Takeover

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As a supporter of the Prince and his tenure at Bramall Lane and admittedly with the benefit of hindsight, I’m not sure that’s the most positive argument Ive seen put forward, in support of his financial backing and judgement 😬
But the Princes' judgement isn't really relevant, unless you want him to be second-guessing the manager.
If CW et al recommend a player the owners job should be to say if the club can afford him or not.
For the owner to comment on the quality of a football player and whether he's good enough for the team is surely a step too far?

As a supporter of the Prince and his tenure at Bramall Lane and admittedly with the benefit of hindsight, I’m not sure that’s the most positive argument Ive seen put forward, in support of his financial backing and judgement 😬

😂 he wouldn’t have sanctioned Berge either.

We’d have been looking to pip the competition to the resigning of Chris Porter

The Prince admitted he's not a footballing man and presumably listened to Wilder. He spent in good faith we all know how's it turned out but his intentions was good
The Prince watches loads of football. He might have said he's not an expert. But he loves to watch football.

At the top EFL play off you would expect top officials to be present

Agreed, I thought his appointment to the EFL was very recent for some reason but just read it was January 2021.

Especially considering he used to be on the board at United

Not sure about this though, I don't imagine the queue of ex-board members who are welcome back or would touch us with a bargepole is very long! 😂

Yeah I've never played/coached/managed a professional football team... So professionals might not call me a "football man".

Obviously I'd take great offence to that, as I definitely am.

Might be why we still ain’t done anything no one is firmly linked to sign. Because if it happens to happen we could sign better players.

The Prince watches loads of football. He might have said he's not an expert. But he loves to watch football.
One of the main differences between the Prince and Kev is the Prince sees some value in hanging on to a good player despite the fact that somebody else is offering him money to sign them whereas Kev's approach was 'they are offering me half a million pounds just for a footballer!!!!! I usually have to get the cement mixer spinning before anybody starts talking hard cash. Quick snap their hands off before they sober up".

One of the main differences between the Prince and Kev is the Prince sees some value in hanging on to a good player despite the fact that somebody else is offering him money to sign them whereas Kev's approach was 'they are offering me half a million pounds just for a footballer!!!!! I usually have to get the cement mixer spinning before anybody starts talking hard cash. Quick snap their hands off before they sober up".
He’s not been burnt yet. I heard a club made a very good offer, circa £5m for Ryan Flynn during our cup run. Clough wasn’t keen on selling him at that point so the offer was turned down. Similarly, a lot of people were hoping we’d benefit from Diego’s talents and then sell him on for a big fee. So KM got a bit jaded. He employed the wrong managers who let him down and wasn’t the same afterwards. He could also remember the players we got good money for who never progressed after they left us. Sometimes selling is the correct decision.

And that’s what being a football person is about. The accepted definition is someone who is knowledgeable enough and capable enough to earn a living in football, who is either able to properly appraise footballers’ technical abilities and suitability to play at a defined level and/or has a working knowledge of market wage rates, contract clauses etc so that clubs don’t overpay or lose out because they’re chasing the wrong players. They’ll also usually have a large network of contacts they can call on for insider information on potential players, coaches managers. If you don’t have one at a club at executive level, you’re heavily reliant on getting the right manager in (which is also more difficult without a football person advising you).

He’s not been burnt yet. I heard a club made a very good offer, circa £5m for Ryan Flynn during our cup run. Clough wasn’t keen on selling him at that point so the offer was turned down. Similarly, a lot of people were hoping we’d benefit from Diego’s talents and then sell him on for a big fee. So KM got a bit jaded. He employed the wrong managers who let him down and wasn’t the same afterwards. He could also remember the players we got good money for who never progressed after they left us. Sometimes selling is the correct decision.

And that’s what being a football person is about. The accepted definition is someone who is knowledgeable enough and capable enough to earn a living in football, who is either able to properly appraise footballers’ technical abilities and suitability to play at a defined level and/or has a working knowledge of market wage rates, contract clauses etc so that clubs don’t overpay or lose out because they’re chasing the wrong players. They’ll also usually have a large network of contacts they can call on for insider information on potential players, coaches managers. If you don’t have one at a club at executive level, you’re heavily reliant on getting the right manager in (which is also more difficult without a football person advising you).
5m for Ryan Flynn??????? Now I've heard some nonsense fees in my time but that surely takes the biscuit as thst was quite a time ago

5m for Ryan Flynn??????? Now I've heard some nonsense fees in my time but that surely takes the biscuit as thst was quite a time ago
Yeah, it was something in that region, I recall. Around the time when he scored against Villa, possibly that JTW. May have included add-ons. There were some daft fees being agreed round that period. Like £10m for Rhodes.

Yeah, it was something in that region, I recall. Around the time when he scored against Villa, possibly that JTW. May have included add-ons. There were some daft fees being agreed round that period. Like £10m for Rhodes.
I wouldnt have bitten their arm off for that I would have eaten their whole body

Anybody offering £5m for Ryan Flynn is not a "football person" I can assure you!

I remember Scougall being linked with Everton for £3-4m after that cup run but Flynn? He was absolute bobbar for 95% of the time.
No, but a football person would have done what FriethBlade would do.

I don’t remember Scougall being linked with Everton but again, we should have sold.

Flynn was decent at the level we were at, gave his all and he had a spell under Clough where he was a real threat. Never worth £5m, I think more like £500,000 ish in his peak, Jamie Murphy was the main threat at the time as we all know. What a player he was!

Flynn was decent at the level we were at, gave his all and he had a spell under Clough where he was a real threat. Never worth £5m, I think more like £500,000 ish in his peak, Jamie Murphy was the main threat at the time as we all know. What a player he was!

Ryan Flynn was not decent. Nesh as fuck.

A football man :-
A subbuteo player, possibly with his legs glued to a base to stop him falling over.
Very similar to some of the England players on view tonight although dubious that they and their manager are football men as you need bollox for that to be true

Anybody offering £5m for Ryan Flynn is not a "football person" I can assure you!

I remember Scougall being linked with Everton for £3-4m after that cup run but Flynn? He was absolute bobbar for 95% of the time.
we nearly bought Martyn Waghorn for £5m but they turned us down…

Back
Top Bottom