The Pitsmoor pig at it again ......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I heard his call and to be fair you're focusing on the one thing he said that was rubbish but he does regularly compliment United and give us credit.

As for the combined team (taking my red and white spectacles off)

1 Henderson
2 Freeman
3 Reach - No one can tell me he wouldn't be a decent addition with the attacking threat he gives Wednesday
4 Egan
5 O'Connell
6 Basham
7 Norwood
8 Fleck
9 Sharp
10 Joao - if playing well and Wilder would get the best our of him
11 Forestieri - if fit and on form he's an upgrade on Duffy. Its his personality that's the issue though and Wilder wouldn't have the tantrums.

Essentially its our team but with Reach at LWB, Forestieri at the hole and Joao instead of McGoldrick or Leon.

With the quality that Wednesday have they should be doing better but their manager is average at best. Overall even allowing for the fact we've got Wilder, I think our squad is better than theirs by some distance, minus the above exceptions.

Why chuck three rusty spanners in a well oiled machine?

I had never realised that - thanks for pointing it out .

From the same root as to 'shoo' something away by waving your arms , apparently.
Racing term, you shoo a horse (direct it) towards the stables (or wherever you want it to go) so the inference is that it’s so easy for the horse to win you just have to shoo it towards the finishing line.

Wouldn’t take any of there rejects ,
Watch the bouncing day massacre again they were at full strength with only one player missing, the fairy ,
Our pub team players nobody watching the galacticos has heard of , only playing with pashun , and who’d spent nowt
Would be found out in La liga , playing satdi / Tuesday was a different animal then 6 years after we were last in it ,
I’d take none of there overpaid shite , it would destroy our dressing room harmony and our unity
Even there youngsters in the team are shite
Clubs a fucking joke , so are there players

Watch the second goal before it's "hoofed" forward. Which scoitish twat misses a chance to intercept. Oh aye the mr irn bru himself. Bazza

”The proof is in the pudding.”
No, it fucking isn’t.
“The proof of the pudding is in the eating.”
There you go. :D
That’s just a shortening. It’s essentially the same thing, but a slightly annoying Americanism.

‘All mouth and no trousers’. Means fuck all.
The proper saying (I remember reading it at school and the English teacher explaining it) is ‘all mouth and trousers’. It goes back to the days when men wore pleated trou and a good tailor could make them look like you had impressive tackle. The meaning there is very clear. I guess the Yorkshire equivalent would be something like ‘big gob, small cock’.

I heard his call and to be fair you're focusing on the one thing he said that was rubbish but he does regularly compliment United and give us credit.

As for the combined team (taking my red and white spectacles off)

1 Henderson
2 Freeman
3 Reach - No one can tell me he wouldn't be a decent addition with the attacking threat he gives Wednesday
4 Egan
5 O'Connell
6 Basham
7 Norwood
8 Fleck
9 Sharp
10 Joao - if playing well and Wilder would get the best our of him
11 Forestieri - if fit and on form he's an upgrade on Duffy. Its his personality that's the issue though and Wilder wouldn't have the tantrums.

Essentially its our team but with Reach at LWB, Forestieri at the hole and Joao instead of McGoldrick or Leon.

With the quality that Wednesday have they should be doing better but their manager is average at best. Overall even allowing for the fact we've got Wilder, I think our squad is better than theirs by some distance, minus the above exceptions.
He hates us with a passion mate. Over the years the bulk of his calls have been to have a pop at United. He’d start a call off talking about his own shower and then it’d be ‘can I just say...’ and he’d be comparing attendances, owners, players trophies or whatever he could to have dig and put us down usually to deflect from something. Us doing better than them again is wrecking him.

So now he’s suddenly become fair minded and even likes both Sheffield teams to do well...haha BULLSHIT, he’s just run out of ideas. :D

He hates us with a passion mate. Over the years the bulk of his calls have been to have a pop at United. He’d start a call off talking about his own shower and then it’d be ‘can I just say...’ and he’d be comparing attendances, owners, players trophies or whatever he could to have dig and put us down usually to deflect from something. Us doing better than them again is wrecking him.

