Suummer Transfer Window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Come from away

Reaction score
Sudbury Canada, lake country - 330+ lakes
Come June 9th the window opens and we begin 12 weeks of speculation. The press seem to think we are going big on loans. Does this mean we will do a Fulham and rent ourselves a new team of loanees with just a couple of permanents? Seems to make sense but do we have a good record of following the plan, upto SJ I reckon.

Come June 9th the window opens and we begin 12 weeks of speculation. The press seem to think we are going big on loans. Does this mean we will do a Fulham and rent ourselves a new team of loanees with just a couple of permanents? Seems to make sense but do we have a good record of following the plan, upto SJ I reckon.
i think thats about right 2 or 3 permanent signings with the rest being loans possibly with views to buy if we go back up

I think the speculation started even before SJ was appointed, weeks before the 9th June.
No reason for the window to change that.

I'd transfer list a lot of the PL wreckage, TBH.

Anyone who has a modicum of CDF would be looking to ship out the likes of Norwood, Stevens, Fleck, Mousset and Burke as a starter. There's generated money in those five and none of them did much for us last season, simply assuming they'll turn into superstars down one notch is crazy stuff. They are the target areas, and oppositions will know their weaknesses and expose them. The hope and assumption that next season is gonna be any easier that this last horrific season is misguided. This 'drop in standard' is a fallacy and teams are paid and expected to fight for their position. People saying 'it's a weak league' are making judgements based on fresh air and yes, the league will shake itself down by Christmas, but I expect to see a few surprises there and if we don't arm ourselves sufficiently and cut out the vulnerabilities, we could be one of those surprises, in a very negative sense. We expected to bounce straight back up when relegated under Warnock and then when we went down to Div One based on our assumed supremacy and ended up fighting our way back up over ten years and several regime changes.

pommpey

Anyone who has a modicum of CDF would be looking to ship out the likes of Norwood, Stevens, Fleck, Mousset and Burke as a starter. There's generated money in those five and none of them did much for us last season, simply assuming they'll turn into superstars down one notch is crazy stuff. They are the target areas, and oppositions will know their weaknesses and expose them. The hope and assumption that next season is gonna be any easier that this last horrific season is misguided. This 'drop in standard' is a fallacy and teams are paid and expected to fight for their position. People saying 'it's a weak league' are making judgements based on fresh air and yes, the league will shake itself down by Christmas, but I expect to see a few surprises there and if we don't arm ourselves sufficiently and cut out the vulnerabilities, we could be one of those surprises, in a very negative sense. We expected to bounce straight back up when relegated under Warnock and then when we went down to Div One based on our assumed supremacy and ended up fighting our way back up over ten years and several regime changes.

pommpey
Do you think there will be interest from anyone taking those players and actually paying a fee?
Maybe for Fleck you could get a couple of million, but the others will be high earners and I can't see anyone paying very much at all.
From that list, I wouldn't lose much sleep if we lost them but I just can't see any generated money for reinvestment.

Last edited:
The three most important things to get right are the manager and the attitude and fitness of the players. Get them three things right and it will take you a long, long way - especially outside of the Premier League. The next is a system that suits the players: no shoehorning players into a system that doesn't suit them. Sales policy should be for United to attempt to offload the older players that have peaked and have decent resale value. In so doing, then replacing these players with with those that fit into an affordable post parachute championship wage structure. For suitable offers we should offload Norwood, Stevens, Baldock, Fleck, Foderingham, Egan, Robinson. We shouldn't give them away though.

We have to shit or get off the pot with Moose: if he's seen as a busted flush offload. If not renew his deal. He's in his last year so make a decision. I'd offload. Sharp, Didzy and Bash are unlikely to fetch anything much given their age - we should keep them around in that case. They'll be part of the natural churn in 12 months anyway when their contracts are up. We can offload a LWB as we are overstocked in that area (Lowe, RND, Osborn, Stevens).
The rest are young, hopefully appreciating assets and United should prioritise keeping them. All bids should be taken on their merits and, if we sell, big fees achieved.

