Stephen Bettis speaks to local Media

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ndiaye - neither of us has a clue about what talks were taking place, or whether his agent was even prepared to talk because he certainly had no need to. So possibly on the club, possibly not. My experience of how it works suggests to me that it probably wasn’t. That’s an informed opinion. You can’t make the agent of a player under contract negotiate.

Berge - Would you have accepted Burnley’s first offer? If so, I wouldn’t have you anywhere near one of my businesses.

McAtee - thanks for admitting that it wasn’t down to how the club handles business.

Other business - I can’t see one that could have been concluded earlier without spending a lot of money we don’t have. You haven’t disagreed.

There are 4 parties to every deal. Often the only way to speed things up is to overpay. Which is easy when it’s someone else’s money. Employing more staff won’t do it. Growing a magic money tree might.
Maybe it is just money and I'm just complaining about something that runs perfectly. But when there are so many examples of clubs deriving extra value by following a well set out plan or strategy, acted out by accomplished, knowledgeable staff then I don't think I am.

Even the club acknowledged the last Ndiaye offer had never been made before but others had been🤷‍♂️

But when there are so many examples of clubs deriving extra value by following a well set out plan or strategy, acted out by accomplished, knowledgeable staff then I don't think I am.
Are there? I can’t think of too many.

But if you’re thinking of the likes of Brentford & Brighton do you have any idea what that costs to set up & maintain?

Are there? I can’t think of too many.

But if you’re thinking of the likes of Brentford & Brighton do you have any idea what that costs to set up & maintain?
You can't think of many teams who have more than a first team manager and CEO as top end football decision makers?

You can't think of many teams who have more than a first team manager and CEO as top end football decision makers?
That’s not what you said & not what I replied to.

Who else might be a top end decision maker, apart from CEO & manager. I’ve already given you a DoF. What else is missing from the decision making process?

Perhaps give us a list of all these clubs with a well set out plan or strategy acted out by accomplished, knowledgeable staff? Then we can analyse that strategy & their last transfer window.

I’ve given you two to start you off.

Final offer not having been made before? Isn’t that why it’s final?

Have many clubs with the set up we are supposedly short of been relegated over the last few years? Or are they all top six clubs? Spurs couldn’t get Kane to re sign with their money and set up.

That’s not what you said & not what I replied to.

Who else might be a top end decision maker, apart from CEO & manager. I’ve already given you a DoF. What else is missing from the decision making process?

Perhaps give us a list of all these clubs with a well set out plan or strategy acted out by accomplished, knowledgeable staff? Then we can analyse that strategy & their last transfer window.

I’ve given you two to start you off.
Why does the burden of proof lie with me? Prove United did everything perfectly and money was the only limiting factor

Why does the burden of proof lie with me? Prove United did everything perfectly and money was the only limiting factor
Because the accusations of failures by the club were made by you. If you make accusations you have to prove them. The club is innocent until proven guilty. Standard stuff.

We need to look at the facts we do know and consider the position based on those. So far you’ve conceded on some things and failed to make a case on the others.

I’ve conceded on the need for a DoF.

That’s where we are unless you have anything else?

Final offer not having been made before? Isn’t that why it’s final?

Have many clubs with the set up we are supposedly short of been relegated over the last few years? Or are they all top six clubs? Spurs couldn’t get Kane to re sign with their money and set up.

Just popped in here to see what's happening. You arguing again Sean? Let it go, and enjoy your Saturday evening is my advice. Why do you bother ? Still, your choice.

You might be right, just not bothered to read the previous posts if I'm honest.

P.s. just checked. Nowt interesting happening. If off again. Crack on everyone with your arguments. I'm off for a Saturday beer. 👍

Last edited:
Because the accusations of failures by the club were made by you. If you make accusations you have to prove them. The club is innocent until proven guilty. Standard stuff.

We need to look at the facts we do know and consider the position based on those. So far you’ve conceded on some things and failed to make a case on the others.

I’ve conceded on the need for a DoF.

That’s where we are unless you have anything else?
I've made a case on many occasions, offered opinions and examples of whete I think things are good/bad, you've decided you don't think it has merit based on "nah, I don't agree". Now I need to list a load of other clubs football administration roles for you to say "nah, I don't agree"?

I'm sure you will agree that me saying "there's a huge gap between Bettis and PH and a distinct lack of football specific experience" is in the same ballpark as you saying "we need a DoF". But I'm not making a case?

