Match Thread Southampton v. Sheffield United - 13th December 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SOUT
SOUT
SOUT

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1607596552548.png v. 1607596559324.png
EPL Week 12 - Sunday 13th December 2020 - St Mary's

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/southampton-vs-sheffield-united.520/

Officials:

Referee:
Andy Madley
Assistant Referee: Eddie Smart
Assistant Referee: Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: Gavin Ward
Video Assistant Referee: Robert Jones
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage: TO BE UPDATED.

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 10.38.13.png

Got tickets for the panto at The Crucible next Thursday - looks like its come early, what a bunch of clowns

Its still premier league WOW!!! I'd rather be competing in the championship than getting beat without fight every week in this league 100%. I get you like to see the big boys but to watch this really?
me anall mate totally outclassed today and could have lost by 6 very depressing times

It’s so hard to watch. If Wilder was coming into this job now he’d change the lot like he did at the start of his first season. I love him but it’s as though he can’t take a step back and see that the formation and lineups aren’t working. Forget the overlapping CB’s when we don’t have O’Connell and find something that might give us half a chance.

Decision time for the Prince stick with Wilder or twist and get someone else in before January, this can't carry on something has to give.
What's the rush? Whoever comes in will not save us might as well take our time and find the right onr

This is as bad as I've seen this season and it's shite - but it's still Premier league and as a club we've had many many many worse teams than this

You're typical of posters this year - short memories.

UTB
I never mentioned anything about the team. On paper this is one of the best teams that we have ever had as a club.

I commented that this is as bad as I have ever seen us play. You obviously disagree but don’t try to condescendingly pigeon hole me just after you have condescendingly attempted to question my time watching the blades.

Yes agreed, his levels have dropped this season. But who the fuck is going to try and keep the ball and create something if Berge doesn’t.
Fleck ? Norwood ? Osborn ? Lundstram ? Not one of those players has the ability (on current showing) of keeping possession for any length of time. Sometimes just keeping hold of the ball is key to building an attack.

UTB !

It all started with the team selection, but to be fair I don’t think any other players would have done any better, we have a VERY poor squad and I see no change! It began with the recruitment we needed 2 good strikers and got Brewster for 23mil! 😡 a good attacking midfield we gotta young kid Ampadu? Is he a defender or a midfielder? Definitely going down with the worst ever points, and if we can’t get ride of some of these players (all on good money) for the Championship next season!

Last edited:
The season is more or less over.

Perhaps a small boost could be gained when attendance is allowed back at Bramall Lane? Or when (if?) O'Connell gets back?

That being said the heads have gone. Morale is abysmal and the players have more or less accepted relegation.

I feel physically sick after watching that! 🤮

Time after time after time this season we have let shit easy goals in.
I've tried to give Ramsdale a chance... but truthfully imo... he is one of the worst unorthodox goalkeepers I've seen in a long time. It pains me to say that.

Why are we no longer pressing teams like we used to? Makes no difference now as we still lose 3-0 so why not press harder?
That was pathetic. Even their limited fans were ripping the piss with chants of "olé".

I don't think the problem is the strikers. Its the rest of the team!!! Enda/Fleck are shadows of them former selves amoung others such as Norwood.

I was still optimistic upto todays match. But think we are done for now!
Don't think the club and the fans should start acting like Wednesday and start a sacking spree. Its a lot more disruptive and we've been down that road over 10 years ago and look where it led us. I just wish the players could really know what the fans are feeling as I suspect that with our fans behind them or on their back they would be pressing a lot harder as the fans wouldn't allow them to do otherwise.

The sad thing is - the other teams haven't got better- its us that have much worse.

Midfield player Ratings

Fleck- 2/10
Ampadu - 3/10
Berge- 3/10

Not even trying to be controversial- they genuinely don't deserve higher score- from start to finish they were dire.

Whats happened to Fleck the drop off is absolutely ridiculous.

And as for McBurnie- he is literally no better than a pub player.

I went did some ironing in the kitchen and I absolutely hate ironing 🙄...just couldn’t watch anymore.

Dread watching us lately. I put us on my phone and put the Grand Prix on. That's been shit too but at least I'm not as emotionally invested.

Tbh its a bloody disgrace. They’re on money most of us can only dream of,
& so they should be putting in 100% Every week, without fail. A pathetic capitulation of a season which threatens to completely undermine Wilders legacy.

Worst performance of the season but a long margin. First 25 minutes were the most embarrassed I've been as a fan. We literally just gave the ball and allowed them to put ball after ball through. On another day, with better delivery and if it wasn't raining, we would have been at least 3 down before halftime. We picked up briefly in the second half and actually pressed them high but that lasted about 10 minutes. We then just regressed into the negative lacklustre side we've seen most of the season. Kind of running around but never really having any confidence that it would amount to anything. The starting line-up was quite clearly, to just about everyone, wrong. I mean, We strengthened the midfield, at the cost of the defence, when they have 4 attacking players that will just run in behind us all day. Made no sense.

