Outgoing? Brewster and Burke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've followed him on Twatter for ages and he's usually not far off the mark with his info. I get the impression he knows some agents, possibly through his accounting practise maybe.

Also been a guest in the Prince's private box at The Lane before the court case was finalised.
I quite like him due to the insight but too many times he puts the blame and SJ rather than the prince

My theory is,the squad needed a big shake up that should have begun a while ago.The deadwood is dragging the whole squad down,those that can do it feel like they are just banging their heads against a brick wall because those who can't are making it impossible for them to perform at their desired level.After a while,they just think sod this,I can't work with these,and their heads drop,so from half a team,you go to no functioning team.You bring in good replacements instead of playing dead wood and rejuvenate the ones who's heads have dropped,you then have a fully functioning team with everybody singing from the same hymnsheet.

My theory is,the squad needed a big shake up that should have begun a while ago.The deadwood is dragging the whole squad down,those that can do it feel like they are just banging their heads against a brick wall because those who can't are making it impossible for them to perform at their desired level.After a while,they just think sod this,I can't work with these,and their heads drop,so from half a team,you go to no functioning team.You bring in good replacements instead of playing dead wood and rejuvenate the ones who's heads have dropped,you then have a fully functioning team with everybody singing from the same hymnsheet.
Some of the management of contracts has invited complacency.

It started with rewarding Leon with a ridiculous length contract as a reward. It carried on with Norwood and Fleck.

At the same time we've wasted years of other player's deals. Sending Freeman on loan robbed us of a midfield option with Lundstram playing silly bollocks and removed the possibility of him being sold late in the window. Mousse has been off it for a while, why haven't we tried to also move him on.

The concept of selling some of these on for cash to reinvest in better just seemed lost on us. We just didn't need to but Brewster when LCB was vacant and midfield was sparse but to keep all the other forwards, just a waste of cash.

For all complaints about lack of backing, wages etc, looking back, recruitment was like a kid in a sweetshop.

Personally I can see Burke going. But as this story appears to have originated in the Sun I'm not really buying it. Always been a joke paper for me.

I think we’re still blinkered and programmed to play one way only, I was in the BLUT yesterday and from up there your looking at the game from higher with no restrictions,
RND was in acres of space most of the first half yesterday and unmarked, waving his arms around like mad and showing for the ball constantly and no one passed to him, not a single pass, no one picked him out, the only time he got the ball is he came deep to get involved or got onto a rebound out of the box from a defender.
it’s always the same Blades lately and the usual head down, run to the corner flag look up, tippy tappy in the corner and then over hit a cross or hit it to the keeper, non of the strikers are going to be prolific goal scorers with that sort of service, especially not when you have been trained at a top end premier league club and at England under 21 level to make runs and get onto through balls, I don’t believe for one minute Liverpool or Man Utd train there youngsters in the art of the hoofball tactic or Wilderball.
I would be pissed if I was RND on a debut, making space, finding pockets and then getting ignored, even more so when the position is mine for the taking as there’s a glaring hole to be filled on the left, the rest of the team makes him look average by ignoring his runs etc and just like Brewster who must also get well pissed when he makes good runs gets ignored or the ball goes into the corner. The rest of the team seem to be 10 seconds behind both of them, well of their pace and their reading of the game. they need a playmaker in there and Flack and Norwood aren’t the answer.
even the youngsters offer more, they panned Watford the other day….

Haha that £40 mill buy back clause on Brewster must be the greatest bluff I’ve ever seen

Oh no little old Sheffield united we will only sell if there’s a buy back they’ve done us like an absoloute kipper 😄
Exactly and we know now why they refused a loan, surely that should have been a red flag.

