Adkins - should he be sacked?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After a season of abject failure should Adkins be sacked?

• Total voters
Changed my mind again today and I would be happy to see him gone. It's not just the results, the performances have been even worse. Today those players should have been bouncing off the dressing room ceiling waiting to get out there, yet we were 2-0 down after 8 minutes. Can't be 40 odd players fault why we have been so bad?

I think the more pertinent question would be : should he resign to salvage his reputation. Anybody that went to the fans forums will know why
Do you think that's a possibility given the incompetence at board level?
I thought it was the funny that the only thing he could really admit to a mistake on was the fact that he moved away and gave himself less control.

Less than 2 weeks ago, mid afternoon before this shyte weather set in.

Actually I checked, it was April 20th so 10 days ago
Looks like next season's budget put him off if the club did speak to him. Cant think who would replace Adkins

Sack Adkins. Wait two or three weeks to interview managers. New guy comes in. New guy takes some time to assess the squad. New guy realises most of Summer is wasted and tells the fans we'll strengthen at Christmas. Christmas comes and the automatic spot is out of sight again.

Or, keep a manager who's succeeded previously at this level (more than once) and the next, accept that he's had a bad season, but know that we can at least make the most of a closed season for once, have some consistency, and maybe have a chance at something.

With Adkins' defence of players like Hammond and McEveley my faith in him is low. My faith in the repetition of sacking a manager, wasting a transfer window, and expecting new results, is much lower.

I don't think he will be but his tactics and signings have baffled me.

I think he should go but am happy for him to have another attempt...I think...I need a drink!

I think the one thing that gives me hope is Adkins tactics. He didn't just stick with same formation every week, he's tried different things and has also tried to stick with the same team when form has allowed. To many average players is the problem nothing else. Flynn is a classic example. He has some ability and on his day he can be a real handful but so often he scuffs his shots or just doesn't beat his man and put in a decent cross. We lost so much when Murohy went and if we still had Murphy I'm convinced we'd have finished in the top six this season.

His signings have been mixed at best. Sharp came off but give credit there because many of our fans thought he'd had better days. Edgar is reasonable but needs someone better than himself alongside him. Wollford and Sammon have been woeful. Hammond the epitome of average and I hope we don't sign him but chances are he will be signed. He will probably do better with better players around him, but do we honestly think we can bring in these better players. Are team is devoid of creativity and its going to need probably 6 new signings that are capable of going straight into the first team, as opposed to just squad players.

After a season of abject failure, arguably the 2nd worse in the club's history, should Adkins be sacked?

I believe this is called a biased question.

And no, he shouldn't.

By all accounts he's doing a lot of work behind the scenes at the club to make things better. It has been a failure of a season which, despite many mitigating circumstances, he must shoulder the blame. He also must be given a season where he actually has some kind of control.

No ive said before that this team have shown potential in the 10games after oldham home game on 12 March Coventry game is hopefully blip & but he will be under huge pressure to get promotion I would say 4th toughest job outside the PL (villa Sunderland/Newcastle &leeds above) must be minimum top 4 by November/December & then promotion next may otherwise we will have get rid because this is ok as a season of transition. But anything that keeps us in league 1 is unacceptable next season

I think due to the hated transfer windows the best time to change managers nowadays is before the New Year

Why? Most managers say when interviewed about them say the Jan window always leads to fewer availability of players and a higher price to pay for them.

I don't even think they've talked mate. Also remember he applied before and didn't get the job.
Why? Most managers say when interviewed about them say the Jan window always leads to fewer availability of players and a higher price to pay for them.
Not for the January window. Nowadays due to the transfer windows, nowadays from January more and more clubs are preparing to sign players on pre-contracts ready for the summer so I prefer the new manager to be involved with the recommendations of who we should sign (six/seven months preparations is better than one or two if he comes in the summer).