Ramsdale: 6.5 - Didn't really do much wrong today. A couple of crosses he should have claimed but made a couple of very sharp saves one-on-one. Distribution was poor but otherwise, by default, our best players
Stevens: 5.5 - Ridiculous booking which could have been more and made a few ricks today. More solid than Lowe, but maybe less going forward.
Jag: 4 - Lost every aerial battle, looked slow and they played off his shoulder. He keeps going and showed more effort than most but he's past it and should be nowhere near a Premier League starting line-up. Why he got handed a new deal is beyond me.
Egan: 4.5 - At fault for the first goal and looked like an accident waiting to happen on several occasions. Made a couple of good blocks but a bad day at the office.
Bash: 5 - Didn't notice him once first half, which probably works in his favour. Started the second much further forward and looked dangerous but that didn't last very long. Pulled off as per always for the same change that never works every game.
Baldock: 5 - Too slow at times and caught on the ball. Hardly got forward but actually put in a decent cross today. made a couple of good blocks and recovering challenges
Ampadu: - 4 - On the occasions he had it at his feet he looked edgy and lacking confidence. Nothing going forward. Players ran through him, as the defensive pivot, at will.
Fleck: - 4 - Made a couple of decent runs forward but then again gave the ball away badly a couple of times again. Zero impact on the game
Berge: 4.5 - Get a point for having our best 2 chances but loses half a point for messing them up so badly. Again, nothing from him. Could have played anyone in our midfield today, would have not made a difference.
McBurnie: 5 - Decided to play foul his man and managed to injure himself bwung a nobhead. Came back into midfield and helped out but then no one in front of him
Sharp: 3 - fuck me, this is your saviour? All he does is try to fall over and get a free kick. Did zilch. Nada. Nothing. How he started ahead of Brewster is a joke.

subs:

McGoldrick: 5 - Gets a point for at least winning some headers and managing to hold the ball up a bit. Loses one for being incredibly slow and getting caught on the ball multiple times
Brewster: 4 - I'm kind of assuming he came on the pitch then had to go off for a very long shit because didn't notice him once
Mousset: 4 - He looks exciting and dangerous, until he gets on the ball. Looked shattered after 2 minutes. Made the least effort possible to close men down after that 2 minutes.

Wilder: 1 - The starting line-up was clearly terrible and yet here we are. The worst 25 minutes under his management (I do wonder what he says to motivate them, I wish he'd shut up instead). We were playing a team on form with 4 quick attacking player so plays a 38 year old in a back 3, who was immediately targeted. In playing him at the back, it meant our wingbacks couldn't get out because there would be acres of space to run into. Playing Sharp upfront, which makes no sense since he's not even been on our bench and the Sharp and McBurnie pairing we know doesn't work (and shit, shock, horror, it didn't work). The formation that has seen us fluke a draw is not the problem though. Awful. May as well let Knill have a go again. Can't possibly be worse than how he's doing.

Southampton - They have had a great start to the season but the conditions didn't help them at all. They were poor today. If they were on form we could have picked up the record for heaviest Premier League defeat.

Didn't watch, didn't look at the score, didn't check to see how we were doing

Just knew

And people think 32000 are gonna flood back to the Lane soon and all our problems will be over

It's a good job no fans are at our games, they are a disgrace

People keep going on about the fans not being in the ground. If the fans were back in at the lane how many fights would there be at the back of the kop or concourse, that would lift the players no end wouldn't it seeing the fans kicking the shit out of each other all over the ground.
we saw it a lot when Adkins was there and The wilder in vs the Wilder out fans would be a total car crash. Probably a good thing there is no fans in at the moment TBH

Unfortunately Sharp has gone, playing Jags today was suicidal, Brewster and Moose are both not good enough, Ampadu is a complete waist of space Fleck, for some reason seems to be gone? the midfield was terrible even Burge had a poor game and we basically don’t have any strikers at the club! the pre season recruitment was disastrous, I wonder what the Prince things about the money CW wasted, plus how do we get them out of the club and off the wage bill for next season?

Yes agreed, his levels have dropped this season. But who the fuck is going to try and keep the ball and create something if Berge doesn’t.
Fleck ? Norwood ? Osborn ? Lundstram ? Not one of those players has the ability (on current showing) of keeping possession for any length of time. Sometimes just keeping hold of the ball is key to building an attack.

UTB !
Agreed mate I don’t think we have the player at the club right now. We knew pre-season we were short on a midfielder or two and it is really showing

Agreed mate I don’t think we have the player at the club right now. We knew pre-season we were short on a midfielder or two and it is really showing
We are stuck with what we have I’m afraid this season mate. How come we don’t seem to attract/sign proven attacking midfielders ? Lunny last year was good but is a shadow of that form this year, maybe due to the contract wrangle. Not since Michael Brown have we had that type of player.

Back
Top Bottom