Match Thread Southampton v. Sheffield United - 13th December 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SOUT
SOUT
SOUT

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1607596552548.png v. 1607596559324.png
EPL Week 12 - Sunday 13th December 2020 - St Mary's

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/southampton-vs-sheffield-united.520/

Officials:

Referee:
Andy Madley
Assistant Referee: Eddie Smart
Assistant Referee: Derek Eaton
Fourth Official: Gavin Ward
Video Assistant Referee: Robert Jones
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Andy Halliday

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage: TO BE UPDATED.

Screenshot 2020-12-10 at 10.38.13.png

Looks a solid lineup but there's no pace in there at all. We Need goals!!

£25million and Brewster is what... 5th choice forward atm?? An air of desperation and hoping sharp scores against a former club for me.

jags has been a brilliant player but against a young pacy, pressing Southampton forward line.... I remain to be convinced this is the right choice

time will tell. Come on lAds!

Wtf is going on?

I'm not a fan of Bryan but he was no worse than most others last week and finds himself dropped from the squad for no aoparent reason. Replaced by a 38 year old who will be up against Adams and Walcott.

Sharp, who has not been making the bench, leapfrogs our record signing (because he's playing against his old club?)

Burke dropped from the squad?

Fuck knows what Wilder's doing here but hope by some miracle it works.

Zero pace, so we’re going to absorb pressure & conceded goals 🤷‍♂️

Is anyone else thinking we may be playing 4-4-2 or is just me
I didn’t but that would make more sense given the line up. Push Bash into midfield. Of our fit centre halves, the only pairing I’d think would work in a back 4 would be Egan and Jags.

Everybody talking about pace, we have one player with pace and he isn't a very good footballer. Also when I was about 10 I remember the coach pulling out the fastest runner in the team and demonstrating how running fast is one thing but passing quickly will beat it every day.

I didn’t but that would make more sense given the line up. Push Bash into midfield. Of our fit centre halves, the only pairing I’d think would work in a back 4 would be Egan and Jags.

Egan and Jags vs Adams and Ings would scare the crap out of me. We have zero pace in there. Sure Ampadu would play in a back 2, just for that?

Yeah, lifelong Blade fan and successful Blades manager, Chris Wilder... Is waving the white flag. He's given up, he doesn't care, he's lost the plot, he's forgotten how to manage...

Jesus wept.

OR the best season in our living memory was derailed by a global pandemic, the whole atmosphere changed (literally) after a significant break in play. Since then it's been a struggle that any reasonable person should actually sypathise with.

I can sympathise all day long. It doesn’t change the fact that all we’ve heard since the start of this season is excuse after excuse after excuse.

I can take losing but to go down with a whimper like we are... that’s not for me

Wilder needed to be bold but not by going backwards. Mousset and Brewster have pace/goals to offer. Brewster looked good at WBA but was on bench last week as well not coming on until 80th minute. Not enough time. That line up will struggle for goals. But I hope I'm wrong. I still trust Wilder. I'm not as worried about the defence as the attack. Maybe it will see us through to half-time.

That is about the best 11 we could put out.
Which highlights one glaringly on boys thing ... we lack any sort of pace on all departments.

this can be counter acted by keeping hold of the ball and being sensible with our game management however on current form we are doomed

Everybody talking about pace, we have one player with pace and he isn't a very good footballer. Also when I was about 10 I remember the coach pulling out the fastest runner in the team and demonstrating how running fast is one thing but passing quickly will beat it every day.
Ah but on football manager and fifa pace is king 🤣🤣 in real life we all know it isnt

Egan and Jags vs Adams and Ings would scare the crap out of me. We have zero pace in there. Sure Ampadu would play in a back 2, just for that?
If it was “just for that” we could play Burke there. I’ve seen nothing from Ampadu that makes me think he is currently suitable to play as a centre half in a PL back four.

But, tbh, it looks like a last throw of the dice for me. The way I see it is that without JOC our system doesn’t work. But we don’t have the players to play a different system. This looks like an attempt to grind out a point, or to nick a win by keeping it tight and trying to spozz a goal from a set piece or a defensive mistake.

Everyone complaining about pace cleary forgets about the fact we're not gonna have space to make use of that pace anyway. Southampton is gonna wait for us and counter us. Our forwards will get lots of crosses this game, so starting with Sharp and McBurnie makes sense. That being said, I think McBurnie - McGoldrick was our best option today, but I totally understand starting Sharp over Brewster & Mouset.

Brewster might be fast, but he literally can't play football so I rather have a slow striker that actually can do something with a ball than a pace horse.

Looks a week team, don’t understand the Jags and Ampadu selection ?

Back
Top Bottom