Those who are hopeful of a takeover... careful what you wish for

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ALK were paraded as the new owners in waiting and presented to club officials including the Manager CW at the Southampton game 2 days before Justice Fancourts judgement was read out. KM was to be on the Board with a 15% shareholding retained. This 15% could have related to the Kop site land he owned. We do not know.

ALK had already arranged for their project team of 30 to come into the club and implement a number of changes including a recruitment model. ALK's leveraged buy out relied on the Blades remaining in the EPL for 5 years as the loans they intended to repay in 20% installments were to be covered by TV money.

ALK were extremely confident they would take over at SUFC that even when it was announced PA had won they indicated they were looking to buy the Club off him. It seems KM was of the firm belief PA would sell immediately to the highest bidder and he remained confident he would have a place on the Board. It was reported that KM and PA had met for dinner prior to the outcome of the Hearing, we can only speculate what was said. It was interesting, however that they met again immediately after the judgement which led to KM going to the Daily Fail and ranting about broken agreements.

When a Judgement is made notice is given in advance to each parties legal representatives so that they are equipped to make representations if they see fit. Normally this is at least 48 hours. I still can not fathom how KM did not know what was coming on the Monday morning when he paraded ALK at the Club on the Saturday. His legal representatives would have had a duty to inform him. I can only conclude he was under the delusion PA would cut and run and sell to the highest bidder and that may explain the bitterness and pettiness that followed where he reneged on an agreement to sell the Kop site land some months later.

As the Court heard the deal with ALK was done and dusted with KM having no funds seeking a loan from ALK to pay off the £5 million in the event of the Court finding in his favour.

ALK wasn't a bullet we dodged it was an exocet missile. KM would have been on the Board urging financial restraint and it is very unlikely the level of support CW received from PA would have been forthcoming. Changes to recruitment a key issue between CW and PA would have probably led to his departure much earlier. Remember the first casualty of a KM win would have been Stephen Bettis who had supported PA and was CW's ally at the time. IMO we would not have had the successful first season in the EPL that we did as a consequence.

At Burnley ALK have invested as little as £15 million, loaned £65 million with a clause that forces them to pay it back in full on relegation and they still owe around £40 million to former directors. They are in a sorry state.

The Prince winning was the best outcome for the Club at the time. That doesn't mean to say I haven't concerns about the direction the Club is going in now with the United World vanity project lurking in the back ground and project invisible that has been going on since last November.

The supporters will be the last to know whats going on with regard to a potential sale. KM would have sold us down the river with ALK. We can only hope that PA has more integrity and will at least confirm to us that the Club is up for sale in the coming weeks. Alternatively he could dismiss these rumours and share with us how he intends to achieve the great times ahead that he alludes to.

Heard about this, bought the club for £90m then instantly took that money back from the club. Outrageous

Not all clubs think like Sheffield United,
Contrary to popular belief here, it is actually a good idea to have two or more top class players fighting for the same position.
Newcastle won't be penny pinching either. They'll sign a really good keeper and watch them fight it out

blew 200m on poor buys and a threefold wage bill

But isn’t that called being ambitious?

Most fans want us to keep our highly paid players even though we can’t afford them.

They want us to “go for it” and gambie.

It’s brilliant gambling when it helps you stay up or achieve promotion (like Wolves, Bournemouth, Villa) but what if you gamble and you don’t achieve (Derby and Sheff Wed).

The same Derby and Sheff Wed fans demanding that their clubs show ambition are now accusing their owners of being poor irresponsible owners.

well we got relegated and blew 200m on poor buys and a threefold wage bill
so we only just scraped a profit so arent coming out too rosy
relegation is very expensive but burnley are also due parachute payments
they have saleable players who can get a tidy sum maybe 40m for their centre back
So, we would have had those things, plus we'd be paying back the owners £65m . Good point.

But isn’t that called being ambitious?

Most fans want us to keep our highly paid players even though we can’t afford them.

They want us to “go for it” and gambie.

It’s brilliant gambling when it helps you stay up or achieve promotion (like Wolves, Bournemouth, Villa) but what if you gamble and you don’t achieve (Derby and Sheff Wed).

The same Derby and Sheff Wed fans demanding that their clubs show ambition are now accusing their owners of being poor irresponsible owners.

So Mester “Big Chan” Chansiri isn’t popular again now everyone in English football - apart from the big six obviously - has conspired against them yet again?

I am still sure that if McCabe had won the case then the ALK deal would have “fallen through“ at the last minute, I say this as I don’t believe Kevin McCabe would have willingly given up control of this club to anyone.

I am still sure that if McCabe had won the case then the ALK deal would have “fallen through“ at the last minute, I say this as I don’t believe Kevin McCabe would have willingly given up control of this club to anyone.
He wanted money and the only way to achieve that is to give up at least 50%

So the basic point of this thread
Is
McCabe was crap
The Prince is crap
And any deal being proposed is crap

We’ll that’s helpful

Thanks guys

Any ideas which alternative isn’t crap

Or maybe you know some other way of being on the brink of returning to the premiership and making a go of it, in a sustainable successful way ???

