Vinnie Jones on Billy Whitehurst….

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Whenever they have polls about hardest players they are referring about toughest players on the pitch. Stuart Pearce was a really tough tackler and nicknamed “Psycho” but off the pitch Pearce is a pussycat & a nice bloke.

It was easy for Whitehurst to be hard on the pitch because he was a bit of a thug off the pitch, revelled in intimidating players who deserved it and having the odd scrap with whoever wanted it. He was a character in the game but don’t think he was that popular and many of his team mates, never mind the opposition players were scared of him. Seems hard to believe now.

He admits he had limited ability but played in a time when you could be physical. He admits if he didn’t like a player he’d wait for the right moment with a 50/50 challenge then go through the ball and smash into the player behind the ball. He admitted he loved the physical battles and didn’t mind receiving it.

I remember the Night train interview on TalkSPORT interviewed Billy Whitehurst and asked him if Vinny Jones was as tough as they say.

His reply was “Vinnys a good lad but I’ve noticed he’s now living in Los Angeles and earning a good living from acting. So let’s just leave it at that”.

Obviously he was inferring that Vinnys tough guy image was just bravado.

He was a big gambler and big drinker and has some incredible stories. He supposed to have been releasing an auto biography 15 year ago. He started the book but assume he’s been unable to finish it. Would be a great read.

Last edited:
Apologies, didn’t realise he did release his biography about 15 year ago. There can’t have been much publicity, never knew about it.
Don’t think it was ever released? I may be totally wrong but I know it was all set to come out but I heard he had a fall out with the writer, Billy got a couple of subs off him as he was doing the book then shortly before the book was to come out he asked for more money, writer said no so Billy pulled the plug.

Billy's hands (fists) were the size of two normal ones. All the stories suggest he had tremendous punching power, probably could have had a career in Boxing.

Jamie Hoyland was on the under the cosh podcast a bit ago, and he said the exact same things

Don’t think it was ever released? I may be totally wrong but I know it was all set to come out but I heard he had a fall out with the writer, Billy got a couple of subs off him as he was doing the book then shortly before the book was to come out he asked for more money, writer said no so Billy pulled the plug.

Seen that, and similar on other sites. It’s as though it was ready to be listed but never went on sale, no sales or reviews, same with Amazon. I’m sure it never actually went on sale, you’d think you’d be able to pick a second hand one up on eBay or Amazon if it ever went on sale. But there is zero trace of them.

It’s been mentioned on here before in another thread. (I don’t know how to link to older threads and messages.). Somebody suggested a number of people, including Paul Bracewell, were ready to go to court and sue him based on what the book said so it was pulled by lawyers. No idea if that could be true or not.

Edit: just found the messages. One after the comment about getting sued has another poster saying he just never finished it because the publishers stopped paying him, so maybe not.

It’s been mentioned on here before in another thread. (I don’t know how to link to older threads and messages.). Somebody suggested a number of people, including Paul Bracewell, were ready to go to court and sue him based on what the book said so it was pulled by lawyers. No idea if that could be true or not.
Ah right could be that then, I had heard it was pulled due to an argument over money which didn’t really make much sense.

Seen that, and similar on other sites. It’s as though it was ready to be listed but never went on sale, no sales or reviews, same with Amazon. I’m sure it never actually went on sale, you’d think you’d be able to pick a second hand one up on eBay or Amazon if it ever went on sale. But there is zero trace of them.

Tried on Abebooks, best 2nd hand site, nothing

Ah right could be that then, I had heard it was pulled due to an argument over money which didn’t really make much sense.

I heard Billy being interviewed (must have 15 years ago) on the radio and they asked him about his autobiography.

He said he agreed to write it and the publisher would send him a small cheque (an advance) every month to tie him over.
He confirmed he was writing bits each month (as promised) and receiving his money, then his publisher must have lost patience because they stopped paying him.
So he stopped writing it and confirmed that he's still got a half written autobiography somewhere in the house.
Sounds like the publisher weren't happy with his output, so pulled the plug.