I was told from a source that I trust a few weeks ago that more than a handful number of players have already agreed to sign for us (presumably most, if not all are on pre-contracts) so I assumed that Adkins was staying. Not long after that came Sunjihi's post which threw me. I came back to the trusted source telling him about Sunjihi's post. He shrugged his shoulders. I asked him if the players who are coming to us were the ones Adkins had recommended. He shrugged his shoulders again. Who is the "Technical board" McCabe was talking about when he was talking about the summer recruitment? Could one of the board be the incoming manager replacing Adkins? Maybe the incoming DoF(whatever) is involved?

I believe this is called a biased question.

And no, he shouldn't.

By all accounts he's doing a lot of work behind the scenes at the club to make things better. It has been a failure of a season which, despite many mitigating circumstances, he must shoulder the blame. He also must be given a season where he actually has some kind of control.

Unseen work behind the scenes eh? Sounds familiar.

I don't think we can lay all the blame at his door. The lack of investment in the JTW for example was shocking.

But he has brought in several players that we can all see are poor, but he insists on picking week in week out. He has presided over many poor, performances. He makes changes far too late and brings on either bizarre or lacklustre replacements. He took far too long to assess what he had and make changes to personal and tactics.

For a guy with his CV and at this level, he has been utterly disappointing.

Unseen work behind the scenes eh? Sounds familiar.

I don't think we can lay all the blame at his door. The lack of investment in the JTW for example was shocking.

But he has brought in several players that we can all see are poor, but he insists on picking week in week out. He has presided over many poor, performances. He makes changes far too late and brings on either bizarre or lacklustre replacements. He took far too long to assess what he had and make changes to personal and tactics.

For a guy with his CV and at this level, he has been utterly disappointing.

I just think it's incredibly difficult to judge his performance without knowing the full facts about what has been going on behind the scenes.

It would seem to me that:

Salmon was a done deal before he arrived
He signed the 20+ goals a season striker we'd been missing since Ched
We signed Woolford as a back-up for Murphy
Murphy is then sold
Our cover is either Che (who doesn't work there and K Wallace who gets injured)
He brings in Edgar who isn't perfect but an improvement
He probably assumed taking on a big squad who almost play-offed last season would require a fe tweaks but what he finds is a mess
There are too many players, too many injury-prone players, a drinking culture and a lot of players who don't care
He attempts to patch up all the holes but the money he's promised for the JTW is withdrawn
He brings in Hammond, a player he knows and trusts, to shore up the centre and try and sort things out behind the scenes. Then he discovers his legs have gone and it doesn't work on the pitch and there's no one else in the squad who can partner him in midfield
He brings in Baptiste who is a big improvement
He ships out a raft of problem players. None of whom are successful where they've gone
He simply doesn't have the players he needs to play the way he wants to. Finally finding a formation which kind of works with people playing out of position

He's seemingly spent the season trying to plug leaks with far to few corks.

This is why I believe he deserves next season. His interviews are appalling and he's underperformed as a manager this season, but we need to have some consistency as a club and he's got a great track record. Getting rid of us just continues the issues we've had for years. Let's see what he can do.

I just think it's incredibly difficult to judge his performance without knowing the full facts about what has been going on behind the scenes.

Murphy is then sold
He probably assumed taking on a big squad who almost play-offed last season would require a fe tweaks but what he finds is a mess
There are too many players, too many injury-prone players, a drinking culture and a lot of players who don't care
He attempts to patch up all the holes but the money he's promised for the JTW is withdrawn
He brings in Hammond, a player he knows and trusts, to shore up the centre and try and sort things out behind the scenes. Then he discovers his legs have gone and it doesn't work on the pitch and there's no one else in the squad who can partner him in midfield
He ships out a raft of problem players. None of whom are successful where they've gone
He simply doesn't have the players he needs to play the way he wants to. Finally finding a formation which kind of works with people playing out of position

This is why I believe he deserves next season. His interviews are appalling and he's underperformed as a manager this season, but we need to have some consistency as a club and he's got a great track record. Getting rid of us just continues the issues we've had for years. Let's see what he can do.

