Weaker?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I’m not writing them off, happy to concede that I dont know loads about them. I’m certainly not judging before I’ve watched more than a 5min YT video. I’d love all the signings to be brilliant

I’m just saying slimane doesn’t get into last years side (given he plays berges position seeming lot) with what we know And the view from was pretty mixed as he seems to have had a poor last 12 months. With Doyle and mcatee with the level/ hype around them there were reasonable EXPECTATIONS and not HOPE that they’d improve the 11.

Understand there’s along way to go but I’m saying it would be nice if we were aiming for Better prospects now we’re in the PL. none of those linked have the profile of an Anel even who we signed in the league below.

Who knows - I’m sure we’ve irons in the fire. I just want a player who we’d have no chance of signing if we were still in the championship.

All that’s happened so for is almost certainly of our best players from last year are our the door - we need to counteract that if we want to avoid a repeat of the relegation season where we went months without winning

I expect the prospects will come on loans mate, we don't have the money to go and sign them outright. We are who we are and at the minute the budget is perhaps inadequate for top flight football......

But they wrote us off late time and once .ore we have to play on passion and celebrate every single point gained.

But the loan market is defintely going to be key in terms of prospects and experience. All of the money signings will be with the view to development and or profit id imagine.

Berge going, nadiye going and no one to replace them won't happen. I'm pessimistic but come on
As I say I'm usually an optimist and certainly not a bedwetter. I thought we'd go up before the start of last season. I expect Berge to stay but take McAtee Doyle out of last season's midfield and you've no midfield. The season is around the corner. I'm just saying there are reasons for concern. Especially if Ndiaye leaves. That's a massive hole.

I expect the prospects will come on loans mate, we don't have the money to go and sign them outright. We are who we are and at the minute the budget is perhaps inadequate for top flight football......

But they wrote us off late time and once .ore we have to play on passion and celebrate every single point gained.

But the loan market is defintely going to be key in terms of prospects and experience. All of the money signings will be with the view to development and or profit id imagine.

By all accounts this left back is going to be a loan also but one you’d have thought we could afford even with the low budget we have

Perhaps that’s why I’m feeling abit more pessimistic than usual - just doesn’t fit the profile of ‘wow - we’d never be able to sign this guy permanently’

Hopefully in another 3 / 4 weeks. A couple of players like The city lads / diallo / or Chelsea lad come in and we can start feeling abit more optimism about the calibre of players on the side

By all accounts this left back is going to be a loan also but one you’d have thought we could afford even with the low budget we have

Perhaps that’s why I’m feeling abit more pessimistic than usual - just doesn’t fit the profile of ‘wow - we’d never be able to sign this guy permanently’

Hopefully in another 3 / 4 weeks. A couple of players like The city lads / diallo / or Chelsea lad come in and we can start feeling abit more optimism about the calibre of players on the side
We would all love the big names without a doubt bud, but at the same time.... we are seeing that moneybags isn't necessarily the way forward either (forest).

We're head and shoulders behind the majority of PL teams in pretty much every way... Finances, infastructure, stature......but we are a stepping stone for the ambitious.

PL or not, it's all still very much roy of the rovers stuff. We graft our balls off and we grab anything we can....if we grab a few useful tools along the way....happy days.

Long way to go before we play obviously but I really hope we’ve some more established commodities in our sights.

We are going to lose 3 players without whom we wouldn’t have gone up in Mcatee, Doyle and Ndaiye.

It would be good if we had some more of that Ilk lined up - we obviously beat off lots of competition for mcatee last year and Doyle had a season playing at championship level and doing well. So rightly there were some expectations when they arrived

I’m not complaining about signing unproved players because they represent value for money but to go up and end up weaker despite the revenue boost is pretty sad. But it’s not like there were seemingly lots of clubs trying to get slimane or traore and only Preston apparently in for this left back.

If Ndaiye is to go it would be nice to have a signing or too (even if only on loan) to excite us and actually upgrade the side we had last season. Let’s try and get someone who might go on to represent England or play regular champions league football in future…. We’ve proven we can develop players before now.

Overall, it Does feel like hecky is fighting with 1 and a half hands tied behind his back at the moment. We’d all do well to remember that and cut him some slack if we’re cut adrift at the bottom of the league next season
I would stick with Hecky regardless of how this season goes, without a doubt. We don't have the resources to even compete. That isn't a reflection on his vision for the club, or what could be achieved with an eventual takeover.

One thing is for certain, we shouldn't be feeling this deflated having just achieved what so many clubs can only dream of. What a ridiculous position to be in.

I would stick with Hecky regardless of how this season goes, without a doubt. We don't have the resources to even compete. That isn't a reflection on his vision for the club, or what could be achieved with an eventual takeover.

