Adkins - should he be sacked?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After a season of abject failure should Adkins be sacked?

• Total voters
The problem with SUFC is it's rife with complacency, chairman, board, manager, players (far, far too many just treading water, with the notable exception of Billy Sharp), even some of the fans (60% on this board) are happy to go along with it.

It starts at the top, so ideally we want McCabe replaced with someone with drive, hunger, motivation and a real will to move the club forward. That isn't likely to happen over night,
next best thing has to be a football manager with the same qualities as listed above, who can then install that into his team and players. They need someone who will go through the first team like a dose of salts, who doesn't stand on ceremony and gets them all dying for the cause (is there enough cliches in there ;) but they're cliches for a reason!). I haven't seen this from the current manager and I can't see it changing next season if he remains.

"...It starts at the top, so ideally we want McCabe replaced with someone with drive, hunger, motivation and a real will to move the club forward. That isn't likely to happen over night,.."

This is not going to happen, full stop.

We have been over this many times pal, no one is going to pay the money that Kevin McCabe wants for SUFC.

I get the impression this forum is more pro-Adkins than most of our fans.

In an ideal world both Adkins and McCabe would go. However, our club is at such a low point with no ambition or direction, I can see both staying and yet another season of appaling underachievement.
Your first sentence is hard to judge in the grand scheme of things, unless we can ask every Blade out there.

Adkins has had his grounding season getting rid of Cloughys' mess, it is only fair to give him the chance to fully put his plans and squad into fruition and he can only do that if he starts next season as our manager.

Ultimately, you could be right but I'm willing to support him going into next season, McCabe on the other hand, that's a different kettle of fish.

It'll cost us more if we keep Adkins and it's another wasted season, or even worse we get relegated.
How do you work that out, mate?

McCabe will have to fork out for more compensation meaning the new manager has even less money to spend on making our very mediocre squad better, leading to us finishing even lower than this year, we surely have to stick with Adkins for this reason alone. He also has a better idea of what is required whereas the new man will have to start all over again, fuck that!

How do you work that out, mate?

McCabe will have to fork out for more compensation meaning the new manager has even less money to spend on making our very mediocre squad better, leading to us finishing even lower than this year, we surely have to stick with Adkins for this reason alone. He also has a better idea of what is required whereas the new man will have to start all over again, fuck that!

I find that people who really want Adkins out are prone to just making shit up if they believe it backs up their argument.

60% in favour's hardly a ringing endorsement though. Cloughy was polling higher at last season's end, wasn't he?
It's a good job I don't give a flying fuck regarding Clough then, fuck Jimmy Floyd Cloughybaink. :)

I think he'll be given the completely unrealistic remit of automatic promotion next season, and one way or another he'll leave the club mid season. If he succeeds it will be success of Bassett or Warnockesque proportions (eg in spite of the boardroom). The stuff about the academy was code for cost cutting. There will not be the "new money" we were hoping and expecting.
Jeez, that's not looking good.
So there's not going to be much money invested at all then? I really don't see the board's logic. Give the man enough money to compete with the top teams in the league and it'll save us money in the long run. Total disaster of a club.

So there's not going to be much money invested at all then? I really don't see the board's logic. Give the man enough money to compete with the top teams in the league and it'll save us money in the long run. Total disaster of a club.
There is no cash. McCabe isn't made of money like some slave-owning Tuna Fish Company Owner you know..

There is no cash. McCabe isn't made of money like some slave-owning Tuna Fish Company Owner you know..

Is it a policy for us to stop buying tins of tuna , with mass netting , not using fishing lines , sustainability , or that Johnny Foreigner fucker having somat fishy to do with S6.

We are skint, the prince has been nothing but an embarrassment to the club, the board have no ambition..

We will be on league one whilever mcabe is in charge, he's a poor man in football terms, and as far as Saudi royalty goes, he's a pauper, not a prince..

Does it matter who the manager is anymore, clearly we all see the big problem

Can't see how we can do anything else?

Agree Grumpy . Also it does make economical sense spending money on player recruitment than paying off another sacked manager , unless we have a hidden insurance policy to cover losses.

Adkins I feel will get it right , but the differance of opinion he may have with McCabe and the transfer technical committee could be over Hammond coming or not.

Could Hammond be his downfall or his saviour. The more I see the blades without him , the more I think we need him.

It's either we are that bad more than Hammond being that good.

As time has gone on you get the general impression that the majority now seem to think it was the right decision to sack Clough. And now judging by the respective polls, a larger % of those on this forum wanted to keep Clough as opposed to wanting to keep Adkins.

As time has gone on you get the general impression that the majority now seem to think it was the right decision to sack Clough. And now judging by the respective polls, a larger % of those on this forum wanted to keep Clough as opposed to wanting to keep Adkins.

Clough turned out to be crap.

So might Adkins, time will tell, you thought he was weeks after he arrived, others decided a bit later, I'm increasingly critical, so something will have to give in time (either Adkins' success rate or his job).

