2022/2023 Match Thread Wigan Athletic v. Sheffield United - 19th December 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WIG
WIG
WIG

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1671401367167.png vs. 1671401381892.png

Championship Week 24 - Monday 19th December 2022 - 20:00 - DW Stadium

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/wigan-athletic-vs-sheffield-united.627/

Officials:

Referee: Dean Whitestone
Assistant Referee: Mark Russell
Assistant Referee: Paul Hodskinson
Fourth Official: Oliver Langford

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 22.11.28.png

Yes 6 points is extremely welcome, but do you think we'd have got that many against mid to upper league competition because I dont, because we have played the bottom 2 hopefully they're getting up to pace without our points tally suffering
We tanned Burnley!
A lot of players trying to get back to full fitness Clark , Anel , Berge , Mcatee , billy not match fit , McB and they have to play to get back upto speed again … and we still won!

Wigan did the best to give it away to us but we never killed it and it turned into a tough slog in the end. We did well early on but made a number of mistakes as well. Fair result, but we need to be killing these kind of games off.

Wes -4 - Worst game for a long time. Terrible on the goal and headless chicken coming out. Spiled another one badly first half and got away with it. Took a few good claims but poor.
Stevens - 5.5 - Did ok early on and part of some good moves. Struggles to get back but McAtee offered him more support for the first time. Tired as the game went on and a bit lucky a couple of times.
Clark - 6 - Best player first half. Thought he'd end up MoM but misjudged a ball badly in the second and got caught for it second half and sloppy with the ball. Made a good late challenge but a very dangerous tackle to put in inside the box.
Egan - 6.5 - Scored a header and made a few good interceptions and blocks. Like the rest of the defence, got a bit sloppy later on.
Anel - 5.5 - Made a very good challenge to prevent a goal but made a horrible misjudgement when he charged out. He makes some very bad decisions. Wrestling their defenders in the box is one of them. Needs to cut the sloppiness out as well.
Baldock - 6 - Steady but largely quiet for him.
McAtee - 6.5 - Good first half and looked dangerous going forward. Looked much better defensively as well for the first 30 minutes or so but gradually lost that a bit. Much better all round game.
Norwood - 7.5 - MoM for me. One of the only players who can head a ball. Great corner for the goal and the man getting a foot in defensively. Unlucky with a freekick.
Berge - 6 - Some good touches but looks slow in thought and deed far too often. Made more of an effort defensively but half the speed running backwards than forwards. Cannot for the life of him head a ball.
Ndiaye - 7.5 - Set-up the second and looked lively in spurts. When it works for him, it's great. When it doesn't it's a little frustrating.
Sharp - 7 - Took the goal very well and pressed/ran the line well first half. That faded quite badly in the second and so did we with it.

Subs:

McBurnie - 5.5 - Gave us something different when he came on but nothing really stuck
Doyle - 6 - Added some energy when he came on. Made on great run when Baldock found him but the ball wouldn't come down.
Kharda - 5 - Thought he made a series of bad decisions. Summed up by running most of the length of the pitch and then kicking it out. He needs to look up. Runs straight into traffic when there are better options.

Hecky - 7.5 - We should have put the game to bed first half. His tactic to press their defenders really paid off and they were an absolute mess when we did it. As we tired they got more confidence and more of the ball. Got us over the line but what he'd probably give for another midfielder.

Wigan - Pub side first half. Tilt looked like a non-league player. When they had more time on the ball they were better but there defence will cost them Championship status if they keep playing like that.

Against top half of table we got 24 points from 12 games. Better record than bottom half.

A slight concern about that is that we have only played 3 away games against sides currently in the top half and no away games against any of the current top six.

Half way point reached, and since 3 points for a win was introduced this is our 3rd best points total by this point in this division. Only 89 and 05 did we have more points and we went up both years.

Last time we were top 2 at Christmas and didn't go up was 1969.

If we get promoted as I hope and expect, we will get truly arse-f***ed by any EPL team playing like that. I think of the future, and yeah we may invest if we go up. But do you trust Hecky to know who to buy? This is the worst championship I've seen in years, we should murder teams like Wigan. Just my opinion....

Cruising 2-0 v a shit bottom side.
Then fall apart through own failings , especially by management not hooking players who were so knackered they'd become liabilities.
Clinging on at the end.
Just not convincing.

