Steve Cowans new book

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd imagine that if Steve Cowens reads this thread, the thing that would upset him most is that his name is spelt wrong in the thread title.
true story pal, first time ive been on for ages and the last, to many keyboard clowns trying to be clever, the very reason i stopped coming ion in the first place

Andy McNab told me the same thing (SAS bloke, wrote "Bravo Two Zero"), only it wasn't Wednesday looking for him, and his real name isn't Andy McNab (although you probably all know this).

Is he (Steve Cowans) saying that some ageing Pig fans are still looking for him, after all these years?

Surely that would be the same for his pig opposite number, Tony Cronshaw (think that was the bloke, old overweight bloke who wrote some tall stories about his days as a pig hooligan), only he still drives a mini bus for away games and is dead easy to find!
its not true mate, i know all wednesday's old lads and would have a pint rather than feyt

Is it not a non hooligan book but just a book about the blades?

Have no interest in hooligans or their story's but don't think he has been a hooligan since early 90s going on what people say, I'd say we all know a hooligan or two who may have been involved at some point or other, idiots if you ask me, but pretty sure the so called "proper lads" whatever that may be don't really have anything to do with these nights or books. Happened to be at Fannys before the Birmingham game, didn't see Cowens myself but he was supposed to be there doing a signing and I heard people taking the piss out of him for a team style photo from the night, him in the middle with hands on knees either side of him, like a captain on a team photo, cringe

Each to their own though
sorry, no one took the piss out of me, not to my face anyhow. I was only having a laugh putting my hands on CW and DB legs, but hey-ho, as long as it entertains the neggers on here

Just realised your Cowens after reading the thread through, heard wrong? about people taking the piss about the photo? maybe I worded it wrongly, they were not taking the piss out of you in person if that's what your saying is wrong, I didn't see you there although I heard you was but the group of blokes next to us were taking the piss out of the team style photo with hands on the knees.
fair play then. I was only having an laugh putting my hand on CW and DB legs, they're legend to me

appreciate your sound quote but i've never had a bar in eckington and i certainly don't avoid town coz of wendy
My mistake. I thought that bar was yours! Can't remember the name of it but was a pool/snooker place only opened for a little while though about 8/9 years ago.

Hope the book launch goes well 👍

fair play then. I was only having an laugh putting my hand on CW and DB legs, they're legend to me
Didn't know you were on here. I enjoyed your earlier books as a younger bloke...bit of escapism into a world I never wanted to be involved in but was fun to read about. Will look up the new one if it's less about the scrapping and more about your life as a Blade 👍

Is he still with us, I imagine he'll be knocking on a bit now as my old man would have been 82.
Pre match in The Sportsman, back home to Matlock after the game then he'd get Mum to chauffeur him back in the evening for more Magnet.

You don't see Magnet that often on bars these days.

I was brought up on it (John O'Gaunt, Gleadless Valley), and they still sell it at The Sportsman out at Lodge Moor, and used to sell it at The York at Broomhill, but not been in there in a while, so no sure.

Steve Cowens here.
I get that not all Blades appreciate or understand my past, that's why i wrote 8 pages in the book trying to explain things. There's a few very sad and bitter people on here and its reminded me why i don't bother coming on here anymore. I've not been nicked for 14 years now and have moved on with my life. The players and managers who came to my event all know me personally, i didn't want to evening to be about me and i spoke on the mike about that. It was a celebration of being a Blade and everyone being able to see a few of their hero's. It was your choice whether you came or you didn't, just like it is buying the book. Everyone's got an opinion but some of the crap posted on here, Jesus wept, get a life.
Anyhow, kind regards to all the decent Blades on here. UTB

Didn't know you were on here. I enjoyed your earlier books as a younger bloke...bit of escapism into a world I never wanted to be involved in but was fun to read about. Will look up the new one if it's less about the scrapping and more about your life as a Blade 👍
Thanks, its about my life following United not fighting although a few stories cross over, mostly about when i got injured

People give opinions of author/book. Author doesn't like some of these opinion so these people are sad & bitter and are not decent Blades 🤣

I was brought up on it (John O'Gaunt, Gleadless Valley), and they still sell it at The Sportsman out at Lodge Moor, and used to sell it at The York at Broomhill, but not been in there in a while, so no sure.
Used to enjoy a pint of that in The Sportsman (Grahams) back in the day myself. Dad was always reluctant to touch anything else and I don't remember him ever drinking in Matlock (Kimberley & Home Ales).
Early 70's he'd be in The Tramway with his dad before Sunday lunch when we'd gone "back home".