One thing is for certain, we shouldn't be feeling this deflated having just achieved what so many clubs can only dream of. What a ridiculous position to be in.
Agree on Hecky. The deflation comes at winning a place in the PL only to lose the best player I've seen in a Blades shirt. Maybe he won't leave and we'll make some brilliant signings but realistically the opposite seems more likely right now. A lot hinged on a takeover. But the season is nearly upon us.

Totally agree with all of this, except that I would suggest that the club does have the resources to be more competitive but we’ve decided not to spend them.

The idea that the club is “skint” and has no choice but to scavenge for loans and freebies doesn’t hold water in my eyes when you consider that our income for this season will be £100m+ up on last year and then look at our squad.

Our approach makes total sense if you’re the owner and want a plan b for taking your money out if you can’t find someone to buy us, but it’s going to make for a shit time as a fan.

Totally agree with all of this, except that I would suggest that the club does have the resources to be more competitive but we’ve decided not to spend them.

The idea that the club is “skint” and has no choice but to scavenge for loans and freebies doesn’t hold water in my eyes when you consider that our income for this season will be £100m+ up on last year and then look at our squad.

Our approach makes total sense if you’re the owner and want a plan b for taking your money out if you can’t find someone to buy us, but it’s going to make for a shit time as a fan.

I agree we could theoretically spend more than what our budget is said to be.

I disagree that it's so that Prince can start taking funds out of the club if can't find a buyer tho.

More likely planning for the case of relegation where we won't be making any profit for however long we stay in the championship.

I'm usually an optimist but if we start the season without Ndiaye, McAtee and Doyle which is beginning to look likely we'll be a lot weaker than last season. Slimani, Traoe are not the finished product, more prospects, they may be good, they may be flops. O'Brien didn't cut it at Forest. The midfield is the cause for most concern as I believe that was the area that cost us in the relegation season more than defence, attack. If the midfield is weak you're f*cked. Hopefully we'll get a couple more m/f in. It's gone quiet on the Doyle front. I saw a comment on Twitter that we're no longer pursuing Doyle. Hope that's wrong. But it feels like Heckys hands are tied right now.
Doyle will be out of our reach wether that be transfer fee or wages.
Think your right the midfield is a big cause for concern, currently it’s weak as piss, we need a shithouse in there.

I'm usually an optimist but if we start the season without Ndiaye, McAtee and Doyle which is beginning to look likely we'll be a lot weaker than last season. Slimani, Traoe are not the finished product, more prospects, they may be good, they may be flops. O'Brien didn't cut it at Forest. The midfield is the cause for most concern as I believe that was the area that cost us in the relegation season more than defence, attack. If the midfield is weak you're f*cked. Hopefully we'll get a couple more m/f in. It's gone quiet on the Doyle front. I saw a comment on Twitter that we're no longer pursuing Doyle. Hope that's wrong. But it feels like Heckys hands are tied right now.
Macatee is no where near the finished product, Doyle has not played in the prem before so what's to say Doyle & Macatee wouldn't flop in the first season of prem football even Ndaiye what's to say he wouldn't.

Long way to go before we play obviously but I really hope we’ve some more established commodities in our sights.

We are going to lose 3 players without whom we wouldn’t have gone up in Mcatee, Doyle and Ndaiye.

It would be good if we had some more of that Ilk lined up - we obviously beat off lots of competition for mcatee last year and Doyle had a season playing at championship level and doing well. So rightly there were some expectations when they arrived

I’m not complaining about signing unproved players because they represent value for money but to go up and end up weaker despite the revenue boost is pretty sad. But it’s not like there were seemingly lots of clubs trying to get slimane or traore and only Preston apparently in for this left back.

If Ndaiye is to go it would be nice to have a signing or too (even if only on loan) to excite us and actually upgrade the side we had last season. Let’s try and get someone who might go on to represent England or play regular champions league football in future…. We’ve proven we can develop players before now.

Overall, it Does feel like hecky is fighting with 1 and a half hands tied behind his back at the moment. We’d all do well to remember that and cut him some slack if we’re cut adrift at the bottom of the league next season
Hecky deserves a medal as big as a bin lid and all the slack he can get - which - knowing us will be about 6/7 games before shoes off melt down suicidal tendencies

Why i’m not a massive fans of loans. In a relegation battle, are they really that bothered? On the flip side, if they do well, then it becomes stupidly hard to either take them perminantly or replace them.

Loans to buy I understand, but we need to avoid standard ones if we’re ever to progress.

Thought the City lads were great. Don’t expect McAtee back, but Doyle, we really need to replace!