A slight concern about that is that we have only played 3 away games against sides currently in the top half and no away games against any of the current top six.
Glaring error on my part. One of the top half away games was against a top six side - Watford!

delighted with 3pts. 5pts clear in auto at christmas exceeds anything we couldve expected in august. although im avoid looking at the table for a while because i was fine but now we seems in great position. the worry about chucking away desended

we dont half like to make things tough for ourselves. we shouldve been out of sight, especially when berge 6yds out. at least 3-0, & then let wigan back in the game with penalty turned down & the goal that was offside but we cant complain as they shouldve had the penalty. which with a new manager is highly dangerous. but it becoming strange on that we always holding on at the end of both halves. its like weve only got 35 mins of energy. we just cant see games out comfortably. out of the last 5 we were leading in. burnley was the only comfortable finish Bristol City, Cardiff Huddersfield & Wigan

great finish for 2-1. just like messi, its billy sharp who winding the clock back 6-8 years. is that now 123 goals for utd. if thats correct 7th in all time list only 20 off the most recent addition to the list Keith Edwards

i was saying at half time that 2 yellows rule is really annoying. because its not 2 yellows, in the sense of the meaning. because if 16 wasnt booked he wouldve been for that challenge. so why have Wigan still got 11 men. as always feels if your on a booking you need to exceed a yellow. to get a 2nd yellow

Blades 'crying out' for changes​

Wigan 1-2 Sheff Utd
e33f21ed-f327-4b6b-9e25-c5d7cd6c3c73.jpg

Carl Asaba
Former Sheffield United striker on BBC Radio Sheffield
This is crying out to be freshened up for Sheffield United.
You've got the best bench and best squad in the division but you're not using it.
It's so frustrating.

Nailed it.

Taking comfort in the fact that winning games when you are not your best can get you up. Felt the game was crying out for subs after 60 minutes especially as the Laticos were piling on fresh legs in a attempt to get some sort of result.

Iliman dazzled in his trickery and ran himself ragged, McAtee is beginning to shine, Norwood is becoming Mr Reliable and Sander started like a dynamo then turned to blancmange.

Points mean prizes, job done.

That's Swansea, Bristol,Cardiff and Wigan where we've been average to poor and come away with the points. We need a massive improvement in these type of games against better teams to get anything out of them, performances not consistent enough.
Somehow it seems to be working!

Wigan did the best to give it away to us but we never killed it and it turned into a tough slog in the end. We did well early on but made a number of mistakes as well. Fair result, but we need to be killing these kind of games off.

Wes -4 - Worst game for a long time. Terrible on the goal and headless chicken coming out. Spiled another one badly first half and got away with it. Took a few good claims but poor.
Stevens - 5.5 - Did ok early on and part of some good moves. Struggles to get back but McAtee offered him more support for the first time. Tired as the game went on and a bit lucky a couple of times.
Clark - 6 - Best player first half. Thought he'd end up MoM but misjudged a ball badly in the second and got caught for it second half and sloppy with the ball. Made a good late challenge but a very dangerous tackle to put in inside the box.
Egan - 6.5 - Scored a header and made a few good interceptions and blocks. Like the rest of the defence, got a bit sloppy later on.
Anel - 5.5 - Made a very good challenge to prevent a goal but made a horrible misjudgement when he charged out. He makes some very bad decisions. Wrestling their defenders in the box is one of them. Needs to cut the sloppiness out as well.
Baldock - 6 - Steady but largely quiet for him.
McAtee - 6.5 - Good first half and looked dangerous going forward. Looked much better defensively as well for the first 30 minutes or so but gradually lost that a bit. Much better all round game.
Norwood - 7.5 - MoM for me. One of the only players who can head a ball. Great corner for the goal and the man getting a foot in defensively. Unlucky with a freekick.
Berge - 6 - Some good touches but looks slow in thought and deed far too often. Made more of an effort defensively but half the speed running backwards than forwards. Cannot for the life of him head a ball.
Ndiaye - 7.5 - Set-up the second and looked lively in spurts. When it works for him, it's great. When it doesn't it's a little frustrating.
Sharp - 7 - Took the goal very well and pressed/ran the line well first half. That faded quite badly in the second and so did we with it.

