Wilder willing to return?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It would be peak Sheffield United to do something like this.

However I think too many bridges have been burned, plus it’s Biggs so it’s 99% certain to be bollocks anyway.

Good post Selby....I was just about to give you a well deserved “like”....then I saw the last bit.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “back him” but he was trusted and financially backed regards his signings.
It’s like Warnock revisited....most of Wilders bargain basement signings have been impressive....but his big money signings have generally been poor.

Also when ever the Prince has spoken he’s always been publicly really complementary about Chris.

I’m still undecided regards Chris in respect of his level.
Again like Warnock...there’s’ no doubting that if you give Chris low quality players....he’s brilliant at getting a tune out of them
but does his management style work with higher quality players with ego’s.

Will be interesting to see where Chris ends up....don‘t think he‘ll receive any interest at PL level.
He’s probably already been type cast by the National media as “another Warnock“....
I reckon he’ll receive plenty of interest from decent sized Championship clubs...his best offer might be a club like Derby...when Rooney gets sacked.
He was supposed to get the new training ground where is it?
He asked to increase the wage bill was it?
He asked for a couple of loan signings a third way through the season to mitigate Sander Berge's injury and JOC's where were they?
That's what I mean by backed.
There is no way on this planet that you can go into the striker market without £40mil and expect success. He did the best with what he was able and got us to nineth. The plan was not to stay up it was to improve the squad, he did this we have a better squad now than when we came up.
Covid killed our season in a few ways. Had we had Bramall Lane rocking we would have got more results (Martin Keone stated this). The long gap then shortened pre season killed us in terms of fitness. It must have been aweful playing in dead stadiums that are the dream of playing in that league.
I wasn't talking about his big ticket signings he did the best he coiuld with the money.
Also like Sir Alex Chris Wilder goes on personality as much as ability. Look at Sander Berge great kid personality and fits in well. So I presume he would have kept the squad personality together and not intorduced "Ego's" into it.

Depends who's on this shortlist. If CW was to return, I'd almost guarantee that he would get us back up in one season. That is what he's good at and excels in, especially having had a break, which I advocated he needed towards the end of last year and got torn apart by some for even suggesting it. However, as we would then appear to be a yoyo club, what would happen if we then struggle back in the Premier. We could be back to square one with yet another fallout between him and the Prince.
The clubs priority in the short term is getting back up so I can see the appeal, however, I'm sure with either Jokanovic or Clement, not only would we be one of the favourites for promotion, but would probably be a far better stable position for a more mid to long term plan with a good manager (hopefully) at the wheel.

It depends what the players have been saying to Betis etc. If Sander or Didzy have said they would prefer him back and that became a chorus then maybe they have to rethink.
There are a few things that I would throw into the mix.
  • Why did the son in law "chairman" "resign" before the end of the season, maybe the messages Chris Wilder was saying were to him? Then they hadn't gone through to the Prince, I don't know.
  • The Prince obviously felt his nose put out of joint by Chris Wilder's on the record comments (Jim Phipps said as much)
  • Would the Prince ever take losing face over potential profit / success?
  • What effect is Rip Van Winckle having as a sleeper agent?
  • Were the effects of Covid / Short very interupted Pre Season / Huge injury problems / Rammo's slow start / JOC and the cover of the unique position / January window only a third through the season but no assistance with loans / training ground promises unfulfilled and the low wage structure taken into account when sacking or not backing him?
I think the break will have done CW the power of good my family members saw him on the Golf Course he shouted back that he misses "us" the fans.

I would have him back in a heartbeat. The Prince says he has been "in football" for a long time and knows what he is doing. I think Chris Wilder knows a sight more than he does after worrying about not being able to afford the fuel for his car but carried on at a club that didn't pay his wages. He has been successful over and over again in many different circumstances and his stubberness is why he is successful. Chris Wilder is his own man and if he feels he is getting stiffed then he will offer his resignation that's who he is.
He is not a merry go round manager who tugs his forelock at the board. They needed to back him and did not.
They backed him in the way he wanted. He had final say on transfers etc. He was the one who, through no pressure declared himself delighted with the summer business.

Then after 17 games without a win and post match sniping we were constantly told we couldn't be expected to compete.

