Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Again, things have improved but to say it’s greatly improved is what I’m questioning. Defensively we’ve been just as poor under Wilder than we were under Hekcy. I get that you’re absolutely desperate to try and paint a pretty picture but have you enjoyed our performances since he returned?
Again, the facts are we are doubling the previous managers points per game.

Can I ask your opinion on Hecky? If you think Hecky was the worst manager in the history of our football club and Wilder only doubled his points per game then I wouldn’t agree with your view point but would understand. If you could answer that point please.

Defensively yes I agree we are just as bad. No real improvement same players performing just as bad for this manager as they did the last. No arguments there, it’s the one area we need to improve.

There’s no painting a pretty picture I’ve only stated facts and agreed with some of your points. I believe this is the maximum we can get out of this set of players. Unless you believe this squad is capable of achieving 40 points with another manager?

Performance wise yes we actually score goals how is that not improving. I understand everyone frustration we threw away 4 points in 2 games. But for Sheffield United at this point in time being ahead in games is amazing for us 😂.

Like I say maybe you think Hecky is awful manager or maybe you think the squad we have is better than me. Once these points are sorted out then at least can see your view point.

Look mate, there isn't really any debate. I made it 9 points from 16 games, but whatever, it's appalling, whether it's 9 from a possible 48 or 10 from a possible 45 it's not really defendable. "Improved us greatly" just doesn't stand up. If it's 9 points from 16 games then we got 6 points from 13 under Hecky, or 5 from 15. Either way, we're a tiny bit better statistically, but the evidence on the pitch, with very occasional exceptions, points to us being realistically almost as bad.
If you came on here and said we're a tiny bit better, there is a tiny bit of evidence for that, but you do overdo your clear liking for Wilder somewhat.
My points are pretty clear. I believe doubling our points per game during a season is very good?

Unless you think Hecky is absolutly terrible ?

Or you think our squad is good enough to achieve say 40 points.

I don’t see what much more we can get from this side.

Again, the facts are we are doubling the previous managers points per game.

Can I ask your opinion on Hecky? If you think Hecky was the worst manager in the history of our football club and Wilder only doubled his points per game then I wouldn’t agree with your view point but would understand. If you could answer that point please.

Defensively yes I agree we are just as bad. No real improvement same players performing just as bad for this manager as they did the last. No arguments there, it’s the one area we need to improve.

There’s no painting a pretty picture I’ve only stated facts and agreed with some of your points. I believe this is the maximum we can get out of this set of players. Unless you believe this squad is capable of achieving 40 points with another manager?

Performance wise yes we actually score goals how is that not improving. I understand everyone frustration we threw away 4 points in 2 games. But for Sheffield United at this point in time being ahead in games is amazing for us 😂.

Like I say maybe you think Hecky is awful manager or maybe you think the squad we have is better than me. Once these points are sorted out then at least can see your view point.

I agreed that there’s been some improvement. Did you read my comment? Again, I disagree that the improvement has been great. Yes we are now scoring goals but things haven’t been great in any way.

Under Hecky we’d have been relegated with around 14 points. That doesn’t mean that it would be ‘great’ to be relegated on 25 points under Wilder.

While it may be the case that United have accrued a few more points under Wilder, the 31 goals conceded in the last 9 games including a club record run of four consecutive home games conceding 5 goals or more doesn’t really support the claim of a “massive improvement” in results. Marginal improvement would be more accurate. And performance wise it’s hard to say really. Same shit different day generally speaking, wouldn’t you agree?
Defensively for sure I agree with you we haven’t done enough there.

We’ll performance wise let’s compare Fulham our last game.

We played them down there and got absolutely annihilated it should have been 8 and we scored our goal by an OG.

Yesterday we were an inch away from going 4-1 up at home. Yes we collapsed but for 88 minutes the performance was far far superior.

I mean come on mate, you are debating factually correct numbers.

PH - 0.36 PPG
CW - 0.66 PPG

Now he clearly has faults and has made mistakes, but we are gaining points at a rate nearly double that of before CW came in.

Not a survival rate, no.
But unquestionably improved.

You're also ignoring that we went into the season without anything resembling a squad, no manager gets anything with the team that started this season.
We've been forced to forge a team during the season. The current squad is poor, but we didn't have the likes of McAtee and Hamer then.

We've seen some improved performances under Wilder, but also some absolutely bloody dreadful ones.

I agreed that there’s been some improvement. Did you read my comment? Again, I disagree that the improvement has been great. Yes we are now scoring goals but things haven’t been great in any way.

Under Hecky we’d have been relegated with around 14 points. That doesn’t mean that it would be ‘great’ to be relegated on 25 points under Wilder.
Things being great? I never said great? I said improved. Doubly our expected points total is greatly improved. You don’t think so that’s fine.

You believe greatly improved would be tripling the previous manager? Not sure on your parameters.

Again, can you make your thoughts clear on Hecky? If he was terrible then doubling his points total in your view would be seen as poor. If you believe Hecky was good doubling his points total would make Wilder very good would it not?

Defensively for sure I agree with you we haven’t done enough there.

We’ll performance wise let’s compare Fulham our last game.

We played them down there and got absolutely annihilated it should have been 8 and we scored our goal by an OG.

Yesterday we were an inch away from going 4-1 up at home. Yes we collapsed but for 88 minutes the performance was far far superior.

If you’re going to use such childish logic why don’t we use Arsenal as example. We lost 5-0 away from home under Hecky but 6-0 at home under Wilder. Fantastic improvement.

You're also ignoring that we went into the season without anything resembling a squad, no manager gets anything with the team that started this season.
We've been forced to forge a team during the season. The current squad is poor, but we didn't have the likes of McAtee and Hamer then.

We've seen some improved performances under Wilder, but also some absolutely bloody dreadful ones.
There’s always external factors like you say. I agree with your points on Hecky. But equally it’s the same now you can argue inheriting a team with zero confidence would be a huge detrimental factor. There’s millions to go at.

If you’re going to use such childish logic why don’t we use Arsenal as example. We lost 5-0 away from home under Hecky but 6-0 at home under Wilder. Fantastic improvement.
I used the last game. But okay I didn’t enjoy the Arsenal game home or away. Both were embarrassing. We can agree on that?

So Fulham? You agree was chalk and cheese in terms of performance? Fulham away should have been an 8-0 and we crumbled in 88 minute this time.

Edit: embarrassing logic? It’s a debate, you seriously look like it’s not going to your plan so your cherry picking games. But I will answer them and not do what you do and just ignore the points poised.

Wilder saw what Hecky did and he had (and still has) possibility to do things different and he chooses to play Norwood.

We have had horrible results with both managers this season and squad has role in these. Manager still has big role over the squad and decisions like subs in Fulham game raise question "is the manager any better than 'average joe' watching the game?".

It's more frustrating to see new manager repeating errors of previous manager when he has all the knowledge to do things different.

Bladezz, thanks for your honest reply, as i said i wasnt after an atgument just wanted to know, cheers

Wilder saw what Hecky did and he had (and still has) possibility to do things different and he chooses to play Norwood.

We have had horrible results with both managers this season and squad has role in these. Manager still has big role over the squad and decisions like subs in Fulham game raise question "is the manager any better than 'average joe' watching the game?".

It's more frustrating to see new manager repeating errors of previous manager when he has all the knowledge to do things different.
He has hardly played under Wilder! He come on in like the 85th minute!

Did anyone really believe that when the change of manager came in they would suddenly turn water into wine, the squad we currently have at this level is appalling however you want to wrap it up, we can’t compete for 90 minutes or 115, when Wilder came in the season had already gone, in my eyes it had gone during the transfer window, I can’t stress this enough it was fucking terrible and I mean terrible, we brought in some of the worst players we could’ve, some have all ready been jettisoned, personally I can’t believe they all haven’t except Hamer, we significantly reduced the quality and work ethic from our team, we were never ever going to be able to compete at this level with what happened this summer and I can’t believe so many thought we could or can now, this part of the season is about one thing for me, finding out which players will/should be here next season, that’s it.
For this total shitshow I blame the board and I blame Hecky to some degree but not Wilder at this point, I’ll reserve judgement on him till after the summer and we start next season, again he may get totally fucked by the board and left with a pile of shite but this season has never been about Wilder it’s been about the huge missed opportunity of staying in this league probably with the lowest points total ever.

Think Norwood would be a calm head in the champ, get Brewster back as well with a full pre season.

If Norwood wants to be a calm head shouting encouragement to his ex teammates from the South Stand next season then that's fine with me. Though if he wants to play football on a Saturday then he will need to get himself another club. He is no longer the player he was and he is not good enough for a side that is aspiring to be up there challenging in the Championship next season. He is probably at mid league 1 level now. He's had a good career and been great for SUFC but he isn't the future and he won't be here next season. That's life.

Last edited:
bringing norwood and mcatee on when we were obviously clinging on was a bad basic decision by somebody on the touchline there was 5 discussing who to bring on and between em they made the wrong choice norwood has been a great servant for the club but hes shot and should be nowhere near the matchday squad he has to be moved on

While we do it rarely, and mainly in the second half which seems to be the plan, we do look better going forward than under the previous coach.
Defensively we’re shit and we particularly struggle after 70 mins when we can’t bring any quality on.
I’m not convinced that’s on the manager.

I also don’t buy that the sub should have been Brooks as he’s shown defensive fragility and positional naivety when played earlier this season. He looks a great talent, quick feet, direct, pacy on the ball and he’ll be a huge asset next season but he’s not someone you bring on to see a game out. Problem is, neither is Norwood, clearly. So did he make a mistake, possibly but I don’t but he cost us 2 points because there’s no options that stops them battering us for the last 35 mins including injury time.

Yes Wilder hasn’t turned the season around but given the choices at he’s disposal I think from a very low benchmark we look slightly better and the signings while he’s been here are also slightly better.

Last edited:
If Norwood wants to be a calm head shouting encouragement to his ex teammates from the South Stand next season then that's fine with me. Though if he wants to play football on a Saturday then he will need to get himself another club. He is no longer the player he was and he is not good enough for a side that is aspiring to be up there challenging in the Championship next season. He is probably at mid league 1 level now. He's had a good career and been great for SUFC but he isn't the future and he won't be here next season. That's Ilife.
I put a line on another thread over the weekend Weasel, that I bumped into Norwood at the Lane last week and he said that he'd been told he wasn't getting a renewed contract.

If Norwood wants to be a calm head shouting encouragement to his ex teammates from the South Stand next season then that's fine with me. Though if he wants to play football on a Saturday then he will need to get himself another club. He is no longer the player he was and he is not good enough for a side that is aspiring to be up there challenging in the Championship next season. He is probably at mid league 1 level now. He's had a good career and been great for SUFC but he isn't the future and he won't be here next season. That's life.

Sufc logic is if they were good years ago give em a contract.

Besides if we give him a 1 year deal he will play loads better.

You can excuse losing to better players / sides but not sides that are fitter . If anything you’d think we’d be all over that with our other deficiencies???
It’s not fitness, it’s fatigue. The fact that every side, bar Luton and Burnley can replace half their side at 60 minutes and bring on better players than we have starting, kills us.
Where Luton have succeeded is they have an organised side where everyone knows their roles, just as we had last time we were promoted, so they’re incredibly well drilled and organised but we don’t have this time.

Back
Top Bottom