CONFIRMED Ben Brereton Diaz signs on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not a fan of anyone who feels the need to change their name to try and make themselves sound more loyal to a nation they hadn't visited since they were a baby.

George Baldock didn't become Giorgios Mpaldok FFS!
I went to school with a lad who went from Anthony to Antonio due to Italian heritage. I had the same amount of Italian blood but wasn't as much of an attention seeking tit. Once he called himself Diaz he started scoring tbh. Spanish media seen to have dropped it....

BBD if he joins SUFC

I'm married to a Chilean and currently living in Chile. This would be very big news in our household! Its just had me running down the garden to let my football mad father in law in on the news!

He's a bit of a minor celebrity here. The fans love him and he is affectionately known as "Big Ben".

Not sure if this has been mentioned already in this thread but the story of how he came to play for Chile sounds like fiction. Ben mentioned in a Blackburn Rovers program that his mum had been born in Chile - apparently she moved to the UK when she was very young. This got picked up by the makers of Football Manager.
Subsequently fans in Chile discovered he was eligible to play for Chile via the game and started an online campaign to have him selected. He scored a couple of goals early on in his international career and the fans fell in love with him. (full story here: https://theathletic.com/2685423/202...-stoke-became-a-cultural-phenomenon-in-chile/ )

His face is all over the place on adverts and on TV. We even have a cardboard cutout of him at home that we picked up at a festival.

Regarding the "changing" of his name - in Chile - the convention is that your legal last name is that of your father and then that of your mother (when registering my son as a Chilean my wife wanted to do the same). I guess he liked it and so it became his name in the UK too. His Spanish (and his accent) are pretty awful, but no-one cares about that.

E7nrLi3XsAE_gB4.jpg

I'm married to a Chilean and currently living in Chile. This would be very big news in our household! Its just had me running down the garden to let my football mad father in law in on the news!

He's a bit of a minor celebrity here. The fans love him and he is affectionately known as "Big Ben".

Not sure if this has been mentioned already in this thread but the story of how he came to play for Chile sounds like fiction. Ben mentioned in a Blackburn Rovers program that his mum had been born in Chile - apparently she moved to the UK when she was very young. This got picked up by the makers of Football Manager.
Subsequently fans in Chile discovered he was eligible to play for Chile via the game and started an online campaign to have him selected. He scored a couple of goals early on in his international career and the fans fell in love with him. (full story here: https://theathletic.com/2685423/202...-stoke-became-a-cultural-phenomenon-in-chile/ )

His face is all over the place on adverts and on TV. We even have a cardboard cutout of him at home that we picked up at a festival.

Regarding the "changing" of his name - in Chile - the convention is that your legal last name is that of your father and then that of your mother (when registering my son as a Chilean my wife wanted to do the same). I guess he liked it and so it became his name in the UK too. His Spanish (and his accent) are pretty awful, but no-one cares about that.

View attachment 177045

Big Ben? Can't wait to clock eyes on him in a Blades shirt when I have time.

View attachment 177045

Fucking fantastic story haha

Am expecting Revolution pointing out that he hasnt scored for Villareal this season!

I think he will be a good signing

I am certainly always bewildered by your inability to grasp the importance of scoring goals, which is of course the object of the game.

Rumoured Hecky wanted him!

So the recruitment team is the exact same?

That part worries me. But the fact Wilder can bring him in and Hecky couldn’t is a very positive sign.

View attachment 177045
He looks like Gary off Team America in that photo!

Back to setting fire to wads of money again.
Money that could otherwise have been used for a younger striker for next season in the Champ.
All people on here ever seem to want us to do is look at next season. Every season!

When are we actually going to look at the here and now? We’ve got half a season left and rather than just pack our things up and write that off to plan for a future that never seems to transpire, for once I’d just like us to show a bit of fucking fight and think you know what, we’re actually going to go for it now and try our best to stay up.

He's 24 with his best years ahead, what's the obsession with another young striker?...

Traore
Archer
Jebbison
Osula
Brewster

Lol
Fair point on age - he always looks like an older player to me and didn't realise he's only 24.
Still remains a pointless signing in terms of longer term development and spending money on a player we know will not be here next season.

All people on here ever seem to want us to do is look at next season. Every season!

When are we actually going to look at the here and now? We’ve got half a season left and rather than just pack our things up and write that off to plan for a future that never seems to transpire, for once I’d just like us to show a bit of fucking fight and think you know what, we’re actually going to go for it now and try our best to stay up.
It's gone. If it hadn't already it definitely did when we gifted Luton three points.

Moving out Bennie and signing Diaz to a short term loan may provide an opening that might entice Jebbs to sign that contract...... Diaz on loan and Jebbs on a new contract would be fucking exciting.

Fair point on age - he always looks like an older player to me and didn't realise he's only 24.
Still remains a pointless signing in terms of longer term development and spending money on a player we know will not be here next season.
I get that perspective but I don't think it's pointless to strengthen the squad for this season if the fees/wages are reasonable. For me, the positives outweigh the relatively small financial cost of a few loans.

