Uefa Women's Euro 2022 at Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As someone said elsewhere, you could also use Mount Pleasant Park as another fan zone, if needed. Throw in all the open spaces in the city centre (Dev Green, Tudor Square, Peace Gardens, Barkers Pool and the under development Pounds Park and I really can’t understand why it’d be an issue.

It’s not exactly like every venue ever used in major tournaments has a park right next to it. Surely easier to have everything in walking distance of the city centre and the heart of the majority of the hotels/bars/restaurants and transportation.

Really enjoyed being sat in the middle of the Sweden fans on the bottom right of the kop, a drummer and a woman with a megaphone keeping the chants going all game, tremendous atmosphere and a great game of football, think we are sat amongst them again for the game on Wednesday, can't wait.
Really buzzing in town yesterday and a great atmosphere especially Devonshire St and canal basin but the football itself was very poor for the first 30 mins when I could take no more and switched off.

2030 euros is shared with Ireland Wales and Scotland isn't it? Can't see how a sub 40k stadium gets picked in England tbh

Reactions: Dkc
Yep. Thousands of fans putting about a million quid into the city centre economy instead of milling around Hillsborough Park feeding the ducks.
Even this brain dead council can see the benefit of using the Lane over Hillsborough now surely?
The lane could be made of solid gold and diamonds and Hillsborough even rustier and more dilapidated than it already is and those clowns would still submit hillsborough whenever Sheffield might have chance to be host city. Biased thick muppets they are.

Imagine if they chose Hillsborough yesterday lol parsons cross and that wasteland across the ground and all that rust would have looked embarassing for Sheffield

The lane could be made of solid gold and diamonds and Hillsborough even rustier and more dilapidated than it already is and those clowns would still submit hillsborough whenever Sheffield might have chance to be host city. Biased thick muppets they are.

Imagine if they chose Hillsborough yesterday lol parsons cross and that wasteland across the ground and all that rust would have looked embarassing for Sheffield
Apparently according to some Porker on Porktalk it was an extremely close call.
"The media centres & comms at both of the other grounds swung what was an extremely close call!"

Apparently according to some Porker on Porktalk it was an extremely close call.
"The media centres & comms at both of the other grounds swung what was an extremely close call!"
Imagine lauding it over your tinpot toytown neighbours who have a shoebox-sized ground but it still gets picked over your own rusting heap of shit because they still use cans and string for communication.

Hillsbrough is outdated in so many ways it's miles away from hosting anything of note any time soon. Does anyone know how much it cost us to upgrade Lane other year? I saw £4/5m touted but never owt concrete. And we'd had it upgraded in 06 as well. Their ground is PL ready by 1999 standards. Imagine the bill?

As for Hillsborough Park being the argument for, I don't think it's that good of an idea. 35k inside with the same again so close by? It would need spreading out ever so slightly. Hillsbrough is a bottle neck as it is.

Last edited:

Sheffield is officially better than Manchester.

Gutted I couldn't make it in to town yesterday, it looked like a great do.

It would be really, for the day out. No need to jump on a tram or train. Just stumble 15 minutes down the hill from the pubs and you’re there.

When I went into town at about 1 PM yesterday, the Swedish fans had already set up camp in The Frog and Parrrot on Division Street.

Large groups of Dutch fans had decked out The Forrm with their flags and posters.

I’d be interested to know whether it was the fans themselves who chose to take over those two pubs/areas or if it was pre-arranged by the Council or whoever.

Hats off to whoever did organise it as it couldn’t have been any better planned really.

Wouldn’t have been possible without the good natured response of both sets of fans and locals of course

When I went into town at about 1 PM yesterday, the Swedish fans had already set up camp in The Frog and Parrrot on Division Street.

Large groups of Dutch fans had decked out The Forrm with their flags and posters.

I’d be interested to know whether it was the fans themselves who chose to take over those two pubs/areas or if it was pre-arranged by the Council or whoever.

Hats off to whoever did organise it as it couldn’t have been any better planned really.