Neither used their own money to buy the clubs, both clubs are now in debt & call the purchase whatever you want the result is the same, both in more debt now than before the purchase, with neither new owner using there own money 🤷‍♂️

Burnley are in debt so are we, a debt where interest is charged, and will have to be repaid at some point, you tell me how that’s different?
Our owner didn’t purchase the club with that debt, he bought it with his own money so it’s not at all the same. He’s also put in a decent amount over the years, again of his own money.
We do have a debt for the purchase of the ground, which the club didn’t own and has been purchased back for us and returned to our ownership. It’s now an asset we didn’t have before.

I’m still not seeing your similarity to Burnley being bought with money borrowed against the club with no money put in?

Neither used their own money to buy the clubs, both clubs are now in debt & call the purchase whatever you want the result is the same, both in more debt now than before the purchase, with neither new owner using there own money 🤷‍♂️
Found the issue.
Your opening line in your last post is untrue, in fact aside from the statement that we have some debt, I think the entire post is untrue. He didn’t use debt to buy the club.

Last edited:

His judgement in such matters has been shown to be flawed...

But it’s an imponderable. Even the best intentions can lead to bad outcomes.

HRH used his own money to buy the other 50% club via share purchase. Just like he did with his own 50%. He has then invested further funds in the form of a share allotment.

The club has more debt but it also now owns the ground. It had debt to Scarborough indirectly which was effectively repaid by the ground being taken out of the fc to what was the PLC.

At the date of the last accounts, the balance sheet was positive. The first time for may years. The Prince coming onboard also resulted in £28m of debt being written of entirely as part of the deal.

HRH hasn’t taken anything out or used the clubs money to buy the shares.

What is the same is both will have funding issues in the future. We may be up Shits Creek without a paddle but unlike Burnley, our boat hasnt yet sprung a leak to the tune of possibly having to repay up to £50m inside two years and possibly still owing money to previous owners.

It’s not a great leap of faith to suggest any ALK deal with United would have left us in a far worse position. In fact l’m pretty sure the Prince has put more cash into United than ALK have into Burnley.

But you are biased against our current owner.

Did use his money
Bought assets that now belong to the club and have a sale value
Ours is secured debt, theirs isn’t
Our owner, again used his own money

Apart from that, identical

HRH used his own money to buy the other 50% club via share purchase. Just like he did with his own 50%. He has then invested further funds in the form of a share allotment.

The club has more debt but it also now owns the ground. It had debt to Scarborough indirectly which was effectively repaid by the ground being taken out of the fc to what was the PLC.

At the date of the last accounts, the balance sheet was positive. The first time for may years. The Prince coming onboard also resulted in £28m of debt being written of entirely as part of the deal.

What is the same is both will have funding issues in the future. We may be up Shits Creek without a paddle but unlike Burnley, our boat hasnt yet sprung a leak to the tune of possibly having to repay up to £50m inside two years and possibly still owing money to previous owners.

It’s not a great leap of faith to suggest any ALK deal with United would have left us in a far worse position. In fact l’m pretty sure the Prince has put more cash into United than ALK have into Burnley.

Plenty of facts indicate our current owner has got a fair few things wrong and is definitely a little naive.

Zero facts show he tried to give up his share to a company for whom on pitch failure could well result in the club going into administration

No I am not biased against the Prince. I'm just saying that whichever way you look at either purchase the result is the same a debt that needs servicing. I actually think he's decent I just wish he had some actual dosh. I would rather the Prince own us than Mcabe's ALK but the result is the same, the amounts differ and interest rates but thats it.

Did use his money
Bought assets that now belong to the club and have a sale value
Ours is secured debt, theirs isn’t
Our owner, again used his own money

Apart from that, identical
Still a debt with interest charged and needs repaying so in that respect identical....

He invested further funds with a share allotment???? Did any actually money hit the Blades bank account ??

Still a debt with interest charged and needs repaying so in that respect identical....

No. Because of how the financing is done. It’s not identical at all. Up to April this year they hadn’t even paid the previous owners off and had to reschedule. Knowing what was 100% waiting for them following relegation and then a failure to go straight back up sacking Dyche was a panic move. (Of course, no guarantee he would have kept them up but they went for a cheap option)

So a personal, unsecured loan is the same as a mortgage? Riiiiiiiight 😂
Both need an income to service the debt & if you don’t you’ll be in trouble. If you default on an unsecured loan and have other assets you will pay Carlton believe me or assets will be seized by the Courts 👍

No. Because of how the financing is done. It’s not identical at all. Up to April this year they hadn’t even paid the previous owners off and had to reschedule. Knowing what was 100% waiting for them following relegation and then a failure to go straight back up sacking Dyche was a panic move. (Of course, no guarantee he would have kept them up but they went for a cheap option)
I’m not talking about the ins and outs I haven’t got a clue, but both clubs now have debts they didn’t have and both debts need servicing !

Back
Top Bottom