Billy's hands (fists) were the size of two normal ones. All the stories suggest he had tremendous punching power, probably could have had a career in Boxing.
There was a story that he got in a fight with a well known Sheffield light-middleweight and came second.

There was a story that he got in a fight with a well known Sheffield light-middleweight and came second.
Suppose it’s a matter of opinion if anyone shaded the fight but my recollection is it was a draw, they knocked seven bells of shit out of each other and it just went on and on and on, so much so that they both called it to pack it in as neither could finish the other man, but it was some fight.. at the time of the fight one was the current reigning WBO world champion, the other was a pissed up pub landlord..

Suppose it’s a matter of opinion if anyone shaded the fight but my recollection is it was a draw, they knocked seven bells of shit out of each other and it just went on and on and on, so much so that they both called it to pack it in as neither could finish the other man, but it was some fight.. at the time of the fight one was the current reigning WBO world champion, the other was a pissed up pub landlord..
I'm intrigued!
This is the first I've ever heard of this, but internet searches brought up nothing :(
Initially I thought Ryan Rhodes but then realised he wasn't a WBO world champion, right?
More Googling brought up Paul "Silky" Jones - right weight class, and a WBO champ.
is this who we're talking about?
Must've happened yonks ago, granted - but you would have thought some fucker would've splashed it all over the internet by now! 🤣

I'm intrigued!
This is the first I've ever heard of this, but internet searches brought up nothing :(
Initially I thought Ryan Rhodes but then realised he wasn't a WBO world champion, right?
More Googling brought up Paul "Silky" Jones - right weight class, and a WBO champ.
is this who we're talking about?
Must've happened yonks ago, granted - but you would have thought some fucker would've splashed it all over the internet by now! 🤣
Not my place to name the fighter but I’m sure it will be in Billy’s book if he ever finishes it. When Billy had the Cricketers if you drank there or London Rd it was not a big secret, Sundays in the Cricks were amazing back then, had strippers, karaoke and disco all on the Sunday afternoon, also guaranteed fights every week just about, if there was a hardman with a reputation or someone who acted the big man Billy would want to fight them, off top of my head I can think of three other fights he had against so called big hitters, but Billy was not daft and he would tell them to get in the toilet as it was a small space and he would maul them pretty easily, the boxer in question was also not daft and refused the toilet invitation and wanted the street outside with space hence why it went on a fair time.

I came across Billy when he was working for a contractor, as a store man, on a power station project a few years ago. I can confirm he is as hard as nails and even though you get some real hard cases on a construction site, everyone was scared of him! At that time he was still doing radio interviews and the like and would occasionally disappear from work, leaving the stores open for anyone to help themselves. It was strange, the boss never complained about it once! But if he was in a good mood, he used to tell some great tales about his past.

It always amuses me when people lionise Whitehurst. He sounded like a galactic level prick
Have to agree with you because most of the time he was a prick, could basically try and start with anyone for no reason whatsoever. But then he could be the nicest man you’ve ever met, a real jeckyll and hyde character to say the least.

I wasn't there, pal. The story I was told was that Billy got battered.

Have to agree with you because most of the time he was a prick, could basically try and start with anyone for no reason whatsoever. But then he could be the nicest man you’ve ever met, a real jeckyll and hyde character to say the least.
Yep, quite a few tough lads are like that, the late John Chidlaw, for one. Always a gent to me and the Mrs.

I wasn't there, pal. The story I was told was that Billy got battered.
He didn’t, gave as good as he got and personally I’d say it was a draw. But if you were scoring it as a boxing match then who knows maybe the boxer won easily but it didn’t get stopped because one man was battering the other, got stopped because they were both fucked and it didn’t seem likely there was going to be a winner, both faces took a hammering.

Too young to remember Billy playing, but sounds a bloody character. The story Paul Beesley tells on Undr the Cosh about him, Derek French & the greyhound was funny. Last I heard he was living up in South Elmsall.

Back
Top Bottom