How many in here made it 46/46?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I only made two games this year, which isn't bad given that a match is generally a least a two day trip for me.

I believe that makes me twice as big a blade as Pomps this year :)

Massive. However not as big as Silent, obvs

pommpey

I went to all the home games in the championship. missed the wrexham Spurs fa Cup games, and watched them on tv. went to the Blackburn game. What a game that was.no away games apart from watching on Sky Sports. I did two full-season homes/away/cups.in the past.1978/79 and 1980/81, fucking relegation seasons.

I’d like to apologise publicly for all the games I’ve ever been to, and the hurt I have caused by so doing.

I’d like to apologise especially for attending games during our 6 year spell in Division 3, when ST holders in particular were called all kinds of names by some posters on here just for turning out pitchside to support the club (well, only by one poster, to be fair).

My name is ShockingBadBuy and I am a shit Blade and an even worse human being. My 12 steps start here, as I promise to do my utmost to avoid attending any games at all next season, home, away, Big Wembz, anywhere, everywhere.

Thankyou everyone for listening, and for your understanding and support.

Some football fans have obsessive & completist character traits. They have to have them all. Shirts. Programmes. Ticket stubs. Teamsheets. Games. You see the same traits in some music fans. I do not know how unusual that is. But, among the limited number of United fans I know, it is quite common. That is the circle I am in. I don't go to all the games. Never have. But, I travel to some away games on a privately organised supporters coach.

I'd estimate that at least half (say two dozen) fans on the coach would routinely, matter of factly, quietly, with no trumpets, go to every game in a season, all competitions, all venues. I know there are other privately organised away coaches. And my feeling is many of their customers also have the same simple organised completist approach to attending every game.

Yes, many of them will keep lists. Games attended. Beers drunk. Grounds ticked. That is part of their obsessive make up.

I'm trying to make the point that attending 46/46 (or similar) is not always a Bigger Blade Swinging Contest. For some people it's simply - what they do. They don't "look down" on people who can't attend games. And, they don't expect recognition from others. It's just - what they do.

Best post I’ve seen on this subject in years. The last two sentences are golden too, in this day and age.

Managed every home game, including the Cup games....so 26...not bad when each one is a near 200 mile round trip. Plus 9 away games and Wembley so 36 all in.

Where's me badge!

Seriously though as said previously, it's just what we do...I share it with my 2 lads, which means more than anything....no matter what happens we will always have United. We only have just over 20K points so won't get to many away days next season so we will follow our local non league team when United are away....its about experiencing things together.

Some football fans have obsessive & completist character traits. They have to have them all. Shirts. Programmes. Ticket stubs. Teamsheets. Games. You see the same traits in some music fans. I do not know how unusual that is. But, among the limited number of United fans I know, it is quite common. That is the circle I am in. I don't go to all the games. Never have. But, I travel to some away games on a privately organised supporters coach.

I'd estimate that at least half (say two dozen) fans on the coach would routinely, matter of factly, quietly, with no trumpets, go to every game in a season, all competitions, all venues. I know there are other privately organised away coaches. And my feeling is many of their customers also have the same simple organised completist approach to attending every game.

Yes, many of them will keep lists. Games attended. Beers drunk. Grounds ticked. That is part of their obsessive make up.

I'm trying to make the point that attending 46/46 (or similar) is not always a Bigger Blade Swinging Contest. For some people it's simply - what they do. They don't "look down" on people who can't attend games. And, they don't expect recognition from others. It's just - what they do.
So true. I began going away games on my own at 15 years old (6 years ago) and I can count on 1 hand how many games I’ve missed since 2017 (obviously discounting covid)
It became a bug since day one and there are a core 12/13 of us who go home and away from Doncaster, it got to the point where it was like well, what game do miss then?
Suppose it’s part of my obsessive personality but it gets me through the week at work when I have blades to look forward on the weekend and after work on any night of the week with us being so popular on tv in recent years.

Not from me it aint.

