Those who are hopeful of a takeover... careful what you wish for

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There is a balance (no pun intended). We all want on field success but I also want my club to survive for my kids and grandkids. If the owners, whoever they are, run the club in such a way that we go out of business then we should be scared of that. Equally if they run it in a way that makes profit but never offers any chance of success then that isn’t good stewardship either. The irony for me is that some of the biggest critics of the prince and his stewardship were people who wanted Kevin McCabe to win the court case and forget that this is exactly what he was doing when he was in sole charge.

There is a balance (no pun intended). We all want on field success but I also want my club to survive for my kids and grandkids. If the owners, whoever they are, run the club in such a way that we go out of business then we should be scared of that. Equally if they run it in a way that makes profit but never offers any chance of success then that isn’t good stewardship either. The irony for me is that some of the biggest critics of the prince and his stewardship were people who wanted Kevin McCabe to win the court case and forget that this is exactly what he was doing when he was in sole charge.
Totally agreed with the above, I for one want to keep watching the blades in however many years time. You just have to look at Bury and Macclesfield to see how much footballing history can go in the click of a fingers due to poor ownership

These deals that involve using the club to buy itself with loans stink.
Obviously legal, but very unhealthy for the club, the sport and the leagues.
The rules need tightening to ensure purchases are happening with actual funds so that the club ownership is setting off on the right foot.

Only what the Glazers did, was laughable.

Club worth 750m.... ok I'll get a loan for 750m secured against the club which is hugely profitable and cream the weekly profits each year, whilst owning a growing business.

15 years later worth 5x what they paid.

What was to stop Joe Public actually doing the same?

These deals that involve using the club to buy itself with loans stink.
Obviously legal, but very unhealthy for the club, the sport and the leagues.
The rules need tightening to ensure purchases are happening with actual funds so that the club ownership is setting off on the right foot.

Hopefully coming to an end soon;

Only what the Glazers did, was laughable.

Club worth 750m.... ok I'll get a loan for 750m secured against the club which is hugely profitable and cream the weekly profits each year, whilst owning a growing business.

15 years later worth 5x what they paid.

What was to stop Joe Public actually doing the same?
I'll ask my bank for a 750 million loan and get back to you

Think we're lucky to have the owner we do. He's backed his managers with cash and goodwill. A huge upgrade on the previous owner who screwed us and still does with his vindictive and petty land grabs.
Agree but unfortunately there’s a simple formula regards running a club.

You could be a genuine very savvy owner who follows the step by step guide regards how to treat fans with respect and be the best owner in the world. The reality is if his team are struggling in the bottom half then the owner is crap.

Conversely you could have dumb and dumber running the club who treat fans terribly but if that club gains promotion then these owners would be classed as the best.

Coventry are a typical example. When they were struggling it was they have the worse owner as ever, sack the board. Then they gained promotion and all of a sudden their owners aren’t too bad after all. If they get relegated this season there will be random demonstrations again against their board.

So ability and attitude of an owner is irrelevant these days. The bottom line with most fans is results. I don’t agree and even if we were relegated last season I’d still appreciate the owner for showing some ambition .

Back
Top Bottom