Six of the worst - the worst performances I have seen at Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In order of angst having had to endure the performances.

Blades 1 Bournemouth 3 2023. Never have I witnessed such tactical ineptitude in a 6 pointer game. First shot on target after 87 minutes with us being cheered for getting over the halfway line. Previous managers have been sacked for much less than this.
Bournemouth sit atop the last 6 form guide
and their 3-0 trouncing of man utd at old trafford makes our performance look majestic
and they should have beaten newcatle by more than 2

perhaps its too easy to expect to walk all over Bournemouth

same with fulham , we are upset at losing 3 zip yet the next 2 visitors lost 5-0

Bournemouth sit atop the last 6 form guide
and their 3-0 trouncing of man utd at old trafford makes our performance look majestic
and they should have beaten newcatle by more than 2

perhaps its too easy to expect to walk all over Bournemouth

same with fulham , we are upset at losing 3 zip yet the next 2 visitors lost 5-0
My point still stands. Irrespective of the opposition or the form they are in the tactical ineptitude in the Bmouth game was prevalent and a different approach would have yielded a better result imo. There was nothing majestic about that total capitulation.

Contrast that game with our performance against top of the table and one of the best teams in Europe Liverpool under a new regime. Same players just more tactically aware with better coaching.

Preston H 0-1 13/14

Peak David Weir. Dull negative football and we didn’t create a chance all day, Fabian Brandy got himself sent off and to add a bit of added flavour, some fuckwit at the club has sanctioned the signing of Marlon King
was that the game when brandy just returned from a 3 match ban & then got sent off & ended up in another 3 match ban

Two away shockers at Gillingham stick in my mind one was a 4-1 defeat in 2001 where we had a keeper called Frank Talia who I'd never heard of and one was the first game under Adkins which got us all very excited for the season to open with a 4 nil loss. I think these games are made worse by being in Gillingham, possibly one of the most depressing places in our Solar system.
so i take you wont be buying tickets for the FA cup then 😄

was that the game when brandy just returned from a 3 match ban & then got sent off & ended up in another 3 match ban
No. He was sent off for serious foul play (aka a bad tackle) at MK Dons (L 1-0) and returned after suspension against Preston. His second red (for violent conduct) was after 12 minutes of his first appearance under Nigel Clough away at Shrewsbury. Came on at half time, sent off before the hour mark.

My point still stands. Irrespective of the opposition or the form they are in the tactical ineptitude in the Bmouth game was prevalent and a different approach would have yielded a better result imo. There was nothing majestic about that total capitulation.

Contrast that game with our performance against top of the table and one of the best teams in Europe Liverpool under a new regime. Same players just more tactically aware with better coaching.
We has similar losses at spurs man utd and man city...no one knows why they play really well in those games and can be do slat in there... mind you look how Newcastle are now struggling with a few more injuries...you need quality in the team and on the bench and we zrejust getting some back

so i take you wont be buying tickets for the FA cup then 😄
No, I'm giving that one a miss, as much as a saturday afternoon taking in the delights of Gillingham Town centre and drinking in one of its 3 pubs excites me I think I will probably have to sort out my undercracker draw that day. I think its probably my fault we got drawn against them after posting about those two games. I really need to keep my trap shut.

You’re right we’ve had some nightmares against Yeovil. I was at the 1-0 defeat in 2015 and it was the time that sticks most in my memory for thinking “what the hell am I doing with my life”We were garbage, there was nothing to react to, no anger, no frustration, just nothing. I remember looking round the terrace and few hundred Blades who were there looked like zombies. It was utterly predictable from quite early in the match that at some point they would somehow score a goal and that would be it. They were absolutely dreadful as well but we managed to lose to them.
Weren't Yeovil already or as good as down? I can remember Clough being interviewed beforehand and proclaiming that their lowly status made them 'dangerous'.

Similarly, the magnitude of home fixtures against intimidating opponents, Rochdale and Leyton Orient, had him setting us up in a 4-6-0 formation.

Wolves play off final.
We were fucking pathetic in what was a spectacular season barring that game, we were so disappointing.
We were on a family holiday, I didn't speak for the last 4 days of it I was that shocked at how bad we were.
Warnock dropping McCall was a huge part of why we lost.

My abiding memry of that match isn't so much what happened on the pitch though, understandably- we had one teacher at school who was a huge Wolves fan and his car ended up vandalised :eek:

Forgive me if any fellow soul has mentioned the debacle at Gillingham August 2015.

1st game of the season full of hope and optimism LOST 4-0.

Was John Egan playing for the Gills?

HH

Port Vale at home in Adrian Heaths last game. 1-3 loss from memory. 8000 in attendance
I was there and never seen such a clueless performance- I seem to remember a shot from I think Marcus Bent just hit vertically into the turf and the whole ground groaned - ( he soon became a fantastic player)
One of those games where only 8,000 there but I remember my car journey home being the longest ever - hitting roadworks and following Killgallon car most of the way (customised white Range Rover - number plate something like K1 LLA) - seems he was desperate to leave for home too

I was there and never seen such a clueless performance- I seem to remember a shot from I think Marcus Bent just hit vertically into the turf and the whole ground groaned - ( he soon became a fantastic player)
One of those games where only 8,000 there but I remember my car journey home being the longest ever - hitting roadworks and following Killgallon car most of the way (customised white Range Rover - number plate something like K1 LLA) - seems he was desperate to leave for home too
Kilgallon was only 15 at the time!

Warnock dropping McCall was a huge part of why we lost.

My abiding memry of that match isn't so much what happened on the pitch though, understandably- we had one teacher at school who was a huge Wolves fan and his car ended up vandalised :eek:

You weren't at King Ecgbert's were you?

The low point was when Kozluk put in a cross that ended high up in the Kop.

Bert along with the rest of the Unitedites became very angry.

Port Vale at home in Adrian Heaths last game. 1-3 loss from memory. 8000 in attendance
I was there. 30,000 others claimed to be!

All I remember was Kozluk’s cross that went into the Kop!

Surely May 2nd 1981 v Walsall when Don Givens missed THAT penalty to condemn us to Division 4. I stood on the Kop right behind the goal and wept.
And thus began one of my favourite chants - Harry Haslam Danny Begara wibbly wobbly woo etc. ( no disrespect toeither, - we could/should have signed a certaim Mr. Maradona......

Back
Top Bottom