Weaker?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Camden Blade

Reaction score
I'm usually an optimist but if we start the season without Ndiaye, McAtee and Doyle which is beginning to look likely we'll be a lot weaker than last season. Slimani, Traoe are not the finished product, more prospects, they may be good, they may be flops. O'Brien didn't cut it at Forest. The midfield is the cause for most concern as I believe that was the area that cost us in the relegation season more than defence, attack. If the midfield is weak you're f*cked. Hopefully we'll get a couple more m/f in. It's gone quiet on the Doyle front. I saw a comment on Twitter that we're no longer pursuing Doyle. Hope that's wrong. But it feels like Heckys hands are tied right now.

I'm usually an optimist but if we start the season without Ndiaye, McAtee and Doyle which is beginning to look likely we'll be a lot weaker than last season. Slimani, Traoe are not the finished product, more prospects, they may be good, they may be flops. O'Brien didn't cut it at Forest. The midfield is the cause for most concern as I believe that was the area that cost us in the relegation season more than defence, attack. If the midfield is weak you're f*cked. Hopefully we'll get a couple more m/f in. It's gone quiet on the Doyle front. I saw a comment on Twitter that we're no longer pursuing Doyle. Hope that's wrong. But it feels like Heckys hands are tied right now.
Two 'if's.
One 'likely'
One 'hope'
One 'hopefully'.

Nowt like judging with a month to go.

Long way to go before we play obviously but I really hope we’ve some more established commodities in our sights.

We are going to lose 3 players without whom we wouldn’t have gone up in Mcatee, Doyle and Ndaiye.

It would be good if we had some more of that Ilk lined up - we obviously beat off lots of competition for mcatee last year and Doyle had a season playing at championship level and doing well. So rightly there were some expectations when they arrived

I’m not complaining about signing unproved players because they represent value for money but to go up and end up weaker despite the revenue boost is pretty sad. But it’s not like there were seemingly lots of clubs trying to get slimane or traore and only Preston apparently in for this left back.

If Ndaiye is to go it would be nice to have a signing or too (even if only on loan) to excite us and actually upgrade the side we had last season. Let’s try and get someone who might go on to represent England or play regular champions league football in future…. We’ve proven we can develop players before now.

Overall, it Does feel like hecky is fighting with 1 and a half hands tied behind his back at the moment. We’d all do well to remember that and cut him some slack if we’re cut adrift at the bottom of the league next season

Last edited:
If we start the Season weaker after getting promoted that will be an absolute embarrassment.
Stop assuming nothing will happen and that we will not be stronger than two months ago.
I accept that you began with “if”, but I detected an air of negativity.

Stop assuming nothing will happen and that we will not be stronger than two months ago.
I accept that you began with “if”, but I detected an air of negativity.
Snowflake I agree but we need those players in ASAP. It's no use them coming in a few days b4 the season starts or even worse b4 the window closes.

Three of our first four games are 'relegation 6 pointers' so we need to be up and running sharpish.

Still expect Doyle to come in if/when Illiman is sold.

We’re in massive trouble if Ndiaye goes, let’s be honest about it.

I think the question we need to ask is would we have got anywhere close to the auto promotion spots without him.

Let's be honest alot of our games were distinctly average last season and relied on some Ndiaye magic.

Our signings have been good value signings but nowhere near the finished article yet.

I don't see us having a cat in hells chance of staying up if/when Ndiaye goes.

Not being negative just a realist.

I think the question we need to ask is would we have got anywhere close to the auto promotion spots without him.

Let's be honest alot of our games were distinctly average last season and relied on some Ndiaye magic.

Our signings have been good value signings but nowhere near the finished article yet.

If Luton spend a bit, I think we’ll finish bottom.

I don’t think we would have got in the play offs without him. We looked absolutely bang average and void of ideas without him on the pitch. I gave us 5% chance of staying up if we had Iliman. If he goes I’d have it at 1%. Would love to be proved wrong obviously. Would be absolutely idiotic if we were to sack Heckingbottom at any point next season. We’ve currently got a mid table championship side apart from 2/3 individuals.

Mcatee and doyle were prospects to be fair... in fact mcatee took some right shit on here early doors.....then they both came good.

Its not done is it..... and this isn't a conversation that needs to come about until a week before the season...its premature.

Were far from done..... i expect 6 more players to enter the club at least.

Realist 🤣🤣🤣

I can see most of the funds from Ilimans sale going towards the clubs current financial problems unfortunately.
Financial problems? Weve balanced them with premier league money just recieved.

