VAR to be used in Championship Play Off's.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I thought the PL game recently was a good example, can't remember who exactly was playing, but a goal got ruled out for offside, which it clearly was, but then a penalty was given for a handball that had occurred before the offside and the penalty was scored.

It might seem bonkers to some, but they are the rules of the game and if the rules can be applied more consistently then they should be, especially with all the shit we give referees. I guess we just always need something to be angry about and to disagree with, if it's not refs then it's VAR

I get that it can dampen our spirits if a goal is disallowed or a decision goes against us, but to me that's cancelled out by when a goal isn't ruled out and you get to celebrate twice!

I dunno, forget which match it was other week think it was against Manure, goal was given by VAR even though Keepers view was obstructed by offside player. So in our case with our "obstructed" goal denied VAR may have given the goal.

in theory, having VAR in the play-offs should be a good thing. After all, we‘ve suffered some appalling decisions this season to such an extent that the gaffer requested a meeting with PGMOL.

Ultimately, though, far from being ‘brought in to stop the howler’ - as was the claim - experience has shown that VAR was actually ‘brought in to stop the howler against favoured clubs’. It isn’t used in an even-handed way.

As others have said, it’s just another layer of referees and a safety net to ensure that certain clubs are always looked after. For instance, look at the way we invariably had goals reviewed for up to 5 minutes in the search for something, anything, to justify disallowing. And does anyone believe that the useless turd Michael Oliver would have just trotted back to the halfway-line tapping his watch without stopping the game and checking the monitors, if Jurgen Klopp was going berserk on the touch line at Aston Villa because his team had scored a ‘ghost goal’?

Contrast, how often you see incidents at Anfield where decisions that should be made against Liverpool aren’t even looked at. Times many the TV commentators have been left watching damning replays and saying things like, “it’s surprising but Michael Oliver (as he’s the regular stooge appointed to look after the favoured clubs) obviously wasn’t told to take another look at that, by the VAR.”

So, unfortunately in this country VAR is simply a fail-safe to achieve the desired results in games. And, I suspect that the desired outcome in this season’s Championship is Nottingham Forest being promoted.

It’s a shame as in European matches it is invariably used brilliantly, and it should be a benefit.

Interesting now that Bournemouth have fluked their way up with an avalanche of decisions going their way they now decide it's needed with so much at stake.

What about how much was at stake for just about anyone in the top 10 who could have usurped Bournemouth had they not had so much go their way?

4 points vs us. 2 vs Forest. 1 vs Fulham. 1 vs Swansea. 1 vs Boro. 2 vs Bristol C. 1 vs Peterborough. 2 vs Stoke. 1 v Fulham. 1 vs West Brom.

16 points where removing the favorable decision their way would have changed the outcome.

Isn't it also interesting to note the number of teams who would have been the bookies direct rivals to Bournemouth who ended up on the wrong end?

That's not counting at least 4 others where the eventual margin ended up being more than one goal but whose course could have changed dramatically if the correct decision was given in game.

I'm sure they may be able to find something they feel didn't go their way but in isolation that 16 points puts them on par with Millwall, just outside the play offs. Yet they've walked away with one of the automatic spots. How significant had the officiating been in the final outcome? To go from automatics to not even in the play offs?

I hear you, but this season I've grown tired of watching teams spontaneously score a goal that shouldn't have stood, winning a penalty that wasn't and having our own valid goals and penalty shouts go the wrong way.

VAR is many things, but it's still better than shit referees.
I couldn't disagree anymore strongly.

Despite the unbelievable decisions we've faced this season, which will likely keep us down in the championship I'd take it every day of the week over losing the explosive celebrations when your team scores a crucial goal.

Stick your VAR

It is still subject to the opinion of the guy watching the VAR monitor to see whether he informs the ref, who then usually acts in favour of his decision. Subsequently the bloke far removed from the action controls the game, no need for refs and definitely no need for linesmen.
yes he gets it right more often than the referee, but having spent up to four minutes studying footage for what is supposed to be clear and obvious, it takes away the spontaneous fun and excitement of what is football as I knew it. I would gladly give it up in favour of instant recognition of a goal. Over the course of a season things usually even out,.

It's a bit bleedin' previous to assume this will be relevant to us at all.

At least this gives the teams a chance to get used to receiving awful decisions when they get into the premier league and fit into the whipping boy role.

I did a similar exercise with us:

Birmingham 0-1
Blades felt they should have had a penalty when Gardner blocked a John Fleck effort with his arm. +1

Bournemouth 1-2
Penalty given outside the box and goal offside in build up. +3

Birmingham 2-1
Hosts unhappy Sharp wasn't given offside. N'Diaye tripped in the box. Net flat.

Huddersfield 0-0
Russell unlucky to see a header disallowed. -1

Forest 1-1
Forest should have had a penalty when Femi Seriki pulled Keinan Davis's shirt. -1

Blackpool 0-0
Sander Berge and Oliver Norwood both had goals rules out for offside (wrongly). +2

Stoke 0-1
Norrington-Davies felled in the box. +1

Bournemouth 0-0
Gibbs-White was also denied a penalty late on after appearing to be caught by Nathaniel Phillips. +2

So from our side, we should be 7 points better off.

