Throw the book at him

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Given that, which I'm happy to accept. I think there is now aggression, arguments, kids looking for trouble WITHIN the Blades following. Blade on Blade trouble. Not looking after each other. (I started going away in the 70s). What's your view? Do you agree in any way? Genuinely interested.

It's that aggression towards fellow Blades which I think is growing.
I'd agree but it's not just us (don't get me wrong, that's not defending our own dickheads), there's definitely something going on post-lockdown. Loads in the papers about trouble at grounds all over- the Euros final was mainly our fans hurting our own too. Not just football either, plenty going on at gigs etc.

A lot of anger and frustration being taken out- I don't get why people are turning on their own though, you'd expect folk to be more together and maybe take it out on authority wouldn't you?

It amazes me. My first away match on my own was in '61 at Spurs when I was 10. My grandad gave me the money. He also bought me my first beer and gave me a fag at Fox House.

I went with the supporters club on SUT. We drew 1-1. No trouble until I got home when Dad gave me a hiding for not telling him. Mind he was a pig. UTB

Again, in my experience there are nobhead fans of all ages. No single generation behaves better than any other and am saying this after going to hundreds of blades matches, home and away, since the early 80s. All the 'in my day' lot are deluded.

70s were pretty bad an all

It's not just about being drunk though.
It doesn't matter how much I, and many other people drink, we aren't dickheads.
And I've been in some right states

Drink and drugs only make dickheads bigger dickheads

The only effect it has on normal people is they become pissed, and that's it

I've heard about the hooliganism of previous generations of football culture, I'd always assumed things have gotten better.

Agree with what people are complaining about though regardless.
I’m not really getting at hooliganism at football grounds , there isn’t anyone defending the 70s generation on that score . What I’m seeing at the moment are fans/ people just wanting and waiting to be confrontational at the slightest thing. Be it at a football match, on a station , inside pubs or even supermarkets. Where as 50 years ago a polite sorry would suffice they now want to take it to the next level and wanting something to “ kick off” .
Reference to what Phil wrote, back then as Blades away you only worried about the homies , but today you can come across aggression with your own fans whilst having a drink in the away end. Not a generation thing seems to be a society problem. Proof of it , you can see it popping up on this forum at times , not opinions , confrontational.

And Charlie checked.
There'd be 200 allowed in.

Our young un went to Derby last week and was pelted with a bottle from our own fans. I haven't been away since Stoke promotion game. I like a drink as much as anyone else, but I don't get rowdy or lairy. Just have a drink, watch the match (ish) and go home. I did get refused entry at Brum a few seasons back, but to be fair to the copper he could see I was just merry. Told me to grab a burger, which I did, and they let me in. I didn't show off or owt, just did as asked.

It’s little bit sad when you see the dads in their 50’s trying to be “down with the kids” and look “cool” to their son’s and their assembled friends. But it’s equally sad to see the aforementioned young oikes trying replicate their dads “legendary” misdemeanours back in t’day.

It’s little bit sad when you see the dads in their 50’s trying to be “down with the kids” and look “cool” to their son’s and their assembled friends. But it’s equally sad to see the aforementioned young oikes trying replicate their dads “legendary” misdemeanours back in t’day.
Agreed but there’s a big difference the 70/80s crews only wanted it with like minded opposition fans , innocents rarely got involved, they wasn’t driven by drink or drugs and hardly anybody over the age of 23 got involved.

Think it all
Agreed but there’s a big difference the 70/80s crews only wanted it with like minded opposition fans , innocents rarely got involved, they wasn’t driven by drink or drugs and hardly anybody over the age of 23 got involved.
Yeah I agree, but you can’t help but think there’s an artificial feel to the lairy behaviour today. You’ve only got to look at the concourse shenanigans to see this in all its glory. It’s as though the young un’s are trying replicate what the old fellas got up to in the misty eyed days of yore...But thankfully football has moved on. It’s as though the would be “top boys” have turned up to the party 30 years too late.

Too true wonder how they’d go on if it really turned nasty.

Never understood beer and aggression, it only makes you look like you can’t handle ale and to be fair a bit of a target for blokes who tend to know how to deal with you. I have 4 stages

1-3 pints - happy to be out of house and away from kids
3-6 pints- philosophical and have some form of opinion on all world matters
6-9 pints - giggly like a school girl
Single malts - Turns me on to a kebab hunter

At no point do I need to go toe to toe with some one. I’d rather fancy my chances more sober to be fair
10 plus pints, the local bike starts looking like Jennifer Lawrence.

Two good and one bad experiences from Saturday ,
1 As we left the Queens head about 1 ish I had a piss so was just behind the rest of our group ,going past Turtle Bay 4 lads about 18 shouted where you from ,Sheffield obvs- we're Boro- does your Mum know youre drinking shandy ? - after a few 'fuck offs' they all stood up shouting Boro as my lads started coming back and I told them it was nowt they were only chabbies. Bumped into them about 3 ish and they bought me a Jager ,had a chat about footy great stuff.
2. Coyotes was an accident waiting to happen ,fucking horrible plastic pub plastic glasses ,plenty of cubicles in the bogs ,filled up with about 300 Blades, having a nice chat with prince albert then boom ,the inevitable , brawl at the bar snot and claret all over.
3. Sat in Wetherspoons ,our 6 about 8 ish , nearly all locals ,4 coppers come up to us asking if we are Sheff Utd ,were all thinking here we go and one gets a timetable out telling us all the trains had been cancelled apart from one and telling us, times ,where to go the lot. Brilliant.
There was a huge police presence coming out of the station when we got the last train so I presume something had gone off ,but personally I had a fantastic day.
Probably my favourite away ground ,we always seem to win even Conor sammon once had a blinder ,and the 4-0 in Div 4 was unreal.
And the cheese infused Schnitzel in the town was worth the trip anyway :)

I don’t get to many away games these days, due to my lack loyalty points. But the ones I do manage to get tickets for, I tend to come away from them thinking I haven’t got anything in common with my fellow Blades anymore. I like a drink like the next man, but it seems like away days have become a glorified piss up with a football match attached. This is probably more evident when we play clubs (like Peterborough) who obviously haven’t got the same number of knobheads as we have. Just walking through Peterborough’s reasonably pleasant town centre, you could spot the Blades a mile off. Little mobs of dad and lads, pissed out of their heads staggering around the town square shouting and yawping at bewildered afternoon shoppers.
It just might be my age, but there does seem to be a new yobbish element who travel away with our beloved club.
I don't cause any bother when I'm out, and I know when I have had enough to drink, but when Peterboro came to the lane, I got involved in 3 minor skirmishes. All instigated by them for no other reason than I was a blade. Police told me to back off. Found their fans to be right twats.

Back
Top Bottom