Stephen Bettis speaks to local Media

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

When Hecky was appointed I seem to recall the Prince saying that he wouldn't be judged on results.

Presumably an acknowledgement that the finances were a mess, even back then.
And he’s achieved great results so we have no idea if that’s true.

Long May that continue!!

There should have been a whole load of qualification work done by people whose time is less valuable to 1st team results before he’s troubled with anything like that.
Completely disagree.

The relationship between a manager and his players is fundamental to results.

If the player doesn't want to do what the manager needs, for whatever reason, then there is no point in progressing further no matter who the player is.

The reality of course is that many things happen almost simultaneously but the manager needs to be involved from the off.

Edit: we're dealing with people and emotions not commodities.

When I was working the one thing I always saw was that people do business with people they like, irrespective of the name on the door.

Doubly important when working in a "people" business

No. If the player doesn’t want to go to that club the deal won’t happen. It has to be done early.
Your 1st team manager should not be finding that out for you during the season though. That’s where respected, knowledgeable executives come in

Completely disagree.

The relationship between a manager and his players is fundamental to results.

If the player doesn't want to do what the manager needs, for whatever reason, then there is no point in progressing further no matter who the player is.

The reality of course is that many things happen almost simultaneously but the manager needs to be involved from the off.
You think the manager should be ringing a player still under contract? Talking to agents to find out salary expectations? Researching personality?

I don’t have an agenda. It’s football, not life or death. I’ve not said United should have spent more and, 4 games in it seems like the squad, barring a couple of glaring holes is a fair effort.

But, in my opinion, too much is left to the last minute. Too much responsibility lies with Bettis and PH. Resources we should be uniquely positioned to capitalise on (overseas loans) are regularly neglected. I’m not saying it’s easy. I am saying I don’t believe United make the most of the resources available
I didn’t specifically mention you as having an agenda.

But I think you have an opinion that is based on very little knowledge of the facts, complexities and what actually happens and, having voiced it, you are now trying very hard to justify it.

I didn’t specifically mention you as having an agenda.

But I think you have an opinion that is based on very little knowledge of the facts, complexities and what actually happens and, having voiced it, you are now trying very hard to justify it.
Trying very hard by repeating the stuff I’ve been saying since 2019? In my opinion, the club is understaffed in key areas. I have sufficient knowledge of the facts to have formed this opinion, basically that Wilder and then PH are being asked to operate as old style 90’s managers, controlling huge aspects of strategy while competing against clubs who have staff and repeatable process in place

Trying very hard by repeating the stuff I’ve been saying since 2019? In my opinion, the club is understaffed in key areas. I have sufficient knowledge of the facts to have formed this opinion, basically that Wilder and then PH are being asked to operate as old style 90’s managers, controlling huge aspects of strategy while competing against clubs who have staff and repeatable process in place
Where I do agree with you is that United should have a director of football. Having said that:

1. Hecky’s is a kind of hybrid role where he takes on some DoF roles, hence the huge day to day involvement of Lester & McCall in day to day first team affairs beyond just coaching.

2. When I analyse each deal from this window I don’t see which ones would have happened more quickly. Unless you can give me some insight on each deal that I don’t have?

Where I do agree with you is that United should have a director of football. Having said that:

1. Hecky’s is a kind of hybrid role where he takes on some DoF roles, hence the huge day to day involvement of Lester & McCall in day to day first team affairs beyond just coaching.

2. When I analyse each deal from this window I don’t see which ones would have happened more quickly. Unless you can give me some insight on each deal that I don’t have?
In my opinion, the Ndiaye situation should have been resolved in May/June. The dragging out of the final, big contract offer left the club vulnerable to what ended up happening. That brings the whole timeline forward. Even Bettis said “United can’t let players leave for free” so why wasn’t Ndiaye and Berge solved sooner.

Everything else revolves around that. Having McAtee as the main option was a choice and as much as I like him, he’s missed over 10% of the season including 3 games against possible bottom half teams. I do think it’s decisions like that where it’s almost impossible for PH to be objective.

