Spunked away 53.5 million

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Article in the star saying we have had a net spend over the last five years of £116 million , not bad when you look at it like that

What's the point in getting promoted to the PL if we're not going to do the things, one of which being the payment of the standard rate for wages, which give a decent chance of establishing there?

I agree with what you are saying, but I would say it's balance of risk in a way.

Maybe CW didn't think the balance of risk was worth what it was going to cost for Watkins for example. I don't know, i'm just putting it out there as a possibility.

If I can use my car analogy again, I looked at a couple of cars that were "cooler" than the one I ended up with, but the balance of risk made the one I bought the wiser choice*

*although the DS3 is a nicer looking car than the C3.................

Some of our fans have egg on their face.

There were several saying “paying 30 million for Brewster will be a bargain when in a few years he’s worth over 60 million” Also regards wages they said pay Brewster whatever he wants.

At the time I explained that Brewster was one for the future. He’d do very little this season but in 2 or 3 years will be a star.

If we were offered 15 million now I reckon 75% of our fan base would take it. Then when he’s scoring loads of goals in the PL in a few years time those same fans will be complaining why we sold him so cheaply.

You do know how much two midfielders that would have made a difference would cost don’t you ?
With no guarantees they would have made the difference!
The hatred for our team and manager is beyond belief
It’s actually bordering on scandalous if I am honest. These people moaning will be the ones moanino even louder if we end up going through managers like we have in the past. The reason we are even talking about buying players at 20m is down to one man. We have suddenly bred some a group of fans who think we should be playing the likes of Chelsea and beating them comfortably. some of the comments in shout box during the game were disgraceful.

Last edited:
What's the point in getting promoted to the PL if we're not going to do the things, one of which being the payment of the standard rate for wages, which give a decent chance of establishing there?
You do realise I assume what getting promoted to the PL and staying for more than a season has done for the club. without the footing of being in the league we couldn’t compete. Within 4 years we have gone from a league one team to a team that can at least be seen as a top championship team. Without major investment its baby steps, ok this year has been disappointing but you also have to factor in the injuries and also the lack of fans. However we now go down with a very very strong championship squad on wages that won’t cripple us. We are taking a small step back but I believe if we hold our nerve we go back up with a bit of a freshen up.

There were several saying “paying 30 million for Brewster will be a bargain when in a few years he’s worth over 60 million” Also regards wages they said pay Brewster whatever he wants.

At the time I explained that Brewster was one for the future. He’d do very little this season but in 2 or 3 years will be a star.

If we were offered 15 million now I reckon 75% of our fan base would take it. Then when he’s scoring loads of goals in the PL in a few years time those same fans will be complaining why we sold him so cheaply.

If that's true then 75% of our fan base are puddings.

It's a game
Premier League clubs do whats necessary

And we play at it.

Let's be right, we don't even behave like a Championship club when we're in that division either.

Getting promoted was a miracle

Just like it was last time under Warnock and the time before under Bassett.

To quote Wilder who once said he wouldn't 'spunk' away money like other clubs.

McBurnie - 20 million
Brewster - 23.5 million
Mousset - 10 million.

If that's not 'spunking' away money I don't know what is.

Swansea, Liverpool and Bournemouth must be laughing all the way to the bank.

McBurnie is pathetic, Brewster is rubbish and gets the strop on everytime he isn't picked and Mousset should just get in his car (which he'd probably get injured doing) and drive back to France.

It says it all that Billy and Didzy who we signed for a combined total of 500K are our best strikers by a country mile.

Wilder as well as Prince need to take a long hard look at themselves I'm afraid we will just have to take the losses on Mcpub and Mousset and get them off the wage bill. Problem is we'd have to pay a team to take them off us. Diabolical, desperate and shambolic recruitment upfront.
tenor.gif

Could you tell us which 3 players you would have signed instead. I'm curious that's all.

When we signed McBurnie, he had just scored 22 championship goals.

We signed Brewster who scored 10 goals in 19 games for Swansea.

I guess Chelsea fans feel the same way about Timo Werner. He got 35 goals last season.
MK4BLADE

Decided not to answer? I'm curious. Tell me who you would have signed instead

How long has it taken DCL to get to that level? Mcburnie has had one full season on the premier league and has pretty much had to play every week. DCL spent a fair amount of time in Everton’s youth team. There is no comparison, why not judge mcburnie when he has a season with us in the league below? Gets another season on his back gets a bit of confidence up?
I was more referring to how the team plays (or is instructed to play) when McBurnie is playing. I actually like him, I think he brings a lot to the team. It’s not his fault the ball is automatically smashed at him from all angles.