That great track record will soon be balanced out .

Scunthorpe. Southampton = Reading Sheffield United.

I think the one thing that gives me hope is Adkins tactics. He didn't just stick with same formation every week, he's tried different things and has also tried to stick with the same team when form has allowed. To many average players is the problem nothing else. Flynn is a classic example. He has some ability and on his day he can be a real handful but so often he scuffs his shots or just doesn't beat his man and put in a decent cross. We lost so much when Murohy went and if we still had Murphy I'm convinced we'd have finished in the top six this season.

His signings have been mixed at best. Sharp came off but give credit there because many of our fans thought he'd had better days. Edgar is reasonable but needs someone better than himself alongside him. Wollford and Sammon have been woeful. Hammond the epitome of average and I hope we don't sign him but chances are he will be signed. He will probably do better with better players around him, but do we honestly think we can bring in these better players. Are team is devoid of creativity and its going to need probably 6 new signings that are capable of going straight into the first team, as opposed to just squad players.
funny. tactics are the thing that really worries me. it strikes me of someone who keeps throwing down the runes hoping me might land on a formation that works.. nothing to do with actual planning

That great track record will soon be balanced out .

Scunthorpe. Southampton = Reading Sheffield United.

I'm not sure it's fair to say that 4 promotions in 6 (?) seasons is somehow equalled out by poorer seasons in his last 2 jobs. Reading and Sheffield United make up less than a third of his English managerial career!

I'm by no means convinced that next year will be much better, though I'm hopeful it will be. His CV is still very strong though even when you take this season and his experience at Reading into account. Indeed, the performance of Reading since he left suggests he might not have been the primary reason for failure there (much as I don't think he is wholly responsible for this year's failure this season either).

He won't be sacked.

But I would love to be a fly on the wall at the end of season board meeting to hear his explanation of how the club with the biggest pay roll (or 2nd) never really threatened the play offs all season.

Be curious if he has the balls to tell the board "its my way or the highway" ;)

UTB
I'd have no problem at all if I were Adkins.

"How the fuck did you let the last bloke spend all that on this lot? And thanks for lumbering me with Connor Sammon".

If I were a member of our board I'd consider resignation before I tackled the current manager.

UTB

funny. tactics are the thing that really worries me. it strikes me of someone who keeps throwing down the runes hoping me might land on a formation that works.. nothing to do with actual planning

I think he's been desperately trying to get the players he's got into a formation which works. Given the quality of players and a number of injuries that's not exactly a simple process!

Murphy is then sold

Pretty much spot on for me.

He dropped a couple of clangers early on that haven't made his job any easier- McEverley as skipper being one.

He didn't sign Sammon.

UTB

He didn't sign Sammon.

UTB

No he signed him on loan, which was his signing, just not permanently. Sammon's record is average at best. That's probably the one thing Adkins did that I disagree with. Otherwise I'm still a big fan.

Are you saying that Clough sorted the deal out before he left, because as far as I'm aware the deal was by Adkins. He signed for us on 25th of July and we sacked Clough on 25th of May so unless the deal was already sorted by the time Clough left I don't see how Adkins didn't sign him.

No he signed him on loan, which was his signing, just not permanently. Sammon's record is average at best. That's probably the one thing Adkins did that I disagree with. Otherwise I'm still a big fan.

Are you saying that Clough sorted the deal out before he left, because as far as I'm aware the deal was by Adkins. He signed for us on 25th of July and we sacked Clough on 25th of May so unless the deal was already sorted by the time Clough left I don't see how Adkins didn't sign him.
It's been covered by lots of people, and was discussed at the fans forum the other night according to some who went. Clough and Brannigan did that deal.

UTB

The decision whether or not to sack Adkins should be taken on its own merits, not on those of previous sackings.

We've gone backwards under him. If you thin he should stay, what do you see that convinces you he will reverse that?

Back
Top Bottom