Your favourite FA cup memory in one photo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

March, 1960, 6th Round, 3-1 win over Newcastle away (first team, for the benefit of Wednesdayites). Crowd of over 54000, including 18000 Blades, Russell scored a hat-trick in the first 18 minutes, leading to over an hour of Ilkla Moor from all 4 sides of the ground. And also led to the first semi-final for Utd in my lifetime. We were standing behind the goal where the hat-trick was scored. Russell’s 2nd goal, from my scrapbook, below:
View attachment 150672
My Dad said they ran 3 coaches from Orgreave Colliery for this game... Not sure if it's true but a great story nonetheless...

i remember that one hodgy as a kid unbelievable scoreline was their really 18k united fans there ?
I think the rule was that the away team were allocated a third of the tickets. That is from memory, so I may be wrong. There were certainly large numbers in all parts of the ground.

Not this photo, but really remember the game versus Villa at home in 1996, as went with a Spurs supporting mate.

Seem to recall that it was on TV, and did I dream it or was it bloody freezing that day? Seem to recall freezing my balls off that day.
28-jan-1996-sheffield-united-v-aston-villa-sheffields-dane-whitehouse-holds-off-villas-ugo-ehi...jpg

Not this photo, but really remember the game versus Villa at home in 1996, as went with a Spurs supporting mate.

Seem to recall that it was on TV, and did I dream it or was it bloody freezing that day? Seem to recall freezing my balls off that day.
View attachment 150686
Yep, an fa cup classic ! it was freezing. Some snow about cos people threw snowballs at Dwight Yorke as he took an audacious penalty. Also remember the violinist Nigel Kennedy being removed from the south stand for his own safety.

Upon reading the thread title I immediately thought of Michael Doyle's cockerney walk when we put one over West Ham, but then realised it was the league cup :(
But fuck it, we'll have it anyway! :p

Dlgd_d9XgAAqLS2

sheffield-united-v-burscough-1979-80-fa--25457-p.jpg

My first FA Cup game.
From memory I think Burscough were holding us to 0-0 at half time and played well, with maybe fitness taking over in the last 30 mins for us and we came out 3-0 winners (I think!). Struggling to remember who scored too (Flood got one maybe?, Bourne?)
MacPhail, Speight and Matthews

sheffield-united-v-burscough-1979-80-fa--25457-p.jpg

My first FA Cup game.
From memory I think Burscough were holding us to 0-0 at half time and played well, with maybe fitness taking over in the last 30 mins for us and we came out 3-0 winners (I think!). Struggling to remember who scored too (Flood got one maybe?, Bourne?)

I thought we went a goal up very early on, meaning we expected an avalanche which didn't come about. I remember the United fans chanting "Burscough!" at the end, which was nice.

I thought we went a goal up very early on, meaning we expected an avalanche which didn't come about. I remember the United fans chanting "Burscough!" at the end, which was nice.
Yes, MacPhail's goal celebration at the Kop End made my dad laugh

I've gone for the spontaneous applause when Hull went 5-3 up after we'd given it absolutely everything. We were all so proud and it was something I've never experienced or even seen elsewhere in football.
View attachment 150730
agreed on that. ive never seen that before. it was special thing to part of

Carl Veart fa cup 3rd rnd 1996,1-0 replay v Arsenal at the lane, Seaman had just split from his missus, in the car going home afterwards on Rad sheff. Seamans ex come on to say how delighted she was the blades had won, in fact she was bloody ecstatic, i was pissing myself laughing that much i had to stop the car.
Paul Walker just didn't know what to say.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct, a chant of Burscough at the end of the game.

Funny how I can remember things like that but half the time can’t remember things I did last week

Apologies for not being a photo but my first FA Cup recollection was 30th January 1965 v Aston Villa lost 0-2.

Keith Kettleboprough was sent off and I feel this is the first dismissal I ever witnessed.

It looks as though Winston Churchill's funeral was on the same day and I recall players wearing black arm bands and a minutes silence.

Nowadays all fixtures would have been postponed. A different era.

Apologies for not being a photo but my first FA Cup recollection was 30th January 1965 v Aston Villa lost 0-2.

Keith Kettleboprough was sent off and I feel this is the first dismissal I ever witnessed.

It looks as though Winston Churchill's funeral was on the same day and I recall players wearing black arm bands and a minutes silence.

Nowadays all fixtures would have been postponed. A different era.
great right hook

I've gone for the spontaneous applause when Hull went 5-3 up after we'd given it absolutely everything. We were all so proud and it was something I've never experienced or even seen elsewhere in football.
View attachment 150730

It was about the same time as the mass brawl broke out.
I wonder what started it

"Siddarn"
"Fuck off"
"Get thi sen fuckin saddarn, or tha'll get fuckin lamped"
"Fuck off"
"Right you cunts, that's it"

Back
Top Bottom