I think we’re still blinkered and programmed to play one way only, I was in the BLUT yesterday and from up there your looking at the game from higher with no restrictions,
RND was in acres of space most of the first half yesterday and unmarked, waving his arms around like mad and showing for the ball constantly and no one passed to him, not a single pass, no one picked him out, the only time he got the ball is he came deep to get involved or got onto a rebound out of the box from a defender.
it’s always the same Blades lately and the usual head down, run to the corner flag look up, tippy tappy in the corner and then over hit a cross or hit it to the keeper, non of the strikers are going to be prolific goal scorers with that sort of service, especially not when you have been trained at a top end premier league club and at England under 21 level to make runs and get onto through balls, I don’t believe for one minute Liverpool or Man Utd train there youngsters in the art of the hoofball tactic or Wilderball.
I would be pissed if I was RND on a debut, making space, finding pockets and then getting ignored, even more so when the position is mine for the taking as there’s a glaring hole to be filled on the left, the rest of the team makes him look average by ignoring his runs etc and just like Brewster who must also get well pissed when he makes good runs gets ignored or the ball goes into the corner. The rest of the team seem to be 10 seconds behind both of them, well of their pace and their reading of the game. they need a playmaker in there and Flack and Norwood aren’t the answer.
we need a new midfield gee and weve needed one for the last 18 months no pace no physicality and no creativity just the same owd same owd im certainly not impressed with our strikers either up to now but if theres nothing being created for them theyve no chance 3 new signings in midfield needed imo

we need a new midfield gee and weve needed one for the last 18 months no pace no physicality and no creativity just the same owd same owd im certainly not impressed with our strikers either up to now but if theres nothing being created for them theyve no chance 3 new signings in midfield needed imo
Don't worry, apparently we can only sign class players in the last week of the window.......

Chris was a fool wasting so much on transfer fees. We didn't even get a decent free in the two years we were in there.

He should have been telling the club to put as much money as needed into the training facilities and upgrading the Academy to create a lasting legacy.

Instead it felt like it was more about Chris' stock that the long term prospects for the club.

What's the legacy? A bigger wage bill, players whose value is lower than what we paid and the same training and academy set up.

If we're playing 4-3-3 then he needs a fraction of the strikers. Sharp, McBurnie, McGoldrick and one more perhaps if he wants to go to a 2. That means 4 can go with no impact as long as they are replaced by wingers.
Out of them 3 there’s only Sharp that can put the ball in the net. Didzy cant hit a cows arse with a banjo & McBurnie is just shite.

Save a thought for the poor staff at BDTBL tomorrow who will be fielding all the calls from other clubs now these two are available. Phones ringing off the hook all day.

It's the teams Pavlovian response to get ball, lob ball down to Baldock and let him fanny around with it.

Every time RND got into a reasonable position he fired off a shot. Usually into a defenders shins, but still, the effort was there.

We kept trying to force the play down the right. We need to show faith in the RND and Davies partnership.

Not to be that guy.. but he looks wank, his positional play is awful and he's one of the worse strikers I've ever seen at the lane. He's also the most expensive striker we've ever bought. Quality money, for shite player.
Bring me the head of the chuff who scouted him & recommended him

Brewster dosnt stand a chance how we play, one minute he’s a left winger, then a left back, played out of position etc. Yesterday he played up front and still had to come deep just to get involved, how the fuck can he possibly score with no service?
we run into the channels every game and wilderball it into the box, usually over everyone’s heads or straight to the keeper, that’s not Brewsters game, he runs onto through balls that we don’t play!!!. Swansea = throughballs scores, England =throughballs scores, blades no throughballs or service doesn’t score, it’s not rocket science.
play RND on the wing, play. Bogle other wing, drop fleck and Norwood, bring in a Buendia type player, Amad Diall? And he will bang em in as he would get service, carry on with the Wilderball and run to the corner flags and put shit crosses in and he’s fucked!!!.
Hope Slav gets backed so he can change it and give the front 2 a fighting chance.
…..UTB…..
Why is Bogle not getting a chance in MF ? He often does the unexpected and creates something

Annoying thing is that it's twice we've done this now.

Under Warnock Tonge couldn't dislodge Monty and Jags getting promoted and ended up sharing game time with Quinn out wide. Yet once we got promoted and the decision made to play Jags at centre half, in he went. Make do. Not an inkling to improve the midfield.

Same here. LCB to keep the shape and CM to take the game to the opposition. No, we splurged 40m+ on a keeper and a striker. There is still no better finisher than Billy at the club. It's chances we were not creating, not creating loads and not finishing them.

What an incredible waste of finishing 9th.

Under Warnock Tonge couldn't dislodge Monty and Jags getting promoted and ended up sharing game time with Quinn out wide. Yet once we got promoted and the decision made to play Jags at centre half, in he went. Make do. Not an inkling to improve the midfield.