I don't give a fat fuck how many games anyone went to. It is totally irrelevant. I'd say 'well done' to anyone who managed all 46, but that disqualifies anyone who went to 45 ... 44 ... and so on. Being at the game is great, but it's simply one method of being involved with United and at a distinct advantage of those geographically placed and/or with the free time and finance to fulfil that commitment. Not having any of that does not denude you as a supporter and with wearying regularity, some on here just don't get that.

pommpey
For someone who doesn’t care how many games people go to, you’ve posted a lot on a thread about how many games people go to.

Admin note: Infraction given for personal abuse
For someone who doesn’t care how many games people go to, you’ve posted a lot on a thread about how many games people go to.

Again, you have a real problem in looking at words, transposing them into logic and assimilating meaning from the text. Grown ups call it 'reading'. You might need to go fetch someone in your household to help form the ideas and concepts and mouth the phonemics as you trace every word with your finger.

I don't give a fuck how many games you have been to. (if your mum is reading this with you I hope she can help with a sketch)

Going to games, whilst nice, isn't an essential qualification to hold an opinion on the game you've watched. Now I know your attention span is waning now and you're possibly playing with your testicles through your pocket or scratching your anal opening and sniffing your fingers ... maybe even tasting them ... but mum ... just give this cunt a rusk and fuck him off to bo-boes. School in the morning.

pommpey

Again, you have a real problem in looking at words, transposing them into logic and assimilating meaning from the text. Grown ups call it 'reading'. You might need to go fetch someone in your household to help form the ideas and concepts and mouth the phonemics as you trace every word with your finger.

I don't give a fuck how many games you have been to. (if your mum is reading this with you I hope she can help with a sketch)

Going to games, whilst nice, isn't an essential qualification to hold an opinion on the game you've watched. Now I know your attention span is waning now and you're possibly playing with your testicles through your pocket or scratching your anal opening and sniffing your fingers ... maybe even tasting them ... but mum ... just give this cunt a rusk and fuck him off to bo-boes. School in the morning.

pommpey
Haha Jesus mate, you’re really overreacting here. It’s just a forum, only a bit of fun. I can read though - I’m a professional writer and qualified journalist you’ll be delighted to know, so I’d imagine I can at least compete with you and your polemics of dubious talent and repute.

I think you’ve made the point that you don’t care how many games people have been to. I just don’t understand who it is that’s telling you it actually matters.

Strong “old man yells at cloud” vibes here.

Not from me it aint.

I don't give a fat fuck how many games anyone went to. It is totally irrelevant. I'd say 'well done' to anyone who managed all 46, but that disqualifies anyone who went to 45 ... 44 ... and so on. Being at the game is great, but it's simply one method of being involved with United and at a distinct advantage of those geographically placed and/or with the free time and finance to fulfil that commitment. Not having any of that does not denude you as a supporter and with wearying regularity, some on here just don't get that.

pommpey
This Pomps, born in Jessops hospital, attended games every week when there was still a cricket pitch alongside. Moved to Kent due to my fathers job when I was 9. Visited my Nan in Eccleshall when I was old enough and walked to the ground. Now based in deepest Cornwall and so limited in when I can visit. But nephew still in the promised land can occasionally get me a ticket. Born a Blade, always a Blade and will die as a Blade. If that isn’t enough for some on here, sorry, its the best I can do.
Oh, and my son, who has yet to attend a game at BDTBL, is a total SUFC disciple. Wears various shirts for televised games and cant wait to go to a home game. Its very hard for those us away from Sheffield to get any tickets.
UTB

Last edited:

Born a Blade, always a Blade and will die as a Blade. If that isn’t enough for some on here, sorry, its the best I can do.

Me too. Yet apparently to elucidate an opinion on a game you have just watched you really need to have been sat in the stadium rather than witnessed it on some form of broadcast media, according to some. The sheer atmospherics, the smell of fresh liniment, the rustle of salted chips in newspaper, the roar of the Shoreham End and the dazzling glare of an acre of grass under floodlights enhances one's own vision of the game tenfold, rendering any other perceptions superfluous and hypothetical. To even get close, you need to clock up some sixty thousand miles per year, own every programme and have your bobby's helmet tattooed with the rose and cutlasses.

It's all about the Bladeyness, see?

pommpey

you're possibly playing with your testicles through your pocket or scratching your anal opening and sniffing your fingers ... maybe even tasting them ...
This is also comfortably the weirdest post I’ve read on this forum. And that is saying something.

