Wilder willing to return?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It depends what the players have been saying to Betis etc. If Sander or Didzy have said they would prefer him back and that became a chorus then maybe they have to rethink.
There are a few things that I would throw into the mix.
  • Why did the son in law "chairman" "resign" before the end of the season, maybe the messages Chris Wilder was saying were to him? Then they hadn't gone through to the Prince, I don't know.
  • The Prince obviously felt his nose put out of joint by Chris Wilder's on the record comments (Jim Phipps said as much)
  • Would the Prince ever take losing face over potential profit / success?
  • What effect is Rip Van Winckle having as a sleeper agent?
  • Were the effects of Covid / Short very interupted Pre Season / Huge injury problems / Rammo's slow start / JOC and the cover of the unique position / January window only a third through the season but no assistance with loans / training ground promises unfulfilled and the low wage structure taken into account when sacking or not backing him?
I think the break will have done CW the power of good my family members saw him on the Golf Course he shouted back that he misses "us" the fans.

I would have him back in a heartbeat. The Prince says he has been "in football" for a long time and knows what he is doing. I think Chris Wilder knows a sight more than he does after worrying about not being able to afford the fuel for his car but carried on at a club that didn't pay his wages. He has been successful over and over again in many different circumstances and his stubberness is why he is successful. Chris Wilder is his own man and if he feels he is getting stiffed then he will offer his resignation that's who he is.
He is not a merry go round manager who tugs his forelock at the board. They needed to back him and did not.

He had a year to adapt to the deficiencies in his squad. Instead he:

Played out of form players with seemingly no regard for performance.
Ran out the same formation every week.
Refused to countenance any change in attacking style despite the team barely registering a shot on target most weeks.
Called out the owner in public.
Called out the fans in public.
Showed zero signs of learning anything from the situation and changing approach on or off the pitch.

There are other things but the point I'm making doesn't need them. He's not an idiot and you don't achieve the results he did without being a good manager. He's either stubborn to the point of self harm, very lucky to have achieved those results or it's something else.

For me that leaves one thing - he didn't want to be here anymore and he engineered an exit that allowed him to pass parts of the blame (at least parts, plenty see CW as an innocent bystander somehow). He left on "his own terms".

I don't think the relationship between owner and manager is salvageable. They don't trust each other.

It's not happening. Not unless there's a new owner

i’d have him back on the premise that he commits to change

willingness to change formation/tactics and readiness to adapt, the glum post match interviews, an international transfer policy, acceptance that the senior management is a team not a one man operation

If there was commitment to progress on these fronts i’d have him back in a heartbeat
I don't really believe in going back in a situation like this and I can only imagine the new manager, owner, fans relationship would end badly, but if we're that desperate to find someone prepared to manage us then yes.

If he had gone out of the front door and agreed that he needed a break from football etc. I could see some mileage in this but the fact he deserted the sinking ship that he was responsible for building means that it gets a firm NO from me.

Would you take Wilder back?

Yes definitely. He would be the lowest risk, "been there, done that" option

I would take Wilder back in a heartbeat. Nobody knows better how to handle these players and he does have unfinished business. Two things for me:

a) wilder/ the princes relationship - will probably never be back to normal and trust has gone
B) This thread - prior to his sacking the fan base was United. Seems people have short memories.

I don't think I would, if I'm being logical about it. I think too much has passed now and his resistance to making any sort of change to a failing system/formation/players this season resulted in me being less forgiving. That's before we get into the resigning/pay-off discussion. Plus it's Alan Biggs talking, I think I'm more ITK than he is.

Onwards.
Biggs is a self centred prat.

I would take Wilder back in a heartbeat. Nobody knows better how to handle these players and he does have unfinished business. Two things for me:

a) wilder/ the princes relationship - will probably never be back to normal and trust has gone
B) This thread - prior to his sacking the fan base was United. Seems people have short memories.
How many times can you hand your notice in before it is accepted

Too many hurdles for this to happen.

How will CW be viewed when he walks into the dressing room? As fans we have kinda turned on him for deserting us in our time of need - how would the players feel if he wandered through the door and said 'ey up lads!' with a cheeky smile on his face? (I would be thinking fuck off dickhead)

How would PA react the first time CW tells him he needs this or that player for £10m+?

How will CW react when PA tells him not this time?

As soon as we loose a couple of matches, the TV interviewer will press him - will he go into mardy mode and blame everyone else again?

What happens to the multi million pound payoff?

