The Pitsmoor pig at it again ......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This oft used comment is false and it rankles, especially when our own supporters come out with it.

Billy is not average. He's scored more fucking goals than anyone else this century (or will have soon).

JOC is not average. He will be playing in the Prem very soon. If not with us it will be elsewhere. He will also be contending for an England spot.

Fleck is not average. He would be a Scotland regular if it were not for his past history with McCoist. The likes of Bannan wouldn't get a sniff.

Norwood is not average. He is Premiership quality and probably the Championship's signing of the season.

Henderson is not average. He will be playing for England one day.

Basham is not average. He is the most underrated player in the Championship.

Stevens is not average. He is an Irish International footballer.

I could make a case for a couple more but to call United an average squad is an insult and a fucking joke.

Have yourself a like Sir

Why would anyone or any blades man be bothered what a ex man city fan ex jailbird trumped up pig fan finks yea .first class tool .

This oft used comment is false and it rankles, especially when our own supporters come out with it.

Billy is not average. He's scored more fucking goals than anyone else this century (or will have soon).

JOC is not average. He will be playing in the Prem very soon. If not with us it will be elsewhere. He will also be contending for an England spot.

Fleck is not average. He would be a Scotland regular if it were not for his past history with McCoist. The likes of Bannan wouldn't get a sniff.

Norwood is not average. He is Premiership quality and probably the Championship's signing of the season.

I could make a case for a couple more but to call United an average squad is an insult and a fucking joke.

Basham, Sharp, Stevens, Lafferty, Woodburn, Cranie and Stearman have all played in the Premier League so they can't be that bad.

And Fleck has played in the Champions League.

Also to be fair to Mark from Pitsmoor, other Wednesdayites and other fans through out the Championship it’s a really good question.

‘Why are Sheffield United so good when they have in theory, at best, a squad of average Championship players”

It makes no sense, many guess we must work really really hard (as though players at other clubs don’t work hard).
Other theories are we’ve been lucky or every single player is performing at their absolute maximum and it can’t last.
I’ve thought about it and my theory is that Wilder has chosen a system and coached every player how to play that system.
So our tactics that we use almost every match home and away are second nature to every player. We’re just a really consistent very well drilled team unit and in a league system, “consistency of performance” can take you far.

Of course we do have good players who are all comfortable on the ball and able to play a simple short passing game. Also Wilder is hard but fair. He’s always said “play well and that player stays in the team”, even if it means more talented players are sat on the bench, this ensures no player can rest on their laurels and they always play with a committed positive attitude.
obviously because they arent ’’average championship players’
how many internationals .. five?
plus couttsy and flecky were scotland juniors and should be in the team tbf

amen bro
everywhere i go all people want to talk about is billy sharp (and tc of course)

obviously because they arent ’’average championship players’
how many internationals .. five?
plus couttsy and flecky were scotland juniors and should be in the team tbf

Internationals is misleading, even clubs in league 1 and 2 have internationals these days.
Egan and Stevens are onlty on the fringes on the national team.

Also you’re making the same mistake as others.
Good players don’t mean you have a good team. Bad players don’t mean you have a bad team.
It is possible (but really difficult) that average/ good players can blend to make a fantastic team that wins matches.

Almost every player we’ve bought were previously no better than average at their former clubs.
Our record signing Egan was 4th choice centre back at Brentford.
Our best player Norwood couldn’t even get in the Fulham team, he was always sub in the 2nd half of the season.
Fleck was considered only decent league 1 standard by Coventry fans.
Basham and Coutts were very ordinary when they joined us, not rated by fans of their former clubs.
Stevens was a very good league 2 player when he joined.
Even Duffy, who I rate more than Norwood wasn’t rated at his former club and when he joined he looked ordinary.

So how come these players have been, at best, average most of their careers but now look like world beaters?
It’s because Wilder is playing to their strengths and they all know their roles (so they become confident and consistent) within a powerful system of playing. I’m convinced if many of our players went to other clubs they wouldn’t be anywhere near as impressive.

