Well, Looks Like It's Happening...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

think thats the problem robbo hes worked miracles in league 1 and the championship on limited funds but when hes had the money i.e the last 2 years hes failed badly with transfers definete similarity to neil warnocks reign here i hope he stays but i dont think the vibes are looking good if he gets told hes got to lose 3-4 players this summer i think this era for the club will be over and he will be gone
And we keep going round in circles. It’s lazy to say “he’s no good with money”. Name me a manager who signs a player that is a success every time? There isn’t one single manager. The problem we have is if a player doesn’t hit the ground running we can’t just go and spend another 30/40m.
I presume you have seen some of the players we were in for, would the likes of Maupay, Cash, Watkins, Eze, be seen as being bad with money? We cannot afford the wages of even the very best championship players it’s always one step down. That isn’t a dig at the owners it’s fact, this makes the signings we do make even more risky. Some of our fans still think we are playing in 1996, 100m in the premier league to build a squad virtually from scratch to try and compete is chicken feed.

Reactions: cc1

I just think they need a proper holiday and break from football. Last year it was almost impossible to go away and when you think they usually get 2 months break. We had lock down and then football behind closed doors delaying the season. No proper pre season and no proper break has taken its toll.

Think we all need it. Euro 2020(1) if it goes ahead will be the least watched major tournament ever. Just sick of football.

Hopefully he manages to go somewhere and recharge, even if it's just Cornwall.

If he's going to piss off as soon as we sell one player then he may as well go now, it's unrealistic to think we won't lose at least one player he wants to keep.
Dont worry, if we sell anyone once we're relegated we can always re-sign them when we get promoted again at 18X the price we sold them for (I heard thats a good Wilder strategy...) Hi Aaron!

If you're going to reply to my posts try to fecking read them before you do.

I said " I've never thought he should do anything but take charge for next season - if he wants to"

I don't "clearly want" the opposite, I said I wouldn't care anymore if he decided to leave.

So I won't be replying again until you give the impression you can comprehend what others say, not what you imagine they say.

Fella :rolleyes:

Ahhh good old clappers eh.

Take something reasonable that's said and twist it into something else, cause an argument, slag off the "pig" who's provoked such anti blade propaganda, get his mates to join in to twist the subject even further and try to provoke a ban.

Pathetic small minded brains supporting a pathetic small minded club in a pathetic small minded city.

And they have the cheek to call it North Korea Talk

He's put together an extremely unbalanced squad using the most investment the club has ever seen (by a huge margin). And his response is this? Not quite the same as the Championship stuff really
I’m interested as to why the squad is extremely unbalanced?

Surely we’ve targeted the right areas, but the quality of the signings hasn’t paid off?

I appreciate that might look like a resultant unbalanced squad, but it wasn’t “put together” that way. It’s transfer failure, surely?

Surely we’ve targeted the right areas, but the quality of the signings hasn’t paid off?

I appreciate that might look like a resultant unbalanced squad, but it wasn’t “put together” that way. It’s transfer failure, surely?
We play 3 midfielders and 2 strikers. But we have more strikers than midfielders

We play 3 midfielders and 2 strikers. But we have more strikers than midfielders
I’d say that’s because 2 of our strikers are in their mid 30’s, so can’t be regulars. We also added there, because we were clearly deficient in that department.

In midfield it was different, where we’d already added a record signing to a “seemingly” more than competent department. And several of our utility players (EG Basham, Osborn) are capable in midfield.

I can see why we signed in the positions we have. So extremely “unbalanced” seems unfair.

it’s quality of signings / loss of form that’s fucked us, for me.

I've always been of the view that having a 'Director of Football' is a tinpot club's idea of what progress looks like.
I'm sure it works in some clubs.

The concept I can't reconcile with is someone else bringing in your staff for you and then you being 100% accountable for any failure they may bring if they end up to be lacking in certain areas.

When it comes off, then great. When it doesn't, who carries the can?

We have nearly as many players that can play LWB than options for every one of the three midfield positions:-

LWB (Four possibly six)

Stevens
Lowe
Bryan
Osborn
Robinson ( can also play there and indeed whilst at Forest it was his preferred position)
RND, (on loan but was still available for recall)

Midfield (five)

Osborn
Berge
Lundstram
Fleck
Norwood

Not wanting to be critical but it is easy to be, when we never addressed the number of midfield players and a replacement for JOC.
Money was available as we signed Brewster who has hardly played, his £20m > could have been used for a LCB and right sided attacking midfield player, both areas which have been devoid of any quality.

Dont worry, if we sell anyone once we're relegated we can always re-sign them when we get promoted again at 18X the price we sold them for (I heard thats a good Wilder strategy...) Hi Aaron!
Except that's not true.........18X my arse

That awkward moment when Burnley's net transfer costs for the last 6 seasons are less than what we paid for Brewster, McBurnie and Berge.
And how many clubs have done what Burnley have achieved........a truly magnificent feat. Stop being OTT about things

And how many clubs have done what Burnley have achieved........a truly magnificent feat. Stop being OTT about things
You would know better than me Mr Bettis sir. But all i can go with is the fees reported in the media and transfer sites.

If you would like to oblige us with the real fee it would be much appreciated however.

CW is under contract until 2024 on a lucrative contract agreed at the pinnacle of his success so far. Why would he want to leave ?
His main gripe is not having anywhere near like the comparable investment to other managers who are being lauded elsewhere eg Parker, Dean Smith.
The loan signings would not necessarily have saved the season or would have realistically wanted to play for a struggling side.
The local media have overplayed his comments and are just after hits in their webpages.
He’s not going anywhere.