So now he’s suddenly become fair minded and even likes both Sheffield teams to do well...haha BULLSHIT, he’s just run out of ideas. :D
having 5 seasons in a league above us just cemented their belief that they are a far bigger club than us

facts like theyd spent the previous 10 behind us and subsequently the past 18 months the rest of time ahead are throwing their beliefs into mayhem
they constantly cherry pick the good days from history
pushed to explain their supreiority they answer , boxing day the fa cup semi and the double in 2008
theres nothing else

the fact that we have seen 4 more doubles , irrelevant
the fact theyve only see one double in 100 years irrelevant
the fact theyve not finished above us when together in the championship since 1958 , meaningless to them

having 5 seasons in a league above us just cemented their belief that they are a far bigger club than us

facts like theyd spent the previous 10 behind us and subsequently the past 18 months the rest of time ahead are throwing their beliefs into mayhem
they constantly cherry pick the good days from history
pushed to explain their supreiority they answer , boxing day the fa cup semi and the double in 2008
theres nothing else

the fact that we have seen 4 more doubles , irrelevant
the fact theyve only see one double in 100 years irrelevant
the fact theyve not finished above us when together in the championship since 1958 , meaningless to them
Spot on there pal!

The upshot to all of this is that at the start of last season the pigs could justifiably say they had the better squad man for man; we were ex-L1 and they'd just come off the play-offs. But the present situation is demonstrated by them being an utter fucking shambles and us flying. So we are now the better team man for man. The paradox in all this is that both have basically the same team give or take a couple of positions. OK, we've got Wilder to our advantage but he is the catalyst, not the man doing it on the pitch.

So where does this leave us? The conclusion is that the so called "La Liga" of 2-3 years ago was nothing of the sort and the pigs were bluffing it all along. Your Bannans and Forest Fairies were probably just as much overrated then as they are now and their team was and is another set of Championship plodders. It took us to come along and to expose them as being the bullshitters that they are and always have been.

These type of conversations/ comparisons are fun but in reality difficult to give a proper judgement.

I think that Wednesday (and at least 10 other teams in this league) have more talented individuals than us.
But individual talent is a big red herring and not that relevant and i’ll give some examples.

Ben Woodburn is rated as a real talent and probably better than what we have BUT his talent is irrelevant
Because his style doesn’t currently fit our system. Also his attitude seems to lacking as though he’s not trying.

Paul Scoles was a brillliant midfielder but his position was filled in the England team. So the managers always tried to shoe horn him into the team and play him out of position (on the left wing). So this talented player was pretty rubbish when playing for England.

Lampard and Gerard were linch pins of the midfield at their clubs. Great players so both played in the same England team.
But you can’t have 2 linch pins in the same side, their styles collided and both were often pretty poor.

The importance factor is that team style/ formation/ culture/ attitude tends to be underrated by fans.
And buying individual talents to improve is team is overrated by fans.

In reality virtually no Wednesday players would get in out starting 11. However I really believe that apart from maybe Henderson and Norwood if any of our players went to Wednesday initially they would look very average.

Have you infiltrated Porktalk? Someone with the same username has posted this exact same comment nearly word for word and reading their previous comments it sounds as though they’re a Wednesday fan (or that’s how they’re trying to sound, if you get my meaning) o_O

Have you infiltrated Porktalk? Someone with the same username has posted this exact same comment nearly word for word and reading their previous comments it sounds as though they’re a Wednesday fan (or that’s how they’re trying to sound, if you get my meaning) o_O

I try to be fairly neutral and respectful when I go on there, which isn’t that often.
My brother is a Wednesday season ticket. We’re both in our 50’s and have mellowed over the years with the rivalry
So we do have some sensible conversations about the merits of both teams.
I visit him every now and then and we update each other about our teams.
He thinks Wednesday do have potential and do tend to play well for 20 minutes or sometimes a full half
But the rest of the time they can be quite poor, he blames their manager for their inconsistency and is concerned about Chansiri too.

