2022/2023 Match Thread Wigan Athletic v. Sheffield United - 19th December 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WIG
WIG
WIG

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1671401367167.png vs. 1671401381892.png

Championship Week 24 - Monday 19th December 2022 - 20:00 - DW Stadium

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/wigan-athletic-vs-sheffield-united.627/

Officials:

Referee: Dean Whitestone
Assistant Referee: Mark Russell
Assistant Referee: Paul Hodskinson
Fourth Official: Oliver Langford

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2022-12-18 at 22.11.28.png

Should have been home and hosed half an hour ago. Yet again the dugout is invisible and sits back in default mode while we end up hanging on. Not remotely good enough. No leadership, late and incorrect subs. Berge should have gone not McAtee,. He'll be absolutely no use whatsoever at Blackpool in 2 and a bit days. Braindead. No other way of putting it.

Good win

My take, pompey style, immediate reaction here...

We could get a better keeper than wes, and sander has really yet to prove himself.

Should have been home and hosed half an hour ago. Yet again the dugout is invisible and sits back in default mode while we end up hanging on. Not remotely good enough. No leadership, late and incorrect subs. Berge should have gone not McAtee,. He'll be absolutely no use whatsoever at Blackpool in 2 and a bit days. Braindead. No other way of putting it.
1671487513390.png

Bloody scrappy 3 points when we were so capable of a comfortable multi goal lead.

Wes looking a bit shakey, Berge looking a bit slow and timid. In general the team looked sluggish but ground out 3 points admittedly their goal was offside but they had chances to get another one or two.

For now I'll put that down to international break and blowing off the cob webbs but they need to improve for next game. Ndiaye once again looking like he's enjoying himself, fancies running at them and they did struggle with him. Anel for me is quickly coming one of my favourite players I've seen in a Blades shirt, his work rate is brilliant and he saved those 2 points towards the end there with that beautiful bit of defending.

Take those points boys but realise you made such hard work of it when you could have had the game wrapped up in half an hour. Allowed them room to grow confidence.

Yes 6 points is extremely welcome, but do you think we'd have got that many against mid to upper league competition because I dont, because we have played the bottom 2 hopefully they're getting up to pace without our points tally suffering
Against top half of table we got 24 points from 12 games. Better record than bottom half.

I'm still a bit annoyed that we didn't have an enjoyable last 20 minutes!

I think we have played two very hard games in Huddersfield & Wigan. Let's not underestimate the amount of pressure playing the bottom two can have after after the international break. They will have been fighting tooth and nail

Still can't decide if it should have been a penalty for Wigan? Hit from close range and Baldock didn't have time to react?

Still can't decide if it should have been a penalty for Wigan? Hit from close range and Baldock didn't have time to react?
Just shown an angle on sky. He put his hand out to it intentionally. Before that I couldn't see what else he could do.

That's Swansea, Bristol,Cardiff and Wigan where we've been average to poor and come away with the points. We need a massive improvement in these type of games against better teams to get anything out of them, performances not consistent enough.

A disappointing second half but the argument about if we’d played decent opposition we’d have lost is totally irrelevant in my opinion because we may have played better against better opposition every game is completely independent of one another

Our worst performance tonight came from the manager.
Awful in game management.

McAtee, Ndiaye and Norwood come out with a lot of individual credit. Thought they looked a cut above at times.
Berge too, in the first half. He then really badly tired and should have been protected by his manager and brought off. We wonder why we get so many injuries? He was dead on his feet.

Thought Foderingham and Stevens had poor nights.
And Sharp looked a little off the pace, but then he popped up and does what he does best. Scores winning goals.

Happy with the three points but concerned with the conditioning of our squad and by PH's reactive management style.
At 2-0, with one of (if not) the best squad in the division, we had the chance to take control of the game with some fresh legs. Instead we waited, gassed out, conceded a goal and then had to battle it out.
As with Huddersfield (the other worst team in the league), we've made hard work out of what should be routine wins.
I hope it can continue, but I think we'll need to go up through the gears to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Not conclusive for me, but I was shocked to see Baldock try to get out of the way of the ball. The officials didn't get much right tonight.

I think we have played two very hard games in Huddersfield & Wigan. Let's not underestimate the amount of pressure playing the bottom two can have after after the international break. They will have been fighting tooth and nail

Huddersfield were possibly the most passive team I’ve ever seen at Bramall Lane. That wasnt a team fighting tooth and nail, it was one resigned to relegation.

Tonight may have been slightly different in terms of a new manager bounce but we really should have been out of sight. I thought it was quite concerning that they wanted to play like a bunch of cloggers and we got sucked into it as well.

Back
Top Bottom