It’s not a criticism of the players, far from it, they have been great and i’ll never forget what they’ve done.
It’s more of a praise for Wilder, as Colin Murray said the other day “Chris Wilder isn’t turning water into wine, he’s actually turning water into champagne”. That classic quote deserves to be printed on a t-shirt.

Last edited:
Internationals is misleading, even clubs in league 1 and 2 have internationals these days.

Good players don’t mean you have a good team. Bad players don’t mean you have a bad team.
It is possible (but really difficult) that average/ good players can blend to make a fantastic team that wins matches.

Almost every player we’ve bought were previously no better than average at their former clubs.
Our best player Norwood couldn’t even get in the Fulham team, he was always sub in the 2nd half of the season.
Basham and Coutts were very ordinary when they joined us, not rated by fans of their former clubs.
Even Duffy, who I rate more than Norwood wasn’t rated at his former club and when he joined he looked ordinary.

So how come these players have been, at best, average most of their careers but now look like world beaters?
It’s because Wilder is playing to their strengths and they all know their roles (so they become confident and consistent) within a powerful system of playing. I’m convinced if many of our players went to other clubs they wouldn’t be anywhere near as impressive.

It’s not a criticism of the players, far from it, they have been great and i’ll never forget what they’ve done.
It’s more of a praise for Wilder, as Colin Murray said the other day “Chris Wilder isn’t turning water into wine, he’s actually turning water into champagne”. That classic quote deserves to be printed on a t-shirt.
But aren't you judging players by taking a fixed point in their careers and leaving it there? For example, you say Egan was 4th choice at Brentford, therefore he is an average player made to a better player by Wilder, but why is he not a great player made into an average player by the Brentford manager/team? Why can't players who've joined us from lower league clubs have become better - why do they have to stay as lower league players playing like championship players just because of Wilder?
In the same way that Wednesdayites judge their players according to a fixed standard, i.e. the sum of money paid for them, no matter how badly they play or how it isn't working out (and how little they will now get for them), you're doing the same in the opposite direction.

I’d take Fletcher - always liked him - if his attitude was right and his wage demands dropped. Think he’d fit in really well with our setup. Bannan is decent but he’d struggle to break into our eleven. Reach has scored a few decent goals this year but goes missing regularly - could backup Stevens for LWB. Struggling big time from there. Hooper if fit?

Players fit in at some clubs but don't at others. It's down to many factors . Players around them tactics team formation. Leon Britton star at Swansea never looked at home here. Just wasn't suited to the set up here at that time. A lot of our current players play well here as they fit in to the way we play. And they all like each other. Part of what's wrong at S6 is they don't play a system the players like and there is obvious friction among players. Some are feigning injury to avoid playing with others.part of our current success is our unity.

know worra mean like....fing is reyt....know worra mean

no we dont because you can't string a coherrent sentence together you fucking moron

Since we’ve been in the ascendency, Mark’s calls have become increasingly fraught. He’s struggled increasingly firstly to understand that we’re better than they are, now he’s just about grasped that, he’s very slowly coming round to accepting it.

His recent calls sound like therapy to me. The ones where he talks about their players v ours and how can ours be better because theirs cost more are a delight. He works himself into an impotent rage and must have sleepless nights.

I also like the way he still bends the knee to Mester Chanseeeri, despite all the evidence that he’s set the club back years.

Football is littered with players who have failed to reach their full potential. Mostly it's down to crap managers who play them out of position, use a system that doesn't suit them or turn them into square pegs in round holes. CW inherited a squad which did look 'average' but that was down to Adkins and Clough. It's no coincidence that Coutts, Duffy, Basham etc. have been totally transformed since Chris took charge. And it's no coincidence that Rhodes has hit a brick wall since going to Hillsborough but has miraculously re-discovered his form under a different manager. As for recruitment, Chris does due diligence on a players' attitude, fitness and past record to make sure - insofar as is possible - that they will fit in. Players like Hooper, Fletcher and Boyd wouldn't get through the door at United.

All this talk about 'Plucky lil ol' Sheffield United' is insulting and plays into the hands of Wednesday and certain sections of the media.