Wilder has had success. That's why he was the right choice, nothing to do with the "one of our own" stuff. But he's also walked out a fair few times. You call that principled, plenty of others call it quitting when it got too hard.

We've spent around £280m on fees and wages since promotion. And our best XI over the 2 seasons is the promotion team but Lunny for Duffy and thin Moose for Sharp. The recruitment has been a complete failure.

If you think it's because he wasn't backed, fine. But Wilder knew the budget and was happy to go along with it during success and take the plaudits for outperforming it (and the financial gains). But he wanted no part of responsibility for the underperformance. If he'd known he couldn't get the team competitive he should have quit then shouldn't he?

I loved the Wilder years and he did an amazing job. But let's not rewrite history to say he was thrown under a bus. He left a hugely difficult job that he didn't want anymore. I hope he's as successful again in the future. But it won't be with United under this owner

He asked for a couple of loan signings a third way through the season to mitigate Sander Berge's injury and JOC's where were they?
There is no way on this planet that you can go into the striker market without £40mil and expect success. He did the best with what he was able and got us to nineth. The plan was not to stay up it was to improve the squad, he did this we have a better squad now than when we came up.
Covid killed our season in a few ways. Had we had Bramall Lane rocking we would have got more results (Martin Keone stated this). The long gap then shortened pre season killed us in terms of fitness. It must have been aweful playing in dead stadiums that are the dream of playing in that league.
I wasn't talking about his big ticket signings he did the best he coiuld with the money.
Also like Sir Alex Chris Wilder goes on personality as much as ability. Look at Sander Berge great kid personality and fits in well. So I presume he would have kept the squad personality together and not intorduced "Ego's" into it.
"The best he could with the money"

Are you being serious? You don't think there was another player available in the whole world than McBurnie? Brewster? Robinson x 2? Burke?

"The best he could with the money"

Are you being serious? You don't think there was another player available in the whole world than McBurnie? Brewster? Robinson x 2? Burke?
Far better if you have £40mil to spend and huge wages to give. We couldn't get Maupay because of wages he hasn't really been prolific has he?

So, Aldi Partridge has now said Hecky, SJ and now Wilder within a week. Given his output at the time of the departure, and the club snub since, it isn't a surprise. Questions:

Can the burned bridges be mended?
Has Wilder changed his stance on recruitment?
Are the board now totally committed to a change of direction?

Edit: Solid rule: Never go back!

The whole reason this turned into such a shit show was Sir Chris of Tufty let his ego explode to the point he couldn't look in the mirror (and tv camera) and admit he'd made a series of whopping mistakes.

He didn't have the humility, self awareness and emotional intelligence to be own it. More importantly, I wonder if he had the nous and intellect to put it right?

Either way, unless he's turned over a new leaf, listened to a few Jocko podcasts, I don't think this will ever happen...

1, Covid delayed the training ground. As it's delayed most things in life now, if it's not all sorted by the beginning of next season then i'll start getting concerned.

2, I'd say it's increased from what it was previously. Double edged sword really. In paying 23m for players, it's hard to increase it. Maybe signing players for less would enable us to spend more wage wise. Also it's a bit weird wilder said previously "I won't jeopardise the club etc etc" however surely signing unproven youth players for 23m is more risky than signing a competent player who's older, costs less in fees but more in wages..

3, he asked for signings when it was all but confirmed we were going down.. Couple that with the fact he'd requested (apparently) to leave before then would indicate the prince didn't trust he'd be around much longer, and rightfully wasn't interested in spending more money to "finish in a reasonable manner".

Far better if you have £40mil to spend and huge wages to give. We couldn't get Maupay because of wages he hasn't really been prolific has he?
Prince said he had a budget and could have spent it on wages or transfer fees, so could have pursued the likes of soucek for low fee high wages if he had wanted to.

Alan Biggs seems to say anything to give the impression he is in the know, like a poor mans Alan Nixon
Think he's trying to make us a bigger laughing stock than we already are, he's also trying to get onside with the club because they won't give him fuck all!!

So McBurnie and Maupay were the only 2 available?

Definite no from me.

I always said that it's easy to be a great manager when everything is going for you but the real test will come when everything is going against you.

When the real test came he failed it miserably.

If he had stuck with it and still been with us then I would have been delighted to let him have another go at getting us back next season but that ship has long since sailed.

