Pre-Season 17/18 Sheffield United v. Stoke City - 25/07/17

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I thought today would see the best of us in pre-season, when we have to raise our game to compete, as opposed to playing lower league teams. All looking promising to be honest. Pre-season is misleading at times though. I remember we had a good one under both Weir and Adkins and then had a dreadful start to the season!

IMG_1553.JPG

Thought we were excellent tonight. Coutts, Freeman and Carruthers were running the show first half. Second half we had great cameos from Duffy and Brooke's was certainly not overawed playing against Premier league defenders, he must have had 3 shots before he scored. Clearly we intend to keep playing the passing game and I can't se why these players can't prospers this year. All in all I really enjoyed it. In Wilder we trust.

UTB

That goal won't make any difference to his value, as McCabe probably sold him last week :D
And in all honesty he didn't achieve a great deal before it. Ran a few blind alleys, lost the ball a few times, but you still can't take it away from him.

He needs time to improve and mature.

And in all honesty he didn't achieve a great deal before it. Ran a few blind alleys, lost the ball a few times, but you still can't take it away from him.

He needs time to improve and mature.

It's been a while since I've got excited about one of our lads coming through. I like what I've seen, albeit that's not much

He looks to have all the attributes to go a long way in his career

I just hope he can spend a fair bit of it with us

All young uns are a bit up and down and inconsistent with a mistake in them (CW told me that :) ). It's how they are. But I firmly believe we have a real player on our hands

I was particularly impressed by our defence.

Keeper was excellent, stearman did ok, wing backs Freeman and Stevens did well but Basham and O'Connel were imense, even if Jack did give the ball away for their goal.
Just in front of us, Jack should have had a shout and I don't think he got one.

Really enjoyed the game tonight and it was a 'proper' game too. Very competitive and all bodes well for the new season. Shaqiri was class for them but we played really well as a team. Eastwood looked fine and couldn't be faulted for the goal.

Class act from the Blades tonight - easily the best team (2-1 flattered Stoke). Their manager, fans and players were surprised by us for sure. Some more surprises coming the way of some folk closer to home too!

How did Sharp & Lavery look together tonight?

On paper they would be my striking partnership and would like to see them get more game time together.
Nowhere near good enough as a partnership and I think Wilder will realise this after tonight. Clarke did enough in his late cameo to earn a starting place for the next game.

Nowhere near good enough as a partnership and I think Wilder will realise this after tonight. Clarke did enough in his late cameo to earn a starting place for the next game.

Yes unfortunately I have to agree tonight, Clarke and Sharp will start against Brentford. I like Lavery but he doesn't look a goal scoring threat often enough.

Could have done with the extra striker signing but it looks like we have put those eggs in the Ched basket.

The Radio Stoke presenters have again said they were impressed us, particularly with our defence.
Mentioned that we're like Chelsea, play a back 5 and make very few changes, so the defence all know each other.

They both said that teams that get promoted often find it difficult in a new league and are involved in a relegation battle but said they've be really surprised if we're down near the bottom, one said we've no worries and will be fine next season.

Mentioned that we've won our previous 4 friendlies with an impressive win away at Malaga
So maybe they under estimated Sheffield United and this result isn't as bad as what it might seem.
Does my heading when pundits say we are like Chelsea. Chris wilder was he very first manager last season to change in to 3-5-2

Impressed with everyone tonight, Only criticism was how deep Fleck and particularly Coutts went second half meaning we were no threat going forwatf and surrended hige amounts of territory. Rallied after Clarke and Brookes came on and barnstorming finish deserved the winner. Brooks non stop off the ball movement is amazing and he made one chase back tackle that was the epitomy of those TC used to do. Surprised we lrft Shakiei alone as much and no surprise when he equalised.
Good show all round,thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

Good performance tonight. We started well, looked to press all over the pitch and good work by Lavery resulted in Billy showing his good positional sense and killer instinct. Thought Lavery should have done better with the header but the lad looked a threat all round. Carruthers did very well i thought but there is clearly more to come from him, needs to improve his decision making. Defence did their job and looked solid for the most part. Basham, in my opinion, was our best defender tonight. Stearman looks solid and composed and is clearly the voice in that back line. Wing backs were solid, Enda looks like a player who won't accept getting beat and Freeman looked strong, quick and aggressive. Coutts and fleck rarely looked overly flustered and majority of the time they demanstrated confidence and composure on the ball. Duffy did alright. Clarke and Brooks did brilliant as well when they came on. Brooks is quick, skillful and full of confidence. Brilliant finish. However, the play that led to the winner was brilliant. it started from a kick by Eastwood, who looks an excellent prospect by the way, very commanding and did well on the Shaqiri freekick. Anyway the second goal. A big kick by Eastwood was brilliantly controlled by Clarke who then turned the play and got the ball out wide on the right side. This then led to a few efforts at goal before Freeman was released and he then squared to the Brooks- brilliant play and a good demonstration of our hunger.

Overall, I thought it was a good test. We had to deal with chasing the ball for longish spells but we showed energy and good organisation as we kept our shape and dropped into shape well all game. Stokes goal was against the run of play but a player like Shaqiri can pop up and do that to you. Their goal knocked us a tiny bit but we still looked to play our own game and it's clear this group of players are not capable of imploding. We have a group of players who look very hungry to me and they're all showing that they want to battle for the shirt. I have no doubts regarding quality, spirit, fight, strength or even goals. We have good options at the top of the pitch in my opinion, but i would add some pace. Obviously need a goal keeper but Eastwood looked capable tonight and he didn't have any wobbles at all which is brilliant for the defenders and the whole team. Next season we'll be reyt in my opinion. Can't bloody wait na!

Oh ye, dunno why Shaqiri got clapped of tbh. He's a good player and scored a good goal but he did what all the other Stoke players did most of the game, which was to knock a diagonal ball to Crouch, only thing is Shaqiri knocked it up to him with a bit more style!

It's been a while since I've got excited about one of our lads coming through. I like what I've seen, albeit that's not much

He looks to have all the attributes to go a long way in his career

I just hope he can spend a fair bit of it with us

All young uns are a bit up and down and inconsistent with a mistake in them (CW told me that :) ). It's how they are. But I firmly believe we have a real player on our hands
Well de giralomo might have made if if it wasn't for a serious injury which set him back, fair enough after the injury his attitude wasn't good, but what could have happened if it wasn't for the injury? Could have atleast sold him instead of realeasing

Well de giralomo might have made if if it wasn't for a serious injury which set him back, fair enough after the injury his attitude wasn't good, but what could have happened if it wasn't for the injury? Could have atleast sold him instead of realeasing
Roflpmp

Back
Top Bottom