Steve Cowans new book

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Don't know if their linked but noticed at the Donny match on Wednesday, the small group of young uns in the top right hand corner that were singing throughout the match had a banner with the words BBC on.....
OMG!!! - liquidate the club immediately.

I wonder if The Star are running anything on it. 'United legend brings out book' will probably be the long and short of it. They'll be too scared of falling out with people to have some critical analysis of so many people associated with united going to an event by a bloke who's writing books about hooliganism

Don't get wound up that often but I'm finding this fucking sickening

I wonder if The Star are running anything on it. 'United legend brings out book' will probably be the long and short of it. They'll be too scared of falling out with people to have some critical analysis of so many people associated with united going to an event by a bloke who's writing books about hooliganism

Don't get wound up that often but I'm finding this fucking sickening
Ludicrous overreaction. You need to get out more. And the book isn’t about hooliganism.

Ludicrous overreaction. You need to get out more. And the book isn’t about hooliganism.
This book isn't.

Fancy debating using any kind of logic or reasoning?

I don't care about the books or even that bothered about what he's done. Hell, he can even have an event for his book as far as I'm concerned. That guest list is of the kind that I'd expect for a united legend, not some thug thats celebrated being a hooligan

But yeah, if you fancy actually putting forward some kind of explanation for why it's actually alright, do let me know

Ha yeah!
Who wants to meet Chris Wilder, Harry Bassett, Derek French, Kevin Gage, Brian Deane, Tony Currie, Dane Whitehouse, Carl Bradshaw, Mitch Ward, Bob Booker, Curtis Woodhouse, Wayne Quinn, Paul Devlin, Jamie Hoyland, Simon Tracey, Glyn Hodges, John Gannon, Paul Beasley and Keith Edwards anyway??

Especially when Love Island is on.
Love Island v Stone Island :)

This book isn't.

I don't care about the books or even that bothered about what he's done. Hell, he can even have an event for his book as far as I'm concerned. That guest list is of the kind that I'd expect for a united legend, not some thug thats celebrated being a hooligan

But yeah, if you fancy actually putting forward some kind of explanation for why it's actually alright, do let me know
If only you could just control everything anyone chose to do!! It is a crying shame everyone doesn't think exactly the same as you.

If only you could just control everything anyone chose to do!! It is a crying shame everyone doesn't think exactly the same as you.
I've not said anything to that effect. I'm expressing my own opinion. I'm actually wanting to hear other perspectives.

This book isn't.

It’s a celebration of being a Blade - particularly in the 80s and 90s. The fact that it is a sell out despite moving to a much bigger venue - and many of our best ex-players and managers are attending - suggests many have no problem with it.

It’s a chance for fans to see and hear from many of their heroes - and to enjoy themselves after months of lockdown.

I've not said anything to that effect. I'm expressing my own opinion. I'm actually wanting to hear other perspectives.
You weren't saying you were annoyed about ex players and managers supporting the event? Sounded like it to me.

You weren't saying you were annoyed about ex players and managers supporting the event? Sounded like it to me.
I was saying that, yes. I'm not saying that nobody is allowed to have another opinion, and I'm actually wanting to hear anyone explain how they think it's ok.

I think you're getting confused between having an opinion and not allowing others to have one.

It’s a celebration of being a Blade - particularly in the 80s and 90s. The fact that it is a sell out despite moving to a much bigger venue - and many of our best ex-players and managers are attending - suggests many have no problem with it.

It’s a chance for fans to see and hear from many of their heroes - and to enjoy themselves after months of lockdown.

So it's more about the event itself than the man and the book itself? I get that, especially for the fans, as that guest list has a lot of names on it. I briefly considering going myself purely for the gues list. I've no problem with that - fans can do or think or say what they want, more or less.

Blades legends/ex players all going though suggests that they're fine with it, and I think there's an added responsibility involved in being a part of the club - especially those that still are in some way.

I’ve not read this fella’s books, but if they’re about nostalgia for his hoolie exploits, then I’m not remotely interested. Aged blokes revelling in past exploits under the old “it was different times” excuse is a right load of indulgent bollocks.