On the other side of the coin I don't know if I admire Prince Abdullah's patience with Wilder or worry because he didn't take decisive action when it was clearly needed.

If I had been in charge Wilder would have been gone before Christmas because he was obviously way out of his depth when the going got tough.

I will always be grateful to Chris for giving us our club back and for taking us on one hell of a ride, but from where I sit it was Wilder's decision to go when he did and I think it was the right decision for all parties.

So thanks Chris, you've been great, I'll always be grateful for what you gave, us and I wish you all the best in your future career but I don't ever see any part of that future as being at the Lane.

For all the chest beating and saying he wouldn't leave through the back door, everybody supporting him, the chairman breaking the law to fly to the UK while the nation was under lockdown just to reassure him he was "his man" face to face, practically begging him and Wilder still seeking an exit, we still know nothing from CW side of things.. Why? What was so bad you desperately needed to get out..

Wilder never got challenged over any of his dealings (Rodwell - Morrison) we never said owt even though nobody knows why they came - is Rodwell still here? Still wanna go on about not getting backed? Oli Burke for Robinson.. Nobody criticised him "in wilder we trust" was the saying..

During this terrible season he'd accepted his team were getting relegated, we'd accepted it before Xmas, but there wasn't a statement from CW saying that he was here for the long haul, wasn't turning his back, would take what comes and go again.. Lean from it all.. Nope, nothing, silence..

Let's not go backwards for sentiment, the same sentiment he didn't have for the club when we needed it..

So, Aldi Partridge has now said Hecky, SJ and now Wilder within a week. Given his output at the time of the departure, and the club snub since, it isn't a surprise. Questions:

Can the burned bridges be mended?
Has Wilder changed his stance on recruitment?
Are the board now totally committed to a change of direction?

Edit: Solid rule: Never go back!
No
I don't know, but I doubt it.
I bloody hope so.

Edit: Agreed

Not for me. Let him go somewhere else and let PA get his way. His relationship with the fans is damaged and as soon as anything looks like it might go wrong, they’ll turn on him. Obviously, a lot of supporters think he could have done much better so let PA find the bloke who can do a better job. There’s too much water under the bridge.

We need him back as any other manager is going to be baffled about whether to play Stevens, RND, Osbourn, Lowe, Bryan or Robinson on the left.

Only joking...Id have Jokanovic but of all the other rumoured appointments I'd prefer Wilder

The Return of the Incredible Sulk? No thanks, first sign of trouble and he’d be sticking his bottom lip out and trying to resign again. You can’t go back.

This isn't Football Manager where you only get a line written to your record once something has happened
People somehow think that Wilder left because he didn't want relegation on his CV, it beggars belief.

If it was 1889 and the clubs only found out about the managerial records via telegram then I could understand it, but one quick google with any combination of 'Wilder' and 'Sheffield United' will give you a lot of articles about a record breakingly shit season. It's not like he can say "wasn't me, Heckingbottom got them relegated" is it?!

Alan no doubt will have been pestering CW for some "content" as he's getting nothing from the club anymore.

The way he disappeared up CWs arse and made himself look a plank on Talksport was hilarious.

Even Simon Jordan asked him if he was CWs agent!

I've heard a bit about this Biggs on Talksport, does anyone have a link or can expand?

I was listening to Talksport last night whilst driving.

They were talking about West Brom being relegated and they think Sam Alladyce might stay because they would be the main favourites for promotion next season.
They highlighted that Fulham have too many loanees and Sheffield United are in turmoil and need to get out of the habit of losing.

However they mentioned the huge gap between the PL and Championship.
They said next season the Championship doesn’t look particularly strong....so all 3 relegated clubs have a good chance of being promoted at the first attempt.

One of the presenters...not sure if it was Darren Ambrose or Darren Bent.
He said he was talking to Alan Biggs who said that “if Sheff Utd offer an olive branch then according to him, Chris Wilder is prepared to return”

I’m surprised this hasn’t been mentioned before or is it old news?
Would you take Wilder back? I suppose it depends on what alternatives we have...but it would certainly give the club a boost.
I don’t want him back! Time for change, as Swiss Tony would say buying your old car back is like making love to your ex, you know it was a fast lean machine once but you also know it’s an out of date banger now.

Move on

Back
Top Bottom