What happened to Keith Edwards?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would be nice if the club helped out one of their own if he needs a hand. Genuinely a Blades legend (when the phrase is very much over used in football). He certainly made me a happy man back in the day with his goals scored for United. Plenty of times back in the 80s when (if I couldn't get to the game) we would be trailing by a goal late in the game and Bob Jackson (rip) on Radio Sheffield would play his 'magic' random military march at 4.45pm to try and get us an equaliser. Didn't work all the time of course, but there was plenty of times he would interrupt the march to say.... 'i'll just mention the name....Keith Edwards...'

💕 the man. Still.

Radio co comms get paid a pittance , John Mcgovern was doing Forest games for less than a 100 quid about 5 years ago.
Edwards will have been getting about £20 from radio Sheffield then
We don't want all these flash European Cup winners commenting on us, what do they know?

Still remember that game like yesterday to say we lost ⚔️

Was a bit mad that day at Bolton... 😏

Can't believe it was back in early May 84. Nearly 40 years. Those young game lads will all be drawing a pension now (those that are still with us anyway). One to live in the memory bank for good or bad reasons.

Shame as he was my absolute hero as a kid and lucky enough to have met him - he visited my under 12's Sunday league training one night and I also delivered his newspaper. He could be a gruff and moaning bugger but still a blades legend.

Was a bit mad that day at Bolton... 😏

Can't believe it was back in early May 84. Nearly 40 years. Those young game lads will all be drawing a pension now (those that are still with us anyway). One to live in the memory bank for good or bad reasons.
I remember been on a coach that emptied on Bolton high street and chaos ensuing. Seemed to be like that for the rest of the day. Didn't the police have to move the Bolton fans out of the home end into another stand as there were so many Blades in there?

I remember been on a coach that emptied on Bolton high street and chaos ensuing. Seemed to be like that for the rest of the day. Didn't the police have to move the Bolton fans out of the home end into another stand as there were so many Blades in there?

Yes, it was the stand down the left hand side (from the away end). Seem to think it was the East Stand? Loads of Unitedites all around the ground that day and there was a lot of trouble in that ES. Both sets of fans were bang up for it, before, during and after. I still remember certain well known 'faces' being there. Blades fans thinking we had blown promotion and being taunted by the Bolton fans didn't help matters though. We didn't know it at the time, but King Keith sticking his head in amongst the flying boots (and getting stitches for his trouble) to score our late consolation was the goal that would go a long way to taking us up. Memorable day alright, but one that will thankfully not be repeated as those days have gone.

A born natural goalscorer, a rare commodity these days. Would be worth £10-15m if he was playing now. Ok scored most of his goals in the lower leagues but he did score in the League Cup against then champions, Everton. Clinical in one-on-one situations.

Edwards had a great scoring record but he would say it's actually better than what it appears
because (unlike James Beattie and Sharp) Edwards didn't take any penalties and also he tended to take corners.

Imagine his scoring stats if he took penalties and was in the box for corners?

Anyhow it's tricky to compare yesteryear players to todays players because the game has changed.
Pure goalscorer have gone out of fashion, these days a forward player needs to have more strings to their bow.
They need to have a massive workrate and be able to close down defenders and tackle when out of possession (Edwards couldn't do this)

Edwards used to live for scoring, he would rarely pass to anybody and was what you'd call a bog liner.
He was permanently on the shoulder of the last defender, always making runs into space.
He used to get caught offside so much in matches, in some games over and over again.

When he beat the offside trap, he'd end up clean through with just the goalie to beat
and that was one of his party tricks because in that position you always knew he was going to score.
He'd run towards the keeper, dummy to shoot, the keeper falls to the floor and Edwards takes it around the goalie passing the ball into an empty net.
Edwards also always had this great knack of hitting the target virtually every time, at least forcing the keeper to make a save.

However Edwards was massively reliant on service.....he forged a great understanding with Colin Morris
Mo used to know. that...knock into space behind the defender and Edwards would gamble and make the run.

However KE was one of them players who could be playing crap......if he didn't get any service he did nothing (a total passenger).
and I remember away games when the whole team was really poor with Edward hardly touching the ball.
Some of our fans around me would be complaining calling for Edwards to be subbed off
Then late in the game...there'd be a scramble in the box.
Edwards right place....right time...would score from close range.
He was that type of player.......just lived for scoring goals.
Billy Sharpe is probably the nearest style of striker I've seen us have since.

However let's not forget that Edwards (like Sharp) scored most of their goals in the lower devisions and 2nd tier. So, striker wise, neither can realistically compare to Brian Deane, who was bigger, stronger, faster and a stand out player, even at Premier League player.