HRH has no excuses.... books are and will be balanced, that money shouldnt leave the club!

Mcatee and doyle were prospects to be fair... in fact mcatee took some right shit on here early doors.....then they both came good.

Its not done is it..... and this isn't a conversation that needs to come about until a week before the season...its premature.

Were far from done..... i expect 6 more players to enter the club at least.

It may be a lack of my wider football knowledge and I’m happy to be proven wrong but I’d say Doyle and McAtee were both better known and regarded as a better calibre of prospect than the guys we’re currently being linked with.

Happy to stand corrected - Slimane is a full international after all but it’s not like these targets definitely represent a step up in class than who we were targeting in the championship.

I’ll be delighted if these are decent squad contributors or prove to be Bargains obviously but it would be good to have someone to truely come in with high expectations and be an upgrade on what we have

I can see most of the funds from Ilimans sale going towards the clubs current financial problems unfortunately.
Even though the club has apparently used the prem funds "to clear the decks" and paid outstanding debts???
Wonder what they have left to pay off!???

It may be a lack of my wider football knowledge and I’m happy to be proven wrong but I’d say Doyle and McAtee were both better known and regarded as a better calibre of prospect than the guys we’re currently being linked with.

Happy to stand corrected - Slimane is a full international after all but it’s not like these targets definitely represent a step up in class than who we were targeting in the championship.

I’ll be delighted if these are decent squad contributors or prove to be Bargains obviously but it would be good to have someone to truely come in with high expectations and be an upgrade on what we have

Doyle had half a season at Cardiff, Mcatee had a couple of no collatoral damage games at City...... But neither were household names. You can't knock them for how their time at United panned out in the slightest.

But what grounds do you have to already write of Slimane as mediocre? Or substandard to those two?

Slimane has played 100+ plus first team games.... he's played 27 times for his country.... he's represented them at a world cup..... why so cold towards him?? Or why consider him as a downgrade on two city players who had'nt achieved anywhere near what he has to date??

You need the wind back the expectations. If you've got 100m to throw at the job chuck it in. Im not being funny, i'm not in any way defending the dictatorship of our club...... but i'm a realist at the same time. We aren't going to spend big! Simple as that......

But don't write off players that join us and haven't kicked a ball..... his CV shows capability.

Ffs Ndiaye is just speculation but that does not mean he is going to be sold Berge the same. a few more players will be bought or on loan. Doyle and Mcatee. if I had a choice I loan Mcatee and buy Doyle. we all know Hecky has his arms tied. however, He is doing a great job. we need new owner-owners before the season starts. then things will change for the better. well hopefully anyway.

Berge going, nadiye going and no one to replace them won't happen. I'm pessimistic but come on

Doyle had half a season at Cardiff, Mcatee had a couple of no collatoral damage games at City...... But neither were household names. You can't knock them for how their time at United panned out in the slightest.

But what grounds do you have to already write of Slimane as mediocre? Or substandard to those two?

Slimane has played 100+ plus first team games.... he's played 27 times for his country.... he's represented them at a world cup..... why so cold towards him?? Or why consider him as a downgrade on two city players who had'nt achieved anywhere near what he has to date??

You need the wind back the expectations. If you've got 100m to throw at the job chuck it in. Im not being funny, i'm not in any way defending the dictatorship of our club...... but i'm a realist at the same time. We aren't going to spend big! Simple as that......

But don't write off players that join us and haven't kicked a ball..... his CV shows capability.

I’m not writing them off, happy to concede that I dont know loads about them. I’m certainly not judging before I’ve watched more than a 5min YT video. I’d love all the signings to be brilliant

I’m just saying slimane doesn’t get into last years side (given he plays berges position seeming ) with what we know And the view from was pretty mixed as he seems to have had a poor last 12 months. With Doyle and mcatee with the level/ hype around them there were reasonable EXPECTATIONS and not HOPE that they’d improve the 11.

Understand there’s along way to go but I’m saying it would be nice if we were aiming for Better prospects now we’re in the PL. none of those linked have the profile of an Anel who we signed in the league below. None of them are guaranteed starters even

Who knows - I’m sure we’ve irons in the fire. I just want a player who we’d have no chance of signing if we were still in the championship.

All that’s happened so for is almost certainly 3 of our best players from last year are our the door - we need to counteract that if we want to avoid a repeat of the relegation season where we went months without winning

Back
Top Bottom