Who would be a football manager?

Clough turned out to be crap.

So might Adkins, time will tell, you thought he was weeks after he arrived, others decided a bit later, I'm increasingly critical, so something will have to give in time (either Adkins' success rate or his job).

Who would be a football manager?
Just pointing out the facts that was all. General consensus now is that Clough was right to be sacked, and yet compared with Adkins, a larger percentage of those on the forum wanted Clough to stay.

By the way, I was pretty much on my tod regarding Adkins earlier in the season, and now there's 82 people on the forum agreeing with me. I wouldn't necessarily count that as a bad thing.

Just pointing out the facts that was all. General consensus now is that Clough was right to be sacked, and yet compared with Adkins, a larger percentage of those on the forum wanted Clough to stay. I was pretty much on my tod and now there's 82 people agreeing with me. I wouldn't necessarily count that as a bad thing.

Not disagreeing with you Barnstar, it's all a bit subjective and in my opinion it was right to be rid of Clough on the basis of the second half of last season, and increasingly I think the same of Adkins, on the basis of a few false dawns and no real improvement this season. We have "debated" about Adkins in the past and I'm not embarrassed to say that some of what you said has appeared to be borne out. As it stands, I hope we give him some more time and my expectations are realised, but I know if it does not start to improve soon then something will have to give.

I was torn over Clough's departure. Despite the Swindon debacle, we had some cracking cup nights last season. This season we've had nothing.

No great performances (although we've had a fair few lucky wins), no positivity in the cups and most importantly no credible promotion challenge.

Regardless of the quality of players at his disposal, Adkins still hasn't instilled any "bottle" into the team.

We haven't been in the top six now since October - that's over six months ago.

We're going backwards and there's nothing to suggest things will be any better next season. I'd like to see him leave asap after Sunday.

Just pointing out the facts that was all. General consensus now is that Clough was right to be sacked, and yet compared with Adkins, a larger percentage of those on the forum wanted Clough to stay.

By the way, I was pretty much on my tod regarding Adkins earlier in the season, and now there's 82 people on the forum agreeing with me. I wouldn't necessarily count that as a bad thing.
Some might call for a manager to be sacked on day one. Within 2 years, they will have been "proved right", in 90 percent of cases.

Of course, this doesn't prove anything, other than the person calling for a managers head on day one is a prat.

UTB

After a season of abject failure, arguably the 2nd worse in the club's history, should Adkins be sacked?

No, but he does need a good old Scarborough Warning. Performances need to improve, recruitment needs to improve, those for me are the starting point.

He needs to demonstrate the sort of skill he had at Scunthorpe and Southampton, and not look like the busted flush he's threatening to become here.

I voted to keep in an earlier poll on the basis I was worried Kevvy would have one of his ambition/stupidity crossovers and appoint Schteve. Following the recent fans forum I'm now reassured to know his feet are on the ground, he's in control and he won't be doing that.

I'm now voting keep because Graham Westley.

Graham Westley, now there would be the bottom of the barrel.

Many a true word.

Could the catyilst be Dean Hammond.

UTB
I don't see much evidence that he has a great deal of "grit" - he has shown wanting when standing up to the Board (imo) and certain players. I don't think he has the bottle to stand up to the supporters for another year and, as you suggest, Hammond's departure could be the final nail.
UTB

Did he meet the objective set to him by Kev? NO
Was it a realistic objective for his first year? Questionable
Is there anybody out there (available) who would have taken this lot up? Questionable
Will he bollocks talk himself the sack? Quite likely

I think Warnock would have pissed this league, I reckon hed have got us into the top 2 if hed come here instead of saving Toytown let alone having an entire season.

I also think Clough would have got us up too but not half as certain as Warnock

I imagine Clough would have got us comfortably into the Play Offs, but the football would have been dull as dishwater.

If appointed at the start of the season, Warnock would have had a big job on, as he'd probably have wanted to get rid of 70 percent of the squad and bring his own players in. I reckon we could have been been 9th or 10th around Christmas under Neil, followed by a late surge up the table after the JTW. Given the resources at their disposal, I doubt any manager working today would have done any worse than the mid-table finish we can now expect under Adkins. David Weir excepted, maybe.

I don't believe that we need to spend "millions" to escape our self-imposed exile in this agricultural Division.

If we clear the decks as we should; ie release all the out of contract players and transfer list players like Coutts, Scougal, Harris, Freeman etc then we will save a fortune on wages, as most of the out of contract players are likely to be senior pro's on the best wages at the Club.

By using 6 good season long loans, a handful of decent free-transfers and a couple of well picked permanent signings, we can assemble a squad capable of being consistent and competing at this level and escaping L1, without spending a fortune and certainly without increasing the wages budget.

If NA is allowed to do this and still falls short; then he should be sacked ( in fact castrated and sacked ) !!

The question is; will NA be backed and allowed to do what is necessary by the Board ....... if not, then we know exactly where to direct our displeasure o_O

UTB & FTP

Back
Top Bottom