Who made up the “£20m” transfer budget?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The mirror made it up. Then the Sheffield stir printed it( cos thats how they get their news). wendy believed it and they so wanted it to be true. Haha fucking laughable. We have proved them wrong, spending nearly double that, we are showing ambition and desire to stay up there and not ‘chancing’ it on a shoestring budget. Wilder will turn them into quality premier league players, always gets player playing better. Iam so fucking happy that we are going for it ! UTB

We were told that promotion to the Premier League was worth £150m ( a big chunk of which presumably comes from Sky). If this is true, then £40m is a reasonable investment, provided wages don't get totally out of hand.

I've never seen it explained how this money is paid. Does it come at the start of the season, in regular instalments over the season, or at the end? Does anyone know?

Quite a lot of people on here just assumed it would be I always thought it would be around 50
As that's half the money coming in with the rest going on wages and facilities

We were told that promotion to the Premier League was worth £150m ( a big chunk of which presumably comes from Sky). If this is true, then £40m is a reasonable investment, provided wages don't get totally out of hand.

I've never seen it explained how this money is paid. Does it come at the start of the season, in regular instalments over the season, or at the end? Does anyone know?
A Norwich fan quoted that last time they got fourty up front and fourty in January and the rest at seasons end

I think wages and length of contracts are big issues. I assume that we have maintained a sensible wage structure relative to our income with possibly clauses that they may reduce if we get relegated? Clubs that have got into difficulties before have suffered because they have players, often getting past their best, on long contracts and massive wages that no one wants to buy or even take on loan because of the wages if the club gets relegated.
All our signings are young (I exclude Jags who is short term and won't i would guess be on a massive wage anyway) and hopefully will just increase rather than decrease in value. I am not sure about the Mousse but based on CW's record I think he will come good.

They get the guys from The People’s Lottery to walk down Cherry Street singing Let ‘em in, until someone bludgeons them to death with an over sized cheque.

I think all transfers are paid in instalments anyway so not sure it matters too much whether we get it all at once. Hence why it’s not as simple as ‘weerz Brooks munneh gone?’

I've just realised something... Is it a coincidence that our most costly transfers have come last? I wonder whether he used the £20m tagline to barter with qpr and pne, and then subsequently as the budget was revealed further we were able to 'squeeze' further more costly transfers out of our budget...

any way it seems to have worked a treat whatever the case!

There were some unbelievable gullable and nieve people on here who took the 20m budget on here as gospel
and were slagging the owners off for not backing the manager. They look a set of cunts now

That's a tad harsh Pedro. Yes, there are pessimists amongst our ranks, but generally with good reason. To his credit McCabe did say that Wilder had been provided with a healthy budget, and it appears he's been as good as his word. For a first season budget I'm hopeful, no more as this is going to be a tough campaign. Attracting players was either going to be easy or we'd be faced with agents who question our sustainability at this level. Wilder's managed to get a good blend of younger types who are technically gifted, who have pace, and with our existing squad should give us a good chance of remaining a Prem team next season. By which time we'll be looking to repeat this window's achievements and look to buy our first £30million player..........but that's being a bit fanciful, first the season ahead of us.

Returning to my opening line, we may have pessimists, but to call them cunts seems inappropriate. Just my view fella, but it kind of explains what the forum's here for, for United supporters to express their, often, uninformed opinions. Wrong they may be, but what's the flip-side of that? Being a smug twat? Being able to use hindsight as a means of emphasising the virtue of being 'right'? As if any of that really mattered anyway.

Considering that I've grown up following United when they wouldn't spend a penny, we've had all the rumours in 70's it was Frannie Lee coming. Now though we are spending and looking like we really do intend to stay in PL this time, let's enjoy the players that are coming in. We are not buying for buying sake Wilder is very astute and, he knows what he wants and goes all out to get it I've seen it when we had to rely on supporters buying a player Glynn Hodges springs to mind but, what a buy he was.

The £20 million story also appeared in the daily mail😳. Need we say any more😳😳. Wilder has always been very quiet when it comes to money and it seems to be working well so far😀😀. UTB ⚔️⚔️⚔️
With all due respect, anyone who takes anything in the Mail at face value is more than a little naive.

That's a tad harsh Pedro. Yes, there are pessimists amongst our ranks, but generally with good reason. To his credit McCabe did say that Wilder had been provided with a healthy budget, and it appears he's been as good as his word. For a first season budget I'm hopeful, no more as this is going to be a tough campaign. Attracting players was either going to be easy or we'd be faced with agents who question our sustainability at this level. Wilder's managed to get a good blend of younger types who are technically gifted, who have pace, and with our existing squad should give us a good chance of remaining a Prem team next season. By which time we'll be looking to repeat this window's achievements and look to buy our first £30million player..........but that's being a bit fanciful, first the season ahead of us.

Returning to my opening line, we may have pessimists, but to call them cunts seems inappropriate. Just my view fella, but it kind of explains what the forum's here for, for United supporters to express their, often, uninformed opinions. Wrong they may be, but what's the flip-side of that? Being a smug twat? Being able to use hindsight as a means of emphasising the virtue of being 'right'? As if any of that really mattered anyway.
Maybe the choice of words is a little harsh but a number of posters pointed out why the £20m was unlikely and why in all probability we’ll spend more but some chose not to believe them. Some even chose to argue with them. Some, probably ‘innocently’ but others with a anti-board agenda used it as a stick to beat the owners with, whilst spreading fear and misinformation.

Maybe the choice of words is a little harsh but a number of posters pointed out why the £20m was unlikely and why in all probability we’ll spend more but some chose not to believe them. Some even chose to argue with them. Some, probably ‘innocently’ but others with a anti-board agenda used it as a stick to beat the owners with, whilst spreading fear and misinformation.

... and some then pretended they hadn't done any of that, by quoting their old posts ... to prove that, in fact, they had!

:shark:

I get all of that BB, never let it be said that the forum suffers from posters being restrained in their opinions.

I suppose I was getting at the casual, but sometimes unnecessary, use of words that if spoken face to face would result in physical violence. I'm not attempting to act like a censor, but rather than rattle something off as if it's the next Nobel prize, perhaps consider what the use of certain words can do in contributing to a less than considered and thoughtful platform. I enjoy coming here, I like to read what are usually decent thoughts and opinions. Yes, sometimes there are posters who seem to remove their 'grown-up' restraints and employ the tools of the school playground, but overall the mix of views and topics is worth the effort.

Hope that helps.

... and some then pretended they hadn't done any of that, by quoting their old posts ... to prove that, in fact, they had!

:shark:
It was more of a general comment than a dig at any specific poster. I gave my opinion on that particular thread and I’m not going to repeat it tediously.

Clubs that have got into difficulties before have suffered because they have players, often getting past their best, on long contracts and massive wages that no one wants to buy or even take on loan because of the wages if the club gets relegated.

There is already dedicated thread about the Swine herd.

I thought we'd spend about £70 million, so McBurnie and Maupay will get us close to that :p

I've just realised something... Is it a coincidence that our most costly transfers have come last? I wonder whether he used the £20m tagline to barter with qpr and pne, and then subsequently as the budget was revealed further we were able to 'squeeze' further more costly transfers out of our budget...

any way it seems to have worked a treat whatever the case!

I think Wilder's visit to the prince was key.

On that day the prince stated it was 51 days to the deadline, that was illuminating to say the least. There had been a discussion.

Wilder knows how to 'play' the owners. He did it at Northampton and he did it last summer.

Back
Top Bottom