Just popped in here to see what's happening. You arguing again Sean? Let it go, and enjoy your Saturday evening is my advice. Why do you bother ? Still, your choice.

P.s. just checked. Nowt interesting happening. If off again. Crack on everyone with your arguments. I'm off for a Saturday beer. 👍
No argument. Just disbelief at the latest guesses put forward as facts. Which none of them are. The man child doesn’t reply so it’s all good. It’s possibly the future……. :)

Thanks for the concern though.

I've made a case on many occasions, offered opinions and examples of whete I think things are good/bad, you've decided you don't think it has merit based on "nah, I don't agree". Now I need to list a load of other clubs football administration roles for you to say "nah, I don't agree"?

I'm sure you will agree that me saying "there's a huge gap between Bettis and PH and a distinct lack of football specific experience" is in the same ballpark as you saying "we need a DoF". But I'm not making a case?
My case isn’t remotely based on “nah, I don’t agree”. It has, however, been based on holes in your case and your apparent lack of knowledge of what has actually taken place & how transfers actually work.

I’m not interested whatsoever in “football administration roles” because they don’t really factor. What does is decision making roles.

You’ve made statements, I’ve asked you hard questions (the answers to which might even support your case) but you have chosen not to engage with that.

But to recap:

1. What decision making roles are needed?

2. Provide a list of clubs with a well set out plan or strategy acted out by accomplished, knowledgeable staff. You’ve said that there are many. Which ones?

No argument. Just disbelief at the latest guesses put forward as facts. Which none of them are. The man child doesn’t reply so it’s all good. It’s possibly the future……. :)

Thanks for the concern though.

No concern on my part, to be clear. Just wondering why you would bother getting into a debate/argument on a football forum on a Saturday evening? Crack on though, for my money. Just thought you was an intelligent fella and it wasn't worth your time? Not my business though. Enjoy your evening.

No concern on my part, to be clear. Just wondering why you would bother getting into a debate/argument on a football forum on a Saturday evening? Crack on though, for my money. Just thought you was an intelligent fella and it wasn't worth your time? Not my business though. Enjoy your evening.

Why are you getting into a football forum debate on a Saturday evening about getting into a football forum debate on a Saturday evening? 🤔🤣

I'm not. Was just trying to stop another poster (who I respect from his past posts) wasting his time.

Never mind, do all continue arguing on a Saturday night. C u allz tomorrow. Enjoy your argument.

Shit. Forgot the emojis to give my post effect. 😊😏👍😄😕🦁🍦🤞🥱🐷🎉🦁😄😉

Right. 🍻 time. Night.

My case isn’t remotely based on “nah, I don’t agree”. It has, however, been based on holes in your case and your apparent lack of knowledge of what has actually taken place & how transfers actually work.

I’m not interested whatsoever in “football administration roles” because they don’t really factor. What does is decision making roles.

You’ve made statements, I’ve asked you hard questions (the answers to which might even support your case) but you have chosen not to engage with that.

But to recap:

1. What decision making roles are needed?

2. Provide a list of clubs with a well set out plan or strategy acted out by accomplished, knowledgeable staff. You’ve said that there are many. Which ones?
There needs to be an additional person with overall responsibility for putting the club wide strategy into place. DoF, Sporting Director etc.

Still no. I'm going to stick with having accomplished staff working towards a shared goal, employed directly by the club would create better results. There are clubs who create more value than United currently. I do get why they'd want to fallback on the manager does all model because of the amazing success Wilder has. But I think they are ignoring the end result. Wilder desperately needed someone to take responsibilities away from him but wouldn't countenance it. Maybe I'm wrong and PH wants to do it all. I don't believe that's tenable at the level United compete at over the long term

Sean Thornton. You want to start saying I have mental health issues again? 😂
I said you weren’t all there. Based on the fact you didn’t seem to know what you were on about There’s a difference but that just highlights your way of pushing your opinions as facts or, as you’ve now claimed, insider knowledge. Which l don’t buy btw. You did denigrate what l did for a living, pray tell of your chosen career which leads you to be so clued up/a fantasist, on so many things. Bearing in mind hardly anyone agrees with your take on matters. Pretty par for the course :)

Last edited:
Being virtually retired days merge into others. Football on tv, just requires a bit of multi tasking.

Not just me though if you hadn’t noticed.