Wouldn’t have been possible without the good natured response of both sets of fans and locals of course
Devonshire Green was definitely pre designated a fans park, not sure of it was supposed to be for either side specifically though. Division Street being taken over just happened I think.

https://www.sheffieldfa.com/news/2022/jun/30/uefa-womens-euro-2022-fan-festivals

Attachments

• 29564CFB-8CDD-4791-973A-6E37FA1F0379.png
    29564CFB-8CDD-4791-973A-6E37FA1F0379.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The most irritating thing for me is that they just refuse to acknowledge the differences.

I have long been saying Hillsborough could be a lovely ground, it's got history, capacity and character but fuck me it's a mess and for anyone to take it seriously it needs bringing up to standard. Desperately.

The Lane doesn't quite have the capacity of s6 but it too has history, loads of character, nice surroundings and is in good nick. Don't get me wrong some modernising here and there with some more capacity wouldn't go a miss but when watching on telly last night and comparing it to seeing Hillsborough on telly the quality is miles apart.

Seeing the wonderful scenes in Sheffield for this tournament, it feels more important than ever that we go forward in upgrading the facilities at BDTBL. Not just for Uniteds benefit, but for the city’s economy as a whole. Keeping Sheffield relevant as a major sporting/concert venue comes into sharper focus with Don Valley long gone and the Theatre of Rust a deplorable relic, Bramall Lane is very much in the box seat now when comes to thing’s like womens football tournaments, U21/U23 international matches, big Rugby league event’s and maybe one day a mens Euros/World Cup. We don’t have to do much to our beloved lane, but bringing the Kop into the 21st century might be a good start.

Unfortunately the crowd at the NYS tonight looks a little disappointing considering its a game between two of the bigger nations. The commentator reckoned there will be 10000 in but I'd be amazed if it was over 7000 looking at all the empty seats..... cracking match so far though.

The most irritating thing for me is that they just refuse to acknowledge the differences.

I have long been saying Hillsborough could be a lovely ground, it's got history, capacity and character but fuck me it's a mess and for anyone to take it seriously it needs bringing up to standard. Desperately.

The Lane doesn't quite have the capacity of s6 but it too has history, loads of character, nice surroundings and is in good nick. Don't get me wrong some modernising here and there with some more capacity wouldn't go a miss but when watching on telly last night and comparing it to seeing Hillsborough on telly the quality is miles apart.
This is truth ☝️☝️

Seeing the wonderful scenes in Sheffield for this tournament, it feels more important than ever that we go forward in upgrading the facilities at BDTBL. Not just for Uniteds benefit, but for the city’s economy as a whole. Keeping Sheffield relevant as a major sporting/concert venue comes into sharper focus with Don Valley long gone and the Theatre of Rust a deplorable relic, Bramall Lane is very much in the box seat now when comes to thing’s like womens football tournaments, U21/U23 international matches, big Rugby league event’s and maybe one day a mens Euros/World Cup. We don’t have to do much to our beloved lane, but bringing the Kop into the 21st century might be a good start.

and also push for random international friendly games. I'd happily watch say Denmark v. Egypt, games that seem to go to QPR (I appreciate the London factor). I want people to see Sheffield & BDTBL as a good base for that level of operation.

and also push for random international friendly games. I'd happily watch say Denmark v. Egypt, games that seem to go to QPR (I appreciate the London factor). I want people to see Sheffield & BDTBL as a good base for that level of operation.
"Intriguingly", Chesterfield are hosting Real Betis v Olympique Marseille on 27 July

One of the biggest reasons we need to increase the capacity by 10k to 42k, otherwise we’ll be overlooked for national tournaments.

We're not going to be included in big national tournaments. We're an hour from Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham.

You normally get a London and Wembley. Liverpool. Manchester. Maybe Birmingham. Newcastle will no doubt get one now. Then, if you include the home nations, each nation will get one. Then maybe the south coast. There are just too many bigger clubs within a small radius.

Back
Top Bottom