Recruitment
Any major capital spent should be focused on players under the age of 25. You sign good player in their early 20s and they get you up or/and make you money. It's fairly obvious we need players all across the midfield and central defensive areas - regardless of the formation played. These players should be largely permanent signings with a sprinkling of loans. If we start offloading all our best young players on permanents and replacing them with high cost loans the alarm bells should start ringing - we'd essentially be betting the house on promotion. If you don't get promoted what assets do you have next season?

Wage structure on incomings
Incomings should fit into a post parachute wage structure unless they're short term loans. A key feature of Wilder's success was a sizeable bonus scheme upon promotion. Control the basic salaries and continue this please. Spend money on fees not wages when possible.

i think thats about right 2 or 3 permanent signings with the rest being loans possibly with views to buy if we go back up

They'd have to be Premier League standard if we had a buy option and we went up, otherwise why have a buy option.

Might get Kieron Dowell back again, he's been a good part of two promotion teams and I don't know if Norwich will keep him

They'd have to be Premier League standard if we had a buy option and we went up, otherwise why have a buy option.

Might get Kieron Dowell back again, he's been a good part of two promotion teams and I don't know if Norwich will keep him
We really shout be aiming higher. This time we have the parachute payments, which mean we should be looking at top end youngsters on loan not ones clubs are necessarily looking to dump and sell on.
I'd be hoping for more of the likes of Ryan Sessegnon (highly unlikely but you have to aim big), Harvey Elliott, James Garner. and then maybe someone like Ben Davies or the old favourite Calum Chambers if we're looking for players with a view to buy should we go up.

There's not one player that should escape a fire sale. We really do need to lay a fresh platform and get rid of the Chris Wilder image. No ageing players,no they'll do a job in the championship and no they'll BE OK as back up. Fresh squad All capable of performing as the first 11. Let's start the journey this season not next when its too late. Be it loans or signings,let's get it done now and prepare for the Prem

We really shout be aiming higher. This time we have the parachute payments, which mean we should be looking at top end youngsters on loan not ones clubs are necessarily looking to dump and sell on.
I'd be hoping for more of the likes of Ryan Sessegnon (highly unlikely but you have to aim big), Harvey Elliott, James Garner. and then maybe someone like Ben Davies or the old favourite Calum Chambers if we're looking for players with a view to buy should we go up.
Don't you know blades are obsessed with ex players, sorry JJBlade 😅😉 Besic springs to mind with 90% of our fanbase lol.

Shipping Fleck out, ahead of a season in the Championship. I've read it all now.

If you can get a better Fleck seven or eight years younger? Or two top end championship players between the ages of 20-25? With the much mooted new recruitment you'd hope they'd be capable. There wasn't many raving about Flecky when he first arrived ;)

If you can get a better Fleck seven or eight years younger? Or two top end championship players between the ages of 20-25? With the much mooted new recruitment you'd hope they'd be capable. There wasn't many raving about Flecky when he first arrived ;)
As I've posed before, I actually think the likes of Norwood, Fleck and Enda could have an important role to play, assuming we can't move them on due to their age and wages. I just think we need to be looking for better as they've proven they're not able to perform at the level we aspire to be playing at.
Mowatt is available on a free and is a couple of years younger, and who knows maybe has a higher ceiling but I'd refer him to Dowell and he'll be cheaper.

As I've posed before, I actually think the likes of Norwood, Fleck and Enda could have an important role to play, assuming we can't move them on due to their age and wages. I just think we need to be looking for better as they've proven they're not able to perform at the level we aspire to be playing at.
Mowatt is available on a free and is a couple of years younger, and who knows maybe has a higher ceiling but I'd refer him to Dowell and he'll be cheaper.

I agree, I think it'll be difficult to offload for decent money which will make it harder to bounce back if we don't go up this year. It's important not to get too sentimental about players; our fans would do well to look to South Barnsley and a fan favourite that peaked years ago that'll be picking up 27k a week in League One. Mowatt ticks a lot of boxes.

pommpey
I agree. The issue would be shifting some of them though, so we may just have to wait for their contracts to run down, sadly.