If that’s the deal (and the key word is if), then Nade is right to wonder what folk are thinking.

Would anybody want to buy two tickets for this? I have two but can’t make it.

A fellow Blade once told me that the BBC were mostly older now/retired etc, but the BBC had continued by a newer crop of younger lads, which seemed logical. He said they were affectionally known as BBC2!?

I have no idea if that's true, but either way each time I've recalled that lie I get a decent laugh from football or non-football fans alike!

As for the book, I bought his first but to be honest didn't read much of it. I don't know why but I was expecting a bit more about the emotional side of being in a firm rather than "We took over the Bristol end and they crapped themselves" etc which is what I recall from reading it! Maybe as it went on it was more reflective!

I remember from the "United" documentary Keith Broughton saying he didn't agree with a lot of what the BBC did, but "it's like a deterrent, you may not like it but it keeps opposition fans from kicking us all o'er"! Probably has a point there, but I'd still rather us not have firms, but a lot of trouble happens just between so called normal fans who just drink too much and then get involved with the away fans at a pub etc.

Right, off to bed why am I posting on here so late when I could be watching top quality Olympic tiddly winks!
Can't wait to see the cbeebies tear up stadiums.

It will be interesting to see whether I'm right but I have a feeling this "book launch" is going to be more about stroking Chris Wilder's ego and slagging the Prince/Board off than any book.

As for the author and that generation of blokes, aren't most of them too busy moaning about Covid passports and Vaccinations to be writing/reading books?

I’ve not read this fella’s books, but if they’re about nostalgia for his hoolie exploits, then I’m not remotely interested. Aged blokes revelling in past exploits under the old “it was different times” excuse is a right load of indulgent bollocks.

If that’s the deal (and the key word is if), then Nade is right to wonder what folk are thinking.

If many of the old stars are reading this, they’ll be rearranging their schedule around their sock drawer…

Gary Sinclair is going. The same bloke that once told me off when I was a kid for jumping into the posh bit in the south stand to get a programme that someone had left under their seat…..

Bloke wants to get his priorities straight.

Scandalous!

A fellow Blade once told me that the BBC were mostly older now/retired etc, but the BBC had continued by a newer crop of younger lads, which seemed logical. He said they were affectionally known as BBC2!?

I have no idea if that's true, but either way each time I've recalled that lie I get a decent laugh from football or non-football fans alike!

As for the book, I bought his first but to be honest didn't read much of it. I don't know why but I was expecting a bit more about the emotional side of being in a firm rather than "We took over the Bristol end and they crapped themselves" etc which is what I recall from reading it! Maybe as it went on it was more reflective!

I remember from the "United" documentary Keith Broughton saying he didn't agree with a lot of what the BBC did, but "it's like a deterrent, you may not like it but it keeps opposition fans from kicking us all o'er"! Probably has a point there, but I'd still rather us not have firms, but a lot of trouble happens just between so called normal fans who just drink too much and then get involved with the away fans at a pub etc.

Right, off to bed why am I posting on here so late when I could be watching top quality Olympic tiddly winks!
CBBC lads.20210207_151023.jpg

I was saying that, yes. I'm not saying that nobody is allowed to have another opinion, and I'm actually wanting to hear anyone explain how they think it's ok.

I think you're getting confused between having an opinion and not allowing others to have one.
I think it's pretty clear that they wouldn't if it was a BBC book. Seems like this a book of the ups and downs of being a blade through the years.

I suppose it boils down to whether you think he should be boycotted for being a wrong 'un back in the day.
My recollection of the original book was it was written in an Honour amongst thieves way, ie only engaging in fisticuffs with people who also liked punching other people while getting punched themselves.
If they want to do that outside of the ground, where other people aren't going to get dragged in that's their decision imo.

On that basis, I'm not bothered if club people want to support the new non-violent book

Gary Sinclair is going. The same bloke that once told me off when I was a kid for jumping into the posh bit in the south stand to get a programme that someone had left under their seat…..

Bloke wants to get his priorities straight.

Shouldn’t he be self isolating?

Back
Top Bottom