Match Thread Watford v. Sheffield United - 05/10/19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WATF
WATF
WATF

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1570142531527.png v. 1570142539672.png

EPL Week 8 - Saturday 5th October 2019 - Vicarage Road

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/watford-vs-sheffield-united.472/

Officials:

Referee:
Andre Marriner
Assistant Referee: Simon Long
Assistant Referee: Peter Kirkup
Fourth Official: Tim Robinson
Video Assistant Referee: Martin Atkinson
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Harry Lennard

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2019-10-03 at 23.38.27.png

I still wish we’d spent our money on Maupey instead of McBurnie.

Two poor teams so far ☹

That’s not quite fair.

We’ve totally dominated midfield but it’s as though Watford aren’t even trying to win midfield.
Watford have played very good “away team” tactics, they’ve let us have loads of possession (roughly 70%)
they’re defending in numbers so we commit numbers forward....then they’re trying to catch us on the break.
We’ve dominated and controlled the game without creating any good chances.
They’ve been very defensive but created 2 or 3 good situations on the break.....missing a really easy chance.
In fact Watford have not had a single shot on target......whereas we’ve had 2 shots on target.

It does seem weird playing away at Watford and but it’s us that looks like the home team....you can see that Watford are lacking confidence.

We've got to score first and Wilder needs to be less cautious in the second half and really go for it. All this possession is great but we're not doing much with it. Granted, Watford have parked the bus, but our season is starting to tell a familiar story. Solid defensively but creating very few clear cut chances in games, and not tucking them away when we do.

Robinson off for me and Mousset or Sharp to come on at half time. If we're still not creating much then sacrifice a midfielder for Freeman or the other striker.

Wow....we have all our men forward pinning Watford back

Then they catch us on the break Egan tries a diving header clearance on the half way line and misses
So it’s now Danny Welbeck clean through running centrally at goal with just Henderson to beat.

Looks a certain goal but......Deano spreads himself and pulls off a fantastic save..
Henderson has some weaknesses but he’s always been a fantastic shot stopper.

Robinson could have scored there.....half chance snap shot....gets the power but hits it straight at their goalie.

McBurnie booked for stupid push, looks frustrated.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm starting to doubt that Robinson will score five goals if he started every game this season. He'd be more effective as a winger than a striker but we don't use wingers. He seems like a nice lad who tries hard, but Premier League striker he is not. I wouldn't trust him to score a penalty if Warwick Davis was the goalkeeper. I'm happy to be proved wrong but so far, other than a good second half against Chelsea following a crap first half against them, I've not seen anything from him to convince me otherwise.

Score in the second half and prove me wrong please Callum.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but I'm starting to doubt that Robinson will score five goals if he started every game this season. He'd be more effective as a winger than a striker but we don't use wingers. He seems like a nice lad who tries hard, but Premier League striker he is not. I wouldn't trust him to score a penalty if Warwick Davis was the goalkeeper. I'm happy to be proved wrong but so far, other than a good second half against Chelsea following a crap first half against them, I've not seen anything from him to convince me otherwise.

Score in the second half and prove me wrong please Callum.

Couldn’t care less if he doesn’t score any goals this season as long as he contributes helping the team to pick up loads of points.

Watford coming into the game much more, having more possession and pushing more players forward.
At least they won’t be able to catch us on the break so much....which was their main danger tactic 1st half.
McBurnie off and Moose on.....it’s a more open and even game now.
Still think it’s impressive that we’re playing away in the PL and at no time been under any real pressure.

Last edited:
Watford much the better team at the moment we look lethargic, too slow, passes going astray. need billy and Freeman let’s go for it!

Couldn’t care less if he doesn’t score any goals this season as long as he contributes helping the team to pick up loads of points.

Watford coming into the game much more, having more possession and pushing more players forward.
At least they won’t be able to catch us on the break so much....which was their main danger tactic 1st half.
McBurnie off and Moose on.....it’s a more open and even game now.
Still think it’s impressive that we’re playing away in the PL and at no time been under any real pressure.
We still need to score though.

Watford much the better team at the moment we look lethargic, too slow, passes going astray. need billy and Freeman let’s go for it!

Who would you take off? Lunny? Bash? Robinson?

We need to do something to try to score.

0-0 away from home is always a great result but this will be four league games in a row without a win.

Apologies, that was supposed to read one win in our last four league matches.

What I don't understand is that our strikers have been pretty much starved of service all game. So why just change the front two and not the midfield? Now we have a fresh front line not getting any service.

What has Freeman got to do to get on the pitch, or more to the point, what isn't he doing?

Come on Blades. You can do this.

It strange but all we have had in attack today is the long ‘hopeful’ ball into the box? Not like United!

Well that was poor.

We'll never have a team press us less, and we were as hesitant and toothless as we've been for donkeys.

Henderson has levelled it out already, saved us twice there.

Robinson cannot start the next game, was cack today.

McBurnie wasn't much better.

Terrible really. At least we got away with a point.

Any away point is a good point, especially in the Premier League. But we should've won the game considering how much of the ball we had and how shite they are.

These two teams could of played 90 hours and still been 0-0. Desperately lacking that attacking flair in the final third.

Have we become the equivalent of England in the 90s? Our single strategy being cross, cross and cross some more.

We are currently in 2nd last position for touches in the box but in the top 4 for number of crosses... Says it all really

McGoldrick come back quick.

If a striker isn't scoring, at least he offers supreme linkup play.

McGoldrick and one of Moose or Sharp hopefully after the international break.

We keep going over the top, it doesn't work for us, how many balls across the 6 yard box did we score from last season? Too hoofy.

Are we really missing Didsy this badly? Is that what's wrong today.

Wilder needs to find the right balance soon as we're defensively solid, but toothless in attack. With Arsenal, Man Utd and West Ham coming up next, this was the only fixture that looked the most likely for us to win. Come the end of the month, realistically after that lot I expect us to be in the bottom three or hovering above them.

I won't panic as the opponents played have a huge baring on that, but it's how the players bounce back in November that'll tell the bigger picture. We might get an unexpected win but I can't see us getting anything more than another point this month.

Let's hope today and the Soton match don't come back and bite us in the arse.

It's a good away point today, but disappointing that we dominated and never looked like winning at any point. Wilder needs to drop Robinson and find a way to keep the midfield defensively tight but actually perform in attack, as this is our biggest flaw right now.

We're doing well this season, but frustratingly we should be doing better, which is becoming the story of our season.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. UTB.

Off day. Still walk away with a point and a clean sheet away from home. Nowt to moan about really.

Back
Top Bottom