Adkins - should he be sacked?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

After a season of abject failure should Adkins be sacked?

• Total voters

After a season of abject failure, arguably the 2nd worse in the club's history, should Adkins be sacked?
probably the 3rd worst , but the point stands
be v 4th including the 1 season in div 4 but we won it so wasnt all that bad , even though officially its a lower position

I think Warnock would have pissed this league, I reckon hed have got us into the top 2 if hed come here instead of saving Toytown let alone having an entire season.

I also think Clough would have got us up too but not half as certain as Warnock

You're probably right mate, Clough may have got us up but I don't think I could have stood watching it.
Warnock also yes I'm sure he could have promoted us, but I didn't see him as available start of season, thought he had his feet up for good. Surprised me (pleasantly) when he went to Millers, I fact I went along to watch went I couldn't get a ticket for Chessy away.

Clough turned out to be crap.

So might Adkins, time will tell, you thought he was weeks after he arrived, others decided a bit later, I'm increasingly critical, so something will have to give in time (either Adkins' success rate or his job).

Who would be a football manager?

Adkins' record suggests he was an immediate impact manager. Both at Scunthorpe and Southampton it was in his first season that he achieved promotion. With Scunny he got relagated thereafter but took them back up. With Southampton as we know he had a second successive promotion. At Reading he was in the play off positions before losing the last game of the season to fall outside the play offs. The following season he was dismissed. He only twice achieved more than two consecutive victories at Reading.

Adkins' record suggests he was an immediate impact manager. Both at Scunthorpe and Southampton it was in his first season that he achieved promotion. With Scunny he got relagated thereafter but took them back up. With Southampton as we know he had a second successive promotion. At Reading he was in the play off positions before losing the last game of the season to fall outside the play offs. The following season he was dismissed. He only twice achieved more than two consecutive victories at Reading.

Successive promotions with Southampton and a relegation then promotion with Scunny would point out that he isn't an immediate impact manager. The opposite in fact.

No.

For me this comes down to the following equation.

The likelihood that Adkins can turn the team around versus The likelihood that the board can select a better manager this time

Ultimately, I trust Adkins more than the board, despite what has been a terrible season.

How could Big Nige achieve success with a huge squad of overpaid lazy players on long contracts, some of which will last to the end of next season.

Hopefully in this summer some will go, as to the rest perhaps he should have a summer sale, sort of a 2 for the price of one stock clear out.

Give the man a break. Next season will be better.

I can feel it in my water.

Successive promotions with Southampton and a relegation then promotion with Scunny would point out that he isn't an immediate impact manager. The opposite in fact.

How do you get that? Both were achieved in the season he started employment. Not a year later. Indeed at Reading it kind of went the other way.

How do you get that? Both were achieved in the season he started employment. Not a year later. Indeed at Reading it kind of went the other way.

The Southampton impact lasted almost two full seasons then?

How did he get a promotion and a relegation in the same season with Scunny?

The Southampton impact lasted almost two full seasons then?

How did he get a promotion and a relegation in the same season with Scunny?

Immediate impact = success straight away i.e. no lag. He got that at Scunthorpe and Southampton in his first season at each not the second or the third the first, yes? There was no delay. Contrast with Suralex, kinda took a tad longer. The fact that he also achieved promotion in his second season at Southampton doesn't dilute my argument. The argument is there was no lag. At this SUFC he hasn't achieved either...yet.

From the Fans Forum the other night, watching the video, my money is on Adkins staying, with tightened procedures for procuring new players (or loan players) and a greater reliance on the Academy.

Immediate impact = success straight away i.e. no lag. He got that at Scunthorpe and Southampton in his first season at each not the second or the third the first, yes? There was no delay. Contrast with Suralex, kinda took a tad longer. The fact that he also achieved promotion in his second season at Southampton doesn't dilute my argument. The argument is there was no lag. At this SUFC he hasn't achieved either...yet.

From the Fans Forum the other night, watching the video, my money is on Adkins staying, with tightened procedures for procuring new players (or loan players) and a greater reliance on the Academy.

Southampton. He's not just an impact manager then (my point) because he maintained the success of his first season.

Everyone has the ability to change the original vote they did for the poll if after Sunday you have changed your opinion. I'm sticking by my No on the basis I would give Adkins till Christmas before making a call.

For the sake of posterity, here are the results as they were this afternoon: 264 responses, 34.8% Yes, 65.2% No.

image.jpeg

My heart is saying he can f@ck of to be honest because the question that he so badly cocked up just asked does he have a message for the 21,000 who've turned up and the usual 18,000 to 20,000 that's turned up week in week out to watch a load of average players, that with two or three exceptions, can't even give it their best shot. Not blaming Adkins there because the vast majority aren't his players and we know that there's too many gutless wonders, but he missed an opportunity to say thank you to the fans, even if he was pissed off on Sunday and the chants were'nt nice, granted.

However, my head says let him have the summer and see how he does next season, but I honestly think Steve Evans is far more suited to managing a club like ours. I can never see Evans giving the interview that Adkins has just done. I honestly feel like parking up at the training ground and giving him a piece of my mind after he insulted the amazing loyalty we've shown. He's totally alienated himself from our fans now, and its difficult to see a way back if he doesn't retract or quantify his comments in a more positive light. F@ck me he's managed to put a positive light on Dean Hammonds displays all season! It's weird as time goes on from Sunday I find myself getting more angry about Sunday, as opposed to more understanding!

Back
Top Bottom