Since we’ve been in the ascendency, Mark’s calls have become increasingly fraught. He’s struggled increasingly firstly to understand that we’re better than they are, now he’s just about grasped that, he’s very slowly coming round to accepting it.

His recent calls sound like therapy to me. The ones where he talks about their players v ours and how can ours be better because theirs cost more are a delight. He works himself into an impotent rage and must have sleepless nights.

I also like the way he still bends the knee to Mester Chanseeeri, despite all the evidence that he’s set the club back years.

'Football Heaven' has been taken over by whingeing pigs this week but if fans of other clubs complain, they get told 'well, give us a call'. I can't believe that Radio Sheffield are so hard up for callers that they have people like Mark (and Brian 'The Blade') on speed dial. When they get through to the RS switchboard, they should be told 'Not you again! We've heard it all before. Now fuck off.'

Mark obviously lives for 6 O'Clock so he can vent his spleen that's been building up all day. Wednesday should realise that Chansiri sees Wendy as his 'vanity project' and is utterly clueless about football. Yes, he's realised that Wendy fans can be 'bought' by splashing the cash and he knows that the 'duffers in blazers' in charge in English football are inept and can be manipulated. But what he doesn't get is the vital part of employing a way-above-average manager who pulls it all together. George Boyd or Pochettino (ca. £7m p.a. each). Tough choice.

'Football Heaven' has been taken over by whingeing pigs this week but if fans of other clubs complain, they get told 'well, give us a call'. I can't believe that Radio Sheffield are so hard up for callers that they have people like Mark (and Brian 'The Blade') on speed dial. When they get through to the RS switchboard, they should be told 'Not you again! We've heard it all before. Now fuck off.'.

I'm not sure about the phone system that's used at the BBC, but in the radio station I work at, it stores the number of the inbound caller, so it'll flag up if and when they call again. Therefore, if we get an abusive caller, we can effectively screen what's coming in before we even think about putting them to air.

Therefore, it shouldn't take a genius of a producer or tech op to be able to make an executive decision and think "no...they're not going on the show tonight".

Also...haven't the BBC heard of using a 7 second delay on live phone in's? The amount of times I hear the C and F bomb dropped on P&G and FH makes me wonder why they've never got round to using one...after all, they've been common place in radio studios for years...

I'm not sure about the phone system that's used at the BBC, but in the radio station I work at, it stores the number of the inbound caller, so it'll flag up if and when they call again. Therefore, if we get an abusive caller, we can effectively screen what's coming in before we even think about putting them to air.

Therefore, it shouldn't take a genius of a producer or tech op to be able to make an executive decision and think "no...they're not going on the show tonight".

Also...haven't the BBC heard of using a 7 second delay on live phone in's? The amount of times I hear the C and F bomb dropped on P&G and FH makes me wonder why they've never got round to using one...after all, they've been common place in radio studios for years...

I might be wrong but I think Brian the Blade and Mick the Rawmarsh Owl (I think?) were "special guests" pre the derby at the Lane last season. When I turned it on it was absolutely awful so just switched to something else.

Characters like these two (plus 2-1 Ken, Pitsmoor Pig, Brian the Miller etc.) are seen by the producers as great radio, as they're always good for a controversial opinion or two.

What they don't realise is that most right-minded football fans think they're a bit of a joke, and often used purely as cannon fodder by the rivals. I've lost count of how many times Wendy mates have quoted Brian the Blade at me.

That's nonsense, as others have pointed out you've just stated their status at a fixed point in their career. Some had much more success before those points in time, others may have been unlucky to find themselves in the position they did or simply not settled at that particular club. More significantly, all the players you've named there were under 26 when we signed them, so it stands to reason that they were only going one way in their careers and have improved since, particularly under good management (apart from Duffy but he played his whole career in the wrong position).

On a similar subject of nutters phoning in...I've just seen on telly about those idiots who ring 999 for an ambulance. It appears that - in the last year - over 8,300 calls have been made by the same five people!

They had a recording of a bird who had rang the ambulance service asking if it was OK to leave a box of eggs in the fridge with the lid open. I'd last about 30 seconds in that job.