I also think we need to rebuild with the PL in mind. There's little point going up with a midfield of Norwood and Fleck and then being back to square one. I'd sooner change it now and keep that continuity post-promotion, as we did last time.

pommpey

Mousse (injury record) and Enda yes. The others play in positions we are bare to the bone in and we can't afford to ship them out. Norwood is a known quantity to SJ, and Fleck and Burke could thrive in new roles in a new system. And as mentioned by others here, there's not much value left in these players.

If we are looking to ship out players we start with McBurnie - yes he has a championship pedigree but so do all the players you are looking to move on. He's never done it for us and that's the track record that matters. Plus we could command a decent fee and reinvest it back into a new striker and a midfielder.

After that cash in on Baldock maybe and trust Bogle to develop under SJ. Egan if we can get double digits for him. And Berge obviously.

Mcburnie did not do it for us as Wilder did not play to his strengths, he had previously scored goals for Swansea and Barnsley and our new manager with new ideas may see him as an important piece of the jigsaw.

Other than the players that have already been announced on the released list, I'm in no massive rush to get rid of any of the players. Several mentioned on here have done it in the Champ, Norwood has done it multiple times in the Champ, one of those times being with the new manager - These are the pedigree of players everyone would be happy to be linked with, if they weren't actually playing for us.

Edit: Just had a look at Jokanovic's promotion season, and Norwood/Cairney had very similar goal/assist outputs over the season. Why is it we want Cairney, but people are adamant that Norwood isn't good enough?

Hi Stegosaurus here

I think its imperative that we get Lundstram on a new contract. He's the lynchpin of the team.
Serious question. Have you started on the skag?
The quality of your output has really dropped off a cliff recently, where it used to be occasionally amusing it's now just sad.
Are you ok?

Last edited:
If anyone offered me a choice now of having Wilder back or SJ being in the hot seat, I'd have to admit it would be SJ 100%. I can understand the debate about our present squad not cutting it last season, but in Slav, he has the management and coaching skills to get a tune out of everyone of our present players. It's too early to discuss who should be moved on and I believe with the exception of three or four incoming, either perms or loans, this windows will be relatively quiet and should we be in contention for top 6 by Christmas I would imagine a far busier JTW.

My opening sentence is not a dig at CW, only to say that the present squad played to his style and I wouldn't be confident on them performing to the level achieved when we gained promotion. It's not Sheffield United that needs a change of squad, but the squad needing a change in direction, style and coaching and SJ will give them that leadership.

Mousse (injury record) and Enda yes. The others play in positions we are bare to the bone in and we can't afford to ship them out. Norwood is a known quantity to SJ, and Fleck and Burke could thrive in new roles in a new system. And as mentioned by others here, there's not much value left in these players.

If we are looking to ship out players we start with McBurnie - yes he has a championship pedigree but so do all the players you are looking to move on. He's never done it for us and that's the track record that matters. Plus we could command a decent fee and reinvest it back into a new striker and a midfielder.

After that cash in on Baldock maybe and trust Bogle to develop under SJ. Egan if we can get double digits for him. And Berge obviously.

I think that Norwood has maxed out on his capability. I also think that in the minds of opposition midfields next season are a few things when he is on the ball:

1. He'll immediately try to pump it to an advancing wingback
2. He'll turn his back
3. He'll surrender possession under pressure

What needs to happen is that he'll hold onto the ball, skip past any challenge or basically run through and find the pass to the forward, none of which he has done this season (Sharp's goal against Plymouth an exception). We also need him to get the crossing from set pieces right and shoot, either from a free kick or from a moving ball.

We can't expect progress if we try to build with the same materials which failed us in the past.

I simply don't buy this 'he'll do well in the Championship' schnizzle. You have to be better than Championship to get out of it.

McBurnie - if I may uncharacteristically stick up for him for once - was played out of position and fed with nothing last season. Yep, some of his nailed on opportunities were spooned, but it's a percentage game. Seeing him flailing about trying to be a winger or a number ten and pub footballing it was not the way to get the best out of him. And I do believe he can score goals, and needs a chance to prove that. Put it this way - if we sold him to another Championship side, he would be a safe bet to be the one to stick three goals past us.

pommpey

Back
Top Bottom