There is still a remote chance we survive but even in the likely scenario where we go down there is a financial benefit to finishing 18th rather than 20th and loans are the cheapest way to improve the quality of our squad for this season

Having a good second half of the season will boost confidence going into next year regardless of the division and a better team will provide a better stage for developing our players. It'll also give us more flexibility in how we play and allow us to better assess the shape of the squad, the players we have and what their level is. Better performance might also make it easier for us to resign current players and attract new ones in the next window. If we look like we could bounce straight back that's a much better proposition than if we go down with a whimper.

I do wish we'd have made more of an effort to do these kinds of moves in the summer though when we clearly had shortages in a few positions

Jebbo Is a gonna
Honest question.

How does Jebbo get a game?

If we play 4-3-3, Brereton-Diaz plays left. Right now, McAtee plays right.

That leaves one immediate spot to go for and Archer is far more proven.

Let’s even say we play a midfield now of (L to R): McAtee-Souza-Hamer.

We then move Archer wide. Jebbison still has to get past McBurnie, Brewster and Osula, the former two we paid a combined 44m for.

I like the idea of Jebbison. 6’3” or 6’5” not slow, but there isn’t much evidence other than an odd cameo, that he’s kicked on from his time at Burton.

If he had been progressing as required, he should have remained ahead of Osula and pushed McBurnie out of the reckoning. But injuries, form, ill-discipline all mean that he hasn’t.

So either he’s got to show a lot in the next few weeks or else he’s simply odd man out, and if we stick to 4-3-3 and play McAtee or a new guy on the right, then a similar case can be made for Brewster too.

5-3-2 would make it even less likely as I can’t see much beyond Brereton-Diaz and Archer as a pair.

Main reason to retain him is that we see relegation as almost inevitable and we are resigned to losing McAtee, Archer, Brereton-Diaz and McBurnie, at which point you’re left with him, Osula and Brewster for the new season. Let’s not also forget high hopes for Oné.

Only at that point does he seemingly get minutes. You may even retain McBurnie to make up a 4 with a few youths backing up as 5th and 6th options.

I just don’t see much for him this season. So maybe a 5-10m fee is seen as more useful by the management.

Last edited:
I think this could be a more interesting and longer term deal than most think.
Spains possibly not working out for him, and he’ll be one of their higher earners. He’s had his signing on bonus and they didn’t pay a transfer fee.
If this works out I think there could be more longevity to this than the 3 months if he settles well, and he’d be a good free signing for next season.

It seems a very sensible proposal to do now and have a look.

He probably won’t be here next season, but we don’t know that.

i do see your point latters but just dont think weve the money to sign 2/3 players with enough quality to give us a chance of staying in the premier league and do think the luton result has influenced the thinking at the club towards planning player wise for the championship next season brereton-diaz could be a very good signing for us

I think this could be a more interesting and longer term deal than most think.
Spains possibly not working out for him, and he’ll be one of their higher earners. He’s had his signing on bonus and they didn’t pay a transfer fee.
If this works out I think there could be more longevity to this than the 3 months if he settles well, and he’d be a good free signing for next season.

It seems a very sensible proposal to do now and have a look.
Why would he be a ‘free signing ….next season” ?

Honest question.

How does Jebbo get a game?

If we play 4-3-3, Brereton-Diaz plays left. Right now, McAtee plays right.

That leaves one immediate spot to go for and Archer is far more proven.

Let’s even say we play a midfield now of (L to R): McAtee-Souza-Hamer.

We then move Archer wide. Jebbison still has to get past McBurnie, Brewster and Osula, the former two we paid a combined 44m for.

I like the idea of Jebbison. 6’3” or 6’5” not slow, but there isn’t much evidence other than an odd cameo, that he’s kicked on from his time at Burton.

If he had been progressing as required, he should have remained ahead of Osula and pushed McBurnie out of the reckoning. But injuries, form, ill-discipline all mean that he hasn’t.

So either he’s got to show a lot in the next few weeks or else he’s simply odd man out, and if we stick to 4-3-3 and play McAtee or a new guy on the right, then a similar case can be made for Brewster too.

5-3-2 would make it even less likely as I can’t see much beyond Brereton-Diaz and Archer as a pair.

Main reason to retain him is that we see relegation as almost inevitable and we are resigned to losing McAtee, Archer, Brereton-Diaz and McBurnie, at which point you’re left with him, Osula and Brewster for the new season. Let’s not also forget high hopes for Oné.

Only at that point does he seemingly get minutes. You may even retain McBurnie to make up a 4 with a few youths backing up as 5th and 6th options.

I just don’t see much for him this season. So maybe a 5-10m fee is seen as more useful by the management.
Aye
All well reasoned
Until…….
“5 - 10m fee” !!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom