Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thought today we did (stats may prove me wrong) and not sure mental exhaustion causes cramp.

One of the most embarrassing moments of the season happened today. It wasnt us shipping countless goals at home, it was one for our defenders going down with cramp and one of their players helping stretch them....
Souza also went down and the Fulham player was doing same . We were screaming for the Fulham players to drag him off and sling him down the tunnel

Waste of a shirt

Look at the bench and tell me his amazing options. Players were tiring he has limited choice & went for experience which most managers would in that situation.
This is the problem that we have and will always have. We don’t have a squad, we have a first 11 and fillers

Arblaster and Souza had both been down for spells and he replaced them both.

We’d delayed the subs a few mins before when it looked like McAtee was set to come on, that changed when Souza took a knock and the change was made seemingly after the 4th goal.

I agree that the timing wasn’t great but we brought the best experience we had on the bench

Had it been 4-1 I don’t think it would’ve been an issue as Fulham looked out of it until that one got chalked off

I don't know why people don't get that that getting a point vs Fulham is a big overachievement for these lads, but it is. Their team and bench is a lot better than ours. It isn't even close.

Unfortunately both centre mids were done. CW actually brought a kid on who could run who played like football's answer to a colinder. Ball watched, didn't track back and didn't protect his knackered wing back. The midfield sub he didn't make was Brooks instead of Mcatee - not Norwood. He could've possibly brought Osula on instead of the other forward, too, and packed the middle and gone longer earlier hoping to turn them with Osula's pace in order to potentially wind the clock down a bit more effectively.I can't say it definitely would've worked as Osula has been hit and miss in this aspect all season.
The more men you have in the middle the less running and space they each have to cover - that formation change had its logic with the lack of mobility and fitness in the side. That's theory though, not necessarily practise. You could just totally cede the ball and get picked off wishing you'd kept two forwards or an attacking midfield player who can transition (Mcattee)..

There's actually a fair argument that BBD and Mcburnie should never start together as it's imperative that one comes on for the other on the hour mark. They both start and what can we do from the bench?!. Then again, maybe we aren't 3-1 up then.

It's Hobson's choice at LWB. A tired Ossie had to go in the middle due to his mobility. We are then left with Trusty or Larouchi at LWB due to injuries. Good luck with that one. Overall, I can't help but feel that we are in more games. That we are more organised and hard working too. I can't in good faith ask for much more due to the obvious limitations. I was disappointed but proud of the players yesterday.

He is he’s just not very well suited for the PL
He won't be very well suited for the Championship next season either, not with us anyway.

I was chatting to the man himself earlier this week outside the Lane and he's been told that they won't be offering him a new contract.

He won't be very well suited for the Championship next season either, not with us anyway.

I was chatting to the man himself earlier this week outside the Lane and he's been told that they won't be offering him a new contract.

He could probably still do a job for a mid table championship team, but no higher than that. The right decision if we want to be competitive next year (assuming we find a better replacement which is not a given!

I cheered Wilder when he arrived and made changes - like not picking Norwood, who was done last season in Championship level - but now everytime we've Norwood on the pitch, we have conceded and lost points.
Maybe Norwood's pissed off about not getting picked and so moving even slower when he does come on as a desperation sub

I actually will blame the recruitment. We will be making 6/7 first team signings which is incredibly difficult. We get it right we have a good shot if we sign 6 duds then we are in serious trouble.

Signing Grbic shows Wilder isn’t in charge of all signings but does have some say in BBD and Holgate.

But we don’t know who the Head of Recruitment is. My only worry is we are falling so far behind.
Who signed Gbric ? Genuine question

You’d rather a winger play holding midfield 😂
I'd bet everything I've got that Brooks would have stopped Cairney in one-way or another compared to Norwood's embarrassing toddler like effort.

And there lies the question why can't our players last 90 mins or even 114 Ffs! Over to you Wilder..
Probably coz they are playing at a level of quality which is above them which is knackering them.
Add to that the mental demotivation of deservedly being bottom and you can see why.

Probably coz they are playing at a level of quality which is above them which is knackering them.
Add to that the mental demotivation of deservedly being bottom and you can see why.
I understand the quality issue, but no excuse for fitness, maybe at semi professional but not at this level.

Wilder talking up Fulham's bench compared to ours was deluded nonsense and what I've come to expect from this second coming. He is De Souza in managerial form, always pointing the finger elsewhere and never taking responsibility himself.

As soon as he brought on Norwood and McAtee I feared the worst. Norwood offers nothing with or without the ball and everytime he plays teams run past him with ease (watch Wilder give him a new deal in the summer). We literally play with ten men. He should have brought on Brooks, who at least has the energy, enthusiasm and commitment to see out the game. As for McAtee. On the ball he can be good, but off it he offers nothing. He doesn't track back, he doesn't tackle. Bringing him on in a game where Fulham had 76% possession meant that we were now playing with 9 men. Bring on Osula so he can at least be further up the pitch when we lose the ball, or Slimane and shore up the midfield and see out the game with one up top. Absolute madness that cost us two points.

Wilder's choice of substitutes cost us that result, as did more woeful defending at a set piece where an unmarked player once again scored, and the equaliser came from a defender abandoning the player they were marking as they were too busy watching the ball..... again, leaving them free to shoot, credit to them for the finish.

No dodgy added time messed this up. No quality of Fulham's subs compared to ours messed this up. Wilder's ego and loyalty to certain players messed this up. His stubborness to his precious three at the back and clear lack of coaching going on when it comes to defending set pieces, which happened in his last season in charge, also factored into this.

Point the finger at yourself for once Wilder. Like most of your players who are still here since your last tenure, you're past your prime and don't work as well as you once did. This club needs an enema this summer. New players, new coaches, new scouts and a new manager with new ideas. Thanks for trying but time for us to look forward and not back. If it takes 5-6 seasons to rebuild something good then I'll take it as even last season I was bored for most of the season, despite us chasing promotion. We have gone from being the nations second favourite team playing with inovation and no fear, to the laughing stock of the nation with no long term plan and no identity. We have become a nothing club.

Last edited:
He’s a winger. Know your football players first please 😂

I thought you were talking about Wilder there. Same applies to him as much as Norwood.

CW next season is not everyone's cup of tea (not my ideal manager/coach either, even though I don't have a problem with CW, but would prefer someone like Corberan if WBA don't achieve promotion), but it would appear that the owner has made his mind up regarding the position and CW has returned from the latest meeting with what appears to be some sort of purpose and an agreed way forward (which could be anything at this stage, but I like many believe that it will be a mixture of youth, free transfers, max out on loans and maybe 1-3 small value purchases? And this would probably be ok to CW), so time to stop talking about it and sit back and see what happens.

CW next season is not everyone's cup of tea (not my ideal manager/coach either, even though I don't have a problem with CW, but would prefer someone like Corberan if WBA don't achieve promotion), but it would appear that the owner has made his mind up regarding the position and CW has returned from the latest meeting with what appears to be some sort of purpose and an agreed way forward (which could be anything at this stage, but I like many believe that it will be a mixture of youth, free transfers, max out on loans and maybe 1-3 small value purchases? And this would probably be ok to CW), so time to stop talking about it and sit back and see what happens.
Loan signings can be useful but they've left us short over the last few seasons. MGW left and we replaced him with McAtee. McAtee left and we replaced him with an inferior McAtee. Doyle left and we didn't replace him. Now Brereton-Diaz will leave and we won't replace him. Loan signings should bolster your squad but not be your key players as they leave you short after when they return to their parent clubs. I'd far rather own our own players.

It's all well and good saying we'll sign up and coming young players with good resale value when those players don't belong to us. We made Wolves £40mil for MGW and got nothing for it as we paid them millions for helping them sell him for this fee.

Loan signings can be useful but they've left us short over the last few seasons. MGW left and we replaced him with McAtee. McAtee left and we replaced him with an inferior McAtee. Doyle left and we didn't replace him. Now Brereton-Diaz will leave and we won't replace him. Loan signings should bolster your squad but not be your key players as they leave you short after when they return to their parent clubs. I'd far rather own our own players.

It's all well and good saying we'll sign up and coming young players with good resale value when those players don't belong to us. We made Wolves £40mil for MGW and got nothing for it as we paid them millions for helping them sell him for this fee.
Agree mate, but I think the reality is that it will likely be loans to supply the quality again, with youth, free signings and a small number of low value/low risk perms to make up the spine of the squad.

Agree mate, but I think the reality is that it will likely be loans to supply the quality again, with youth, free signings and a small number of low value/low risk perms to make up the spine of the squad.
Some of the youth might just begin to provide the quality.

Some of the youth might just begin to provide the quality.
Maybe Blaster and Osula could be the ones next season, I am also expecting Trusty to perform better at the level below, same with Hamer, if he is still here, not sure about the rest?

He is he’s just not very well suited for the PL
The reason i was being flippant was based on the pathetic attempt to tackle an opponent which leads to thier 2nd goal. He comes off the bench and that's the best he can muster. I really hope this end of season clearout is brutal kids frees and a few loans I'd accept that right now

I'd rather Souza stay on than Norwood come on.
why could Souza not manage a full game? Its not like he rips it up from box to box. I know i will be howled at but i had to change I would have put Larouci on to counter Traore's pace, and moved Osborn into the middle
Also not hanging him out to dry but for their second goal Osborn is way over to our right mid, leaving Reed unmarked in the middle to pick his spot

Wilder talking up Fulham's bench compared to ours was deluded nonsense and what I've come to expect from this second coming. He is De Souza in managerial form, always pointing the finger elsewhere and never taking responsibility himself.

As soon as he brought on Norwood and McAtee I feared the worst. Norwood offers nothing with or without the ball and everytime he plays teams run past him with ease (watch Wilder give him a new deal in the summer). We literally play with ten men. He should have brought on Brooks, who at least has the energy, enthusiasm and commitment to see out the game. As for McAtee. On the ball he can be good, but off it he offers nothing. He doesn't track back, he doesn't tackle. Bringing him on in a game where Fulham had 76% possession meant that we were now playing with 9 men. Bring on Osula so he can at least be further up the pitch when we lose the ball, or Slimane and shore up the midfield and see out the game with one up top. Absolute madness that cost us two points.

Wilder's choice of substitutes cost us that result, as did more woeful defending at a set piece where an unmarked player once again scored, and the equaliser came from a defender abandoning the player they were marking as they were too busy watching the ball..... again, leaving them free to shoot, credit to them for the finish.

No dodgy added time messed this up. No quality of Fulham's subs compared to ours messed this up. Wilder's ego and loyalty to certain players messed this up. His stubborness to his precious three at the back and clear lack of coaching going on when it comes to defending set pieces, which happened in his last season in charge, also factored into this.

Point the finger at yourself for once Wilder. Like most of your players who are still here since your last tenure, you're past your prime and don't work as well as you once did. This club needs an enema this summer. New players, new coaches, new scouts and a new manager with new ideas. Thanks for trying but time for us to look forward and not back. If it takes 5-6 seasons to rebuild something good then I'll take it as even last season I was bored for most of the season, despite us chasing promotion. We have gone from being the nations second favourite team playing with inovation and no fear, to the laughing stock of the nation with no long term plan and no identity. We have become a nothing club.
So you think our bench is stronger than Fulhams ?

So you think our bench is stronger than Fulhams ?
No, their bench is irrelevant.

The point I was making is that Wilder had better options and he brought on the wrong ones and that cost us the game. It didn't matter whether Fulham had better subs than us. When you bring on Norwood and McAtee in a game where you've had 24% possession and you're trying to see out the game then you've just handed Fulham an advantage to get back into the game, regardless of whether they make subs or not. Bringing on Norwood instead of Brooks killed our midfield and allowed Fulham to run through us unopposed. Bringing on McAtee, who is only good on the ball when we've had 24% possession ALL game and not bring on Slimane or even Osula, again gave Fulham an advantage.

Wilder's poor choice of substitutes cost us not the quality difference. As soon as I saw Norwood come on my heart sank as I knew we'd ***k it up!

Back
Top Bottom