What an unusual individual you are.

That is an interesting angle for the discussion. I am both deeply analytical and wildly romantic/doe-eyed.

The stadium is infinitely preferable to the sofa because it adds non-footballing flavour. People, sounds, things to smile about, unexpected feelings.

When I watch football, I constantly do so with an analytical mindset. But if United play, there is a second layer of what I simply call affection/love and a sense of belonging. This second layer means that I always love watching us in a ground with mates and strangers irrespective of result or performance. I can see if players are misused or having a mare, but it takes weeks of poor performances for me to start disliking any players personally. Or some stand-out feature I generally dislike in people which is quite rare (I am looking at you, Tony McMahon).

All of that means that United always make me feel happier for watching them than if i miss a match. Even Wigan at home in 2007 left me sad rather than angry. And as the whistle went, I still knew that I had witnessed something existential at first hand in the way it was meant to be watched.

Watching on TV (or playing Man City, it must be said) kind of removes the touchy-feely level of childlike glee just by being there. It's far more often that I think "God, are we hopeless" on TV than I do in the ground. It's more often that a TV match leaves me kind of annoyed. The pure analysis that I always do (I am - after all - the voice of reason ;) ) is more painful without the atmospherics of being at the perfect place at the perfect time.

TV football is far more of a commodity. It can be paused or re-watched. The meaning you bring yourself, the surprises, the inexplicable observations, hunches, the context, the joy of seeing others being far more disappointed, irate or dick-headish than you are, all isn't there.

Assuming that some of this is universal rather than my personal quirks, hints at a disconnection in this discussion: I often view Pommpey to be over-critical and far too personal, as if United owe him a certain standard of performances rather than their mere existence. United exist therefore I love them.

If I watch on TV, I find myself agreeing with the gist of My Takes more than if I was in the ground. The same applies to general discussions of players or the negativity on the board after any defeats.

So being in the ground clearly does not give me a more valid or superior opinion. That would be bullshit. But at least for me, it mellows me out, makes me more forgiving and more likely to be protective of the team when people frame their observations or judgments in emotive or incendiary tones ("X is wank", "Y is a wage thief" or the like).
Aye but there are consequences

So what has pommpey done wrong? I think you're bringing into play two separate things here: (i)the number of games that people go to and (ii) the extent to which someone might write about this. Seems reasonable to me but maybe you were trying (and failing) to be ironic? 🙄

So what has pommpey done wrong? I think you're bringing into play two separate things here: (i)the number of games that people go to and (ii) the extent to which someone might write about this. Seems reasonable to me but maybe you were trying (and failing) to be ironic? 🙄
I just don’t see why he’s chucking mardy, bordering on aggressive, sometimes just plain creepy, posts up constantly on a topic he claims not to care about. Why doesn’t he just scroll past it?

Strong “old man yells at cloud” vibes here.

Strong 'hack misses point' vibes back at you.

To amplify - I've spent some time issuing a series of hopefully entertaining and debate provoking post match assessments which given the broad response have proven popular. I am however targeted by a small clique of rather spiteful, score-setting posters who nominally have fuck-all to say about the game, be they fucking lazy, or fucking bone headed or a bit from column 'a' and column 'b'. Their usual counter to any assessments I make is that my view from my sofa holds far less than their view from the stand. They don't offer much back as an argument mind ... just a broad narrative that they've paid cash to sit in a single view plastic seat so whatever I saw on several cameras or in slow motion for the subscription fee I paid is inconsequential and that they, simply on attendance alone, are far more worthy supporters and therefore witnesses to the spectacle. Whilst, over the years i have managed to either say 'prove it' (which they can't) or give their own account from the pitchside seats on the edge of the kop (which they can't) still they persist. And now this disease has spread like non-specific urethritis to some of S24SU's more luminary and supposedly well-respected posters as they pass a certain age threshold of senility. Rather than scroll past when they see me give Berge a four or even bring it upon themselves to challenge it with evidence (some other posters do this to their credit by the way) by the end of a long successful season they choose to sustain their wankerdom and instead of discussing football, they want to discuss me - and usually my attendance and Bladeyness which is obviously not and Billy Big as theirs. Once again. And I also get called a narcissist too. With them ... discussing, or highlighting me. No idea on that one.