Subs:

McBurnie - 5.5 - Gave us something different when he came on but nothing really stuck
Doyle - 6 - Added some energy when he came on. Made on great run when Baldock found him but the ball wouldn't come down.
Kharda - 5 - Thought he made a series of bad decisions. Summed up by running most of the length of the pitch and then kicking it out. He needs to look up. Runs straight into traffic when there are better options.

Hecky - 7.5 - We should have put the game to bed first half. His tactic to press their defenders really paid off and they were an absolute mess when we did it. As we tired they got more confidence and more of the ball. Got us over the line but what he'd probably give for another midfielder.

Wigan - Pub side first half. Tilt looked like a non-league player. When they had more time on the ball they were better but there defence will cost them Championship status if they keep playing like that.
Good report, but a bit generous towards Khadra - I thought he was dreaful in the circumstances. The first 3 times he got the ball, he surrendered possession shortly after, having shunned other options in favour of putting his head down and dribbling aimlessly. Fair enough if we're desperate for a goal but the one thing we needed to do at that stage of the game was hand on to the ball.

Is this the same manager who has the best record in the division over his 50 games in charge?
Words fail me sometimes.
Saw a graphic on sky that showed that since hecky took over, no championship team has accumulated more points, no championship team has scored more, no championship team has conceded less.

I am more and more convinced that the preposterous, entitled views commonly expressed on this forum are completely out of kilter with the real world.

Good report, but a bit generous towards Khadra - I thought he was dreaful in the circumstances. The first 3 times he got the ball, he surrendered possession shortly after, having shunned other options in favour of putting his head down and dribbling aimlessly. Fair enough if we're desperate for a goal but the one thing we needed to do at that stage of the game was hand on to the ball.
I was being generous. He did the first bit well on those occasions but then didn't look up or think about what he's trying to do.

He's not going to start games unless Ndiaye is unavailable and his cameos are more poor than good, I'd be tempted to send him back.

I was being generous. He did the first bit well on those occasions but then didn't look up or think about what he's trying to do.

He's not going to start games unless Ndiaye is unavailable and his cameos are more poor than good, I'd be tempted to send him back.
Yeah let's judge him on 5 minute cameos, judge him if he ever gets a couple of 90 mins on the trot.

Never a pen by the new laws on handball. Stick your arm out def pen arm in front of your body no.

Sky showed an angle from behind the goal. His arm is out it hits his arm its a penalty 100%.

Saw a graphic on sky that showed that since hecky took over, no championship team has accumulated more points, no championship team has scored more, no championship team has conceded less.

I am more and more convinced that the preposterous, entitled views commonly expressed on this forum are completely out of kilter with the real world.

Two things.
This forum exists soley to enable people to express opinions about all things SUFC. The only entitled person on here is you.

Secondly the fact that certain opinions are commonly expressed should tell you it's because they are cause for concern felt by people who are clear sighted and objective. They care every bit about the fortunes of their club, probably more than you.
Just thought you should know the views here in the real world.

🛍️ Carrier Bag Firm
⚔️ Sheffield United 2️⃣
🆚 Wigan Athletic 1️⃣
⚽ SUFC 2022/23 Game 3️⃣6️⃣
🍺 Call back to a previous fiasco at Taphouse, Atherton
📋 Not sure I recognise us - rather ordinary, but now with added wins
📋 My Football & Beer Blog
📖 Read here 👇

🛍️ Carrier Bag Firm
⚔️ Sheffield United 2️⃣
🆚 Wigan Athletic 1️⃣
⚽ SUFC 2022/23 Game 3️⃣6️⃣
🍺 Call back to a previous fiasco at Taphouse, Atherton
📋 Not sure I recognise us - rather ordinary, but now with added wins
📋 My Football & Beer Blog
📖 Read here 👇

Good read, if I was a big drinker I would ask for your advice, you could have some wise words for me.

Good read, if I was a big drinker I would ask for your advice, you could have some wise words for me.
There are definitions, but I am NOT a Big Drinker. In the definition that I NEVER get drunk. But, yes, I love drinking a Big variety of beers. I sometimes say - I'm lucky, I can drink and enjoy any style of beer. My wisest words would always be - have one, try it, what's the worst that can happen.

Anyway, always up for a discussion...

Back
Top Bottom