You would know better than me Mr Bettis sir. But all i can go with is the fees reported in the media and transfer sites.

If you would like to oblige us with the real fee it would be much appreciated however.
WTF are you on about being Smug twat

We have nearly as many players that can play LWB than options for every one of the three midfield positions:-

LWB (Four possibly six)

Stevens
Lowe
Bryan
Osborn
Robinson ( can also play there and indeed whilst at Forest it was his preferred position)
RND, (on loan but was still available for recall)

Midfield (five)

Osborn
Berge
Lundstram
Fleck
Norwood

Not wanting to be critical but it is easy to be, when we never addressed the number of midfield players and a replacement for JOC.
Money was available as we signed Brewster who has hardly played, his £20m > could have been used for a LCB and right sided attacking midfield player, both areas which have been devoid of any quality.
Off the top of my head, Basham can play in midfield too, as can McGoldrick.

If we hadn’t have bought another striker, there would have been uproar. JOC was injured after that.

Also, replacing a left footed marauding left sided centre half of any quality would have cost a fortune. It’s almost impossible - hence why I’d consider alternatives to our formation - another fairer criticism IMO.

If we hadn’t have bought another striker, there would have been uproar. JOC was injured after that.

Also, replacing a left footed marauding left sided centre half of any quality would have cost a fortune. It’s almost impossible - hence why I’d consider alternatives to our formation - another fairer criticism IMO.
Ok you win, you are after all a font of all knowledge, but stick to your original point. It is not about jousting to win an argument but justifying your original point that we have a balanced squad.

err we don’t.

Last edited:
It’s like the end of the first Championship season repeating itself. He hasn’t achieved what he wanted to and so is deflecting attention by apportioning blame elsewhere.

I’m not saying there isn’t any to be shared around but at the end of the day we’ve spent a fortune in transfer fees over two seasons and we’re sat on 11 points from 26 played. People can say what they like that’s an appalling return from the players and management team. The team minus our summer spend finished 9th last season. To be at least in the fight to stay up is not an unreasonable expectation, no matter what the circumstances are behind the scenes.

He’s putting forward a lot of mitigation at the moment but is doing it in the wrong way for me, it’s not a good look. I like Chris but I would respect him more if he just said “we have a lot more work to do as a club and I’ve made mistakes as well, we all need to improve and we will.” - something like that would sit better with me and I would have a lot more confidence in him than I currently have.

My gut tells me that the last few years was pure momentum and that his time as manager has run its course. His latest comments won’t help.

Ok you win, you are after all a font of all knowledge, but stick to your original point. It is not about jousting to win an argument but justifying your original point that we have a balanced squad.

err we don’t.
I wasn’t trying to win anything, just discussing. I don’t think the squad is perfectly balanced.

I simply asked a question (to someone else) about us being “extremely unbalanced”, which I disagree with (with a full squad).

For me, it misses the point about where our problems really lie - which is about quality / transfer failings. But that’s just an opinion, and I’m happily discussing it. :)

Errrr - If you’re having to play Basham and McGoldrick in midfield, it’s kinda a giveaway how short we are, therefore an imbalanced squad - no?

As a team that is so dependant on its midfield you should be aiming to have a quality second string incase of injuries. We don’t even have 6 midfielders.

Also, we have absolutely no game changers. No creativity. No attack minded option

I'm sure it works in some clubs.

The concept I can't reconcile with is someone else bringing in your staff for you and then you being 100% accountable for any failure they may bring if they end up to be lacking in certain areas.

When it comes off, then great. When it doesn't, who carries the can?

As I also support another club in another country where everyone has that very model I can tell you that, just like on here, fans aren't fools.

Usually the DoF type who brings in players at least does it with the approval of the coach, who may have much greater input. However, fans are capable of making the distinction between poor acquisitions and whether the coach/manager is doing a good job with them. So is the owner, usually. In bad seasons both get the bullet.

I think I read that in the EFL this season there have now been 36 managerial changes. All of those new managers took over an entire squad assembled by somebody else.

Also, we have absolutely no game changers. No creativity. No attack minded option
We had a midfield that was threatening to challenge for Europe in the premier league. We then added a record signing - Sander Berge.

Now I’d argue Berge is a failed signing, because we got worse when he was introduced.

So, for me, it’s about a poor return on transfers.

I do agree in so much as if we started from scratch, we’d shift the deck a bit.

Apart from in league one and spending decent money on Egan at the time, has wilder got any other long term success stories of successfully spending decent money and them turning out to be value for money?

This isn’t a dig at him, I just can’t think of any other than the league one lads and Egan. Most of our better signings have either been on the cheap or free

And we keep going round in circles. It’s lazy to say “he’s no good with money”. Name me a manager who signs a player that is a success every time? There isn’t one single manager. The problem we have is if a player doesn’t hit the ground running we can’t just go and spend another 30/40m.
I presume you have seen some of the players we were in for, would the likes of Maupay, Cash, Watkins, Eze, be seen as being bad with money? We cannot afford the wages of even the very best championship players it’s always one step down. That isn’t a dig at the owners it’s fact, this makes the signings we do make even more risky. Some of our fans still think we are playing in 1996, 100m in the premier league to build a squad virtually from scratch to try and compete is chicken feed.
why is it lazy our 3 big money signings berge mcburnie and brewster havent exactly set us alight have they my point was that chris is more succesful with signings when hes limited with funds yes hes allegedly been in for the players you name but we dont know for certain do we but the plain truth is that the club cant compete at premier league level at this present time and by the way although i expect some sales i still fancy us to be in top 6 next season

Back
Top Bottom