Also to be fair to Mark from Pitsmoor, other Wednesdayites and other fans through out the Championship it’s a really good question.

‘Why are Sheffield United so good when they have in theory, at best, a squad of average Championship players”

It makes no sense, many guess we must work really really hard (as though players at other clubs don’t work hard).
Other theories are we’ve been lucky or every single player is performing at their absolute maximum and it can’t last.
I’ve thought about it and my theory is that Wilder has chosen a system and coached every player how to play that system.
So our tactics that we use almost every match home and away are second nature to every player. We’re just a really consistent very well drilled team unit and in a league system, “consistency of performance” can take you far.

Of course we do have good players who are all comfortable on the ball and able to play a simple short passing game. Also Wilder is hard but fair. He’s always said “play well and that player stays in the team”, even if it means more talented players are sat on the bench, this ensures no player can rest on their laurels and they always play with a committed positive attitude.

Last edited:
Thinking as impartiality as I can but I can’t see who makes it to our team.

Keeper - given they won’t even pick their best keeper, Henderson easily.

Fullback. Freeman vs Palmer, a converted midfielder who cops plenty of flack or new young kid. Stevens vs either another unproven kid or the unpopular fox.

Centre half. Basham, Egan, O’Connell vs Lees? Copping flack now. Pudil? A converted fullback and Van Aken? Nothing to see here either. Most of them think their defence is crap.

Midfield. Norwood, quite possibly the best and most lethal passer in the division. Could you argue Bannon has hit more recent heights than Fleck? The latter has certainly won hands down their duels. Not too much else of note they have.

Further forward, on their day, could Forestieri or Reach possibly userp Duffy? Perhaps though as a cog in United’s wheel he is vital.

Up front, nobody they have matches Sharp’s goal getting. Then maybe Forestieri but even with him, he got nowhere near Leon’s output.

I think we’ll stick thanks Piggo.

I think they have some quality players tbf. Bannon, Reach, Forestieri, Lee, Hooper, Joao. But they each come with baggage. Injuries, egos, inconsistencies. They don’t have 11 players pulling in one direction. Uniteds success is that the sum is greater than the parts.

On another thread at the moment, I believe someone is advocating you being shot between the eyes for coming out with something as bad as that.

We've had deep seeded, linchpin and dosent as well.

Topplayersleave may be onto something after all.

(Should it be " At the moment, on another thread," ? :0 )

We've had deep seeded, linchpin and dosent as well.

Topplayersleave may be onto something after all.

(Should it be " At the moment, on another thread," ? :0 )
I don't think it's a must, though there is definitely a missing comma. Perhaps I'll just get a mild electric shock.

Also to be fair to Mark from Pitsmoor, other Wednesdayites and other fans through out the Championship it’s a really good question.

‘Why are Sheffield United so good when they have in theory, at best, a squad of average Championship players”

This oft used comment is false and it rankles, especially when our own supporters come out with it.

Billy is not average. He's scored more fucking goals than anyone else this century (or will have soon).

JOC is not average. He will be playing in the Prem very soon. If not with us it will be elsewhere. He will also be contending for an England spot.

Fleck is not average. He would be a Scotland regular if it were not for his past history with McCoist. The likes of Bannan wouldn't get a sniff.

Norwood is not average. He is Premiership quality and probably the Championship's signing of the season.

Henderson is not average. He will be playing for England one day.

Basham is not average. He is the most underrated player in the Championship.

Stevens is not average. He is an Irish International footballer.

I could make a case for a couple more but to call United an average squad is an insult and a fucking joke.

Back
Top Bottom