the line ups much.

Warnock's first line up in the 1-0 win against Portsmouth

1. Tracey
2. Derry
3. Quinn
4. Murphy
5. Gysbrechts
6. Sandford
7. Devlin
8. Ribeiro (Kozluk)
9. Bent (Katchouro)
10. Ford
11. Smith (Hunt)

Not many changes, Warnock signed Brown then let Smith (who I rated) and Katchouro go, brought in loan players such as Notman and Wilson. Derry left the club in March. We were 2nd bottom of the table in Heath's last match but finished in 16th place at the end of the season.

2000s next

Superb

Now see if you can predict the future as well as you can revisit the past .

Have a punt at Wilders second coming opening team …..

For me

Wes

Baldock Anel trusty robinson

Bogle Norwood Hamer Ossie

Mcatee

Osula
Isn’t Baldock injured ?

1990s part 2

February 1998

Spackman's last line up in the 2-1 win against Bradford

1. Kelly
2. Short
3. Quinn
4. Borbokis (O'Connor)
5. Derry
6. Holdsworth
7. Saunders (Taylor)
8. Marker
9. Rush
10. Ford
11. Stuart

Not sure who took charge in the 1-0 home defeat against Ipswich but there was only one change to the starting line up against Bradford. Taylor came in for Saunders who probably was injured.

Steve Thompson's line up in the FA Cup draw at Coventry.

1. Kelly
2. Short (Beard)
3. Quinn
4. Borbokis
5. Sandford
6. Holdsworth
7. Ford
8. Marker
9. Taylor
10. Marcelo (Katchouro)
11. Stuart

Rush didnt continue his loan spell with us, so Marcelo came in. Not sure if Thompson dropped Derry or Derry was injured/suspended

In April, Thompson preferred a flat back 4 rather than sticking to Spackman's 3-5-2. This didnt seem to suit Borbokis and Quinn. He signed Devlin, Hamilton and Wilder. We lost to a Shearer goal in the FA Cup semi and failed to win the play offs.

Heath's line up in that 3-1 home defeat to Port Vale

1. Tracey
2. Kozluk
3. Quinn
4. Gysbrechts (Ribeiro)
5. Murphy
6. Sandford
7. Derry
8. Ford
9. Bent
10. Katchouro (Smith)
11. Hunt (Devlin)

Slade was caretaker manager in the next 2 games, didnt change the line ups much.

Warnock's first line up in the 1-0 win against Portsmouth

1. Tracey
2. Derry
3. Quinn
4. Murphy
5. Gysbrechts
6. Sandford
7. Devlin
8. Ribeiro (Kozluk)
9. Bent (Katchouro)
10. Ford
11. Smith (Hunt)

Not many changes, Warnock signed Brown then let Smith (who I rated) and Katchouro go, brought in loan players such as Notman and Wilson. Derry left the club in March. We were 2nd bottom of the table in Heath's last match but finished in 16th place at the end of the season.

2000s next
Rush was still with us when we played Coventry. He missed the game because he was Cup tied. He’d played for Newcastle in the 3rd round. He played his last game v Man City 2 weeks after Coventry.

1990s part1

December 1995

1. Tracey
2. Beard
3. Nilsen
4. Gannon
5. Foran
6. Fitzgerald
7. White (Holland)
8. Veart
9. Blake
10. Hodges (Flo)

I knew that both Bassett's and Kendall's style of play would be like chalk and cheese. There were surprises in Kendall's line up in the 1-1 draw at Ipswich.

1. Kelly
2. Rogers
3. Nilsen
4. Gannon
5. Fitzgerald
6. Tuttle
7. White
8. Veart (Starbuck)
9. Blake (Hodges)
10. Holland
11. Ward

I wasnt really expecting Rogers, Gannon and Holland to go straight into Kendall's first starting line up. My dad came to my house to listen to the radio commentary for me as he always does (can be at his house too) when we are not going to an away match. We were trying to work out the positions the players were playing in. Rogers at right back ?! Why Holland instead of Hodges who I thought would be Kenall's type of player? We were surprised to learn that Blake got subbed at half time because at the time he was the player opponents fear and we thought he would be in Kendall's plans for the rest of the season. He quickly sold him to Bolton after the match!

It didnt take long for Kendall to ditch the likes of Gage, Gannon, Rogers, Flo and many others as he brought in a lot of new signings. Was surprised that he didnt keep Hodges after January. He didnt keep Tuttle for long too. The only players from Bassett's years that Kendall liked were Kelly, Tracey, Ward, Whitehouse and surprisingly Hodgson.

1990s part 2 next

As anyone who was at Ipswich will tell you, the transformation in our playing style in the space of one week was remarkable.

Blake started his Blades career by coming on at Ipswich, and finished it by coming off at Ipswich.

2000s
Robson's last match in scoreless draw at WBA

1. Kenny
2. Geary
3. Naysmith
4. Kilgallon
5. Morgan
6. Speed (Armstrong)
7. Cotterill
8. S. Quinn
9. Beattie (Hulse)
10. Shelton (Gillespie)
11. Martin

Blackwell's line up in 1-1 draw at QPR

1. Kenny
2. Geary
3. Naysmith
4. Kilgallon
5. Morgan
6. S. Quinn
7. Stead (Cotterill)
8. Tonge
9. Beattie (Hulse)
10. Sharp (Shelton)
11. Armstrong

Blackwell made 4 changes from the last match and there was a change in style of play which was more quicker and attacking than Robson's. We were in 16th place in Robson's last match and finished in 9th position at the end of the season.

1990s part1

December 1995

1. Tracey
2. Beard
3. Nilsen
4. Gannon
5. Foran
6. Fitzgerald
7. White (Holland)
8. Veart
9. Blake
10. Hodges (Flo)

1. Kelly
2. Rogers
3. Nilsen
4. Gannon
5. Fitzgerald
6. Tuttle
7. White
8. Veart (Starbuck)
9. Blake (Hodges)
10. Holland
11. Ward

1990s part 2 next

Who the hell was Fitzgerald?!

Have absolutely no recollection of him.

2010s part 1
August 2010. Blackwell's last line up in 3-0 home defeat against QPR

1701878851058.png

Line up for Speed's first match at Boro, lost 1-0
1701878801806.png

Line up in Speeds last match, 1-0 defeat at Barnsley

1701878307823.png

Carver took charge in next 3 games

Adams first match was in 4-2 defeat at Burnley
1701878657531.png

A poor season and difficult for me to recollect matches

When you look at some of the sides in this thread you realise how much rubbish we have had to endure and , despite the current problems, how much better these players are !
Take note those who say this is the worst team ever !

Back
Top Bottom