Ndiaya was initially not prepared to discuss a contract, he and his agent held all the cards relating to all aspects of the deal.

Berge only ever wanted a one year extension? When Utd were made aware they set a target figure, told interested parties and eventually Burley came up with the right offer

Amazed with your apparent experience that people have to repeat things time and again. Meetings with you must have lasted ages

Bettis said they’d turned down offers for Berge as they didn’t reach our valuation. Berge wouldn’t agree to a new contract. How could that have been resolved sooner? Take less money and be accused of selling cheap?

As for Ndiaye the situation is well known. What could we have done to force the player to sign? HE changed his mind remember.

Joined up thinking required when “should haves” are thrown into the ring.

I can’t imagine Wilder or Hecky putting up with too much shit from the Prince or Bettis.

If they wanted extra help, I’m sure they would get it, especially when directors of football and additional administration staff aren’t going to be a huge expense in the grand scheme of things.

I can’t imagine Wilder or Hecky putting up with too much shit from the Prince or Bettis.

If they wanted extra help, I’m sure they would get it, especially when directors of football and additional administration staff aren’t going to be a huge expense in the grand scheme of things.
We send £1m+ a year to UW. That's where that money goes

So when Wilder/Hecky asked for a Director of Football, that was that the reason given?
So are we paying for the expertise that we don’t employ at the club but is available to us via UW?

In my opinion, the Ndiaye situation should have been resolved in May/June. The dragging out of the final, big contract offer left the club vulnerable to what ended up happening. That brings the whole timeline forward. Even Bettis said “United can’t let players leave for free” so why wasn’t Ndiaye and Berge solved sooner.

Everything else revolves around that. Having McAtee as the main option was a choice and as much as I like him, he’s missed over 10% of the season including 3 games against possible bottom half teams. I do think it’s decisions like that where it’s almost impossible for PH to be objective.
Resolving Ndiaye in May/June was probably out of the club’s hands. Maybe look to his agent on that one. Agents frequently stall things & have reasons for doing so.

Would you have gone for a lesser player than McAtee to get someone in earlier? If not, then again, the timing of it isn’t on the club.

Resolving Ndiaye in May/June was probably out of the club’s hands. Maybe look to his agent on that one. Agents frequently stall things & have reasons for doing so.

Would you have gone for a lesser player than McAtee to get someone in earlier? If not, then again, the timing of it isn’t on the club.
Offering him a contract he almost signed wasn't out of the clubs hands. They chose to hold that till the last second

McAtee was always the top target. I think there were other options that could have been sourced earlier. But if that's a PH decision on his head be it. I hope he's right

Offering him a contract he almost signed wasn't out of the clubs hands. They chose to hold that till the last second

McAtee was always the top target. I think there were other options that could have been sourced earlier. But if that's a PH decision on his head be it. I hope he's right
Ndiaye - neither of us has a clue about what talks were taking place, or whether his agent was even prepared to talk because he certainly had no need to. So possibly on the club, possibly not. My experience of how it works suggests to me that it probably wasn’t. That’s an informed opinion. You can’t make the agent of a player under contract negotiate.

Berge - Would you have accepted Burnley’s first offer? If so, I wouldn’t have you anywhere near one of my businesses.

McAtee - thanks for admitting that it wasn’t down to how the club handles business.

Other business - I can’t see one that could have been concluded earlier without spending a lot of money we don’t have. You haven’t disagreed.

There are 4 parties to every deal. Often the only way to speed things up is to overpay. Which is easy when it’s someone else’s money. Employing more staff won’t do it. Growing a magic money tree might.

Yes and we’re expected to accept it and get relegated like the compliant little fans we are.

Seems as though you should go and support the club up the road, Leeds, reading, Derby etc. etc.

Or alternatively support SuFC, a team and club that wants to run its business within appropriate budgets

Back
Top Bottom