Team vs Fulham?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I've noticed a lot are going for Anel, Trusty and Robbo but aren't they all left footed?

I'm not saying that it can't happen but if that's correct surely you'd play Bash plus Anel and either Robbo or Trusty

Wes
Anel Trusty Robbo
Bogle Thomas
Souza
Davies Hamer
McAtee
McB

I've noticed a lot are going for Anel, Trusty and Robbo but aren't they all left footed?

I'm not saying that it can't happen but if that's correct surely you'd play Bash plus Anel and either Robbo or Trusty
Anel is right footed.

Trusty was presumably signed to play LCB but hopefully he'd work well in the middle of the 3.

Wes
Thomas
Baldock
Anel
Trusty
Robinson
Souza
Hamer
Slimane
Mcburnie
Archer

The same 11 that finished the game at WHU ( maybe Brewster on the bench and Archer/McAtee or Hamer to be in for him) with tweaks as the game goes on.

Here's my tactical effort. We pick a side that looks very cautious. Marco Silva suspects we'd be happy with 0-0 at half time, especially as Archer is benched:

Wes
Anel - Trusty - Robbo
Bogle - Davies - Souza - Hamer - Thomas
McAtee
McBurnie
But actually we shape up to surprise Fulham, guns blazing. We're extremely front foot and terrorise them with our press, much like Chelsea did to them on Monday night. Fulham didn't stop trying to play it out even though they were really struggling and getting robbed time and again. We hopefully can get two goals up by 30mins, before actually dropping into quite a defensive setup (as above).

If they beat the press, Davies and Souza win the ball. If those defensive midfielders are beaten, then Robbo body slams someone.

So, start like this:

Wes
Anel - Trusty - Robbo - Thomas
Davies - Souza

Bogle - McAtee - Hamer
McBurnie​
I really want to like that, I just feel decent wingers would rip that side apart (on both side).

I really want to like that, I just feel decent wingers would rip that side apart (on both side).
Certainly no guarantee of success!

But Willian aside, they're not amongst the highest calibre we'll face.

Certainly no guarantee of success!

But Willian aside, they're not amongst the highest calibre we'll face.
I saw some of the Newcastle players we lined up against and fancied our chances, I've been beaten into worrying about every opposition player we come across now.
But you're right, Reed and Wilson aren't high end Premier League widemen.

As much as I like Hamer he loses possession easily so we need to stiffen midfield up, might be time to bench Gus, (unpopular I know) and bring him on after 60 to inject a bit of creativity. I also don't like McAtee and Hamer in the same midfield so I would start Souza and Slimane with McAtee or Hamer slightly advanced, not both.

We look better with 2 forwards on the pitch, (Newcastle was a disaster with one up top) so I would stick with Oli Mac and Archer with Rhian to come on for Archer later in the game. Oli Mac is vital at both ends of the pitch.

Defence is interesting. I thought Trusty looked good when he came on against West Ham and may just go for him over Bash. Leave Anel on the right hand side of defence to combat the pace of Antonee Robinson.

Wes

Bogle
Anel
Trusty
JLT
Thomas

Slimane
Souza
McAtee/Hamer

Oli Mac
Archer

Hi Stegosaurus here,

If Hecky starts Egan again instead of Trusty, then the Prince needs to give him a backhander and knock some sense into him. Or find whatever pictures Egan has stashed in his drawers.

Whatever the line up, I'd just like to see us not sat wanking each other off in our own box when out of possession. This is a game where we really shouldn't be sat so far in, just inviting threat for 40 minutes waiting to go a goal down. The comparison is a bit crackers, I know, but watching Newcastle vs PSG last night reminded me a lot of our 2019/20 season. They didn't just immediately get everyone behind the ball when losing possession. It wasn't man-to-man defending, they had a defensive spine but they maintained a wide midfield so that the moment they got the ball again, there were genuine outs, not just hoof it into the other half, actual outfield players to give the ball to and make something of it. Really reminded me of the Premier league days of having Norwood, Fleck and Lundstram in midfield to play to.

My shout would be:

Wes
Bogle - Bash - Anel - Robbo - Thomas
Hamer - Souza
Macca
McBurnie - Archer

Davies but specifically Larouci looks like a right liability at the moment.

Hecky will stick to his tried and tested favourite tactics, sorry tactic, plural implies he has more than one, and his favourite players.

(If fit and available)

Wes
Baldock -- Basham -- Anel -- Robinson -- Thomas
Hamer -- Norwood -- Souza -- McAtee
McBurnie

If we still don't see Trusty start then I really will start to question what the hell is going on with him/us. We're skint and have spent 6m on a player who we don't trust to start games even when we have injuries at the back and instead turn to Basham, who's no where close to being at this level now.

Wes

Bogle
Anel
Trusty
Robinson
Larouci

Norwood
Souza
Hamer

Archer
McBurnie

McAtee & Thomas were awful on Saturday, probably our poorest players on the pitch and it was that side of the pitch they were attacking time after time and getting in behind in the first half. We can't put them out again against Fulham as they will just do the same so I'd drop both of them. People are questioning Larouci defensively especially, but Thomas hasn't done much better, and offers less going forward so right now I'd play Larouci, and revert to Norwood & Souza in the middle as Norwood brings more defensive protection.

I dont hate it, and I get your way of thinking, but does Slimane make us stronger and more solid? And can Robbo play that wide?
I just like the idea of defenders at full back for the next few games to make us a bit more solid and maybe stop some of the crosses coming in (would have Baldock at RWB if fit). Also, still gives us Robinson's long throw as an option.
Unsure on Slimane, but like the idea of a flat three in front of the back line to act as another wall of protection. Would also give Souza some passing options as I've not been impressed by him in possession. Maybe Davies is a better option in this position to perform the old Lundstram box-to-box role, but not sure if he's fit enough yet. Just don't want us to be a soft touch in midfield.

Not sure what the answer is.

We do need a strong agile defence, with robust protection from CDM.

An adventurous box to box midfield.

A serious attacking threat.

(Not looking good for McAtee is it).

Don't see the point of a back 5 anymore with Egan out. Back 4 with Trusty and Anel. Extra man to shore up the midfield. Let Thomas focus on defence instead of forcing him to attack when it isn't his game.

Play Mcburnie a bit deeper so that he can either win flick ons or hold the ball up and bring others into play.. similar to how Boro moved Akpom from a striker to Attacking Midfield.

Screenshot_20231006-100405.png

Don't think I've agreed with a single line up suggested in here, so far 😄
Likewise

But every time I’ve tried to piece together a few team lineup options - I stand back - go for a cuppa , revisit , take a look and think - fk me we’re shit

Back
Top Bottom