Problem is we’re terrible with McBurnie in the side because we treat the game then as if we have Ashley Barnes or Andy Carroll up front.

All that happens then is defences double on him and don’t give him a touch, no other arial threat in the squad that isn’t CB.

53m is peanuts in the Premier League. Peanuts. You get what you shop for. We are in the Home Bargains/Lidl/Aldi bracket. Those guys come at a cost but will be on less than 30k a week. We didnt want to break a wage structure and I am happy to do that. When we go down, and its more than certain, lets see how "McShitty" does in Champ. Then we can start giving them grief.

53m is peanuts in the Premier League. Peanuts. You get what you shop for. We are in the Home Bargains/Lidl/Aldi bracket. Those guys come at a cost but will be on less than 30k a week. We didnt want to break a wage structure and I am happy to do that. When we go down, and its more than certain, lets see how "McShitty" does in Champ. Then we can start giving them grief.
it is peanuts for the premier league but its a lot for a club of our stature dont think anybody would really argue about keeping the club financially stable by keeping a certain budget on salaries but the simple facts are that at this time the premier league is too rich for us especially with our salary cap as for mcburnie im not a fan at all but its make or break for him next season and although hes scored plenty of goals at championship level im not convinced he will do it with our system and playing style hope im wrong and he smashes it

Really dont understand this, why should McBurnie be judged on next season??? We've bought him for the premier league not the championship otherwise what was the point in signing him, he did well in the championship, the step up to the prem for him is too far. why on earth would we judge him in the championship. He's a classic example of strikers who do well in the championship but cant make the step up like Vydra, Grabban, Gayle, Gray and Pukki for that matter. I as a fan want to be a premier league club and he's not prem quality

Really dont understand this, why should McBurnie be judged on next season??? We've bought him for the premier league not the championship otherwise what was the point in signing him, he did well in the championship, the step up to the prem for him is too far. why on earth would we judge him in the championship. He's a classic example of strikers who do well in the championship but cant make the step up like Vydra, Grabban, Gayle, Gray and Pukki for that matter. I as a fan want to be a premier league club and he's not prem quality
We all want a premier league club but you do understand we cannot afford premier league players don’t you? I think what he is staying is McBurnie is still a young player and has had only had a season and a half in the premier league. Maybe give him time instead of writing him off straight away.
There seems to be this idea that once we got up we should be signing players from the premier league and other top leagues around the world. Even if we did sign these players that all these people think we should be signing how do you know they would work out? Look at some of the top 6 and the money they have spent on players who have flopped.

We all want a premier league club but you do understand we cannot afford premier league players don’t you? I think what he is staying is McBurnie is still a young player and has had only had a season and a half in the premier league. Maybe give him time instead of writing him off straight away.
There seems to be this idea that once we got up we should be signing players from the premier league and other top leagues around the world. Even if we did sign these players that all these people think we should be signing how do you know they would work out? Look at some of the top 6 and the money they have spent on players who have flopped.
But we can afford prem quality players if we shop abroad or are smarter with our money so yes i do understand. You're repeating what other people are saying. He's 24 mate thats not young in a football career

But we can afford prem quality players if we shop abroad or are smarter with our money so yes i do understand. You're repeating what other people are saying. He's 24 mate thats not young in a football career
No we can’t we have a wage structure and these players that you dream of signing break this structure. Like it or not we are trying to live within our means which is the correct way to go about things. We are getting relegated so what it won’t be the first time this club has been relegated and it won’t be the last. However what we are doing is making it stronger bit by bit and without major investment it is the only way to do it.

No we can’t we have a wage structure and these players that you dream of signing break this structure. Like it or not we are trying to live within our means which is the correct way to go about things. We are getting relegated so what it won’t be the first time this club has been relegated and it won’t be the last. However what we are doing is making it stronger bit by bit and without major investment it is the only way to do it.
Im pretty sure if we go abroad it wont break our wage structre, theres plenty of overseas players who are well within our budget who would have been better than McBurnie

Im pretty sure if we go abroad it wont break our wage structre, theres plenty of overseas players who are well within our budget who would have been better than McBurnie
The difficulties of this came to fruition last season. And its going to get harder now with Brexit - ie you need to have right set of credentials to qualify for a visa. Berge was bought in from Europe. However, again he wont be on big wages. I'd love to have got Maupay, Watkins, Cash, Benrahma etc etc but they will be on serious dough at the clubs they signed for. McBurnie seems to get the harshest criticism of any of our "new" players. The lad scored 5 goals in prem last season - joint top scorer? If we do drop to the Championship and he flops then I will think that the criticism will be justified.