So, apparently it evens itself out. That would be a 23 point swing between us and Bournemouth, notwithstanding if there were other instances which would have added points to them, but even so, that's a helluva head start.

For me the best moments supporting your club are those limbs flying, hugging strangers, almost crying with joy moments when your team bags a crucial goal… with VAR I don’t celebrate, I stand up and say “now then” and wait for a good couple of minutes of the game continuing before I do a little fist pump and say “get in”.

The worst moments supporting your club are when a patently wrong decision is made by a negligent official and the bitter feeling of injustice haunts you for days, weeks, months after the event (“where would we be in the table if we hadn’t been robbed of them 2 points”).

I don’t know what the answer is because clearly VAR is the future because it (theoretically) stops patently wrong decisions being made. But it also removes the very best feelings from the game.

Its more than a little concerning that this decision to use VAR for the Championship play-offs has come - seemingly out of the blue - a couple of days after the money man that owns Forest, Evangelos Marinakis, complained to the EFL and in public, that Forest had been denied promotion by recent refereeing decisions in their games at Luton and Bournemouth. In fact, he widened his complaint out to say that “the referees have not been with us, all season”.

Marinakis is clearly very angry at having been so close to securing the golden ticket to Premier League cash which, ultimately, is the only reason why any of these foreign owners buy an English football club.

Well, now, suddenly, the play-offs will have VAR. And VAR will be used with Marinakis’ rant hanging in the air.

It stinks, obviously. As does the way the football authorities make these decisions without any fear of scrutiny or question. The authorities and PGMOL carry on as if their actions are immune from inquiry and to be fair they are right. The charade that football is scrupulously fair and that any mistakes are ‘honest mistakes’ persists.

The truth is that when any industry is as awash with money as football has become, events are rarely left to chance.

in theory, having VAR in the play-offs should be a good thing. After all, we‘ve suffered some appalling decisions this season to such an extent that the gaffer requested a meeting with PGMOL.

Ultimately, though, far from being ‘brought in to stop the howler’ - as was the claim - experience has shown that VAR was actually ‘brought in to stop the howler against favoured clubs’. It isn’t used in an even-handed way.

As others have said, it’s just another layer of referees and a safety net to ensure that certain clubs are always looked after. For instance, look at the way we invariably had goals reviewed for up to 5 minutes in the search for something, anything, to justify disallowing. And does anyone believe that the useless turd Michael Oliver would have just trotted back to the halfway-line tapping his watch without stopping the game and checking the monitors, if Jurgen Klopp was going berserk on the touch line at Aston Villa because his team had scored a ‘ghost goal’?

Contrast, how often you see incidents at Anfield where decisions that should be made against Liverpool aren’t even looked at. Times many the TV commentators have been left watching damning replays and saying things like, “it’s surprising but Michael Oliver (as he’s the regular stooge appointed to look after the favoured clubs) obviously wasn’t told to take another look at that, by the VAR.”

So, unfortunately in this country VAR is simply a fail-safe to achieve the desired results in games. And, I suspect that the desired outcome in this season’s Championship is Nottingham Forest being promoted.

It’s a shame as in European matches it is invariably used brilliantly, and it should be a benefit.
Summed up perfectly.

I reckon it could be to our advantage.
None of the other teams have had direct contact with VAR we had two years and VAR does pickup on them sly pushes and pulls.
Having experienced that first hand that should give us a slight advantage no hiding place with VAR.

Just further to the fact that this decision to use VAR in the Championship play-offs comes on the back of Marinakis complaining to the EFL about refereeing decisions costing Forest promotion, it’s hard not to remember that Marinakis was previously the subject of an investigation into match-fixing in Greece amid allegations that the Greek FA colluded in arranging the appointment of certain referees in certain games.

It has to be noted that Marinakis was cleared by the Greek Court of Appeal although people might have their own opinion of how the Greek judiciary works.

in any event, given the smoke around Marinakis in the past, his comments about referees this week are concerning. They do rather feel like the self-entitled comments of a rich man used to getting his own way, whatever it takes.

Just a small question on VAR we know the lane has the set up for VAR but what about the other grounds, I'm thinking especially Forest Luton and Millwall who haven't been in the Premier league for ages or in the case of Forest and Luton decades?

Refs making incorrect decisions in real time versus refs making incorrect decisions with the aid of Microsoft Paint and a pause button. VAR more likely to get the decisions right but at the expense of fan spontaneity.

Calling it now. We finally score a meaningful goal in a playoff final on the big stage, go absolutely bananas and then it gets chalked off on a technicality.

VAR ruins the spontaneous fan experience.

What about if we conceed a goal in the playoff final on the big stage, they go absolutely bananas, and then it gets chalked off on a technicality?

What about if we conceed a goal in the playoff final on the big stage, they go absolutely bananas, and then it gets chalked off on a technicality?
Still not football as it is meant to be. This season really brought home why I dislike VAR. And I say that safe in the knowledge that we were shafted most when it was in operation in the Prem and probably would have benefited most from it this year had it been used.

Back
Top Bottom