Neal Maupay

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I really don’t get the fuss about Maupay. One good season and there isn’t enough to suggest he will make the step up to PL level. People just look at a goal scoring chart and assume he’s good enough to move up. Often not the case.
You could say the same about Adams, Pukki and McBurnie though. Admittedly I've only seen him play about 5 times this season but he's a very talented player. In a team that plays good football and creates many chances I think the odds of him doing pretty well in the Premier League aren't as far fetched as you think.

Reminds me of Hogan at Brentford. Looks promising but it's still a huge gamble and will definitely be a step up. Also for me, the big question with a striker is how they handle a bad patch.

He'd definitely be an asset with a strong re-sale value that Wilder and Bettis spoke about...but...£20m likely fee. If he flops, we ain't getting that back. If we could agree £10m + £10m add-ons then that start to feels okay. I suspect either Derby or Villa would go for him and spend big.

Based on what exactly? Not saying you're wrong but would like to know why you think that.
Based on seeing Maupay play a few times. Faster, skilful, and managed to score more in a worse team. An added bonus would be the age difference so he can easily push on and become even better. Then again Brentford's style is quite different to ours once build-up, so who knows if it would be a good fit.

Based on seeing Maupay play a few times. Faster, skilful, and managed to score more in a worse team. An added bonus would be the age difference so he can easily push on and become even better. Then again Brentford's style is quite different to ours once build-up, so who knows if it would be a good fit.

Fair enough, he's definitely faster than Sharp, though what Sharp lacks in speed he makes up for in strength and aerial ability IMO. And while Maupay's overall tally may be better, he's nowhere near as clinical: Sharp's goals/minutes ratio is better and his shot conversion rate even more so.

I suppose the key factor you mentioned, which I accept is age. Other than that, I'd sooner have Sharp on my team personally.

Yes; but that is suggesting Sharp is finished and won't play a role next season? The point i'm making is i'd rather we'd spend money on someone who brings something different. We don't have funds to sign loads of quality, proven players - so we need to be smart with which we go for.

Being brutally honest, the amount of minutes BS spends on the pitch next season is in negative correlation to our chances of staying up.

Fair enough, he's definitely faster than Sharp, though what Sharp lacks in speed he makes up for in strength and aerial ability IMO. And while Maupay's overall tally may be better, he's nowhere near as clinical: Sharp's goals/minutes ratio is better and his shot conversion rate even more so.

I suppose the key factor you mentioned, which I accept is age. Other than that, I'd sooner have Sharp on my team personally.
He's faster, more skilful, and has a more exotic name.
That's great, Sharp has never had any of those things. Sharp is better now than hes ever been, his build up play, hold up play and finishing is better than ever.
Maupay is a prospect but right now Sharp will always get you more goals,.

That's great, Sharp has never had any of those things. Sharp is better now than hes ever been, his build up play, hold up play and finishing is better than ever.

Maupay scored two more goals than BS last season.

Maybe, but Maupay has more to his game than goals. He says himself he is happy at number ten or out wide. He’s clearly a skilful, intelligent footballer. He’s 22 and will only get better.

Sorry, but we can’t fashion our transfer policy around what may or may not suit Billy Sharp. That’s Sunday League thinking. We are Premier League.

I really don’t get the fuss about Maupay. One good season and there isn’t enough to suggest he will make the step up to PL level. People just look at a goal scoring chart and assume he’s good enough to move up. Often not the case.

He’s had more than one good season. His quality is clear to see.

Where’s the evidence that Sharp, ten years older, can ‘make the step up’?

Sharp has earned his chance and doesn't come with a £20 million price tag?

Seriously, if we are talking of players we want to make a difference to the squad, then the lad I mentioned Mikey Johnston would probably be of more benefit as I don’t see him costing anything like the fees mentioned for Maupay.
Duffy upgrade from what my eyes witnessed

There’s no evidence for either. Sharp has never been given the opportunity but has in fact scored consistently for over a decade in the Championship/League One. Maupay has scored in the Championship for what? 18 months?

Maybe, but Maupay has more to his game than goals. He says himself he is happy at number ten or out wide. He’s clearly a skilful, intelligent footballer. He’s 22 and will only get better.

Sorry, but we can’t fashion our transfer policy around what may or may not suit Billy Sharp. That’s Sunday League thinking. We are Premier League.
I'm just playing devils advocate, plus I'm a huge Sharp fan.
Other that Abraham, Maupay is probably my top (relatively) realistic target! He's quality and exactly the sort of singing we need to be making.

Maupay got more goals than Sharp.

Ok.
Few if any strikers in this price range will come with any 'evidence they can take the step up'.
Billy Sharp is already on board and does not require gambling a huge chunk of money.

We've only got 2 strikers who will be here next season, we need at least 2 more. What are you thinking we should do? Loans? Free transfers?

Championship clubs are paying over £10m for strikers, surely £20m for a Premier League club isn't excessive?

We've only got 2 strikers who will be here next season, we need at least 2 more. What are you thinking we should do? Loans? Free transfers?

Championship clubs are paying over £10m for strikers, surely £20m for a Premier League club isn't excessive?
CW will have a limited budget to build the squad. Getting the right players and balancing the books is going to be a huge challenge.

Any fee that is beyond our budget is excessive to us. CW and his staff will have some big decisions to call.

CW will have a limited budget to build the squad. Getting the right players and balancing the books is going to be a huge challenge.

Any fee that is beyond our budget is excessive to us. CW and his staff will have some big decisions to call.
Are you Captain Obvious?

Back
Top Bottom