Same here. LCB to keep the shape and CM to take the game to the opposition. No, we splurged 40m+ on a keeper and a striker. There is still no better finisher than Billy at the club. It's chances we were not creating, not creating loads and not finishing them.

I think Tonge was a bit more than make do in my opinion, but I get ur point

I think Tonge was a bit more than make do in my opinion, but I get ur point
Not picking on Tongey intentionally. As you say, Tonge was decent, agree. It's more that we just failed to improve the midfield as a whole and seemed to think buying more strikers was the solution, which is where Slav is now, seeing his Midfielders fail whilst wondering what to do with 8 striking options.

In all fairness there’s probably not a better finisher in England than Billy Sharp

Just that CW in another of his transfer coma’s thought it good business to sign him when we were in the Prem

Morrison, Robinson (bought 2, kept the shit1) Brewster, Burke, Lowe, Bogle, Roswell, Mousse, McB

Over £70m spend there, CW was a great man manager, but useless at transfers - ironic that he left after a fallout about a DoF, which surely upon reflection he can’t argue with
Never happened. It was just a weather balloon, trapped in the dugout or in the director's seats. Swamp gas in the shape of a failed EPL footballer... etc

I'd guess it's because he's a RB or RWB and not a midfielder. Why not give him a go in goal instead?
He can't really affect our outfield play as a goalie.
But he can certainly affect it from any outfield label you want to stick on him.
Watching him last season , he roams the field + often creates positive situations in the opposition half.
But you pigeon-hole him if you think it helps.

He can't really affect our outfield play as a goalie.
But he can certainly affect it from any outfield label you want to stick on him.
Watching him last season , he roams the field + often creates positive situations in the opposition half.
But you pigeon-hole him if you think it helps.

He naturally more effective in wider positions - moving to RCM would be totally different and yet another square peg in a round hole. When he was tried further forward earlier in the season, he was totally ineffective.

Imagine doing the opposite and playing Berge at RB or RWB - sounds daft doesn't it?

I'd reluctantly welcome offers for Brewster. Just hasn't done and doesn't bring that raw liveliness that protégés should. He's shown a bit of a glimmer these last couple of games to turn and run a man, but that's it. I'd listen to offers for McBurnie first mind. I'd sell Burke. But then we are faced with actively needing to recruit as there is no way Sharp and Didz can shoulder the workload or that Moose can be relied upon. Jebbo would be getting pushed front and centre in the cue for me. If the above funds the recruitment we need, so be it.

I'd reluctantly welcome offers for Brewster. Just hasn't done and doesn't bring that raw liveliness that protégés should. He's shown a bit of a glimmer these last couple of games to turn and run a man, but that's it. I'd listen to offers for McBurnie first mind. I'd sell Burke. But then we are faced with actively needing to recruit as there is no way Sharp and Didz can shoulder the workload or that Moose can be relied upon. Jebbo would be getting pushed front and centre in the cue for me. If the above funds the recruitment we need, so be it.
The question is kozzy do you have any faith that recouping money for assets helps us at this point? I’d rather have the players at this point because I don’t have much faith in us bringing players in left.

I would let Moose, Burke and McGoldrick go. Two of them can’t finish and the other is never going to be what we wasn’t him to be despite showing promise over the last couple of seasons. Burke is a speed merchant that should have chosen athletics instead of football, and Didzy doesn’t see a pass anymore when others are in far better positions. Whatever people throw at Brewster, you can’t say he has had the run in the team he should have had. I could have accepted he wasn’t good enough if he had had games and we had given him chance after chance, but we haven’t. McBurnie has been used as a battering ram by Wilder and like Brewster played out of position. We need to get some decent midfielders and wingers and then see what we have in McBurnie and Brewster. We all know the figures we paid for both players were way over what we should have paid for them, and not their fault either, but neither has been given a real chance to shine in their preferred position with decent service.

The question is kozzy do you have any faith that recouping money for assets helps us at this point? I’d rather have the players at this point because I don’t have much faith in us bringing players in left.
Regrettably, no. I don't have any faith in us recruiting well. I'm also feeling this is bigger than the hammer Wilder came in for.

What also doesn't make sense to me is how the narrative was one of refraining from spending last January, when PL survival felt far-fetched, in order to be able to spend more purposefully this summer. I was fully on board with that idea, it seemed sensible. Then, nothing appears to be materialising now ..

Back
Top Bottom