So, it's not 'old man yelling at cloud' as much as it's me parachuting into SIlent's thread and turning it into a tiresome shitfest of bickering and cuntish sniping, simply because he did the same to my final Take. If he'd let me be ... you and I wouldn't be having this conversation on page seven of this thread.

Hope this helps

pommpey

Last edited:

1. Not attended enough games in person
2. Had the audacity to write games up having watched it on a stream or on Sky
3. Criticised Oliver Norwood/Sander Berge/McPub.

Hitler had better days than these

pommpey

Strong 'hack misses point' vibes back at you.

To amplify - I've spent some time issuing a series of hopefully entertaining and debate provoking post match assessments which given the broad response have proven popular. I am however targeted by a small clique of rather spiteful, score-setting posters who nominally have fuck-all to say about the game, be they fucking lazy, or fucking bone headed or a bit from column 'a' and column 'b'. Their usual counter to any assessments I make is that my view from my sofa holds far less than their view from the stand. They don't offer much back as an argument mind ... just a broad narrative that they've paid cash to sit in a single view plastic seat so whatever I saw on several cameras or in slow motion for the subscription fee I paid is inconsequential and that they, simply on attendance alone, are far more worthy supporters and therefore witnesses to the spectacle. Whilst, over the years i have managed to either say 'prove it' (which they can't) or give their own account from the pitchside seats on the edge of the kop (which they can't) still they persist. And now this disease has spread like non-specific urethritis to some of S24SU's more luminary and supposedly well-respected posters as they pass a certain age threshold of senility. Rather than scroll past when they see me give Berge a four or even bring it upon themselves to challenge it with evidence (some other posters do this to their credit by the way) by the end of a long successful season they choose to sustain their wankerdom and instead of discussing football, they want to discuss me - and usually my attendance and Bladeyness which is obviously not and Billy Big as theirs. Once again. And I also get called a narcissist too. With them ... discussing, or highlighting me. No idea on that one.

So, it's not 'old man yelling at cloud' as much as it's me parachuting into SIlent's thread and turning it into a tiresome shitfest of bickering and cuntish sniping, simply because he did the same to my final Take. If he'd let me be ... you and I wouldn't be having this conversation on page seven of this thread.

Hope this helps

pommpey
Well I can’t say I agree with all of that, but you’ve done a fine job of explaining your point. We do, as it happens, strongly agree on Berge.

And I am very good at missing the point, it’s part of the training ;)

I just don’t see why he’s chucking mardy, bordering on aggressive, sometimes just plain creepy, posts up constantly on a topic he claims not to care about. Why doesn’t he just scroll past it?
I'm not sure you understand what I was saying in my previous post however I don't want to sidetrack you from your spat with pommpey so I'll bid you goodnight. :)

Well I can’t say I agree with all of that, but you’ve done a fine job of explaining your point. We do, as it happens, strongly agree on Berge.

And I am very good at missing the point, it’s part of the training ;)

And ... peace breaks out.

Now I await Cheasebord and the rest of the paperboys tomorrow.

pommpey

Apart from I think one league cup game,
I've managed to watch every United game this season.

Given I now live 7,000 miles away and the Saturday games finish at between midnight and 1am and the midweek games are in the middle of the night on work days I'm happy to have been able to enjoy the journey.

Stepping into BDTBL is one of the things most overseas Blades mention they miss when they take that bold leap to live in foreign climes. But it's not just being overseas, being elsewhere in the country, being not as fit as you once were or having other responsibilities you have to prioritise all mean that you do what you can to be engaged but being there in spirit rather than body is something you have to accept.

I'd already left home at 18 to study and even though I lived in London for 10 years after this, I'd do my best to make 30 matches each year, logistics and work permitting, but that phase of my life has passed.

It's an odd time to be bickering about small things. Just enjoy being a Blade. I don't think anyone on here is any less than 100% Blades regardless of whether they get to make it through the turnstiles.

We did it. Let's all enjoy the summer now, knowing that we are now Premier League Blades!

Back
Top Bottom