Steve Cowens here.
I get that not all Blades appreciate or understand my past, that's why i wrote 8 pages in the book trying to explain things. There's a few very sad and bitter people on here and its reminded me why i don't bother coming on here anymore. I've not been nicked for 14 years now and have moved on with my life. The players and managers who came to my event all know me personally, i didn't want to evening to be about me and i spoke on the mike about that. It was a celebration of being a Blade and everyone being able to see a few of their hero's. It was your choice whether you came or you didn't, just like it is buying the book. Everyone's got an opinion but some of the crap posted on here, Jesus wept, get a life.
Anyhow, kind regards to all the decent Blades on here. UTB
At the time you released blades business crew it was a popular subject. The Cardiff, Leeds, West Ham books were all top sellers. Football factory/ Green mile etc were all very popular movies.

End of the day that was a huge part of 80s football! Which it isn't anymore because of policing which is great because people now feel safe to go with their elderly relatives / young children to both home and away games. I'm glad I wasn't part of that era but I enjoy hearing some of the stories from it from my dad.

People need to stop being soft about these subjects! It happened, a book or two was released when the subject was popular.

Now he's written a book about supporting his football club, so what!

People give opinions of author/book. Author doesn't like some of these opinion so these people are sad & bitter and are not decent Blades 🤣

Trouble is that plenty of people gave 'opinions' about the book without reading it. Similarly some people had 'opinions' that made Cowens out to be somewhere right of Mussolini, again on no basis at all.

I don't know him and only know a few BBC lads on the fringe, but that's ancient history now. If he's raising money for charity and entertaining a few people with a book, then why the need for all the snide nastiness?

Trouble is that plenty of people gave 'opinions' about the book without reading it. Similarly some people had 'opinions' that made Cowens out to be somewhere right of Mussolini, again on no basis at all.

I don't know him and only know a few BBC lads on the fringe, but that's ancient history now. If he's raising money for charity and entertaining a few people with a book, then why the need for all the snide nastiness?
Because people love to label someone something without knowing them.

At the time you released blades business crew it was a popular subject. The Cardiff, Leeds, West Ham books were all top sellers. Football factory/ Green mile etc were all very popular movies.

End of the day that was a huge part of 80s football! Which it isn't anymore because of policing which is great because people now feel safe to go with their elderly relatives / young children to both home and away games. I'm glad I wasn't part of that era but I enjoy hearing some of the stories from it from my dad.

People need to stop being soft about these subjects! It happened, a book or two was released when the subject was popular.

Now he's written a book about supporting his football club, so what!
The Green Mile?? I know, that bit where Tom Hanks gets a pool ball in a sock and the big, psychic, healing feller takes out a few when it's all coming on top from the Mansfield fans is my favourite scene

Without reading the thread through again think there was just brian with anything that could be nastiness, others just with opinions. Surely if you write a book you take opinions in your stride, seems to be with Steve that those who don't conform are not decent blades, laughable from him tbh.

Personally think all hooligans are a bunch of idiots, but he has not been a hooligan for a long time and if money was raised for charity then fair play.

Oh and I have not read any of his books and doubt I ever will, nothing to do with the content, I'm just not up his arse and he just seems a bit of a nob on twitter that's all. That will be me less than a decent Blade now I suppose.

Some of the stuff levelled at the lad in this thread wasn't called for, opinions on content etc are OK but you have, as "Flash" points out, a choice to participate or not with events and the purchasing of books without getting personal.

Tell you what, you can't knock him for having some ambition and bussiness sense, Moss Fest (is that how you spell it) is a great event for the city without a rip off price tag, I believe its his festival isn't it?

If so well done there in putting Sheffield on the map in a nice positive way, seems you get no credit for the good things you do, because some people still prefer to focus on the past and won't let folk move on.

Carry on regardless.. UTB

15 years ago, my last arrest, bet you stole some sweets as a kid so can i class you as a shoplifter for life

Yeah, I did actually.

It'd be the same as this if I also wrote books about stealing sweets and how good it is, and then made no effort to go back on myself and explain to people once I've realised how daft it is.

If that was the case, I think it'd be safe to assume that I might still be bang up for stealing sweets if the opportunity arose.

Like I said though, I'm not fussed about books being written or events being put on for it...just utterly baffled at all the people that turned up for it. Maybe in the new book you correct all that, distance yourself from it and talk about how daft it is...in which case fair enough. I just don't think it sends a good message on hooliganism, with all these people turning up for the event. People are free to go though, especially those that are Blades legends but have no affiliation with the club, but equally people on here or anywhere else are free to have an opinion on that.

Last edited:
The Green Mile?? I know, that bit where Tom Hanks gets a pool ball in a sock and the big, psychic, healing feller takes out a few when it's all coming on top from the Mansfield fans is my favourite scene
Haha my bad! What ever that lord of the rings chap was in

1627816916589-png.117894
I don't know who any of them are, apart from Neil Shipperly, front middle.

What age would you be mate, I suspect you might know my old man who basically lived 100 yards from there.

Back
Top Bottom