Stop assuming nothing will happen and that we will not be stronger than two months ago.
I accept that you began with “if”, but I detected an air of negativity.
Sorry to burst the bubble but negativity is in the air we have no money after going up and trying to do it on the cheap we lost Doyle and Maccatee poised to lose illy with signings of well they might be good we need experience mixed in

I've seen nothing to suggest that Doyle or McAtee would thrive in our side in the Premier League. We'll be ceding possession to almost every team so it will be a different game. McAtee might have a bigger impact because he's a game changer but I don't think (with his all-round game) he'd do particularly well in our side. And he'd be more likely to play in the Ndiaye role as I don't think we can carry a midfielder who is defensively weak. Playing in a City team who dominate possession is a whole different ball game though.

We need an athletic ball-winning midfielder. It's what we've been missing for years. We've had to get players to do that role even though it's not really their game, but I doubt they'll be able to do it in the Premier League.

Mcatee and doyle were prospects to be fair... in fact mcatee took some right shit on here early doors.....then they both came good.

Well said.

Those with short memories quickly forget the meltdown that followed Macatee's out of his depth, first half at Luton.

Absolute full credit to the lad for working through it and coming good, and Hecky deserves credit too, for deploying him more carefully after that. It didn't stop loads on here getting their boot in though at the time, in judging him a rank failure.

It does look as though we won't start with a side as the one that took us up, but surely any reasonable person* has to wait and see what happens?

Even if we don't start as obvious title contenders, they will get my support and plenty of others too.

Couple of options for those pissing and moaning now:
1/ Hold your powder until the window closes and then comment on yer' real facts
2/ FOTH

* A pejorative term and of course I don't really regard myself as reasonable either.

I've seen nothing to suggest that Doyle or McAtee would thrive in our side in the Premier League. We'll be ceding possession to almost every team so it will be a different game. McAtee might have a bigger impact because he's a game changer but I don't think (with his all-round game) he'd do particularly well in our side. And he'd be more likely to play in the Ndiaye role as I don't think we can carry a midfielder who is defensively weak. Playing in a City team who dominate possession is a whole different ball game though.

We need an athletic ball-winning midfielder. It's what we've been missing for years. We've had to get players to do that role even though it's not really their game, but I doubt they'll be able to do it in the Premier League.

Good points about both players, but I think Doyle can be that ball winning midfielder.

If we can only have one of them, it would be Doyle every time for me.

Good points about both players, but I think Doyle can be that ball winning midfielder.

If we can only have one of them, it would be Doyle every time for me.
I'm a little dubious, but if he was cheap (less than £5 million) I'd not be opposed to signing him. He has the benefit of already knowing how to play in our system.

The concern would be I'm not sure he's athletic enough for the role. He ended last season strongly but he started it not being able to finish 90 minutes or play two games in a row. He'll need to up with energy and workrate by at least 25% to compete in the Premier League. Might be able to do it but I'd say it will at least take him months to get to that place. I don't think we can afford to do that.

If he's our own player, then it's an investment. If he's on loan, we're basically doing the hard bit for City.

I'm usually an optimist but if we start the season without Ndiaye, McAtee and Doyle which is beginning to look likely we'll be a lot weaker than last season.

Slimani, Traoe are not the finished product, more prospects,
what were Ndiaye , McAtee and Doyle 12 months ago, thats right not the finished product were they, in fact looked a bit raw early on

I think the question we need to ask is would we have got anywhere close to the auto promotion spots without him.

Let's be honest alot of our games were distinctly average last season and relied on some Ndiaye magic.

Our signings have been good value signings but nowhere near the finished article yet.

I don't see us having a cat in hells chance of staying up if/when Ndiaye goes.

Not being negative just a realist.
Exactly

what were Ndiaye , McAtee and Doyle 12 months ago, thats right not the finished product were they, in fact looked a bit raw early on
Last season was the Championship where prospects can thrive and Illy was more than a prospect. This is the Prem where prospects won't get time. You need big players. At the moment are we really looking at starting a midfield with Norwood and Fleck?

Last season was the Championship where prospects can thrive and Illy was more than a prospect. This is the Prem where prospects won't get time. You need big players. At the moment are we really looking at starting a midfield with Norwood and Fleck?
So your saying the rest of the team have no clue about playing in the prem and other teams that bring in young players .are they being just as vulnerable ..Arsenal are forever bringing in young talent

So your saying the rest of the team have no clue about playing in the prem and other teams that bring in young players .are they being just as vulnerable ..Arsenal are forever bringing in young talent
I didn't say that. I said we're weaker as it stands from last season and we need some big signings to be competitive otherwise it'll be a long season. I don't want to see a rerun of the relegation season. That's not being a bedwetter it's reality.

Back
Top Bottom