Match Thread West Ham United v. Sheffield United - 15th February 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WHU
WHU
WHU

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1613301077006.png v. 1613301086300.png
EPL Week 24 - Monday 15th February 2021 -

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-west-bromwich-albion.530/

Officials:

Referee:
Simon Hooper
Assistant Referee: Derek Eaton
Assistant Referee: Timothy Wood
Fourth Official: Graham Scott
Video Assistant Referee: Michael Oliver
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Simon Bennett

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺
Live TV Coverage
:

Screenshot 2021-02-14 at 11.12.38.png

It’s a bit of everything.

Injuries haven’t helped. Partly it’s down to our recruitment which just hasn’t been good enough to stay up, that’s clear. We can talk about who else we could have signed and budgets and all that shite but the bottom line is, our signings haven’t been good enough for this season. Even wilder deep down must know that because we’re still playing largely the same side that came up from the championship.

On the other side of that, the management team cannot legislate for some of the fucking stupid things some of our players do on the pitch. Tonight was a perfect example, all three goals were avoidable from start to finish. It happens time after time.

Genuinely cannot believe we were still in with a shout of staying up for this long.
Yeah, the bit that gets me is CW coming on saying the same thing every post match interview. So whose fault is that. I'd say CWAK. If a manager of a team made the same mistakes over and over again they wouldn't last long.

aside from the obvious. lack of goalscoring ability. we had 5 shots on target tonight. last night Fulham had 3 shots on target scored 2.

is this team mentally weak. as we were quite good in the 1st half but we make 1 mistake & crumbled. poorest since Palace 2nd half

We need to put that defeat into clear context..West Ham were awful and won at a canter without having to get out of 2nd gear.

There are no positives in that performance. Any possession in the middle, allowed by West Ham’s inability to press, never really transitioned into any quality play in final third. The midfield is truly awful. Feel for Egan but he doesn’t marshal that back line with any real control or menace.

Even Didsy, so desperate to make something happen, ended up slowing down the attack and Billy feeding off nothing. We’ve even managed to dampen Bogle’s spark!

Trying to find something, anything to be positive about. We are a shadow of that famous 2019 team and it makes this lockdown even more unbearable!

We need to put that defeat into clear context..West Ham were awful and won at a canter without having to get out of 2nd gear.

There are no positives in that performance. Any possession in the middle, allowed by West Ham’s inability to press, never really transitioned into any quality play in final third. The midfield is truly awful. Feel for Egan but he doesn’t marshal that back line with any real control or menace.

Even Didsy, so desperate to make something happen, ended up slowing down the attack and Billy feeding off nothing. We’ve even managed to dampen Bogle’s spark!

Trying to find something, anything to be positive about. We are a shadow of that famous 2019 team and it makes this lockdown even more unbearable!

Bang on.

Wonder if Wilder will have a pop at all those who think the system should change? Doing the same thing time after time!! If the system is good enough but the players aren't change the fucking system so that the players we have are more effective. For me this was the worst disappointment of the season so far, getting done 3-0 by a bang average boring 1 dimensional team

But then who would you play in the middle of the 3 instead of Norwood. Playing Bogle out of position in RCM doesn’t solve the Norwood problem
Well. My Nan would possibly be an upgrade. Anyone got a Quija board? I’ll ask her if she’s free

I turned it off after the 2nd goal just could not watch it anymore. I have been a bit of an optimist and still had hope but this is the match for me which has finally nailed the relegation to the Championship and before anyone comments this is just my opinion and how I feel. I might just watch the FA cup matches now and forget the PL and just watch the highlights. First time I wish they were not on TV.

Yeah, the bit that gets me is CW coming on saying the same thing every post match interview. So whose fault is that. I'd say CWAK. If a manager of a team made the same mistakes over and over again they wouldn't last long.
The mistakes that were made way back in the summer were compounded by injuries to JOC and Berge so early into the season.

I’m not sure any of us could have envisaged us being such a lost cause by January to the point were it’s suggested there was no point trying to improve the squad.

I think this season has been a huge learning curve for Wilder. Frustratingly, there’s been sparks in most games where we look like we’re holding our own only for us to go and shoot ourselves in the cock time and time again.

CWAK has to take some of the blame, so does the Prince and so do the players. It’s just been a bad bad season all round. There’s no doubt we over achieved last season and I can’t help thinking that we’ve underprepared for this season because of that.

Well. My Nan would possibly be an upgrade. Anyone got a Quija board? I’ll ask her if she’s free

Great reply, about the level I was expecting really.

It’s a serious discussion. You’re suggesting that Wilder stop playing Norwood but aren’t offering a solution for how. As I’ve said, I think Ampadu would be the best option and I also think that Wilder’s intention was for Ampadu to play there but unfortunately he’s now needed elsewhere.

You also suggested that Wilder is ‘blind’ to Norwood’s weaknesses, which ignores the fact that he’s been dropped plenty of times this season and it hasn’t really worked out any better for us.

The better solution would have been to deal with the problem in the transfer windows, as you suggest, but that’s gone now. Wilder is dealing with the situation as it is now.

