Match Thread Sheffield United v Luton Town - 22nd January 2022

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Brewster going off is almost certainly a fitness optimisation thing. The club will have data on all the metrics and it looks like they don’t think he can do the full 90 and then play again afterwards. If true (I’m speculating of course), then it doesn’t matter how well he’s playing on the day - they won’t want to risk him.

Masterclass performance, Luton got rolled over today and had no answer to us! Thoroughly enjoyable game to watch, Bogle MOTM for me, hes a fucking terror down that right hand side and Luton just could not deal with him today!

Well Played Blades:

MOTM for me: Brewster (Goal and got their man sent off)
2nd: Bogle (Caused Luton nightmares, turned them inside out time and time again)
3rd: Norwood (Got the assist and overaall his radar was absolutely spot on today, had the ball moving this way and that)

Well Played Blades:

2nd: Bogle (Caused Luton nightmares, turned them inside out time and time again)
3rd: Norwood (Got the assist and overaall his radar was absolutely spot on today, had the ball moving this way and that)
Ndiaye unlucky to miss out but those 3 where particularly good today. UTB

Well Played Blades:

Agree with those 3 though I’d reverse the first 2.

I’m going to give a lot of credit today to someone I’ve criticised: Norwood was decent in the first half and excellent after the break, creating the 2nd and causing the sending off. Some superb passing and even some movement.

Once we got the goal it was very, very comfortable against a poor side who showed less up front than anyone we’ve seen. Aside from RND’s finishing, nothing but positives!

Seemed to start with a Derby/Preston hangover but sparked into life when we decided to get stuck in.

Wonder what the odds were on Brewster and Robinson scoring in the same game?! Great stuff as both needed a confidence boost.

Managed the game way better than at Preston but part of me wanted us to go in for the kill just in case goal difference counts for anything.

Much better performance over the 90.

First half was a bit scrappy. Two well-matched and well-organised teams cancelling each other out. We started it better they ended it better. We were moving the ball way too slowly.

Second half, much better. Quicker passing, more movement, more tempo. Very easy win in the end. They didn't have anything second half.

Wes - 6 - Nothing to do except an easy safe first half. Much better with the kicking today.
RND - 6.5 - Got forward a lot and put a few decent crosses in. Lots of energy. Had several shot.
Robinson - 7.5 - Solid at the back. Passed it nicely. Got forward well and scored his first goal for the club. Good reaction after the last two games and you can see how much it meant to him
Egan - 6 - Solid. Bit sloppy but not much to do really.
Basham - 6.5 - Solid and got forward well.
Bogle - 8 -Best game for us today. Our most dangerous player and lots of great skill. But, today he defender well also.
Norwood - 7.5 - Great freekick for the second and pinged a lot of good balls around. Also got more stuck in. Best game of the season from him
Hourihane - 7 - Continues to improve for me. Need to do better in tackles but getting there. Lots of energy and offering for the ball
Ndiaye - 6.5 - Lot really his day today. Seemed to put too much on his passes first half. Better in the second and he's always causing problems
Brewster - 7.5 - Glad he got the goal and got the defender sent off as well. Continues to improve and nice to see him so willing to shoot
Sharp - 6 - Not his day but always offered upfront and pulled defenders around.

Subs

Berge - 6 - Much better. Kept finding space and making himself available. I'm not sure about his choices or confidence in his own abilities but did what was needed.
McGoldrick - 5 - Thought he made himself available but made bad choices
McBurnie - 5.5 - Looks very rusty but good to see him on the pitch

Heck - 8 - Much better after two bad results. We were set-up really well today and learned from the debacle, Brewster for Berge was the substitution to make and we saw the game out with an extra man in midfield while having many chances to increase the lead.

Luton - They were ok first half and had the best chance and a disallowed goal but offered absolutely nothing second half. I assumed they'd be more difficult to beat.

It was fine. Tick off a few wins in our run of home games and we'll be in the mix for the playoffs- don't and we possibly won't.

Decent signs though- we don't know if Heckingbottom'll do owt yet but Brewster, Norwood, Bogle looking more confident every game. If he can do the same with a few others too we're in business.

Its a good win boy we need the points...BUT it should have been more some poor shots off target

Good performance, Bogle was excellent. Also thought Egan was great, not much to do but did it all well and bought the ball out from the back and kept play moving.

Good team effort with a line up that a lot of people would have criticized before a ball was kicked.

Luton, gash.

Just got back home from the match. Credit to the team but Luton were shocking. Another team who dive all over the place and conned the referee couple of times in the first half and some were really blatant. Even Norwood had a good game.

Cracking goal from Brewster he is starting to come good and gets back to help out too. Dont think Billy is an ideal strike partner for him though, sadly.

Utterly confused. Total Jekyll and Hyde season. Have no idea whether Hecky’s approach and squad is going to explode or implode!?!

Can anyone recall a similarly bizarre season and remind us how it ended?

Back
Top Bottom