On a similar subject of nutters phoning in...I've just seen on telly about those idiots who ring 999 for an ambulance. It appears that - in the last year - over 8,300 calls have been made by the same five people!

They had a recording of a bird who had rang the ambulance service asking if it was OK to leave a box of eggs in the fridge with the lid open. I'd last about 30 seconds in that job.
Why ? Just google it ,Im sure its fine you could tell her ;)

perhaps they were underperforming and chris spotted their potential..ok so they’re ‘only’fringe internationals.. still suggests they aren't the mugs the s6 would have you believe?

My favourite ever Mark call was when he said "I saw Mr .Chsnsiri at the ground on Saturday....I was gonna have a go at him about the ticket prices.....but in the end I just went up, shook his hand and said "thank you"

My favourite ever Mark call was when he said "I saw Mr .Chsnsiri at the ground on Saturday....I was gonna have a go at him about the ticket prices.....but in the end I just went up, shook his hand and said "thank you"
I heard that one too :D:D

The world's most famous part time taxi driver was also on last night. In his usual faux oh-so-reasonable way, he berated a Blade who'd texted in pointing out SWFC had done nothing to ban the idiot who abused BS's son.

Mad Mick launched into a "typical underhand devious Blades attacking our great club" rant then of course condemmened the tweet and everybody who used social media. After all why do you have to waste time tweeting, when you have your own personal radio station to expound your agenda and impart wisdom to the uneducated masses.

He hates us with a passion mate. Over the years the bulk of his calls have been to have a pop at United. He’d start a call off talking about his own shower and then it’d be ‘can I just say...’ and he’d be comparing attendances, owners, players trophies or whatever he could to have dig and put us down usually to deflect from something. Us doing better than them again is wrecking him.

So now he’s suddenly become fair minded and even likes both Sheffield teams to do well...haha BULLSHIT, he’s just run out of ideas. :D

I agree mate that he has slagged us off, I'm just saying that he does give us credit of late. Don't care either way but I love to listen to him whinge when Wednesday lose!

Why chuck three rusty spanners in a well oiled machine?

Just being honest Grumpy that I think they'd improve us. I'm not looking it at any other angle or the reality of Forestieri's attitude which would is questionable, I'm just looking at player ability.

I agree mate that he has slagged us off, I'm just saying that he does give us credit of late. Don't care either way but I love to listen to him whinge when Wednesday lose!

Just being honest Grumpy that I think they'd improve us. I'm not looking it at any other angle or the reality of Forestieri's attitude which would is questionable, I'm just looking at player ability.
Foristieri doesn't seem like the most effective player does he ?
I don't know his stats but even on games played his assists and goals scored must be pretty low

Like a Poundland neymar he just seems obsessed with trying to win cheap free kicks

the fact that we have seen 4 more doubles , irrelevant
the fact theyve only see one double in 100 years irrelevant
the fact theyve not finished above us when together in the championship since 1958 , meaningless to them

Keep telling you son, never in my lifetime. ;)

the fact that we have seen 4 more doubles , irrelevant
the fact theyve only see one double in 100 years irrelevant
the fact theyve not finished above us when together in the championship since 1958 , meaningless to them

Keep telling you son, never in my lifetime. ;)
They haven't averaged 30000 attendance in 50 years:D

My favourite call was when he rang in and said Wendy were far bigger (the usual bollocky stuff). Then his ‘brother’ Luke phones up to say the same stuff from a Man City point of view. When a Blade rung in to say ‘that was clearly Mark posing as his own brother’, Mark then phoned back up to convince anyone listening that it wasn’t him. Mans got issues.

My favourite call was when he rang in and said Wendy were far bigger (the usual bollocky stuff). Then his ‘brother’ Luke phones up to say the same stuff from a Man City point of view. When a Blade rung in to say ‘that was clearly Mark posing as his own brother’, Mark then phoned back up to convince anyone listening that it wasn’t him. Mans got issues.

That was amazing. He didn't even bother to change his accent

Back
Top Bottom