There have been multiple threads pointing out that we need to ditch about 10-15 players this summer and rebuild, in doing this CW is admitting responsibility and acknowledging his bad buys - can he do this, or will we see Lunny re-signed, and popping balls through for Burke & Mousse to chase?

All the above suggests to me the relationship is damaged beyond repair - he was supposed to be one of us, this isnt like taking your missus back after a drunken one night stand, this is like you caught her noshing off your brother

As much as I love CW and am grateful for him taking us to the prem, his tactical stubbornness, baffling team selections, playing Luncrap despite his awful performances, its a no from me.
Basically this. When things went to shit, he had no solution. We just persisted with the same players and the same tactic week after week and he never once appeared to take any responsibility for it, the finger was pointed elsewhere.

About three days ago Biggs sources had told him Dyche to Palace and was expecting Wilder to get a call from Burnley, while Hecky Thump was the man for the job because SJ wasn’t interested but now is and United have finally decided they’re interested in him. Clearly Tufty has been on the ‘phone to him - pretending to be Wit - putting him straight now he wants his old job back.

l hope he’s sent them all a Terry’s Chocolate Orange,

Last edited:
Interesting one this one.
Chris is obviously a good manager. He started at the bottom and worked his way up with not just United , culminating in managing in the Prem. But..
I don’t think either Wilder or United were ready for the Prem. We have a good stadium, a good fan base and we had the basis of a good team, but was it Premiership ready?
So, we were promoted, took all teams by surprise.....and come on let’s be honest we all knew we were playing beyond our abilities, it’s amazing what Adrenalin can do, mixed with a lot of luck.
Then....the dreaded lockdown hit us......and for United it hit us hard...especially for a team that literally thrive on the passion of the crowd. We still managed to finish higher than anyone expected but then it was almost straight onto the next season.
We have all missed being at the Lane, meeting for a beer, having face to face arguments as to how x or y has played can you imagine what Chris went through.
No one to talk face to face with, no place to go for a few beers, no family parties., no preseason in Portugal..and United playing like they’ve never seen one another before. It’s lonely at the top, he’s also been running on adrenaline for the last four years , it had to take its toll.
He is now rested. He hasnt( not to my knowledge ) bad mouthed anyone at the Lane, we know his track record.
I would give him another go. It’s unprecedented, but hey we are Sheffield United, what do we care. I think the Prince would probably need to put in some sort of clause re transfers....but if that’s what it takes for Chris to come back....
Anyway, that’s my take...Happy Monday everyone.

They needed to back him and did not.

Good post Selby....I was just about to give you a well deserved “like”....then I saw the last bit.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “back him” but he was trusted and financially backed regards his signings.
It’s like Warnock revisited....most of Wilders bargain basement signings have been impressive....but his big money signings have generally been poor.

Also when ever the Prince has spoken he’s always been publicly really complementary about Chris.

I’m still undecided regards Chris in respect of his level.
Again like Warnock...there’s’ no doubting that if you give Chris low quality players....he’s brilliant at getting a tune out of them
but does his management style work with higher quality players with ego’s.

Will be interesting to see where Chris ends up....don‘t think he‘ll receive any interest at PL level.
He’s probably already been type cast by the National media as “another Warnock“....
I reckon he’ll receive plenty of interest from decent sized Championship clubs...his best offer might be a club like Derby...when Rooney gets sacked.

Nope. He's left through the back door. There's no returning here imo. Would also show he left to avoid the R on his record.. Trust would be at an all time low between him and the prince.

If you think any prospective future employer isn't going to attribute a relegation to Wilder because he jumped ship before it was mathematically certain, then I don't quite know what to say

If you think any prospective future employer isn't going to attribute a relegation to Wilder because he jumped ship before it was mathematically certain, then I don't quite know what to say
I wasn't saying that mate, we all know that.. However there's a difference from knowing it, and actually having it contributed to his record.

Wilder is the best manager we could feasibly attract.

But I don’t think it’s remotely possible wilder is open to coming back now. Biggs talking absolute nonsense.

About three days ago Biggs sources had told him Dyche to Palace and was expecting Wilder to get a call from Burnley, while Hecky Thump was the man for the job because SJ wasn’t interested but now is and United have finally decided they’re interested in him. Clearly Tufty has been on the ‘phone to him - pretending to be Wit - putting him straight now he wants his old job back.

l hope he’s sent them all a Terry’s Chocolate Orange,

Is the packaging slightly damaged?

Back
Top Bottom