Throw the book at him

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's all well and good, but what about the serious sexism and homophobia?
Again on this subject, what about fowl and abusive language, mainly the use of the "C" word. Certain there will be young ladies post and read on here. That word crops up on almost every thread. Small steps but let's clean this forum up a tad.

Again on this subject, what about fowl and abusive language, mainly the use of the "C" word. Certain there will be young ladies post and read on here. That word crops up on almost every thread. Small steps but let's clean this forum up a tad.
😇🙏

this is genuine question & i thought is good place to ask. because this is from a person that is teetotal, has never done the pub because it was never a thing growing up going with my granddad then when he passed, i moved sides to sit with my auntie have been their for 20 yrs. it was always chip shop pre match not pub

why do you need drink 6-8 pints to watch a football match

this is genuine question & i thought is good place to ask. because this is from a person that is teetotal, has never done the pub because it was never a thing growing up going with my granddad then when he passed, i moved sides to sit with my auntie have been their for 20 yrs. it was always chip shop pre match not pub

My wife always says that, “ why do you always need a beer when you’re watching the footy?”.
Simple “ It’s Sheff U , try watching them sober, you’d never go again”.

i understand pub thing, ive been on many work night out in them, just the amount of alcohol, is football boring without it? :)
I don't know really. I think the kick off time on Saturday didn't help. Starting at the same time but with an extra couple of hours before the game probably pushed some over their usual limit.

i understand pub thing, ive been on many work night out in them, just the amount of alcohol, is football boring without it? :)
As one teetotaller to another, I can find even the most drab and tedious Sheffield United match entertaining. Stone cold sober every time, and I love it!

The way I look at our support base, is a little bit like a McDonald's chicken nugget (other processed shite available)...... but for the most, its affordable, enjoyable and you don't really regret it..... but every now and again, you come across a bit of an arsehole and it puts you off in the short term...... but chicken nuggets and chicken nuggets are they....you would go again.

Theres definitely a social element to football I think. Usually a dad and lad thing or a chance to meet up with your mates and use football as an excuse. I suppose as people get older, particularly mates, they dont see each other as often so it is a chance for a catch up and a few beers.

Away games are a completely different ball game though. It feels very ‘Brits abroad’ sometimes. I admit I drink more on away games than I do at home games but I like to I usually know the limit.

Also, kudos to you for being able to watch the Adkins years sober. :D

Agreed but there’s a big difference the 70/80s crews only wanted it with like minded opposition fans , innocents rarely got involved, they wasn’t driven by drink or drugs and hardly anybody over the age of 23 got involved.
Agree to an extent but it was definitely fuelled by drugs in the 80s (speed mostly) and people got just as pissed.

And 60 year old blokes who literally can’t keep still and acting more childish than my 4 year old is just a bit fucking weird.
We still talking football, or moved on to parliament?

Took my daughter to the Blackburn away game. Group of 20 somethings turned up 15 minutes late, spent the short time they were at their seats just randomly swearing, buggered off 10 minutes before half. Same 2nd half.
Just weird.

I didn't drink when I first started watching united in early 70's, now I'm alcoholic. You've got to have a belly full watching that shite. Think I might have seen 10 decent seasons out of nearly 50, wouldn't have it any other way rather be a blade than a glory hunter

It amazes me. My first away match on my own was in '61 at Spurs when I was 10. My grandad gave me the money. He also bought me my first beer and gave me a fag at Fox House.

I went with the supporters club on SUT. We drew 1-1. No trouble until I got home when Dad gave me a hiding for not telling him. Mind he was a pig. UTB
I remember going to Hillsborough 1966 and both sets of fans sat and stood together. The rivalry was intense, but something culturally and sociologically happened in the late 1960’s and it’s continued and been normalised over the decades. Probably not a widely shared view but the Thatcher years of celebrated individuality and individualism has probably got something to do with it, the “me and now”, mindset

You went to London and back, on your own, at 10 years old?

My daughter is 10 and she's not allowed to go to the shops or school on her own
no disrespect intended mate but do you not think you’re own anxiety could be transferred onto your daughter ?

I remember going to Hillsborough 1966 and both sets of fans sat and stood together. The rivalry was intense, but something culturally and sociologically happened in the late 1960’s and it’s continued and been normalised over the decades. Probably not a widely shared view but the Thatcher years of celebrated individuality and individualism has probably got something to do with it, the “me and now”, mindset
I'd never stand up for her and it was before me but in fairness the start and some of the worst of trouble in the 70s came before her didn't it??

Fair point though in view of some of the selfishness and 'look at me' behaviour shown now though.

I'd never stand up for her and it was before me but in fairness the start and some of the worst of trouble in the 70s came before her didn't it??

Fair point though in view of some of the selfishness and 'look at me' behaviour shown now though.
I don’t think you can link what is commonly referred to as "the excesses of the 80's" with any upturn in football hooligans, and from someone that lived through that period the whole 'look at me' was nothing compared to what social media has provided over the last twenty years

I don’t think you can link what is commonly referred to as "the excesses of the 80's" with any upturn in football hooligans, and from someone that lived through that period the whole 'look at me' was nothing compared to what social media has provided over the last twenty year
Aye that was very much my point with the 'look at me' comment. I think you can even make that the last 5/10 years and I think Covid polarised everyone ever further.

As if fans before would've ever thrown glass bottles at their own. I'm not just blaming Covid and/or Instagram....all a bit more complicated than that I'm sure but many have certainly disappeared up their own backsides rather than being aware of others.

Aye that was very much my point with the 'look at me' comment. I think you can even make that the last 5/10 years and I think Covid polarised everyone ever further.

As if fans before would've ever thrown glass bottles at their own. I'm not just blaming Covid and/or Instagram....all a bit more complicated than that I'm sure but many have certainly disappeared up their own backsides rather than being aware of others.
Cut myself free of several social media sites a few years ago, I think there has been a huge change from what was living in and enjoying the 'moment' to far more focus on making sure the 'event' is recorded by a selfie and posted online asap.
Problem is the 'event' seems to be anything from a front row seat at some prestigious event to what someone has cooked for dinner!

It may have had something to do with the end of the hippy, flower-power era. The 70's saw less peaceful youth cults emerging like skinheads and metal heads and assorted weirdos (I remember seeing a picture of Ronnie Sharpe on the terraces dressed as Alex from A Clockwork Orange). There was even a 'Ted' revival and they could be nasty too. Even the glam rockers enjoyed a scrap. Then punk came along of course.

It may have had something to do with the end of the hippy, flower-power era. The 70's saw less peaceful youth cults emerging like skinheads and metal heads and assorted weirdos (I remember seeing a picture of Ronnie Sharpe on the terraces dressed as Alex from A Clockwork Orange). There was even a 'Ted' revival and they could be nasty too. Even the glam rockers enjoyed a scrap. Then punk came along of course.
Tribalism in various forms

Back
Top Bottom