Those who are hopeful of a takeover... careful what you wish for

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ThatJa

Bigger Blade than United's Arab Emirate
Reaction score
Before December 2020 takeover Burnley had:

£42m in the bank (at y/e 30 June 2019)
Category 1 Academy
Sean Dyche
Premier League football

Now:

£102m debt
Academy set to be downgraded
Big portion of £65m to be repaid
No permanent boss
Championship Football

May I remind people these are the owners that Kevin McCabe would have sold us to, if he won the court battle.

Category 1 Academy
Sean Dyche
Premier League football

Now:

£102m debt
No permanent boss
Championship Football

May I remind people these are the owners that Kevin McCabe would have sold us to, if he won the court battle.
So in 18 months that has happened? Remarkable stuff.

Close shave. Thanks McCabe.

Category 1 Academy
Sean Dyche
Premier League football

Now:

£102m debt
No permanent boss
Championship Football

Is it an actual fact that's what would have happened?

well we got relegated and blew 200m on poor buys and a threefold wage bill
so we only just scraped a profit so arent coming out too rosy
relegation is very expensive but burnley are also due parachute payments
they have saleable players who can get a tidy sum maybe 40m for their centre back

If it walks like a duck etc etc etc

That's very true.

I lack the intelligence or intellect to even begin to understand how the world of high finance works. But I'd like to think I know just about enough to figure out when you're told someone is "worth" a certain amount of cash, they're not sat at home doing a Scrooge McDuck and diving into a huge pile of cash.

These types of people are usually good at promising money that doesn't exist, again all a bit Crab Industries.....

That's very true.

I lack the intelligence or intellect to even begin to understand how the world of high finance works. But I'd like to think I know just about enough to figure out when you're told someone is "worth" a certain amount of cash, they're not sat at home doing a Scrooge McDuck and diving into a huge pile of cash.

These types of people are usually good at promising money that doesn't exist, again all a bit Crab Industries.....
‘Ang on, “crab Industries” …… fish based business, “don’t know how high finance works”, “huge piles of cash”,…….. Crab Industries don’t own……. pork based products do they?

In the interest of balance depending on how far you believe the deal got/would've got, wasn't Prince also going to sell us to a leveraged buyout?

That's very true.

Same Mission Statement “We are taking your cash. Now fuck off”

we could have got their owners but they could have stayed up too if leeds lost
leeds played 9 men at the end of the game thats the luck you need rather than who runs you

I’m changing “think” to “know”.

That's very true.

The main thing to look for IMHO is how the takeover is financed. Most of them are financed on outside debt that is put on the clubs balance sheet so the new owners arent necessarily putting their hands in their own pockets.

The exceptions tend to be the genuinely wealthy owners like those at City, Chelsea, PSG and a few others.

Ultimately every club with the exception of those like the 3 above have to have a revenue stream that can service the debt and the ongoing costs. That's why when sides get relegated from the premier league the proverbial hits the fan as the revenue plummets.

we were associated with around 10 takeovers during mccabes later years none got past speculation until he made the mistake of giving half of it away

The main thing to look for IMHO is how the takeover is financed. Most of them are financed on outside debt that is put on the clubs balance sheet so the new owners arent necessarily putting their hands in their own pockets.

The exceptions tend to be the genuinely wealthy owners like those at City, Chelsea, PSG and a few others.

Ultimately every club with the exception of those like the 3 above have to have a revenue stream that can service the debt and the ongoing costs. That's why when sides get relegated from the premier league the proverbial hits the fan as the revenue plummets.

Purely - as far as the PL goes - in the hope of dividends. IE The Glazers. Okay when the going is good/goodish. And they wouldn’t have done so well if they’d ended up in the GT Nomads Regional Eurovision Conference League playing some Maltese team.

well we got relegated and blew 200m on poor buys and a threefold wage bill
so we only just scraped a profit so arent coming out too rosy
relegation is very expensive but burnley are also due parachute payments
they have saleable players who can get a tidy sum maybe 40m for their centre back
Tarkowski is out of contract

we were associated with around 10 takeovers during mccabes later years none got past speculation until he made the mistake of giving half of it away

He bought you a pint one day, we know…..

He had no choice, he couldn’t fund it himself anymore after the Aussie deal went tits up.

It was a crazy deal, the previous owners sold to an American consortium who it seems in reality had little money, they used the clubs money to buy the club from the previous owners and also borrowed money against the clubs income
It’s ok to a point if they stay in the PL, with all the massive income streams but relegation is potentially a disaster

Purely - as far as the PL goes - in the hope of dividends. IE The Glazers. Okay when the going is good/goodish. And they wouldn’t have done so well if they’d ended up in the GT Nomads Regional Eurovision Conference League playing some Maltese team.
Exactly take the divs generated by the P.L. cashflow for as long as u can then f off leaving the club with all the debt

Back
Top Bottom