What happened to Keith Edwards?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I wish you could bet online with ol’Keith playing. I’d be banned from every site.

Yes, it was the stand down the left hand side (from the away end). Seem to think it was the East Stand? Loads of Unitedites all around the ground that day and there was a lot of trouble in that ES. Both sets of fans were bang up for it, before, during and after. I still remember certain well known 'faces' being there. Blades fans thinking we had blown promotion and being taunted by the Bolton fans didn't help matters though. We didn't know it at the time, but King Keith sticking his head in amongst the flying boots (and getting stitches for his trouble) to score our late consolation was the goal that would go a long way to taking us up. Memorable day alright, but one that will thankfully not be repeated as those days have gone.
Got to know a few Bolton fans through work , good set of lads to be fair & the ones that were there remember the events of the day very well .
At the time Bolton were in a right mess financially and i think the crowd was put down as 9k . Speaking to them they thought the crowd was nearer 13k with there being around 7k from Sheff which I’d agree with as there were Blades all over the ground . They said it was one the biggest away followings they’d seen

Last edited:
Got to know a few Bolton fans through work , good set of lads to be fair & the ones that were there remember the events of the day very well .
At the time Bolton were in a right mess financially and i think the crowd was put down as 9k . Speaking to them they thought the crowd was nearer 13k with there being around 7k from Sheff which I’d agree with as there were Blades all over the ground . They said it was one the biggest away followings they’d seen
Wednesday never been to Burnden Park?

Only thing wrong wi Keith he was lazy ,could have been one the greats similar to jimmy greaves if he wanted it bad enough.

we had far bigger away followings in those days maybe its financial nowadays but we havent a big away following nowadays and its strange seing as weve 22k season ticket holders you would think we would sell out every away game🤔

Was there some fighting at the Bolton game in 1984?
Oh yes, we borrowed firms clapped out minibus to go on that bank holiday Monday, nutty Norman driving.
Got lost on the motorway getting there...🤣
Arrived 2:45, parked up, there were about 2500 blades fans still trying to get in.
We went in the stand, away end was to our left, then the Bolton fans all rushed from kop into that bottom corner near the away end.
Total bedlam, seats, glasses and anything else getting thrown.
Where we were sat there was an elderly Bolton lady fan we had sat next to, "this stands only meant for home fans".
Obv she was a bit frightened so we sat around her to protect her, and her couple of friends.
Even though we lost we had some good banter and good humoured fun together.

King Keith would have won us the game today. He would have buried the one on one that Brereton-Diaz fluffed in the second half and he'd also have put that one away in the first half which B-Diaz and Osula conspired to miss only to have their blushed saved by the offside flag.

Premier League strikers eh?

Was there some fighting at the Bolton game in 1984?
Before , during & after .. one of the bizarre things I remember was a Bolton lad from who’d got caught wrong side of the lines after one of the set to’s .. a couple of our characters relieved him of his Kappa tracky top & bottoms .. leaving him in his underkrackers & trainers . I bet he had an interesting bus journey home 😂

Never got married to her, she’s in Aus now and has been for a few years
At one point it seemed odds on that they'd tie the knot.

She played centre forward for Sheffield FC Ladies. At the time I helped out at their matches.

Memory is that the Ladies team were playing one evening with Keith watching. How serious things were getting being indicated by it being the same time as Warnock's Blades were having their promotion celebration through the city centre.

Last saw her on tv bring interviewed during the Euro Championship won by England Women.

Sir Keith!
Let's never forget his goal at Bolton away (lost 3-1) that got us promoted. Hull won at Burnley but couldn't overturn our goal difference. He got kicked in the head scoring it and was stretchered off.
Always a legend. Sir Keith.
I was on the open end , bang in line with that brave header.
Mad day that - the only time I've ever climbed into a football ground - along with loads of other Blades (turnstiles couldn't cope with the masses arriving late so it was over the wall or miss the start)

I was on the open end behind the goal with high mental fencing. I always thought he'd got kicked as he put his head in, didn't know it was the post that he nutted!

That game at Bolton made the trouble at the west brom v wolves game like a kids tea party. The atmosphere became very dark and was made worse as we were losing and looking like we'd blown promotion.

Easily one of the maddest away days I'd been to. Bolton were outnumbered but really up for it, and I mean really up for it! On that terracing to the right of the away end it was toe to toe nearly all game. I kept seeing several Bolton lads going down but just kept getting up and piling in again. Bolton also had a mob on the terracing to the left but they didn't know there was a load of blades above them in the seats. Part way through the game a mob of blades from the seats went over the the wall on mass dropping down into the terracing below. The Bolton lads ran onto the pitch to escape and then ran across the pitch to the home end behind the goal where it seemed to be the only stand where there wasn't any fighting, the other three were bedlam. I remember thinking that if that prison-style fence hadn't been in place around the away end, where most blades were, it would have been complete carnage as they would have been in the pitch and into the side stands to join in the fighting. I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been fatalities that day. Crazy days back then.

Yes, it was the stand down the left hand side (from the away end). Seem to think it was the East Stand? Loads of Unitedites all around the ground that day and there was a lot of trouble in that ES. Both sets of fans were bang up for it, before, during and after. I still remember certain well known 'faces' being there. Blades fans thinking we had blown promotion and being taunted by the Bolton fans didn't help matters though. We didn't know it at the time, but King Keith sticking his head in amongst the flying boots (and getting stitches for his trouble) to score our late consolation was the goal that would go a long way to taking us up. Memorable day alright, but one that will thankfully not be repeated as those days have gone.
A very similar scenario to Tranmere away in 82.

we had far bigger away followings in those days maybe its financial nowadays but we havent a big away following nowadays and its strange seing as weve 22k season ticket holders you would think we would sell out every away game🤔
No tickets back then, just rock up and in you went.

Remember 4th Division. Utd v Wigan. Night game. Us 1st them 2nd, I think. 90 minutes. Colin Morris down the wing, great cross, Edwards met it with head. Goal. Great game.Great Days

I was on the open end behind the goal with high mental fencing. I always thought he'd got kicked as he put his head in, didn't know it was the post that he nutted!

He did. He got kicked in the face by the Bolton defender as he stopped down to nod the ball in. Had a picture of it somewhere once. Can't recall him heading the post?

I started watching United in the fourth division. That Bolton game was my first away game. Talk about a baptism of fire. During the match a beer keg came bouncing down the steps next to where we were sat. No windows left in our car and a breezy drive back over the Snake.

Back
Top Bottom