Tommy Doyle joins on season long loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It will be a big ask to stay in the PL. Doyle did well for us in the run in and from his comments and attitude he seems to be the type of character that fits in well. Would I like to sign him...yes......at 15 to 20M no......if we get relegated he will be gone and we will only get back what we paid. We need some midfielders but we should be looking in Europe at 5 to 7M.
Spend enough to improve the squad without going for broke.

well from the thread over on rumour mill it sounded like city dont do loans with a view to buy so that route could be out i think were just happy to carry on with this 'we havent got a pot to piss in'sketch hoping city fall for it but cant see that happening of course it all depends how much city are asking for doyle darren smith said it was reasonable but wages could be an issue i think city are after about 12m for him and were possibly only prepared to pay about 8m although because of the good relations between the 2 clubs i think a deal could be possible late in the window

We found money before when we never thought we would (Brewster, Berge) and I think we will again. I know financially it's different now with the ownership up in the air but this is as risk free a 'big spend' as we could hope for.
You are comparing the 1940s and rationing with the 1950s and a booming economy.
We haven't meaningfully got a pot to piss in. Quite why some people find that impossible to understand albeit in simple English continues to baffle me.

A loan to buy would give us the same issue in 12 months time. Would he accept reduced wages and a relegation clause required for a permanent contract?
Loan to buy would also give us a lot more clarity re our league status and ownership situation.

It’s been said we intend to utilise loan to buys too.

well from the thread over on rumour mill it sounded like city dont do loans with a view to buy so that route could be out i think were just happy to carry on with this 'we havent got a pot to piss in'sketch hoping city fall for it but cant see that happening of course it all depends how much city are asking for doyle darren smith said it was reasonable but wages could be an issue i think city are after about 12m for him and were possibly only prepared to pay about 8m although because of the good relations between the 2 clubs i think a deal could be possible late in the window
£10m with a 5 year contract equates to £2m per year amortized.
Bargain

definetly dont think city will accept less than 10m and will probably also put a buy back in the deal
£20m is more like it, they're willing to accept £13m for Walker, so we could spend the rest on his wages if Doyle does go to Wolves....

£20m is more like it, they're willing to accept £13m for Walker, so we could spend the rest on his wages if Doyle does go to Wolves....
Are you suggesting we spend £20m on Kyle Walker, fee and wages?
If you are It would be money criminally wasted on a player we don't need for a position that needs noone new.

Are you suggesting we spend £20m on Kyle Walker, fee and wages?
If you are It would be money criminally wasted on a player we don't need for a position that needs noone new.
Obviously not, he will come back for free, paying would be ridiculous, as would Man City accepting £10m for Doyle.

very much doubt any club will pay 20m for tommy doyle we could offer 10m with an added 5m if we stay in the premier league

Purely from a playing perspective, I couldn't confidently declare that Tommy Doyle is PL ready. Particularly in a team / system like ours

I can confidently declare he is more "PL ready" to play CM than anyone we have on the books outside of Berge, and also that you will not get anyone who is more "PL ready" than Doyle given our reported budgets.

Cue someone saying "something something that guy who couldn't get in Forest's squad"

We haven't meaningfully got a pot to piss in. Quite why some people find that impossible to understand albeit in simple English continues to baffle me.
It’s strange that people can’t see that the reason we’re fucked now is exactly the point they are highlighting.

We blew the bank to buy players on wilder stomping his feet and an inability to look further than UK

Prince caved in to the tantrum and thought of losing a 9th place manager - blew the next 2 years budget - CW goes before the relegation and here’s the aftershock

I’d rather go down sustainable than tread that path again

I can confidently declare he is more "PL ready" to play CM than anyone we have on the books outside of Berge, and also that you will not get anyone who is more "PL ready" than Doyle given our reported budgets.

Cue someone saying "something something that guy who couldn't get in Forest's squad"
Berge did play in the Premier League, and was pants.

We can't know whether Doyle is PL ready but at £15m it seems like a good buy in the current market. We already know he fits in, can play the system and is as good as anything at Championship level. If that's the true asking price then we should go for it.

Would need more context to know whether or not it's risk-free. What value are you attributing to that, £8m? £15m?

Purely from a playing perspective, I couldn't confidently declare that Tommy Doyle is PL ready. Particularly in a team / system like ours.

I wasn't that impressed by him until March. He had injury issues and also let plenty of games pass him by.

If we're talking PL and we're still planning on playing with a 3, is Doyle the man to break up play in the middle?
Does he have the defensive nous and physicality for that role?
I like him a lot, but I'm not sure.
I disnt say it was risk free but as 'risk free a big spend as we can hope for.' No fee is ever risk free and any early 21 year old England u21 International who you could confidently declare is PL ready is going to cost a lot more than 15m.

We paid more than that for McBurnie and Brewster and that was before transfer fees went mental. With Doyle weve had him for a season and know there are no character issues etc so for me its as risk free as can be.

very much doubt any club will pay 20m for tommy doyle we could offer 10m with an added 5m if we stay in the premier league
We could, but I'm guessing we wouldn't get him.
And on that conclusion, wonder why we wouldn't accept £10m for Illiman??....

Yeah but something something that guy who couldn't get in Forest's squad.

People don't want to hear it.

They know we get squillions for being promoted and thry want to see it spent.

Old debts and contracted wage liabilities can be conveniently ignored.

Weeerz muneh?

I'd be willing for the club to push the envelope to land Doyle. Last time we blew £80mil in the summer largely on average crap. This time round we've spent £4mil on fees so far out of a pot of £20mil. Considering we allegedly earn £100mil for just being there, I'm sure we could push the budget to land Doyle on a permanent, especially given that he's the missing piece of the puzzle. We can't keep trying to build teams around loan players all the time. At some point we need to own own players. If we could get him for £20mil then bloody well go get him. He wants to come here.

I still can't believe that we've only got the same money to spend as when Warnock took us up. That was over 15 years ago and £20mil was a pathetic amount back then. In this day and age £20mil for Premier League recruitment is suicide.

I agree on Doyle and I agree tha 20m is a pitiful amount for recruitment at the top. It does allow the club to meet current liabilities, run the club sustainably, and avoid embargo and the threat of administration.
For example if players were not paid, the league would almost certainly award a points deduction agains us.
PH has done ok with recruitment so far, but none of the new players is EPL ready as a starter.

I'd be willing for the club to push the envelope to land Doyle. Last time we blew £80mil in the summer largely on average crap. This time round we've spent £4mil on fees so far out of a pot of £20mil. Considering we allegedly earn £100mil for just being there, I'm sure we could push the budget to land Doyle on a permanent, especially given that he's the missing piece of the puzzle. We can't keep trying to build teams around loan players all the time. At some point we need to own own players. If we could get him for £20mil then bloody well go get him. He wants to come here.

I still can't believe that we've only got the same money to spend as when Warnock took us up. That was over 15 years ago and £20mil was a pathetic amount back then. In this day and age £20mil for Premier League recruitment is suicide.

The word is that we can meet City's fee, and we can meet Doyle's wage demands, matching his current deal in terms of basic wage.

The sticking point is the relegation wage reduction, of around 40%. He's, understandably, unwilling to agree to that, and we're unwilling to complete any deals without it.

For this reason, a loan is the only viable option.

I’d rather go down sustainable than tread that path again
Our model was yesterdays sustainable route. With what the Saudis are doing to the game financially there might not be a sustainable club in the PL in 2 years time. £269m + £600m wages per yer, who can compete with that without relying on government funds or breaking every ffp rule going?

Back
Top Bottom