Huge overreactions on here. A lot of huff and puff tonight and no question the effort was there again, just that lack of quality again with some individual errors. Tonight summed up our season so far and the sooner it's over the better. If we keep the majority of the squad (+ Wilder) we'll be on a promotion challenge next season.

Great reply, about the level I was expecting really.

It’s a serious discussion. You’re suggesting that Wilder stop playing Norwood but aren’t offering a solution for how. As I’ve said, I think Ampadu would be the best option and I also think that Wilder’s intention was for Ampadu to play there but unfortunately he’s now needed elsewhere.

You also suggested that Wilder is ‘blind’ to Norwood’s weaknesses, which ignores the fact that he’s been dropped plenty of times this season and it hasn’t really worked out any better for us.

The better solution would have been to deal with the problem in the transfer windows, as you suggest, but that’s gone now. Wilder is dealing with the situation as it is now.
Well, mainly because you’ll likely throw stones from a distance and round the merry go round we’ll go. Norwood is making elephant sized, game changing turds of mistakes. Lots of the them, so my view is we have to manoeuvre him out and accept it may make us weaker somewhere else. Or we could try changing formation (gasp!)

Well, mainly because you’ll likely throw stones from a distance and round the merry go round we’ll go. Norwood is making elephant sized, game changing turds of mistakes. Lots of the them, so my view is we have to manoeuvre him out and accept it may make us weaker somewhere else. Or we could try changing formation (gasp!)

I thought it was a simple question but seemingly not.

I really don’t think we played bad at all tonight. And in Chris we definitely trust. But defend them as you might the signings of Moose, McBurnie and Brewster I believe were a huge waste of money. Starting with Billy just completely justifies the comment.

Allllright, calm down Chris. Ok, I would move Didsy or Basham into centre midfield - happy now? Christ.

I think you’re overreacting slightly to what was a well intentioned question. I forgot that this was a forum where we weren’t allowed to ask questions or disagree with anyone.

We tried to Didsy move against Bristol City and it didn’t really work, the Basham one might be interesting but that position really needs a ball player to work effectively (didn’t he play there earlier in the season? Can’t remember the game)

Apologies for upsetting you, I’ll let it go

I think you’re overreacting slightly to what was a well intentioned question. I forgot that this was a forum where we weren’t allowed to ask questions or disagree with anyone.

We tried to Didsy move against Bristol City and it didn’t really work, the Basham one might be interesting but that position really needs a ball player to work effectively (didn’t he play there earlier in the season? Can’t remember the game)

Apologies for upsetting you, I’ll let it go
No upset, it was written in a jokey tone. Although I appreciate it didn’t possibly come across that way 🤣

Noble and Jags both played​

Sheffield United v West Ham United, 14 April 2007​

Score3-0 to Sheffield United
RefereeSteve Bennett
CompetitionPremier League
VenueBramall Lane
Attendance31,593

3 Sheffield United

0 West Ham United

Goals:​

Michael Tonge 39
G
Phil Jagielka 68
G
Jon Stead 78
G

Goals:​

Starting lineup:​

Goalkeeper Paddy Kenny

Defender/Centre back Claude Davis

Defender/Centre back Derek Geary

Defender/Midfielder Phil Jagielka

Defender/Left back Chris Armstrong

Midfielder Keith Gillespie

Midfielder Nick Montgomery

Midfielder Michael Tonge

Forward Colin Kazim-Richards

Forward Christian Nade

Forward Jon Stead

Starting lineup:​

Goalkeeper Rob Green

Defender/Centre back James M Collins

Defender/Centre back Anton Ferdinand

Defender/Midfielder Lucas Neill

Defender/Left back George McCartney

Midfielder Lee Bowyer

Midfielder Matthew Etherington

Midfielder Mark Noble

Midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker

Forward Carlos Tevez

Forward Bobby Zamora

Substitutions:​

Chris Morgan for Claude Davis 56
Alan Quinn for Christian Nade 61
Danny Webber for Colin Kazim-Richards 83

Substitutions:​

Luis Boa Morte for Matthew Etherington 65
Hayden Mullins for Lee Bowyer 65
Kepa Blanco for Mark Noble 73

Cards:​

Colin Kazim-Richards7Y
Phil Jagielka51Y

Cards:​

Lee Bowyer21Y
Anton Ferdinand37Y
Carlos Tevez90Y

On the bench:​

Defender/Centre back Chris Morgan

Midfielder Alan Quinn

Forward Danny Webber

On the bench:​

Defender/Midfielder Hayden Mullins

Midfielder/Forward Luis Boa Morte

Forward Kepa Blanco

0 comments

Actually, Henderson wasn’t that bad of a loan signing and Ampadu
Actually, I suppose technically, as Henderson was in the Championsip side, it would be unfair to include him as a recruit over the past 4 windows.
The good recruits are dwindling.

Wilder going crackers! CW changed everything, think they don’t know what they are doing? Midfield looks strange? Bash not in the game? Fleck Lunny not in the game? Billy’s running around like he’s lost!

Back
Top Bottom