I agree in part, but let's for arguments sake we get back up, what do we do with Mcburnie..? He isn't good enough for the premier league, and championship clubs won't be able to afford to buy him..? Therefore we are back where we started. The lad has a heart as big of a bin lid, and I think he'll be an asset next season.

I agree in part, but let's for arguments sake we get back up, what do we do with Mcburnie..? He isn't good enough for the premier league, and championship clubs won't be able to afford to buy him..? Therefore we are back where we started. The lad has a heart as big of a bin lid, and I think he'll be an asset next season.
Sometimes players can become better Premier League players with a few seasons outside of the top flight and if they have a better supporting cast. Look at Bamford for Leeds. He has played in Premier League before and had scored only a couple of goals. He now has 10 goals and counting this season. So players can reenter Prem and be better. Do we play to McBurnie's strengths? Crosses into the box this season have been low and flat. He is better in the air - his only goal was a header from a corner.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I'd take 15 quid and a spunk-encrusted sock at the moment. He's useless. A waste of a wage.

The players take a knee at the beginning of every match to show solidarity against racial discrimination for the skin tone not being white, legally people can be fined or even jailed for these offences and yet some of our young players are discriminated against on this site by our so called fans by being given hurtful names which must get to harm their mentality. They were bought for a pittance in premier league terms and agreed much lower wages in the premiership norm. We had to shop at lidl but we bought the cream (if goal scoring in the championship the previous seasons counted).The white ones first:- Olly McBurnie was loved by fans for his goalscoring at Barnsley and Swansea, he didn't do too bad for us in his first season in the premiership when the midfield and overlapping centre backs were playing out of their skins so.....why is he getting slated this season? He definitely is not 'wank' or 'shit' he is having to play in a different way to what he confidently knows he can score which was usually on the floor, he's not too bad at defending too. Our young goalkeeper Rammers is getting a lot of stick, poor kid is getting the jitters by having no defence helping him, the difference he played for us when he had the calming influence of Phil Jagielka being in charge of the defence. He ain't as good (yet) as Hendo but the Man Utd. goalkeeper is pushing out one of the world's best in David de Gea. Hendo was prone to one or two ball's ups but got away with it because of the times he saved us losing points in the relatively trouble free two sucessful seasons he was here bless him. Rammers gets slated for not cheating by diving early when facing penalties, he's too slow getting down, he does too handy at palming shots back into the danger spots, he's cap and not worth the millions he cost the club I have read in the posts on the forum well.... he has been in the England U21 set up, played around 50 premiership matches for two clubs in a relegation set up, gaining bags of experience against the premiership finest strikers and is only 22 years old.
Rhian Brewster scored goals for fun last season on loan from Liverpool at Swansea, still only 20yrs. Is there something in the air at Swansea or is it the way they play the striker in. If our team had performed as well as they did last season he would be the best thing since sliced bread, a striker needs service and minutes on the pitch a young striker needs nurturing, praising and helping he doesn't get that, he can't make the runs in to the box whilst we are playing triangular fuck about in the middle third eventually getting out of position as the ball slowly passes from one side to the other and eventually back to rammers or more likely to the other team. It also doesn't help that our star midfielder Mr Lundstram isn't interested in giving his all and still gets picked for every match, he wants to leave but nobody wants him for a fee. With an attitude like that I wouldn't want to sign him. Maybe the three midfield Johns have had their day, Mr Fleck just coming into form and is ill, Mr Norwood not quick enough for top flight football and needs an extra second to think of what to do or just passes to the opposition, thing is he'll get that extra time in the championship and be able to ping to his hearts content. That leaves John Lundstram, is he so pissed off that the systems broken and can't be arsed to do owt or ain't he willing to put himself about without extra wages being put on the table. At 27yrs he should be at the top of his form but he's a mardy arse who isn't helping the young strikers by not feeding the ball into the box for them to run onto. Mr Bogle was getting plenty of stick early in the season but since has come good and the bad comments about him have died down but I'm sure that he'll get blasted again if he has a few bad games. I hope the youngsters don't come on the forum. As for Lys Mousset :- he's French!
Sorry for rant, I've supported this team for nearly 60 years and apart from a few promotions and the county cup we have not won anything, not qualified for European competition via a league position or had a league cup or fa cup win, Portsmouth have so have Wigan, even them at rust bucket. I hate having our young players pulled to bits for the failings of the team or management. We have the best chance to build a successful team without having to sell players to make ends meet, we should do well next season with a superior squad of young players to be able to gain promotion like Norwich are doing this season. Be able to reap more premier league TV money to enable the Prince to invest more solidly in the club.
Run out of ink, I'm out of here.

It is not so much the money spent on a fee for a player but what you can actually pay players in wages which gets you your number one targets.

Back
Top Bottom