Last edited:
Edwards was a centre forward of his time. And a very prolific one at scoring goals too. Wouldn't cut it in today's game as demands have changed, but he was exactly what we needed back in the 70s and 80s. Goal machine and he often made us all happy bunnies by scoring a vital goal (Wigan at home in a vital promotion match and about 7 minutes into injury time at the kop).

Yes, it was the stand down the left hand side (from the away end). Seem to think it was the East Stand? Loads of Unitedites all around the ground that day and there was a lot of trouble in that ES. Both sets of fans were bang up for it, before, during and after. I still remember certain well known 'faces' being there. Blades fans thinking we had blown promotion and being taunted by the Bolton fans didn't help matters though. We didn't know it at the time, but King Keith sticking his head in amongst the flying boots (and getting stitches for his trouble) to score our late consolation was the goal that would go a long way to taking us up. Memorable day alright, but one that will thankfully not be repeated as those days have gone.

Edwards had a great scoring record but he would say it's actually better than what it appears
because (unlike James Beattie and Sharp) Edwards didn't take any penalties and also he tended to take corners.

Imagine his scoring stats if he took penalties and was in the box for corners?

Anyhow it's tricky to compare yesteryear players to todays players because the game has changed.
Pure goalscorer have gone out of fashion, these days a forward player needs to have more strings to their bow.
They need to have a massive workrate and be able to close down defenders and tackle when out of possession (Edwards couldn't do this)

Edwards used to live for scoring, he would rarely pass to anybody and was what you'd call a bog liner.
He was permanently on the shoulder of the last defender, always making runs into space.
He used to get caught offside so much in matches, in some games over and over again.

When he beat the offside trap, he'd end up clean through with just the goalie to beat
and that was one of his party tricks because in that position you always knew he was going to score.
He'd run towards the keeper, dummy to shoot, the keeper falls to the floor and Edwards takes it around the goalie passing the ball into an empty net.
Edwards also always had this great knack of hitting the target virtually every time, at least forcing the keeper to make a save.

However Edwards was massively reliant on service.....he forged a great understanding with Colin Morris
Mo used to know. that...knock into space behind the defender and Edwards would gamble and make the run.

However KE was one of them players who could be playing crap......if he didn't get any service he did nothing (a total passenger).
and I remember away games when the whole team was really poor with Edward hardly touching the ball.
Some of our fans around me would be complaining calling for Edwards to be subbed off
Then late in the game...there'd be a scramble in the box.
Edwards right place....right time...would score from close range.
He was that type of player.......just lived for scoring goals.
Billy Sharpe is probably the nearest style of striker I've seen us have since.

However let's not forget that Edwards (like Sharp) scored most of their goals in the lower devisions and 2nd tier. So, striker wise, neither can realistically compare to Brian Deane, who was bigger, stronger, faster and a stand out player, even at Premier League player.
Don’t disagree with most of that but I think he’d still be effective if he was playing in this era. The ability to find space and the timing are always going to be effective. You can’t compare Keith or Billy to Brian Deane because they are completely different kinds of players.

Had quite a long chat with King Keith in Graves Park this afternoon whilst we were both walking our dogs. Keith was due to have a second hip operation a few months ago but had a heart attack and has had a double by-pass operation. He's fine now, but obviously lucky it was caught in time. He's still waiting to have the hip operation.

As previously reported, he's not lorry driving anymore and it was his decision to give up the commentary, which he loved but wasn't worth the hassle for the money it paid. He's now working at Claremont 3 days a week and says he really likes it. Lives at Owlthorpe these days and although is still a member at Lees Hall Golf Club, he's had to pack in playing.

Good to see him fit and healthy.

I get the impression he's not got a lot of cash and I think he could make a few bob maybe doing a few after dinner spots. It would be nice if the club did something as he never got a testimonial presumably because he wasn't on our books for 10 years.
Yet modern day players who can’t hold a candle to him will never have to struggle for money

Coming home from Gillingham sometime in the last century and we had the local sports report on.
They were talking to the Gillingham centre half.
He said I thought I was doing ok against Edwards in all fairness I think he only touched the ball four times. Granted every time he touched it he scored ....
Gillingham 0 - 4 Edwards 😂

Edwards was a centre forward of his time. And a very prolific one at scoring goals too. Wouldn't cut it in today's game as demands have changed, but he was exactly what we needed back in the 70s and 80s. Goal machine and he often made us all happy bunnies by scoring a vital goal (Wigan at home in a vital promotion match and about 7 minutes into injury time at the kop).
He would have been in demand today lightening quick gòod finisher whats changed ? These kind of players will always be in demand!!

Back
Top Bottom