I said you weren’t all there. There’s a difference but that just highlights your way of pushing your opinions as facts or, as you’ve now claimed, insider knowledge. Which l don’t buy btw. You did denigrate what l did for a living, pray tell of your chosen career which leads you to be so clued up/a fantasist, on so many things. Bearing in mind hardly anyone agrees with your take on matters. Pretty par for the course :)
Try walking up to some random people on the street and saying they aren't all there and see how that works out for you 👍

Which bits are fantasy, seen as you're so big on that?

In what world does getting randoms on the Internet to agree with you matter?

I didn't denigrate what you do for a living. Accountants are extremely valuable. It was aimed at the individual, not the profession.

Anyway, as much as this edition of "I don't like you oryour opinions" has been fun, I'll leave you to your evenings. TTFN

Being virtually retired days merge into others. Football on tv, just requires a bit of multi tasking.

Not just me though if you hadn’t noticed.

I had noticed. Just thought you was better (not that I know you personally). Anyway, that's me done on the subject. Enjoy your weekend.

Try walking up to some random people on the street and saying they aren't all there and see how that works out for you 👍

Which bits are fantasy, seen as you're so big on that?

In what world does getting randoms on the Internet to agree with you matter?

I didn't denigrate what you do for a living. Accountants are extremely valuable. It was aimed at the individual, not the profession.

You mean you don’t you. :)

You’ve been asked for proof by other posters. You’ve dodged them.

I haven’t asked you to agree with me. Now you’re making things up. Well, still making things up.

If you try to play with words, at least try to look intelligent. The accountant in question was me.

Go on, what do you do for a living? Let’s hope it’s not as a management consultant. Salting fries?

There needs to be an additional person with overall responsibility for putting the club wide strategy into place. DoF, Sporting Director etc.

Still no. I'm going to stick with having accomplished staff working towards a shared goal, employed directly by the club would create better results. There are clubs who create more value than United currently. I do get why they'd want to fallback on the manager does all model because of the amazing success Wilder has. But I think they are ignoring the end result. Wilder desperately needed someone to take responsibilities away from him but wouldn't countenance it. Maybe I'm wrong and PH wants to do it all. I don't believe that's tenable at the level United compete at over the long term
So we’ve agreed on a DoF type of role. That’s good.

Otherwise you keep citing all these other clubs “creating more value than United with a well set out plan or strategy acted out by accomplished, knowledgeable staff” (your words) but despite asking you more than once which clubs they are, and actually giving you two, you won’t answer.

Which means that, apart from the DoF, you are left without a case.

So we’ve agreed on a DoF type of role. That’s good.

Otherwise you keep citing all these other clubs “creating more value than United with a well set out plan or strategy acted out by accomplished, knowledgeable staff” (your words) but despite asking you more than once which clubs they are, and actually giving you two, you won’t answer.

Which means that, apart from the DoF, you are left without a case.
Go on, I'll bite.

What's your actual argument? Mine is that United lack skills and experience in key areas that has led to not making full use of the resources available and operating extremely slowly. You say "you can't have Brighton or Brentford, they spend loads". They do now, initially they identified an underutilised area (statistical analysis) and they mined it. If you want clubs who punch above their weight financially then Luton, Norwich, Plymouth, Rotherham, Stevenage, Exeter, Lincoln, Stade Reims, Atalanta, Bolognga, Girona, Union Berlin, Hoffenheim, Freiburg and many others. Admittedly, there's always a ceiling to it. But I do think those sort of teams lead the way on ROI.

Funnily enough, the best example may well be United 16-19. Kind of disproves my theory I know 😂 But what there was was a repeatable strategy. Players known to Wilder or players who started at big clubs and had dropped down the leagues to find success. Things kind of fell off when that strategy was abandoned.

What United do well is recruit at academy level where that ex-big club strategy holds true. PH has a well deserved reputation for taking good care of development too. Bit that's another reason he needs more help. The higher up the leagues, the harder the job with the 1st team. Wilder ended up stretched too thin.

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way and the key is consistency of strategy over the long term. My feelings are tgat Unitedhave been firefighting for too long and that more experience solves that. But maybe they are perfect and it's just money. Chances are it's something in-between

You mean you don’t you. :)

You’ve been asked for proof by other posters. You’ve dodged them.

I haven’t asked you to agree with me. Now you’re making things up. Well, still making things up.

If you try to play with words, at least try to look intelligent. The accountant in question was me.

Go on, what do you do for a living? Let’s hope it’s not as a management consultant. Salting fries?
You think I want to fight you over comments on the internet? Are you 11?

I'm Sparticus

Back
Top Bottom